Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Post Reply
User avatar
Conti764
Posts: 1775
Joined: 21 Sep 2007, 23:21

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Post by Conti764 »

sn26567 wrote:
15 May 2019, 11:02
brusselsairlinesfan wrote:
15 May 2019, 07:18
nordikcam wrote:
14 May 2019, 20:36

What were the SN long haul plans ? And does have BRU a plan B...if SN into EW disappears...?
That’s It... no SN expansion simply means no BRU expansion !
Nature hates vacuum. If SN disappears, many vultures are ready to swallow its remains.
Like when Sabena went belly up... Sending heaps of 320's and 737's into the airport flying pax to their respectitive hubs.

nordikcam
Posts: 1067
Joined: 24 Aug 2008, 10:22
Location: Uccle

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Post by nordikcam »

A very dark future for the Airport...sort of Charleroi North with Eurowings as homebase...brrrr !

TLspotting
Posts: 2371
Joined: 19 Mar 2017, 10:22
Location: Uccle/Ukkel,BE
Contact:

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Post by TLspotting »

nordikcam wrote:
14 May 2019, 20:36
Stij wrote:
14 May 2019, 13:38
My bet? Uncertainty about Brussels Airlines long haul plans…

Cheers,

Stij
What were the SN long haul plans ? And does have BRU a plan B...if SN into EW disappears...?
North American flights to be for Eurowings.

Rumour of a flight from Brussels to California, most likely LAX, spotted on another forum but it will probably be under EW brand...
Hi. I'm T., spotter and aviation geek. Join me on Facebook & Twitter @TLspotting

TLspotting
Posts: 2371
Joined: 19 Mar 2017, 10:22
Location: Uccle/Ukkel,BE
Contact:

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Post by TLspotting »

EBBR or EBMB, still the same terrain...
Hi. I'm T., spotter and aviation geek. Join me on Facebook & Twitter @TLspotting

Passenger
Posts: 6820
Joined: 06 Dec 2010, 20:54

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Post by Passenger »

Rumours are that Brussels Airport will soon --- given the dissappearance of Brussels Airlines --- construct a special Wailing Wall (Klaagmuur / Mur des lamentations) for forum mourners.

Location will be next to check-in row 1, where passengers for the Eurowings flights to Kinshasa, Kigali and other ex Brussels Arlines (RIP) AFI-destinations check in.

User avatar
Conti764
Posts: 1775
Joined: 21 Sep 2007, 23:21

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Post by Conti764 »

Passenger wrote:
15 May 2019, 21:09
Rumours are that Brussels Airport will soon --- given the dissappearance of Brussels Airlines --- construct a special Wailing Wall (Klaagmuur / Mur des lamentations) for forum mourners.

Location will be next to check-in row 1, where passengers for the Eurowings flights to Kinshasa, Kigali and other ex Brussels Arlines (RIP) AFI-destinations check in.
Next to the wailing wall where you can cry during the next strike?

User avatar
Conti764
Posts: 1775
Joined: 21 Sep 2007, 23:21

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Post by Conti764 »

TLspotting wrote:
15 May 2019, 19:26
nordikcam wrote:
14 May 2019, 20:36
Stij wrote:
14 May 2019, 13:38
My bet? Uncertainty about Brussels Airlines long haul plans…

Cheers,

Stij
What were the SN long haul plans ? And does have BRU a plan B...if SN into EW disappears...?
North American flights to be for Eurowings.

Rumour of a flight from Brussels to California, most likely LAX, spotted on another forum but it will probably be under EW brand...
What are SA benefits for EW longhaul?

brusselsairlinesfan
Posts: 877
Joined: 29 Mar 2007, 14:44

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Post by brusselsairlinesfan »

No need for a new pier with SN becoming EW! Forget about hub and connectivity!

Boavida
Posts: 496
Joined: 14 Sep 2010, 23:54

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Post by Boavida »

When I arrived at BRU a few weeks ago I realised that the current terminal does no longer meet international standards. Especially the entire arrival hall (baggage reclaim area + public arrival area) is WAY too small:

- low ceiling gives it a dated and almost claustrophobic look
- I saw lost baggage being stored next to the luggage belts (near the offices of Swissport & Aviapartner). Apparently they don't have place to store these in sealed off areas. Never seen this at any other airport! It even smelled really bad. I saw bags with destination FIH, OSL, ORD,... You can just take any bag you want!
- there is no daylight anywhere
- the public area of the arrival hall is so cramped. Too many people for a way to small area. Also, not any daylight.
- when you exit the building, you're under an ugly concrete flyover/viaduct

Seriously, BRU.

Maybe this terminal design was OK in the 90's, it certainly isn't anymore in 2019, let lone in 2020 or 2040!

They should construct an entirely NEW departure/arrival terminal. A modern, airy design at this location:

Image

There is plenty of space here. Lots of old hangars are already demolished here, they just need to destroy the old Swissport building (is foreseen in a few years). They could build the new terminal while operations continue in the old one, so no problems there. The new terminal perfectly connects to the Connector, Pier A and Pier B. Also plenty of space to arrange a new departures/drop off curb in front of it.

