Brussels Airlines in 2019

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sn26567

Re: Brussels Airlines' fleet renewal

Post by sn26567 »

It might be true that Brussels Airlines is not well known in some European countries. Maybe the airline should have kept the name Sabena for that matter. But is the name Eurowings better known outside of Germany, and now Austria? And where it is known, it has a bad reputation after the numerous delays and cancellations of last year.

Thus, in my opinion, a name change would be a fatal mistake.
André
ex Sabena #26567

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

ezis_bis wrote: 10 May 2019, 15:54
CTBke wrote: 10 May 2019, 15:44 for the passenger it doesn't change a lot
I agree and I disagree
The painting or name outside of the plane, though boring, doesn't make or break it.
It'll do the job just as well

There's some brand awareness and marketing blabla, but in the end it's not that important

Though, where I disagree is that in this case, there's a big difference for me between SN and EW as serivce and benefits.
As one might imagine, I fly often between TLL and BRU
I also fly often between Italy and BRU

Being SAS Gold makes my travels more relaxing, easier, whether it is on the routes I do often, or long haul where I can pop in a lounge and take a shower.

When SN gets killed and replaced by EW, not just the paint, it *does* have an impact.
For the same price I get a crappier service
BRU-TLL is operated by LO/Nordica and not by SN so that doesn't change a lot for you on that route,

If you're miles and more you still get miles etc on EW/SN flights for SK Gold no idea to be honest as Eurobonus has it's own benefits but it's logical they give more benefits to Miles&More and SN/EW's frequent flyer programs as they already do with a dedicated check in desk for HON/SEN/FQTV travelers on EW
Citybird
The flying dream

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

sn26567 wrote: 10 May 2019, 16:06 It might be true that Brussels Airlines is not well known in some European countries. Maybe the airline should have kept the name Sabena for that matter. But is the name Eurowings better known outside of Germany, and now Austria? And where it is known, it has a bad reputation after the numerous delays and cancellations of last year.

Indeed Eurowings has a bad reputation in Europe for being late or cancelled .. but since Spohr wants to have the biggest low fare airline in Europe there's nothing to do about it .. since he bought SN, he can do whatever he likes with it .. and it's unlikely they'll keep the Belgian name on short haul ..
Citybird
The flying dream

ezis_bis

Post by ezis_bis »

CTBke wrote: 10 May 2019, 16:07 BRU-TLL is operated by LO/Nordica and not by SN so that doesn't change a lot for you on that route,

If you're miles and more you still get miles etc on EW/SN flights for SK Gold no idea to be honest as Eurobonus has it's own benefits but it's logical they give more benefits to Miles&More and SN/EW's frequent flyer programs as they already do with a dedicated check in desk for HON/SEN/FQTV travelers on EW
Don't get my started on the handling of Nordica by LOT :lol:
They operate flights on behalve of LOT from WAW, hardly anything from TLL anymore, hardly any Estonian products anymore.. AND BRU-TLL is much more expensive than flying with SAS (Scandinavian is cheaper, go figure), which offer a nicer experience (and good flight times)

Plus, I am SK Gold indeed, and after 10 years that becomes permanent
It's indeed a much better program than Miles&More

But no, EW is not Star Alliance, so I can't book it for work, and won't pay for it privately.
SK Gold means nothing there

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

ezis_bis wrote: 10 May 2019, 16:13
CTBke wrote: 10 May 2019, 16:07 BRU-TLL is operated by LO/Nordica and not by SN so that doesn't change a lot for you on that route,

Don't get my started on the handling of Nordica by LOT :lol:
They operate flights on behalve of LOT from WAW, hardly anything from TLL anymore, hardly any Estonian products anymore.. AND BRU-TLL is much more expensive than flying with SAS (Scandinavian is cheaper, go figure), which offer a nicer experience (and good flight times)

Plus, I am SK Gold indeed, and after 10 years that becomes permanent
It's indeed a much better program than Miles&More

