Social actions at air navigation service provider skeyes (Belgium) - possible air traffic disruptions

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Boeing767copilot

Re: Social actions at air traffic control service skeyes (Belgium) - possible air traffic disruptions

Post by Boeing767copilot »

SR20 wrote: 13 Apr 2019, 08:26
sn26567 wrote: 12 Apr 2019, 21:09 I see that the whole Belgian press is reporting about the closure of Belgian airspace at night, almost a daily feature in newspapers. It might be simpler to announce when airspace remains open the whole night!
Some explanation from ACV/CSC representative :
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 0584575853

"To be clear: since the start of the mediation at Skeyes there have been no actions or strikes. It is true that the occupation is very tight and when sick people fall or if they cannot find a replacement for those who have been sick for more than 1 day, safety measures must be taken for air traffic reasons. If nobody or only 1 person is available for a certain sector, the airspace has to be closed. This therefore does NOT only concern actions or strikes, but incorrect reporting from the media or persons who want to put the Skeyes personnel in a bad light. What is, however, is that due to the staff shortage at CANAC and the conflict situation, few are willing to fill in the gaps voluntarily. Normally 104 FTEs are needed on CANAC and with the sick there we are now at around 73 FTE. It is therefore unrealistic to let everything run. You should not be a math wonder."
Who is putting the Skeyes personnel in a bad light?

The ATCO’s themselves after so many day’s of strike.

mvg

Re: Social actions at air traffic control service skeyes (Belgium) - possible air traffic disruptions

Post by mvg »

SR20 wrote: 13 Apr 2019, 08:26
sn26567 wrote: 12 Apr 2019, 21:09 I see that the whole Belgian press is reporting about the closure of Belgian airspace at night, almost a daily feature in newspapers. It might be simpler to announce when airspace remains open the whole night!
Some explanation from ACV/CSC representative :
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 0584575853

"To be clear: since the start of the mediation at Skeyes there have been no actions or strikes. It is true that the occupation is very tight and when sick people fall or if they cannot find a replacement for those who have been sick for more than 1 day, safety measures must be taken for air traffic reasons. If nobody or only 1 person is available for a certain sector, the airspace has to be closed. This therefore does NOT only concern actions or strikes, but incorrect reporting from the media or persons who want to put the Skeyes personnel in a bad light. What is, however, is that due to the staff shortage at CANAC and the conflict situation, few are willing to fill in the gaps voluntarily. Normally 104 FTEs are needed on CANAC and with the sick there we are now at around 73 FTE. It is therefore unrealistic to let everything run. You should not be a math wonder."
Dear SR20,

Like for your previous post about Atcos working "alone" at night (see my explanation), I think that one (or some of them) is/are misleading you and telling you things which they would like people to believe... And that is not reality.
When have you been for the last time in the Ops Room in Canac at night?

They could easily stay open the whole night even with some people calling sick. But they just don't want. It's their choice.
They refuse any solution that is brought to them, they want to keep on using the system as described many times in previous posts. It's their choice.
They organize the sick calls to protest and they know about the consequences (airspace closures): it's their choice.
Why don't they leave and find another job if it's so bad to earn more than 6000€ per month and work 3,5 hours per shift?
Why don't they let people who want to work work?

I totally agree with B767copilot and wish that they come back to work like every one else would do, especially with working conditions uncomparable with anyone else in this country.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

The walloon minister in charge wants to negociate a minimul service for the next contract, starting 1 july 2019
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Belgian airspace below FL245 closed between 02:00 and 05:00 (UTC +2)

LECS (Sevilla)
CES sector regulated due to ATC Staffing.
High delays.

EBBU (Brussels)
Due to staffing issues the Belgian airspace (until FL245) will be not available between 0000 UTC and 0300 UTC on 14/04/2013.
NOTAMs A1259/19 and A1261/19 refers.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Is there still a pilot onboard Skeyes?
André
ex Sabena #26567

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

sn26567 wrote: 13 Apr 2019, 23:45 Is there still a pilot onboard Skeyes?
And still no communication on the matter by our Belgian Minister of Mobility Bellot :roll:

Airbus330lover

Post by Airbus330lover »

Call Maggie... and do a doctor's control....
If they are really sick, no problem, othewise... and the controler and the doctor will have a big problem

mvg

Post by mvg »

Here is how a doctor's control takes place (true story - heard many times).

The person got a sick note from his/her home doctor for 5 days.
Control doctor comes to home and after some checks says: "You have to go back to work earlier than what your doctor said".
Straight answer from the controller: "No problem, please write me a paper that you take responsibility in case I have an incident because I don't feel ok to go back to work."
Answer from the doctor (in panic): "Ok ok, in that case, stay at home as your doctor said"

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Acid-drop wrote: 13 Apr 2019, 10:17 The walloon minister in charge wants to negociate a minimul service for the next contract, starting 1 july 2019
In November 2017, the Belgian parliament introduced/accepted the "minimal service level" for the public railways. Voted against that minimal service level: SPA, PVDA/PTB, Ecolo/Groen and the political party from mr Partoune and mr Happart.

And now that PS demands that minister Crucke implements that same minimal service level for Skeyes? Agree - but then for all services please, and not just for that one service that is vital for Sowaer.

