Social actions at air navigation service provider skeyes (Belgium) - possible air traffic disruptions

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

SR20

Re: Social actions at air traffic control service skeyes (Belgium) - possible air traffic disruptions

Post by SR20 »

A1689/19
Text:BRUSSELS ACC CLSD DUE TO INDUSTRIAL ACTIONS. EMERG FREQ ARE WATCHED

A1690/19
Text:BRUSSELS FIC CLSD DUE TO INDUSTRIAL ACTIONS. IN CASE OF URGENCY FIS AVBL FM BRUSSELS ACC

TLspotting

Re: Social actions at air traffic control service skeyes (Belgium) - possible air traffic disruptions

Post by TLspotting »

Already 40 flights cancelled says VRT.
Hi. I'm Thibault Lapers. @ThibaultLapers & @TLspotting

atcofl

Post by atcofl »

A meeting for CANAC atco's had been planned for 10h today. The initial email called of the COO for everyone to be there so they could explain the 'agreement'. However, 10h is a busy time to work, so a lot of people wouldn't be able to attend anyway. And even for those in break, attending isn't obvious, since you're supposed to become back refreshed from a break, not super annoyed with management.
So, unions called for everyone to attend (also from other units and other services such as technicians, meteo, administrative staff) and put down a strike notice to allow people to attend.
Yesterday, management changed their mind and decided to talk to people in small groups. We are against that, since we want to be united and all have the right to the same explanation, listening to other people's questions. So we all were going to attend at 10h.
Then, management clearly got scared and they cancelled the meeting. I don't know if they were hoping people would then just keep working, but all they're doing is making people more angry.

Great management we have, they clearly thought this trough very well...

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Google translate skeyes press release

The explanatory moments about the social agreement for key employees are no reason to interrupt the service.

Thursday, May 16, 2019

The management of skeyes had invited the air traffic controllers today to explain the social agreement that was concluded last Friday 10 May. For this, they were able to stop by from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. and during breaks so that everyone had the opportunity to get the necessary explanation at the most suitable time without having to interrupt the service.

When the management established that actions were being taken to affect air traffic because of these explanatory moments, they were forced to cancel the meetings.

Some further actions are considered as wildcats.

The management calls on everyone to keep calm and maintains the intention to provide air traffic controllers and all other staff members with an explanation of the social agreement.

mvg

Post by mvg »

And great from the unions and the controllers: they all want/need to attend a meeting at the same time 🙄
They forgot they work in shifts and that someone has to be there 24/24. Are you serious? This is ridiculous!
Tell us that all those who were at home would have come as well 😂 No way!

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Phoenixx wrote: 13 May 2019, 14:17
Airlines and passengers will get the service they pay for when there is the correct and responsible amount of staff for the maximum traffic they would like to have flying around. It's that simple.
This is what I talked about last time When I said atco’s have lost touch with reality. Imagine you order a BBQ dish at the butchers for 20 people. You pay for it and he brings it and says: Yeah sorry, only for 14, my employees thought that they had to work to much so you’re Only getting 70% of what you paid for. How in the world does that make sense?

We dont just pay you when we buy a ticket, I pay you every month when taxes go off my wage.
Yet for months now, you have been ruining peoples holiday, ruining peoples business trips, keeping the countries airspace hostage and on top of that endangering every person in the industry their job as foreign companies dont keep accepting this.

I do not understand that No politician is seriously intervening.

Matt

Post by Matt »

Look, I get why they strike today, I get why they are disgruntled. It get the why.

But the way HOW they strike now baffles me.

A spontanious action, right in the busyest period of the day, leaving thousands of passengers stranded at BRU airport, to me that is inexcusable. This way atco's just bully people who have nothing to do with the matter :!:

Holidays ruined, business trips on hold etc etc etc... People and airliners coulnd't even take precautions ( like they can with the NMBS who announce it weeks beforehand )

Sorry. The Atco's lost A LOT of respect now from me and from the public opinion.

They better watch out or they will have less jobs if people start avoiding BRU more and more and go to DUS, AMS or CDG!

#VeryDisgruntled

Yuqu12

Post by Yuqu12 »

sean1982 wrote: 16 May 2019, 09:06
The social mediator was appointed by minister Peeters. What else can they do more when a conflict between employer and employees isn't resolved?

Matt

Post by Matt »

Yuqu12 wrote: 16 May 2019, 09:14
sean1982 wrote: 16 May 2019, 09:06
The social mediator was appointed by minister Peeters. What else can they do more when a conflict between employer and employees isn't resolved?