But no, EW is not Star Alliance, so I can't book it for work, and won't pay for it privately.
SK Gold means nothing there

Exactly .. :-) but anyhow they'll figure something out as we have a lot of Star Alliance frequent flyers (other than M&M) on board ... and if they can't earn points anymore EW will loose pax out of BRU ..
Citybird
The flying dream

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

airbuske wrote: 10 May 2019, 13:58
Matt wrote: 09 May 2019, 11:27 according to this thing it will get an SN livery :)

https://sites.google.com/site/lhgroupfleet/brussels
No it will be the first OO registration with EW livery!
Just arrived under Laudamotion brand, will be the first time to see them now... A future flight to EMA to change everything ?
60030735_2145845615529369_5749966842810597376_o.jpg
Copyright Steven Valerie
Hi. I'm Thibault Lapers. @ThibaultLapers & @TLspotting

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

Thank you SN to become EW. You make my life easier. I will no longer have to search on which frequentflyer card to put my miles! 100% flights on KLM or AF since today ! Perfect thank you ! Good luck ...

brusselsairlinesfan

Post by brusselsairlinesfan »

nordikcam wrote: 10 May 2019, 18:58 Thank you SN to become EW. You make my life easier. I will no longer have to search on which frequentflyer card to put my miles! 100% flights on KLM or AF since today ! Perfect thank you ! Good luck ...
Well said... same for me!

So here we are... masks are falling... farewell SN!

I am myself a fan of belgian aviation since my young age and die hard SN fan... but also a frequent flyer.
This shows a total lack of respect towards history... also forget about the belgian identy... they could at least go for Belgianwings as kind of compromise... but not. Don’t think for sure about a Sabena revival...
SN is officialy dead... sad, true, disgusting...
Bad news also for BRU as they kind forget all hub developpement...
A big strategic mistake to me... not just an emotional matter !
If confirmed, I wont fly to/from/through BRU on vapid crappy EW or Star airlines.
Belgium has lost its home carrier... and this sounds very bad for this country that I love !
I will myself focus on Skyteam or Oneworld airlines...
Thank you SN and crews for all these superb flights on your beautiful wings and for all the extra smiles... you were so unique and a pround ambassador of Belgium. You deserved a lot more! Good luck and respect to all... Adieu!

Poiu

Post by Poiu »

brusselsairlinesfan wrote: 10 May 2019, 19:57 Belgium has lost its home carrier... and this sounds very bad for this country that I love !
Thank you SN and crews for all these superb flights on your beautiful wings and for all the extra smiles... you were so unique and a pround ambassador of Belgium. You deserved a lot more! Good luck and respect to all... Adieu!
Are Skyteam and Oneworld more Belgian than the Belgian branch of Eurowings?
Same aircraft, same crew and in economy same service (Bizz is almost empty on European flights anyhow) where is the problem?
Our friend Nordic can afford to be picky because he is travelling BizzClass and probably not even paying for it himself. Joe public will just fly the cheapest option, just as he is doing now whatever the name on the aircraft. Figures at SN are not great for the moment and I am sure they will be used for another round of EW bashing soon, however the only possible future for SN is EW whether you like it or not!

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

Poiu wrote: 10 May 2019, 20:44
brusselsairlinesfan wrote: 10 May 2019, 19:57 Belgium has lost its home carrier... and this sounds very bad for this country that I love !
Same aircraft, same crew and in economy same service (Bizz is almost empty on European flights anyhow) where is the problem?
Our friend Nordic can afford to be picky because he is travelling BizzClass and probably not even paying for it himself. Joe public will just fly the cheapest option, just as he is doing now whatever the name on the aircraft. Figures at SN are not great for the moment and I am sure they will be used for another round of EW bashing soon, however the only possible future for SN is EW whether you like it or not!
Exactly! A little nuance, my job pays...that's true but I also pay some travel. In fact with EW we enter a category that I call "subcategory" with zero service when there is a problem ... Nobody! With KL or AF I am sure to find someone, have an answer, and an immediate refund. It never hangs! And so, whether I agree or not with the change of SN in EW will not change anything ... That's right! I have the choice ... not to steal Eurowings! It's personal !

