Brussels Airlines in 2019

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Boeing767copilot

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2019

Post by Boeing767copilot »

dev7 wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 12:27 Of course the headlines are focused on the Eurowings integration being called off, but at the same time a 'turn around plan' has been announced for Q3.

This timing is very likely a tactical move to avoid industrial action during the Summer season, in which case I'm sure the plan won't be to the liking of the personnel and unions.
A turn around plan can also be positive. New aircraft, new routes, extra impulses, etc.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

jan_olieslagers wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 12:23
Would this wise decision not be partly due to the efforts and good work of the German CEO Christina Foerster?
Partly, perhaps. But I'm sure the powerful influencers at luchtz^h^h^h^h^h aviation24.be contributed at least as much!
Thanks! If you mean this article:

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/luft ... f-its-ceo/

I can agree with you. I had a meeting with the Vice President Communication of Brussels Airlines shortly after writing the article, and I can tell you that she listened with attention. She is German and she came to Brussels Airlines from Lufthansa.
André
ex Sabena #26567

dev7

Post by dev7 »

Boeing767copilot wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 12:30
dev7 wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 12:27 Of course the headlines are focused on the Eurowings integration being called off, but at the same time a 'turn around plan' has been announced for Q3.

This timing is very likely a tactical move to avoid industrial action during the Summer season, in which case I'm sure the plan won't be to the liking of the personnel and unions.
A turn around plan can also be positive. New aircraft, new routes, extra impulses, etc.
Why not announce that already then?

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

jan_olieslagers wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 12:23
Would this wise decision not be partly due to the efforts and good work of the German CEO Christina Foerster?
Partly, perhaps. But I'm sure the powerful influencers at luchtz^h^h^h^h^h aviation24.be contributed at least as much!
Why oh why thede childish remarks?

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

PttU wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 12:15
Boeing767copilot wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 10:47 LUFTHANSA announces a re-orientation of Brussels Airlines: closer alignment with Network Airlines; integration into Eurowings will not be further pursued.

The best news ever. :D
Not to be the party-pooper that brings rain on this sunny day, but...
What if "Brussels Airlines" will indeed remain for the long haul flights, but Eurowings will take over some European Flights, gradually increasing it's foothold at BRU, slowly phasing out the destinations, crew and aircraft of SN?
What if Eurowings for instance takes over the flights to and from HAM, TXL,... as Eurowings has a strong German base?
What if Eurowings takes over the flights to Heraklion, Marsa Alam, or other ex-TC-destinations, as those are clearly point-to-point? SN can still codeshare on these flights, but it would still match with "focus on A320" and point-to-point, and add some brand recognition for Eurowings in Brussels.
That way "closer alignment with Network Airlines; integration into Eurowings will not be further pursued." remains valid, but not necessarily good news for the long term.
It seems fairly logical to me to shift (a part of) the leisure flying and p2p heavy destinations to EW.

ezis_bis

Post by ezis_bis »

PttU wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 12:15 What if Eurowings for instance takes over the flights to and from HAM, TXL,... as Eurowings has a strong German base?
What if Eurowings takes over the flights to Heraklion, Marsa Alam, or other ex-TC-destinations, as those are clearly point-to-point? SN can still codeshare on these flights, but it would still match with "focus on A320" and point-to-point, and add some brand recognition for Eurowings in Brussels.
I think that bringing *all* short haul flights still under EW would bring us back to the issue we have now (rather complicated operations for EW), plus you downgrade the service on some routes with lots of frequent travellers (TXL, HAM). There are quite some connecting passengers here .
This is contrary to what LH seems to say today; focus more on the point to point in the home markets, and allign SN more with Network carriers.

What I can see happen though, are indeed the 100% tourism flights indeed becoming EW. I see some sense in that.
Even though, the Eurowings Short Haul presentation of today completely omits Belgium in this respect, so here again I don't think it is what they have in mind (at the moment, maybe they change their mind again).

Now, maybe thinking about the costs (and where to cut) at SN maybe isn't a bad idea either. There are quite some old gas guzzlers buzzing around, sadly.

https://investor-relations.lufthansagro ... ations.pdf

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

What a relief really a great day today.. :D :D :D
Hasta la victoria siempre.