Peeters is the equivalent of a grad student in history who doesn't understand science. He doesn't know what the hell is going on there.

He pretends like he does tough. #Tsjeef

( by which I dont want to offend history grad students, other expertise, I for one, know jack shit about history and I am an engineer. just making a point )

Yuqu12

Post by Yuqu12 »

Even if he doesn't know anyhting about what's going on there, that's still no excuse to blame the politicians for doing nothing. As a minister of Labour, his only legal options to try and resolve heavy conflicts between employees and employer is to appoint a social mediator.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

atcofl wrote: 16 May 2019, 08:37 And even for those in break, attending isn't obvious, since you're supposed to become back refreshed from a break, not super annoyed with management.
Same principle applies for your management: after that meeting with the unions, they have to work till late evening, super annoyed with egoistic people like you. And management can't take breaks as much as you can do.
atcofl wrote: 16 May 2019, 08:37 So, unions called for everyone to attend (also from other units and other services such as technicians, meteo, administrative staff) and put down a strike notice to allow people to attend.
Do you believe that yourself? A public meeting, attended by all staff, where management explains in detail how much new bonuses and advantages they have given one particular group, to end a strike by those who have already the highiest salary within the company? If the 10h meeting would have taken place as a public meeting for all, everybody at Skeyes would have gone on strike and demand a 30h week.

Like Sean1982 explained: you are a civil servant. So behave yourself please. Show respect towards those who pay your extremely high salary.

Matt

Post by Matt »

Passenger wrote: 16 May 2019, 09:29
Like Sean1982 explained: you are a civil servant. So behave yourself please. Show respect towards those who pay your extremely high salary.
I for one think those high salaries are justified tough... But that's another subject I think

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

atcofl wrote: 16 May 2019, 08:37 A meeting for CANAC atco's had been planned for 10h today. The initial email called of the COO for everyone to be there so they could explain the 'agreement'. However, 10h is a busy time to work, so a lot of people wouldn't be able to attend anyway. And even for those in break, attending isn't obvious, since you're supposed to become back refreshed from a break, not super annoyed with management.
So, unions called for everyone to attend (also from other units and other services such as technicians, meteo, administrative staff) and put down a strike notice to allow people to attend.
Yesterday, management changed their mind and decided to talk to people in small groups. We are against that, since we want to be united and all have the right to the same explanation, listening to other people's questions. So we all were going to attend at 10h.
Then, management clearly got scared and they cancelled the meeting. I don't know if they were hoping people would then just keep working, but all they're doing is making people more angry.

Great management we have, they clearly thought this trough very well...
I fail to understand… If - according to you - everybody should have the opportunity to listen to the management together, united, who is going to perform atc? This is just nitpicking from your side...

Maybe management should have held two seperate meetings for everyone to attend, but still… :roll:

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Ludo Geerts on our Facebook page: Trade Union spokesman on the radion has just announced the possibility of prolonged Industrial action today 😠😠

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Well, they can take action as long as they want, soon it is not needed anymore to have many of them. And very high time to let do the traffic control by other countries
Airline companies have enough of flying to Belgium bcs of the many strikes. This costs them tons of money on top of the very high cost for fuel, etc. It is too costly for them and a decision can be that they will not fly anymore.

I can tell you that for sure the talks with new possible airlines are stuck or even disrupted bcs of the strikes since the beginning of this year.

Well done, so sympathy for this. Look for a normal job and don't bother people who really want to work or who has to take a plane for whatever reason

Matt

Post by Matt »

Atlantis wrote: 16 May 2019, 10:04
I can tell you that for sure the talks with new possible airlines are stuck or even disrupted bcs of the strikes since the beginning of this year.
Which airlines are those?

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Matt wrote: 16 May 2019, 10:05
Atlantis wrote: 16 May 2019, 10:04
Which airlines are those?
Singapore comes to mind... Asiana a second one. Some time ago there were rumours of LATAM...

BRU missing out on a lot because of these actions.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Just a question, is it possible to nationalise ATC, give military ATCO's a proper training and have them do ATC?

Matt

Post by Matt »

Conti764 wrote: 16 May 2019, 10:16 Just a question, is it possible to nationalise ATC, give military ATCO's a proper training and have them do ATC?
Good question... This is done in Brasil ( this example comes to mind ) and other countries as well. So possible in Belgium?