Air Belgium in 2019

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Post Reply
User avatar
sounilr21
Posts: 32
Joined: 12 May 2019, 14:11
Location: Namur, Belgium
Contact:

Re: Air Belgium in 2019

Post by sounilr21 »

TLspotting wrote:
14 May 2019, 08:32
brusselsairlinesfan wrote:
12 May 2019, 00:35
After the diseaperance of SN into EW, Air Belgium will certainly become the last belgian carrier... wish ‘em good luck and my support !
https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/luft ... gs-livery/
sounilr21 wrote:
12 May 2019, 14:56
Air Belgium it's a joke !

We are in may, and the summer peak begin next month. And we have no more information about the next destinations offered.

It's sad to watch no more development from this airlines and commercials spots the find news customers (other that U-tour, ...).

Why not :
Boston or Philadelphia ;
Chicago ;
Miami ;
Montreal or maybe New York ;
Bangkok.
Unfortunately,they said Zhengzhou was for Spring, but the end is in 38 days, I don't see when they will launch it but there will be no Belgian on board because they already booked their holidays...

There has been no TV Commercial, but many ads through Belgium.

About America, AB clearly said it was for Winter 19-20.

China was firstly chosen due to its shareholders, nearly the half of it is Chinese...
Boavida wrote:
13 May 2019, 12:31
I'm afraid the whole business plan of Air Belgium has turned out to be a failure. They want to be a low-cost airline in a situation where Belgium is already invaded by numerous low-cost airlines, and with our "national carrier" being transformed into a low-cost also... Secondly, they chose to fly long haul to some Chinese cities from CRL instead of BRU.

With SN gone in the coming year(s), they should present themselves as the new flag carrier, full-service quality airline to Brussels, home of numerous international institutions and the second biggest diplomat city in the world. There must be a market for this.

Maybe in a partnership with a Gulf carrier? Why not?
They didn't start from BRU as AB knew CX was going to launch its route so the solution was to avoid BRU and fly from CRL, on the same route...

AB should be the next flagship airline but unfortunately we see them more at WAW, LHR, DXB, JFK, EWR,... rather than BRU or CRL...

The partnership of a Gulf carrier... Emirates is useless, Qatar is now Oneworld and they can codeshare with Air Italy... Etihad, AB will say no. Gulf Air and Kuwait Airways are the only solutions there ?

I think AB left HKG as they didn't see any development to come. Cathay Airways, ex Dragonair and HKexpress are now property of Cathay Pacific. HK Airlines is property of HNA Group, which flies from Brussels to Shenzhen, Beijing, Shanghai Pudong via Hainan Airlines.
JOVAN wrote:
13 May 2019, 22:13
I overheard some conversation about this.

QATAR AIRWAYS is a candidate to operate Transatlantic from BRU .
BRU is their first choice because of unique location, available capacity, enormous catchmen area and relatively few flights to US, CND etc.
QR also not keen to fight with KL & AF in their homebase. They know that NL and F governements will never allow their airlines and airports to 'surrender§ to a ME airline.
In Belgium it is another story, with a high degree of incompetence in all political levels.
But the market is still available.. Primera Air failed... Norwegian is still in the air but wondering for how long.

BRU is a market but no one dares to fly from there, that's why we think we are the middle of nowhere...
Yes the US (probably) destinations would be launched for this winter. But it's my opinion to open booking most early if possible in the belgian market to find belgians customers (and maybe french, dutch or german) with a large commercial campaing.

But i'm skeptical for this opportunity because the "commercial war" beetween US and China could compromise development. And so, Air Belgium have a half part of Chineses funds.


it's cloudy sky to Air Belgium. No dark, no sunny just difficult on this climate. Hopefull.

TLspotting
Posts: 2371
Joined: 19 Mar 2017, 10:22
Location: Uccle/Ukkel,BE
Contact:

Re: Air Belgium in 2019

Post by TLspotting »

Air Belgium considers twice weekly flights between Brussels South Charleroi and Fort-de-France, Martinique

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/air- ... artinique/
Hi. I'm T., spotter and aviation geek. Join me on Facebook & Twitter @TLspotting

ostair
Posts: 333
Joined: 19 Jan 2004, 00:00
Location: ostend

Re: Air Belgium in 2019

Post by ostair »

Is this to fill up the gap XL airways left when they closed the LILLE- Fort-de-France route?

TLspotting
Posts: 2371
Joined: 19 Mar 2017, 10:22
Location: Uccle/Ukkel,BE
Contact:

Re: Air Belgium in 2019

Post by TLspotting »

TLspotting wrote:
18 May 2019, 17:33
Air Belgium considers twice weekly flights between Brussels South Charleroi and Fort-de-France, Martinique

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/air- ... artinique/
Air Belgium spokesman Nicolas Boulart told Aviation24.be that a possible destination in Martinique is part of a broader plan covering other countries in the Caribbean.