Bel33

Post by Bel33 »

In terms of brand image and national identity, I am also shocked by this evolution but the responsibility is above all Belgian! The average Belgian is looking for the lowest price, and has seen Ryanair and other low-cost airlines take huge European market shares. SN must therefore be a low cost and at LH, the low cost is EW! We reap what we sow! I will not go back over the cowardice of the Belgian political world in 2001.... Simply put, let us support what generates jobs and expertise in our country. Let us travel with the company that still best represents our country.
Over the last two years, the only new European destinations have been leisure destinations, so a low-cost clientele at 90´%! It is also a strategic mistake to defend a premium concept!

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Amazing stuff going on here: "SN has become EW". We call it "massahysterie".

Just one proof of the contrary: the Bruegel aircraft (OO-SNE). That A320 can't go to the paint shop in Malta or Hamburg next week to get Eurowings colours. It's part of a five year commercial contract, signed between Christina Foerster on behalf of Brussels Airlines nv/sa and Peter De Wilde on behalf of IVA Toerisme Vlaanderen / Visit Flanders (IVA = Intern Verzelfstandigd Agentschap).

Same principle applies for the other five Icons aircraft: they are all medium term investments from Brussels Airlines, and there is no way that they will get Eurowings livery.

Airbus330lover

Post by Airbus330lover »

sn26567 wrote: 10 May 2019, 16:06 It might be true that Brussels Airlines is not well known in some European countries. Maybe the airline should have kept the name Sabena for that matter. But is the name Eurowings better known outside of Germany, and now Austria? And where it is known, it has a bad reputation after the numerous delays and cancellations of last year.

And.... a lot of people are confusing Eurowings and Germanwings.... Bad choice

brusselsairlinesfan

Post by brusselsairlinesfan »

Poiu wrote: 10 May 2019, 20:44
Btw, I was born in Paris and I am French... with belgian origins... I just LOVE Belgium and all its représentants, culture, cities and landscape, symboles, surréalism etc... As an aviation fan, I am very sad to see all this rich history fooled...
Old lady SABENA is dead, daughter brussels airlines also... no flag carrier anymore, that’s It!

ezis_bis

Post by ezis_bis »

nordikcam wrote: 10 May 2019, 21:00 Exactly! A little nuance, my job pays...that's true but I also pay some travel. In fact with EW we enter a category that I call "subcategory" with zero service when there is a problem
I thought for a second I was the Nordic 'rich bitch' here.
But nonetheless.
Yes, that's how this works.
EW, I am not going to pay for it. I'm not going to ask my job to book these tickets. And look at Nordicam's flights, this is a Nice business there. Up to LH if they want it (SN) or not (EW)

Poiu

Post by Poiu »

Passenger wrote: 10 May 2019, 21:15 Amazing stuff going on here: "SN has become EW". We call it "massahysterie".

Just one proof of the contrary: the Bruegel aircraft (OO-SNE). That A320 can't go to the paint shop in Malta or Hamburg next week to get Eurowings colours. It's part of a five year commercial contract, signed between Christina Foerster on behalf of Brussels Airlines nv/sa and Peter De Wilde on behalf of IVA Toerisme Vlaanderen / Visit Flanders (IVA = Intern Verzelfstandigd Agentschap).

Same principle applies for the other five Icons aircraft: they are all medium term investments from Brussels Airlines, and there is no way that they will get Eurowings livery.
SN is becoming EW, slowly but certainly, your best friend young Sean predicted it here a long time ago.
The aircraft will only change livery when the next paint job is due and that may well be in 5 years or more.

ezis_bis

Post by ezis_bis »

Passenger wrote: 10 May 2019, 21:15 Amazing stuff going on here: "SN has become EW". We call it "massahysterie".

