Brussels Airlines in 2019

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Jetter

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2019

Post by Jetter »

Shonix wrote: 02 May 2019, 12:30 Still don't understand why SN keeps spending money on painting their aircrafts knowing the fact that the brand will disappear.

Such a pity to see that Belgium will have no more "Belgian-branded" airline...
That won’t happen for a while as we already have Air Belgium. It is a downward spiral however with Sabena->Brussels Airlines->Air Belgium.

convair

Post by convair »

OO-SFD ( "newest" SN aircraft) is now on the Douala route for the third day in a row, with the new cabin interior.
I don't remember seeing a presentation of it, or did I miss something?

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

convair wrote: 02 May 2019, 14:43 I don't remember seeing a presentation of it, or did I miss something?
https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/luft ... n-the-air/

and a trip report of the new premium economy: https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/luft ... m-economy/

convair

Post by convair »

luchtzak wrote: 02 May 2019, 15:00
convair wrote: 02 May 2019, 14:43 I don't remember seeing a presentation of it, or did I miss something?
https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/luft ... n-the-air/

and a trip report of the new premium economy: https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/luft ... m-economy/
Thanks luchtzak. I'd indeed missed it.

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

Jetter wrote: 02 May 2019, 12:45
Shonix wrote: 02 May 2019, 12:30 Still don't understand why SN keeps spending money on painting their aircrafts knowing the fact that the brand will disappear.

Such a pity to see that Belgium will have no more "Belgian-branded" airline...
That won’t happen for a while as we already have Air Belgium. It is a downward spiral however with Sabena->Brussels Airlines->Air Belgium.
With all due respect, but Air Belgium is currently a failed project. They are lucky to be able to fly for other airlines at the moment, because without this lifeline it would probably be already over.

Nonetheless I really hope they succeed. Maybe they can become the new flag carrier of Belgium (and fly from BRU!), as LH is determined to kill Brussels Airlines.

Jetter

Post by Jetter »

Boavida wrote: 03 May 2019, 15:21With all due respect, but Air Belgium is currently a failed project. They are lucky to be able to fly for other airlines at the moment, because without this lifeline it would probably be already over.
While I agree, by that definition Sabena was always a failed project because they were lucky to have been supported by the taxpayer and thus Belgium would have never had a national airline.

Poiu

Post by Poiu »

Boavida wrote: 03 May 2019, 15:21LH is determined to kill Brussels Airlines.
Not again PLEASE!
LH saved Brussels Airlines from bankruptcy at a time when nobody wanted to invest in SN.
The name may , probably will, disappear but employment will remain.
What’s in a name anyhow?
Last edited by Poiu on 03 May 2019, 22:49, edited 1 time in total.

Klausenburg

Post by Klausenburg »

I'll just give my 2cents regarding the off-topic issue of why Jacques Brel should or shouldn't be on another plane of SN. He was one of the few (if not the only) Francophone singer that made the effort to sing in Flemish. I so not understand why would he be so controversial on the north of the taalgrens. BTW, the Flemish version of Laat Me Niet Alleen (Ne Me Quitte Pas) was better then the French one. Enjoy:

Or who else dared to sing (partially) in Flemish for the public in France?

-------------------

Regarding the name change, it really not making any sense considering the way the two business (SN and EW) are evolving.

Full year capacity growth at the Network Airlines [i.e. Lufthansa, Austrian Airlines, and Brussels Airlines] will be around 4%. At Eurowings, we even decided to cut our growth plans to zero, also considering ongoing capacity constraints in the European aviation systems," Svensson said.

Read more: https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... m=facebook
However, it is typically German - for good and bad - to follow a plan without changes until it totally wins or fails. So I wouldn't have high hopes.

----------------------

Air Belgium could become a new flag carrier by a heavy investment from the Gulf (or maybe China - but a serious one). I would see a scenario a la Air Italy...

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

Poiu wrote: 03 May 2019, 22:27
Boavida wrote: 03 May 2019, 15:21LH is determined to kill Brussels Airlines.
Not again PLEASE!
LH saved Brussels Airlines from bankruptcy at a time when nobody wanted to invest in SN.
The name may , probably will, disappear but employment will remain.
What’s in a name anyhow?

Just realise this: what will be the end result of this "saving" by LH? Brussels Airlines will no longer exist and will be replaced by their own low-cost carrier Eurowings.

If SN would have gone bankrupt, there would have also been another (new?) company to fill the gap.

So in the end, the result is the same. LH did not save SN.