Sint Maarten, Guadeloupe ?
Hi. I'm T., spotter and aviation geek. Join me on Facebook & Twitter @TLspotting

lucas
Posts: 177
Joined: 01 Feb 2017, 15:06

Re: Air Belgium in 2019

Post by lucas »

TLspotting wrote:
20 May 2019, 14:31
TLspotting wrote:
18 May 2019, 17:33
Air Belgium considers twice weekly flights between Brussels South Charleroi and Fort-de-France, Martinique

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/air- ... artinique/
Air Belgium spokesman Nicolas Boulart told Aviation24.be that a possible destination in Martinique is part of a broader plan covering other countries in the Caribbean.

Sint Maarten, Guadeloupe ?
I think it will not be Sint Maarten. If I'm right Tuifly launched them? Or will launch them. I think I read about it in some topic here. So I guess Guadeloupe?

TLspotting
Posts: 2371
Joined: 19 Mar 2017, 10:22
Location: Uccle/Ukkel,BE
Contact:

Re: Air Belgium in 2019

Post by TLspotting »

lucas wrote:
20 May 2019, 14:56
I think it will not be Sint Maarten. If I'm right Tuifly launched them? Or will launch them. I think I read about it in some topic here. So I guess Guadeloupe?
SXM has been cancelled...
Hi. I'm T., spotter and aviation geek. Join me on Facebook & Twitter @TLspotting

convair
Posts: 1812
Joined: 18 Nov 2011, 00:02

Re: Air Belgium in 2019

Post by convair »

TLspotting wrote:
20 May 2019, 15:07
lucas wrote:
20 May 2019, 14:56
I think it will not be Sint Maarten. If I'm right Tuifly launched them? Or will launch them. I think I read about it in some topic here. So I guess Guadeloupe?
SXM has been cancelled...
What is SXM please?

jan_olieslagers
Posts: 3085
Joined: 24 Jun 2006, 08:34
Location: Vl.Brabant
Contact:

Re: Air Belgium in 2019

Post by jan_olieslagers »

one of those silly ridiculous IATA "destination codes", no doubt

lucas
Posts: 177
Joined: 01 Feb 2017, 15:06

Re: Air Belgium in 2019

Post by lucas »

jan_olieslagers wrote:
20 May 2019, 18:03
one of those silly ridiculous IATA "destination codes", no doubt
Indeed, the one for Sint-Maarten. Why are they ridiculous?

jan_olieslagers
Posts: 3085
Joined: 24 Jun 2006, 08:34
Location: Vl.Brabant
Contact:

Re: Air Belgium in 2019

Post by jan_olieslagers »

Why are they ridiculous?
If we may be allowed to go off-topic (and if not, dear moderators, please feel free to remove!):
I do not not know why these codes are chosen/allocated in this ridiculous way. But perhaps you were asking "what is ridiculous about them"? :)

* they were only meant to indicate aerodromes with commercial service, they never even tried to be universal
* for lack of codes (3 characters A-Z yields only 26x26x26 codes, not a lot to cover all the world) some codes had to be used multiply
* even so, some codes were used for things other than aerodromes - Brussels South Railway station has an IATA code, I seem to remember, for one example - I understand this is because operators of high speed trains wished to sell their services on airline booking systems.
* even so, there are a good deal of aerodromes with commercial service that do not have an IATA code, so they fail even their basic purpose

From an aviator's point of view, IATA codes are rather useless, they can never be entered into an ICAO flight plan, for just one example. They are all about commercial air transport, but "aviation" is a much broader terrain.

TLspotting
Posts: 2371
Joined: 19 Mar 2017, 10:22
Location: Uccle/Ukkel,BE
Contact:

Re: Air Belgium in 2019

Post by TLspotting »

737MAX wrote:
20 May 2019, 18:58
TLspotting wrote:
20 May 2019, 14:31
TLspotting wrote:
18 May 2019, 17:33
Air Belgium considers twice weekly flights between Brussels South Charleroi and Fort-de-France, Martinique

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/air- ... artinique/
Air Belgium spokesman Nicolas Boulart told Aviation24.be that a possible destination in Martinique is part of a broader plan covering other countries in the Caribbean.

Sint Maarten, Guadeloupe ?
Did he tell you how they intend to fill in their planes? :?
No but he adds that AB keeps an eye on the current market and this is one of the stops on a large tour with a few countries, that's what I understood.