I don't quite agree with this
If you're indeed committed to this airline, why would you invest to paint the next plane in another airline's colours? Also for 5 years
If you need to repaint it, repaint it in the right colours.
Plus, the A330 already flying in EW colours.

They're not doing this for fun, there's an idea behind it; SN will stop.
Or, possibly, after summer this plane will fly for EW? But now I fear I'm being naive.

And those beautiful but rare specially painted planes will be oddballs, they will stand out in SN's fleet, or stand out in EW's fleet.

I would argue it are the regular planes which show us where this is going.
If SN only gets special liveries, and EW liveries, the EW will be the standard one.
And, as I see it, SN will beturned into EW in service, alliance and name. Sadly
Also for the connections offered at BRU

Traveler

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2019

Post by Traveler »

I really don't understand their policy.

They want one brand name to develop an European low-cost company and for this they want to integrate Brussels Airlines and change its name to Eurowings.

But what they are doing now is changing Brussels Airlines in basicly two companies. Brussels Airlines (the special livery proves they won't get rid of the name in the next 5 years) and Eurowings (proven by the Eurowings livery and the longhaul EW planes).This means they are also changing Eurowings as flying some Eurowings planes allow you to save Miles and others don't. This is very confusing to me, just choose what you want and implement it. They integrated more than 70 Air Berlin planes in a year, so I don't believe that they could not do this with Brussels Airlines. It seems they don't know what to do, and try to do it slowly and see what the success is. Very inefficient in my opinion.

P.S. I do not support the name change into Eurowings.

CTBke

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2019

Post by CTBke »

Traveler wrote: 11 May 2019, 11:47 I really don't understand their policy.

They want one brand name to develop an European low-cost company and for this they want to integrate Brussels Airlines and change its name to Eurowings.

But what they are doing now is changing Brussels Airlines in basicly two companies. Brussels Airlines (the special livery proves they won't get rid of the name in the next 5 years) and Eurowings (proven by the Eurowings livery and the longhaul EW planes).This means they are also changing Eurowings as flying some Eurowings planes allow you to save Miles and others don't. This is very confusing to me, just choose what you want and implement it. They integrated more than 70 Air Berlin planes in a year, so I don't believe that they could not do this with Brussels Airlines. It seems they don't know what to do, and try to do it slowly and see what the success is. Very inefficient in my opinion.

P.S. I do not support the name change into Eurowings.
It all depends what contract they have with all 6 companies, and that's something which is internal between Brussels Airlines and the various companies. they could easily replace the Brussels airlines by Eurowings as it's a very hybrid livery ... If you look at Eurowings' special liveries it shows all logos in white or whatever color and that's it :-)
Last edited by CTBke on 11 May 2019, 12:09, edited 1 time in total.
Citybird
The flying dream

Darjeeling

Post by Darjeeling »

I wonder why you are all so surprised... SN has always and will always be "Chipoteurs Airlines" or SN Brol Airlines as it used to be called before the VEX merger.

No clear business model, no growth, no expansion, no ambitions... But indeed so "Belgian" (or Flemish to be more precise..., "Belgitude" is a screen they like to hide behind for marketing purposes - I guarantee you you can be hired at SN without any french knowledge or skill).

Look at the fleet they have, it's all second/third hand frames, not a single one is coming straight from the factory: do you know any European flagship carrier in that situation ? No more Star Alliance planes for years (it was already a sign), all "new" destinations are Neckerman/TC driven and mostly charters destinations highlighted by P.R stunts.

They're now reduced to issue a press release when a Dakar or Banjul flight is becoming "non-stop"...
I don't talk about Africa where they have been overtaken by numerous carriers over the last ten years (I remember SN "managers" telling us that TK would never succeed in Africa as they had no operational experience there, no background and no understanding of the African needs...).

The icons A320s are just bones thrown by Lufthansa via Eurowings.