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

They did save more of it than anyone else, though. But I agree their first aim must rather have been to do a bargain purchase that they could somehow fit into their long-term planning/strategy.

convair

Post by convair »

Klausenburg wrote: 03 May 2019, 22:45 Regarding the name change, it really not making any sense considering the way the two business (SN and EW) are evolving.
Full year capacity growth at the Network Airlines [i.e. Lufthansa, Austrian Airlines, and Brussels Airlines] will be around 4%. At Eurowings, we even decided to cut our growth plans to zero, also considering ongoing capacity constraints in the European aviation systems," Svensson said.

Read more: https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... m=facebook
Let's not make too much of this: maybe the "Network Airlines" mentioned between brackets was merely an explanatory addition by CH-aviation (note that Swiss is not mentioned though!) and has no real meaning. If Brussels Airlines was actually mentioned by Svensson, then it could have some significance and, hence, could be interpreted as a slight blow to Carsten Spohr.

airbuske

Brussels Airlines' fleet renewal

Post by airbuske »

Matt wrote: 09 May 2019, 11:27 according to this thing it will get an SN livery :)

https://sites.google.com/site/lhgroupfleet/brussels
No it will be the first OO registration with EW livery!
Best regards,

Airbuske

ezis_bis

Re: Brussels Airlines' fleet renewal

Post by ezis_bis »

airbuske wrote: 10 May 2019, 13:58 No it will be the first OO registration with EW livery!
Will it then fly for SN? With EW livery?

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

ezis_bis wrote: 10 May 2019, 14:19
airbuske wrote: 10 May 2019, 13:58 No it will be the first OO registration with EW livery!
Of course ... think the future for Brussels will be clear .. European flights will go under the EW brand now...
Citybird
The flying dream

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

CTBke wrote: 10 May 2019, 15:17
ezis_bis wrote: 10 May 2019, 14:19
Of course ... think the future for Brussels will be clear .. European flights will go under the EW brand now...
Brussels Airlines cockpit and cabin crew, more information: https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/luft ... gs-livery/

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

On the way to Brussels.
Screenshot_20190510_145043_com.flightradar24free.jpg
Hi. I'm Thibault Lapers. @ThibaultLapers & @TLspotting

ezis_bis

Post by ezis_bis »

CTBke wrote: 10 May 2019, 15:17 Of course ... think the future for Brussels will be clear .. European flights will go under the EW brand now...
But then what's the point of having special liveries like Brueghel, and then have some boring EW livery at the same time?
At least the Star Alliance livery makes sense.

It really starts to look messy, longhaul flights also are partially in EW
What about those?

Plus the all-white Canadairs.

Fine, the livery in itself won't change a lot, but I'm pretty sure at some point SN will be told they're not well known.
Obviously, when this gets sabotages.

I don't know why I'm getting so very upset about this

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

ezis_bis wrote: 10 May 2019, 15:26
CTBke wrote: 10 May 2019, 15:17 Of course ... think the future for Brussels will be clear .. European flights will go under the EW brand now...
But then what's the point of having special liveries like Brueghel, and then have some boring EW livery at the same time?
At least the Star Alliance livery makes sense.

It really starts to look messy, longhaul flights also are partially in EW
What about those?

Plus the all-white Canadairs.

Fine, the livery in itself won't change a lot, but I'm pretty sure at some point SN will be told they're not well known.
Obviously, when this gets sabotages.

I don't know why I'm getting so very upset about this

the reason for the white canadair's is simple after Cityjet's problems with the sukhois SN chose not to put branding on those birds. And truth is , SN isn't that known in Europe ... in Spain and Italy they still call it Sabena, in France and Switzerland simply SN as it's too difficult for them to remember the full name .. it's starting to get shaped and it'll take a while before it's all under one AOC but for the passenger it doesn't change a lot ... the outside says EW it's just the paperwork which is SunExpress, SN, LGW or EW Europe/Germany and GW that's all :-)
Citybird
The flying dream

ezis_bis

Post by ezis_bis »

CTBke wrote: 10 May 2019, 15:44 for the passenger it doesn't change a lot
I agree and I disagree
The painting or name outside of the plane, though boring, doesn't make or break it.
It'll do the job just as well

There's some brand awareness and marketing blabla, but in the end it's not that important

Though, where I disagree is that in this case, there's a big difference for me between SN and EW as serivce and benefits.
As one might imagine, I fly often between TLL and BRU
I also fly often between Italy and BRU

Being SAS Gold makes my travels more relaxing, easier, whether it is on the routes I do often, or long haul where I can pop in a lounge and take a shower.

When SN gets killed and replaced by EW, not just the paint, it *does* have an impact.
For the same price I get a crappier service

ezis_bis

Post by ezis_bis »

Which suddenly brings me to a question affecting me;
Later this year I need to get to CPH and back. If I book SN, and in the mean time it all turns EW, will the Star Alliance Frequent flyer benefits still be applied?