AB eyes Guadeloupe says VTAMagazine here :
https://www.veilletourismeantilles.com/ ... bruxelles/
Hi. I'm T., spotter and aviation geek. Join me on Facebook & Twitter @TLspotting

Acid-drop
Posts: 2721
Joined: 29 Jun 2005, 00:00
Location: Liège, BE
Contact:

Re: Air Belgium in 2019

Post by Acid-drop »

Guadeloupe & Martinique is a great idea, could be a easy triangle flight.
Now, the prices are very low from Paris ... good luck.
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

Jetter
Posts: 475
Joined: 06 Nov 2015, 21:07

Re: Air Belgium in 2019

Post by Jetter »

I’m quite baffled by this AB saga. Normally you have an airline with a plan that buys airplanes. Here there is an airline that first decides to buy airplanes believing that a profitable plan will follow. :? They don’t even seem to know what part of the world they want to fly to. Have to give them credit for still being around though.

b720
Posts: 865
Joined: 04 May 2006, 00:00

Re: Air Belgium in 2019

Post by b720 »

Stij wrote:
14 May 2019, 08:45
b720 wrote:
14 May 2019, 08:41
Problem with institutions and diplomats, they re all flying low cost or eco these days, even on long haul.. BRU does not generate premium pax like Zurich, Geneva, or FRA and Munich ..
The disadvantage oif our income equality...

Cheers,

Stij
Living standard at the above mentioned cities is considerably higher than it is here, actually.

Stij
Posts: 2237
Joined: 07 Mar 2005, 00:00
Location: Belgium

Re: Air Belgium in 2019

Post by Stij »

b720 wrote:
21 May 2019, 14:18
Living standard at the above mentioned cities is considerably higher than it is here, actually.
Even if you campare the larger region?

People from Lasne and Sint-Maartens-latem fly from BRU as well...

Cheers,

Stijn

Passenger
Posts: 6822
Joined: 06 Dec 2010, 20:54

Re: Air Belgium in 2019

Post by Passenger »

Martinique, how nice it is as holiday destination, is no destination for a Belgian stand alone carrier. They need collaboration with specialized touroperators to offer holiday deals and cruises packages, and no one is interested in an adventure with them, given their triple Hong Kong fiasco and their uncertain financial situation.

On top, it's the reverse way of doing business for such destinations. It could work when a touroperator has decided to go for it, and then looks for flights (TUI, Thomas Cook, Travelworld, Cruise Connection, ...)

The only reason why they bring this as news: "shareholders, have faith in us, we are really working on new destinations".

FLYAIR10
Posts: 514
Joined: 08 Sep 2008, 22:05

Re: Air Belgium in 2019

Post by FLYAIR10 »

A trip report WAW-JFK in a Air Belgium A340 for LOT.

https://flight-report.com/en/report/404 ... w-york-jfk

theeuropean
Posts: 203
Joined: 22 Dec 2009, 17:35

Re: Air Belgium in 2019

Post by theeuropean »

sounilr21 wrote:
16 May 2019, 11:31
TLspotting wrote:
14 May 2019, 08:32
brusselsairlinesfan wrote:
12 May 2019, 00:35
After the diseaperance of SN into EW, Air Belgium will certainly become the last belgian carrier... wish ‘em good luck and my support !
https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/luft ... gs-livery/
sounilr21 wrote:
12 May 2019, 14:56
Air Belgium it's a joke !

We are in may, and the summer peak begin next month. And we have no more information about the next destinations offered.

It's sad to watch no more development from this airlines and commercials spots the find news customers (other that U-tour, ...).

Why not :
Boston or Philadelphia ;
Chicago ;
Miami ;
Montreal or maybe New York ;
Bangkok.
Unfortunately,they said Zhengzhou was for Spring, but the end is in 38 days, I don't see when they will launch it but there will be no Belgian on board because they already booked their holidays...

There has been no TV Commercial, but many ads through Belgium.

About America, AB clearly said it was for Winter 19-20.

China was firstly chosen due to its shareholders, nearly the half of it is Chinese...
Boavida wrote:
13 May 2019, 12:31
I'm afraid the whole business plan of Air Belgium has turned out to be a failure. They want to be a low-cost airline in a situation where Belgium is already invaded by numerous low-cost airlines, and with our "national carrier" being transformed into a low-cost also... Secondly, they chose to fly long haul to some Chinese cities from CRL instead of BRU.

With SN gone in the coming year(s), they should present themselves as the new flag carrier, full-service quality airline to Brussels, home of numerous international institutions and the second biggest diplomat city in the world. There must be a market for this.

Maybe in a partnership with a Gulf carrier? Why not?
They didn't start from BRU as AB knew CX was going to launch its route so the solution was to avoid BRU and fly from CRL, on the same route...

AB should be the next flagship airline but unfortunately we see them more at WAW, LHR, DXB, JFK, EWR,... rather than BRU or CRL...