When I see the "BRU 2040" project I have the impression they still want to use the current terminal. But I'm really convinced you can't modernise the current terminal to meet 21st century standards. You just can't. The only option is to build a new one. I hope they realise this and don't waste too much money at an old terminal which simply can't be transformed into a 'terminal of the future'.

User avatar
luchtzak
Posts: 11460
Joined: 18 Sep 2002, 00:00
Location: Hofstade, Zemst - Belgium
Contact:

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Post by luchtzak »


Jetter
Posts: 475
Joined: 06 Nov 2015, 21:07

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Post by Jetter »

:lol:

User avatar
Conti764
Posts: 1775
Joined: 21 Sep 2007, 23:21

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Post by Conti764 »

Boavida wrote:
19 May 2019, 16:08
When I arrived at BRU a few weeks ago I realised that the current terminal does no longer meet international standards. Especially the entire arrival hall (baggage reclaim area + public arrival area) is WAY too small:

- low ceiling gives it a dated and almost claustrophobic look
- I saw lost baggage being stored next to the luggage belts (near the offices of Swissport & Aviapartner). Apparently they don't have place to store these in sealed off areas. Never seen this at any other airport! It even smelled really bad. I saw bags with destination FIH, OSL, ORD,... You can just take any bag you want!
- there is no daylight anywhere
- the public area of the arrival hall is so cramped. Too many people for a way to small area. Also, not any daylight.
- when you exit the building, you're under an ugly concrete flyover/viaduct

Seriously, BRU.

Maybe this terminal design was OK in the 90's, it certainly isn't anymore in 2019, let lone in 2020 or 2040!

They should construct an entirely NEW departure/arrival terminal. A modern, airy design at this location:

Image

There is plenty of space here. Lots of old hangars are already demolished here, they just need to destroy the old Swissport building (is foreseen in a few years). They could build the new terminal while operations continue in the old one, so no problems there. The new terminal perfectly connects to the Connector, Pier A and Pier B. Also plenty of space to arrange a new departures/drop off curb in front of it.

When I see the "BRU 2040" project I have the impression they still want to use the current terminal. But I'm really convinced you can't modernise the current terminal to meet 21st century standards. You just can't. The only option is to build a new one. I hope they realise this and don't waste too much money at an old terminal which simply can't be transformed into a 'terminal of the future'.
The low ceilings in the arrival hall can't be dealt with due to the structure, however they might have an opportunity to have more natural daylight if they'd demolish the old, unused departure curb. Just retain crossing sections to the entrances and the exit and open up the rest, maybe even installing some trees and other green.

That 'new terminal' at the site you're pointing out to (Swissport) was once a serious option. However, I don't know what the plans are with that particular piece of airport. The old 80-ish Swissport building and the grey plated walls of the terminal are plain ugly. I hope they do realise a new terminal there, although the couldn't just abandon the old terminal due to capacity issues.

brusselsairlinesfan
Posts: 877
Joined: 29 Mar 2007, 14:44

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Post by brusselsairlinesfan »

Conti764 wrote:
19 May 2019, 22:43
Boavida wrote:
19 May 2019, 16:08
When I arrived at BRU a few weeks ago I realised that the current terminal does no longer meet international standards. Especially the entire arrival hall (baggage reclaim area + public arrival area) is WAY too small:

- low ceiling gives it a dated and almost claustrophobic look
- I saw lost baggage being stored next to the luggage belts (near the offices of Swissport & Aviapartner). Apparently they don't have place to store these in sealed off areas. Never seen this at any other airport! It even smelled really bad. I saw bags with destination FIH, OSL, ORD,... You can just take any bag you want!
- there is no daylight anywhere
- the public area of the arrival hall is so cramped. Too many people for a way to small area. Also, not any daylight.
- when you exit the building, you're under an ugly concrete flyover/viaduct

Seriously, BRU.

Maybe this terminal design was OK in the 90's, it certainly isn't anymore in 2019, let lone in 2020 or 2040!

They should construct an entirely NEW departure/arrival terminal. A modern, airy design at this location:

Image

There is plenty of space here. Lots of old hangars are already demolished here, they just need to destroy the old Swissport building (is foreseen in a few years). They could build the new terminal while operations continue in the old one, so no problems there. The new terminal perfectly connects to the Connector, Pier A and Pier B. Also plenty of space to arrange a new departures/drop off curb in front of it.

When I see the "BRU 2040" project I have the impression they still want to use the current terminal. But I'm really convinced you can't modernise the current terminal to meet 21st century standards. You just can't. The only option is to build a new one. I hope they realise this and don't waste too much money at an old terminal which simply can't be transformed into a 'terminal of the future'.
The low ceilings in the arrival hall can't be dealt with due to the structure, however they might have an opportunity to have more natural daylight if they'd demolish the old, unused departure curb. Just retain crossing sections to the entrances and the exit and open up the rest, maybe even installing some trees and other green.