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

No active NOTAM for the following night.
Hi. I'm Thibault Lapers. @ThibaultLapers & @TLspotting

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Acid-drop wrote: 13 Apr 2019, 10:17 The walloon minister in charge wants to negociate a minimul service for the next contract, starting 1 july 2019
https://www.aviation24.be/air-traffic-c ... th-skeyes/
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Passenger wrote: 14 Apr 2019, 12:49 And now that PS demands that minister Crucke implements that same minimal service level for Skeyes? Agree - but then for all services please, and not just for that one service that is vital for Sowaer.
It's not the PS which asks for minimum service, it's Minister Crucke, who, until further notice, is still a liberal.

But let's avoid political discussions here. Our goal should be to protect the economy of this country. Liege Airport serves a large area beyond Wallonia: The Netherlands, Germany, France, Belgium, Luxembourg,... Every measure that can stop this unnecessary closure of Belgian airspace should be welcomed, whatever political affiliation our readers might have.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

sn26567 wrote: 14 Apr 2019, 13:56
Passenger wrote: 14 Apr 2019, 12:49 And now that PS demands that minister Crucke implements that same minimal service level for Skeyes? Agree - but then for all services please, and not just for that one service that is vital for Sowaer.
It's not the PS which asks for minimum service, it's Minister Crucke, who, until further notice, is still a liberal.

But let's avoid political discussions here. Our goal should be to protect the economy of this country. Liege Airport serves a large area beyond Wallonia: The Netherlands, Germany, France, Belgium, Luxembourg,... Every measure that can stop this unnecessary closure of Belgian airspace should be welcomed, whatever political affiliation our readers might have.
I don't want to start a political discussion, but let's put the things as they are: the above arguments were never valid for the PS-FGTB when only Brussels Airport and the Port of Antwerp were affected. This strike at Skeyes seems to be a turnaround for the trade unions: whilst they used to damage Brussels Airport and Port of Antwerp only, they now also damage LGG and CRL.

And yes, it is the Partoune and Happart (Sowaer, PS) who demand that Crucke (MR) goes for the minimal service. L'Echo wrote about this move: "...la Sowaer recommande à la Région wallonne la voie de la négociation avec le Fédéral en ajoutant de clauses contraignantes dans le prochain contrat de gestion..."

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

I don't want to start a political discussion, but let's put the things as they are: the above arguments were never valid for the PS-FGTB when only Brussels Airport and the Port of Antwerp were affected. This strike at Skeyes seems to be a turnaround for the trade unions: whilst they used to damage Brussels Airport and Port of Antwerp only, they now also damage LGG and CRL.
The observation might be right, but I'm not sure about your conclusion.
It's just that LGG and CRL were too small to attract attention back then, they hadn't the economic importance they have today. Now everybody is protecting their own eggs, as it should be, let the ABVV do their part on their side.
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Passenger wrote: 14 Apr 2019, 16:09 And yes, it is the Partoune and Happart (Sowaer, PS) who demand that Crucke (MR) goes for the minimal service. L'Echo wrote about this move: "...la Sowaer recommande à la Région wallonne la voie de la négociation avec le Fédéral en ajoutant de clauses contraignantes dans le prochain contrat de gestion..."
I think you are confusing Sowaer and Liege Airport. Happart and Partoune are respectively Chairman and CEO of Liege Airport. Sowaer has respectively Vincent Urbain and Luc Vuylsteke as Chairman of the Board and CEO. The decision to negotiate a new contract with skeyes came from CEO Luc Vuylsteke, who is a liberal (MR).
André
ex Sabena #26567

SR20

Post by SR20 »

Staff shortage tomorrow at LGG !

EBBR A1266/19 NOTAMN
Q) EBBU/FALT/IV/NBO/A/000/999/5038N00527E
A) EBLG
B) 1904150600 1904152000
E) NO IFR/VFR TRG FLT ALLOWED

EBBR A1267/19 NOTAMN
Q) EBBU/STLC/IV/NBO/A/000/999/5038N00527E
A) EBLG
B) 1904150730 1904151755
D) 0730-0750 1000-1045 1500-1520 1710-1755
E) NO ATC PROVIDED DUE TO STAFF SHORTAGE. EMERGENCY FREQ ARE WATCHED.

convair

Post by convair »

SR20 wrote: 14 Apr 2019, 19:00 Staff shortage tomorrow at LGG !

EBBR A1266/19 NOTAMN
Q) EBBU/FALT/IV/NBO/A/000/999/5038N00527E
A) EBLG
B) 1904150600 1904152000
E) NO IFR/VFR TRG FLT ALLOWED

EBBR A1267/19 NOTAMN
Q) EBBU/STLC/IV/NBO/A/000/999/5038N00527E
A) EBLG
B) 1904150730 1904151755
D) 0730-0750 1000-1045 1500-1520 1710-1755
E) NO ATC PROVIDED DUE TO STAFF SHORTAGE. EMERGENCY FREQ ARE WATCHED.
Could someone please translate in layman's language?
Thanks in advance.

flightlover

Post by flightlover »

first part means no training flights (instrument or visual flight rule) allowed between 06h and 20h on April 15.

evyncke

Post by evyncke »

A) => airport, EBLG = Liège
B) are the date and time, 2019 April 15th, then time in UTC (add 2 hours for local time)
D) unsure but probably a subset of B)
E) explanation (see above) + no 'air traffic control' == no crossing, no landing, no take-off except on emergency

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

evyncke wrote: 14 Apr 2019, 22:39 D) unsure but probably a subset of B)
Interruptions of only 20 minutes? Surely coffee breaks! ;)
André
ex Sabena #26567