The partnership of a Gulf carrier... Emirates is useless, Qatar is now Oneworld and they can codeshare with Air Italy... Etihad, AB will say no. Gulf Air and Kuwait Airways are the only solutions there ?

I think AB left HKG as they didn't see any development to come. Cathay Airways, ex Dragonair and HKexpress are now property of Cathay Pacific. HK Airlines is property of HNA Group, which flies from Brussels to Shenzhen, Beijing, Shanghai Pudong via Hainan Airlines.
JOVAN wrote:
13 May 2019, 22:13
I overheard some conversation about this.

QATAR AIRWAYS is a candidate to operate Transatlantic from BRU .
BRU is their first choice because of unique location, available capacity, enormous catchmen area and relatively few flights to US, CND etc.
QR also not keen to fight with KL & AF in their homebase. They know that NL and F governements will never allow their airlines and airports to 'surrender§ to a ME airline.
In Belgium it is another story, with a high degree of incompetence in all political levels.
But the market is still available.. Primera Air failed... Norwegian is still in the air but wondering for how long.

BRU is a market but no one dares to fly from there, that's why we think we are the middle of nowhere...
Yes the US (probably) destinations would be launched for this winter. But it's my opinion to open booking most early if possible in the belgian market to find belgians customers (and maybe french, dutch or german) with a large commercial campaing.

But i'm skeptical for this opportunity because the "commercial war" beetween US and China could compromise development. And so, Air Belgium have a half part of Chineses funds.


it's cloudy sky to Air Belgium. No dark, no sunny just difficult on this climate. Hopefull.
Any news on Qatar, or when we should expect an announcement?

TLspotting
Posts: 2371
Joined: 19 Mar 2017, 10:22
Location: Uccle/Ukkel,BE
Contact:

Re: Air Belgium in 2019

Post by TLspotting »

The new Belgian carrier is going to fly for the LH-TK joint venture airline, SunExpress, between 31 May 2019 and 8 June 2019, from Germany/Switzerland to Antalya :

The list is not complete, due to missing info in SunExpress booking system.

31 May 2019 :

Code: Select all

XQ155 STR - AYT 16:40 - 20:55 A343 ----5-- 31/05/2019
1 June 2019 :

Code: Select all

XQ110 AYT - BSL 06:10 - 08:50 A343 -----6- 01/06/2019
XQ111 BSL - AYT 10:05 - 14:25 A343 -----6- 01/06/2019
XQ120 AYT - ZRH 15:45 - 18:20 A343 -----6- 01/06/2019
XQ121 ZRH - AYT 19:30 - 23:50 A343 -----6- 01/06/2019
2 June 2019 :

Code: Select all

XQ182 AYT - DUS 09:40 - 12:40 A343 ------7 02/06/2019
7 June 2019 :

Code: Select all

XQ131 MUC - AYT 13:10 - 17:15 A343 ----5-- 07/06/2019
XQ232 AYT - HAJ 23:35 - 02:25+1 A343 ----5-- 07/06/2019
8 June 2019 :

Code: Select all

XQ233 HAJ - AYT 03:50 - 08:20 A343 -----6- 08/06/2019
XQ181 DUS - AYT 15:00 - 19:10 A343 -----6- 08/06/2019
(Via Airlineroute for the initial info)

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/sune ... ming-days/
Hi. I'm T., spotter and aviation geek. Join me on Facebook & Twitter @TLspotting

TLspotting
Posts: 2371
Joined: 19 Mar 2017, 10:22
Location: Uccle/Ukkel,BE
Contact:

Re: Air Belgium in 2019

Post by TLspotting »

AB to fly for BA to Cairo as from 18 August 2019 until 31 October 2019 : https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/air- ... h-airways/

And another news :

Philippe Wilmart appointed Chief Commercial Officer of Air Belgium
Mr Wilmart becomes responsible for all commercial, marketing and customer services related activities of the Company.

Mr Wilmart studied Law in Belgium and graduated in International Management from the Krauthammer school in Paris, France. In his professional career, he gained early airline experience with SABENA as Area Director, and later with Marseille Provence Airport as Marketing and Communication Director. Next, he took on the role of CCO of an airline in Switzerland before becoming Head of Global Transport at voyageprive.com. Most recently, he completed an assignment of several years as Director of International Development with Misterfly, based in Spain.

Niky Terzakis, CEO of Air Belgium: “Philippe is well-suited for the role to take us forward with a refined business, sales and marketing strategy. He will have a specific focus on e-commerce, B2B and B2C. I am very pleased to have Philippe join our great senior management team. Philippe is known for being results-driven and for his pragmatism.”
https://www.airbelgium.com/en/press/phi ... ir-belgium

I had echoes on SunExpress contract but it seems to be cancelled.
Hi. I'm T., spotter and aviation geek. Join me on Facebook & Twitter @TLspotting

Post Reply