Recognizing planes

Share pictures, log-reports, special aircraft, nice events, hints and tips from the Belgian airports

Moderator: Plane spotting team

airwolfke

Recognizing planes

Post by airwolfke »

Hello,

I'm totally new to the forum, I'm from Belgium and I do speak Dutch.
We have taken plenty of flights with our daughter and on 16th May we are flying again from Brussels Airport, I want to visit the spotters platform before we fly. Right now I want her to teach her the different planes and how to recognize them.
My plan is to print some of the pictures that are posted on the forum here, thanks so much for the high quality pictures! So I'm able to recognize them and also teach my daughter.
So my question is: where do I start? I wouldn't know the difference between a 777 and a dreamliner. That would be the first step. Then we have a dreamliner-8, 9, 10. This probably has to do with the seats available and you would need to start counting windows or so? Don't know yet if I want to go that far into recognizing!

thanks for the help!

spottermm

Re: Recognizing planes

Post by spottermm »

Hi,
I think to recognise aircraft more easily is to observate a lot the different aircraft existing and compare them, near an airport or even on the internet for example on a forum or on the different aviation news,... you can also check the different aircraft flying live on "Flightradar24", I think it could be quite useful.
Also, maybe try first to differenciate the main brands, for example Boeing models beside of Airbus models.

Hope it could help you ;) !

DIBO

Post by DIBO »

I'm not very active as a spotter, so certainly not an expert. I would start with focusing on the nose, the tailcone; that's already enough to spot the difference between A32* family and B737. Nose difference between B777 & 787 is enough (or landing gear). For B787 & A350 wingtips and certainly the engine cowling (chevrons).
For subtype differences, I can't offer much advise (except for fuselage length). A319/320/321 is easy enough for me, but spotting subtypes of the 777, 787 is not my strong-point and even less on the A350.

This is a good source for learning to spot the differences: https://www.airlinerspotter.com/airbus- ... g-tips.htm

Hope that helps.

airwolfke

Post by airwolfke »

Thanks that's a very good link, it will help thanks!
Right now I printed all the different types of Airbus, Boeing, ATR & Bombardier and the most common airlines.
It will be a nice experience for her, thanks!

airwolfke

Post by airwolfke »

So I guess the flightradar24 app is your preference for ios?
Is there also one that you can recommend for android?

thanks

Yuqu12

Post by Yuqu12 »

Flightradar24 app works just fine on android as well. I'm using it since I started spotting back in 2015 ;)

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

@airwolfke: you could of course also try and get your little darling to take an interest in actively flying, rather than in "being flown". She's still very young, now is the right time to catch her imagination with flying gliders, or radio controlled models. Take her to the local fields for either sport - with any luck she'll be bitten! All the rest will follow suit.