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Green union LBC - CNE: "The identity and the specificity of Brussels Airlines are recognized by the LH group mangagement. Brussels Airlines will look for optimizations and savings and look at synergies within the Lufthansa Group.

We will be a regular airline carrier again: still fighting low cost and optimize our Long-Haul network."

SkyTourist

Post by SkyTourist »

PttU wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 12:15
Boeing767copilot wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 10:47 LUFTHANSA announces a re-orientation of Brussels Airlines: closer alignment with Network Airlines; integration into Eurowings will not be further pursued.

The best news ever. :D
Not to be the party-pooper that brings rain on this sunny day, but...
What if "Brussels Airlines" will indeed remain for the long haul flights, but Eurowings will take over some European Flights, gradually increasing it's foothold at BRU, slowly phasing out the destinations, crew and aircraft of SN?
What if Eurowings for instance takes over the flights to and from HAM, TXL,... as Eurowings has a strong German base?
That way "closer alignment with Network Airlines; integration into Eurowings will not be further pursued." remains valid, but not necessarily good news for the long term.
When going through the Capital Markets Day presentations (https://investor-relations.lufthansagro ... ations.pdf, no visual sign of Brussels, so anything is still possible ...
Attachments
LH2019-06-24 13.10.46.png

mad_fab

Post by mad_fab »

This slide is interesting
Attachments
Screenshot from 2019-06-24 13-26-50.png

saratoga

Post by saratoga »

I foresee more sn flights transferred to Cityjet to cut expenses!

SkyTourist

Post by SkyTourist »

mad_fab wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 13:30 This slide is interesting
Yep, only mention of LH aircraft

C96C

Post by C96C »

SkyTourist wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 13:35
mad_fab wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 13:30 This slide is interesting
Yep, only mention of LH aircraft
The slide is about Longhaul...

mad_fab

Post by mad_fab »

C96C wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 13:38 The slide is about Longhaul...
My point, exactly. No other mention of SN in the whole presentation.

ezis_bis

Post by ezis_bis »

mad_fab wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 13:40 My point, exactly. No other mention of SN in the whole presentation.
The page of the presentation above is;
Longhaul of EW today (so BRU is in a different colour, as today SN is a separate part of EW)

and it litterally says it will be realigned and not integrated in EW

theeuropean

Post by theeuropean »

I think we will know more at the end of Q3 with the turn around plan. Let's see what's in store.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

theeuropean wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 14:04 I think we will know more at the end of Q3 with the turn around plan. Let's see what's in store.
I don't think we'll have to wait that long. Brussels Airlines nv/sa allways publishes its annual account (jaarrekening/comptes annuels) in the second part of June. The 2018 result is already known to Lufthansa, so within a few days we'll know more or less what Lufthansa means with "turnaround plan for Brussels Airlines".

mad_fab

Post by mad_fab »

ezis_bis wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 13:56 and it litterally says it will be realigned and not integrated in EW
I get that, just figured this statement was only about the long-haul routes.
I wonder what's going to happen to the short haul routes.

dev7

Post by dev7 »

Passenger wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 14:11
theeuropean wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 14:04 I think we will know more at the end of Q3 with the turn around plan. Let's see what's in store.
I don't think we'll have to wait that long. Brussels Airlines nv/sa allways publishes its annual account (jaarrekening/comptes annuels) in the second part of June. The 2018 result is already known to Lufthansa, so within a few days we'll know more or less what Lufthansa means with "turnaround plan for Brussels Airlines".
Why would they disclose their future strategy in their statutory accounts?

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

dev7 wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 14:54
Passenger wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 14:11
Why would they disclose their future strategy in their statutory accounts?
I didn't say they will disclose theor future strategy. I only said: "...so within a few days we'll know more or less what Lufthansa means with "turnaround plan for Brussels Airlines"...

Their annual account is much more then just figures. They explain why a result is very good or very bad. Example: the loss from the refused insurance payout for the 22/03/2016 attacks was in the 2017 account.