That 'new terminal' at the site you're pointing out to (Swissport) was once a serious option. However, I don't know what the plans are with that particular piece of airport. The old 80-ish Swissport building and the grey plated walls of the terminal are plain ugly. I hope they do realise a new terminal there, although the couldn't just abandon the old terminal due to capacity issues.
With Star Alliance and brussels airlines (or better said Eurowings) not going to invest into connectivity @ BRU, you can forget about any hub strategy. In this context, do you think that the BRU 2040 project still is on the paper ?

User avatar
Atlantis
Posts: 4466
Joined: 12 Apr 2005, 00:00

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Post by Atlantis »

The BRU 2040 project is still on the table, of course. Nothing is changed. We don't know for sure that they will do with SN/EW on the European market, how much and what kind of product. We don't know about the long haul plans about Africa and NA or will there be even more long haul.

With this German client you don't know bcs they are not transparent.

But as an airport, as a Star Alliance hub, you can't wait for somebody. If you wait too long, you can miss the boat or train like we say.

So that's why, like in one of my other topics, why to not invest, flirt with other big alliances like OW. They have already a good presence here, but it can be even more. The place is there

So the development should go further, in phases, not everything in once. And on this way the BRU 2040 project is build on. First A-Pier West, then new terminal, then extra C-pier, etc. If the market will drastically chance, then you can drop one of the less big projects bcs you will have already the space in the former build ones.

F.e. the current B-concours you also can refurbish. By the end of 2020 it will have renewed air bridges, all of them, but you also can do the inside

TLspotting
Posts: 2371
Joined: 19 Mar 2017, 10:22
Location: Uccle/Ukkel,BE
Contact:

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Post by TLspotting »

Taking off to faraway places soon and coming by train to Brussels Airport? Well… try to check-in while waiting for your train! We started with 2 kiosks in Antwerp-Central station 2 months ago, in collaboration with NMBS, and now you can also find 2 kiosks in Brussels-Midi station. Check-in, take the train, and if you travel with hand luggage only you can go straight to the security screening at the airport! 🚂✈️
FB_IMG_1558534147140.jpg
Hi. I'm T., spotter and aviation geek. Join me on Facebook & Twitter @TLspotting

PttU
Posts: 379
Joined: 24 Nov 2015, 15:07

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Post by PttU »

If you only have hand luggage, don't you use an on-line check-in, or from your mobile phone? Are those kiosks used often?

User avatar
Atlantis
Posts: 4466
Joined: 12 Apr 2005, 00:00

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Post by Atlantis »

Look at the article of KLM, they do the same. You can check in your baggage at a certain point, check yourself in, take the train and at the airport you can go to the gate.
You will see this more and more. Aviation will and has to change

https://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieuws/ ... stimuleren

User avatar
Atlantis
Posts: 4466
Joined: 12 Apr 2005, 00:00

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Post by Atlantis »

PttU wrote:
22 May 2019, 21:06
If you only have hand luggage, don't you use an on-line check-in, or from your mobile phone? Are those kiosks used often?
I think that even most of the people are using on-line check-in. But it is still needed to do it also at the airport or on remote places.

Brussels Airport has also a remote check-in at Brucargo. You can park the car there, check-in your luggage and yourself to the flight and take the shuttle to the terminal.

This you also can do, and should be even more implemented, that you can do the same in the parking towers. This will avoid big crowds in the departure area and everybody can go directly to security check.

This could people make less stressed if they have this option on several places

Passenger
Posts: 6820
Joined: 06 Dec 2010, 20:54

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Post by Passenger »

Atlantis wrote:
22 May 2019, 21:18
Look at the article of KLM, they do the same. You can check in your baggage at a certain point, check yourself in, take the train and at the airport you can go to the gate.
You will see this more and more. Aviation will and has to change.
https://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieuws/ ... stimuleren
Indeed - aviation has to embrace railways, even for routes where they are competitors now. KLM is willing to cancel AMS-BRU-AMS when the railways network connects to their early morning business departures (06h-07h), when Thalys and/or Eurostar stop at the AMS Schiphol Airport Railway station, and if one can check in at the railway station (as shown with some photo's, yesterday).

User avatar
Atlantis
Posts: 4466
Joined: 12 Apr 2005, 00:00

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Post by Atlantis »

Passenger wrote:
22 May 2019, 22:31
Atlantis wrote:
22 May 2019, 21:18
Look at the article of KLM, they do the same. You can check in your baggage at a certain point, check yourself in, take the train and at the airport you can go to the gate.
You will see this more and more. Aviation will and has to change.
https://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieuws/ ... stimuleren
Indeed - aviation has to embrace railways, even for routes where they are competitors now. KLM is willing to cancel AMS-BRU-AMS when the railways network connects to their early morning business departures (06h-07h), when Thalys and/or Eurostar stop at the AMS Schiphol Airport Railway station, and if one can check in at the railway station (as shown with some photo's, yesterday).
Exactly. Nowadays all kind of transport should work together and give to each other smooth connections. If trains can start driving as from 4 am, they can bring the first passengers to the first flight. The same with busses.

De Lijn, MIVB, NMBS should work better together with BRU. If they offer good, early and also late connections it would be good.

If BRU wants to create this multiple transport hub at BRU then there is work to do

Post Reply