Turkish Airlines is set to move to new Istanbul Airport on 6 April 2019

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

luchtzak

Turkish Airlines is set to move to new Istanbul Airport on 6 April 2019

Post by luchtzak »

Flying Scout wrote: 11 Mar 2019, 16:38 Just heard that Turkish Airlines has cancelled all of its flights to Istanbul on April 6th due to the move to the new airport. First day of the Easter holidays, what a day to chose!!! :(
Where can I find that news? I looked on internet but only found complaints about passengers wanting to rebook their flights for 6 April. Couldn't Turkish organize differently?

luchtzak

Re: Turkish Airlines is set to move to new airport on 6 April 2019

Post by luchtzak »

Flying Scout wrote: 11 Mar 2019, 18:35 BTW I'm only stating that flights are cancelled and that the move is the excuse given by TK. I'm not stating the move :)
Perhaps you should change the title to your convenience ;-)

hakan

Post by hakan »

Here is what the Chairman of THY told to the media:

Moving the operation of THY will start 3AM on 5.April Friday and will finish 23.59 on 6.April Saturday. To have a smooth transfer all flights to and from new and old airports will cease between 02.00-14.00 on 6.April Saturday.

The last TK flight from Ataturk Airport will be the flight to Singapore. The first flight from the New Istanbul Airport will be to Ankara. The flights will be gradually increased to the full scale.

Five thousand lorry load of goods will be carried from Ataturk to new airport in 45 hours. 1800 people will be participated to this operation.

As of 03.00 6.April, Ataturk Airport code IST will be given to the New Istanbul Airport. The new airport current code ISL will be given to Ataturk Airport. Ataturk Airport will continue to operate as a VIP and cargo airport.

Source: https://www.airporthaber.com/thy-haberl ... secek.html

Question to Flying Scout: The Easter starts 19.April with Good Friday in Australia. You have mentioned 6.April as Easter starting. Are we following the same calendar? Or are you referring to school holidays?

BrightCedars

Post by BrightCedars »

I'm pretty sure this could have been organised differently and more gradually, not to mention they could have planned this a long time ago and not book people on that day.

I hope the new airport is better equipped to deal with snow that the old one otherwise it's going to be an even greater mess when comes the white powder.

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

But are you aware these are not the same in all countries, sometimes even varying between regions of one country?

jan_olieslagers

And you really expect the Turkish to avoid that one date because it is pivotal in our little country???

And btw this forum tries all it can to be as un-Belgian as possible, even heavily promoting the use of a non-Belgian language, and having recently changed its name accordingly...

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Flying Scout wrote: 12 Mar 2019, 18:06 Whatever. I was only trying to give some information. But reading all this, ... :? :cry:
Don't feel bad! We appreciate the news and the topic you created!

jan_olieslagers

what a day to chose!!! :(
Is that sharing information? To me it seems like an opinion, rather. That said: thanks for sharing the bit of information, first of all!

convair

Post by convair »

I don't know who is Flying Scout and it doesn't matter of course but it seems to me some members have been very harsh to him, maybe due to the nerve-racking approach of the Brexit vote. ;) :) :D
It would be a pity to see a good-willing member leave us in these circumstances. :(

hakan

Post by hakan »

BrightCedars wrote: 12 Mar 2019, 12:52 I'm pretty sure this could have been organised differently and more gradually, not to mention they could have planned this a long time ago and not book people on that day.

I hope the new airport is better equipped to deal with snow that the old one otherwise it's going to be an even greater mess when comes the white powder.
Dear BrightCedars, as you know THY has a wide network and are trying to promote themselves and Istanbul as transfer airline and hub that can take you around the world. I think they have realised that if they do this move within 24-48 hours they will be better off. They are talking about gradual increase of flights from new airport we will see how they will go about this.

The new airport is located on Black Sea coast of Istanbul. It is famous with strong waves and winds coming from North and the winters are harsher. I share your concerns and I sincerely hope the new operators are better equipped to deal with snow and winter conditions. Time will show.

I aim to fly to this new airport in July this year for holidays.

hakan

Post by hakan »

@ Convair

We all appreciate our members' news and comments. Just stick to the facts and make your comments clear. This is an international forum and we are from all parts of the world with different ethnic and religious and work backgrounds.

But our passion is aviation and we love sharing the news here with the world....

Stay with us and don't sign out please!

globetrotter

Post by globetrotter »

I wish the Aer Lingus livery thats being phased out had belonged to TK, with its big fleet, huge network and now this amazing new mega base would have been perfect, the current TK livery is boring and generic only fix I see for it is current Turkish title in billboard style in black with the tulip and airlines part removed.

hakan

Post by hakan »

globetrotter wrote: 16 Mar 2019, 11:59 I wish the Aer Lingus livery thats being phased out had belonged to TK, with its big fleet, huge network and now this amazing new mega base would have been perfect, the current TK livery is boring and generic only fix I see for it is current Turkish title in billboard style in black with the tulip and airlines part removed.
Happy St. Patrick's Day Globetrotter.Let's talk to THY board about this..... to be sure to be sure.... :-D

I don't think they have any plans for logo or design change at the moment. The only new thing is starting with the new Istanbul Airport is the new crew uniforms.

https://turkishairlines.ssl.cdn.sdlmedi ... 8004EP.jpg

Greets,
Hakan

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Turkish Airlines has launched a FAQ on the opening of the new Istanbul airport:

https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-int/ ... index.html

Some of the information available:

Atatürk Airport will be closed to scheduled flights as of 6 April 2019, 02:00, and Istanbul Airport will commence its operations for all scheduled flights by 6 April 2019, 14:00.

Up to 2 hours of free Wi-Fi internet service is provided in the terminal. Also, the internet service is offered in the café and dining areas.

At the airport, a total of 14 smoking areas/balconies will be provided. (Smoking like a Turk?)

Boarding the aircraft with a mobile barcode instead of boarding card is possible.

Self-serve services will be provided for passengers. "Self Check-in" kiosks, "Self-Service Bag Drop System", "Automatic Passport Control System" and "Automatic Boarding Gate" systems will be in operation.

A family WC is available. (What is that?)
André
ex Sabena #26567

Poiu

Re: Trivia 2019 (miscellaneous news)

Post by Poiu »

Flying Scout wrote: 11 Mar 2019, 16:38 Just heard that Turkish Airlines has cancelled all of its flights to Istanbul on April 6th due to the move to the new airport. First day of the Easter holidays, what a day to chose!!! :(
It will always be the start/end of a holiday or an event for someone somewhere.
Just as with a strike or bad weather this creates a lot of inconvenience for a lot of people.
Don’t take it personal and try to make the best out of it.

hakan

Post by hakan »

sn26567 wrote: 03 Apr 2019, 16:09 Turkish Airlines has launched a FAQ on the opening of the new Istanbul airport:

A family WC is available. (What is that?)
sn26567 I suspect they mean "Parents Room" like we have in Australia. So the father or mother can take kids where there is a nappy change table available as well as a toilet seat and a basin to wash hands, a sanitary box etc. so you don't have to go "Men" or "Women" if you are a father or mother with your kids.

Yes the big day is coming for all parties to move the operation to the new airport. Turkish Do&Co has already started:

https://www.airporthaber.com/havacilik- ... sladi.html

hakan

Post by hakan »

THY Press Office has made a statement to Turkish media that they have completed 94% of the moving task as of 8AM (Turkish time) on 6.April.2019. THY is currently sending the empty planes from Ataturk airport to the new airport as both airports are closed to the normal air traffic.

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

Last flight took off at 02:46L, to Singapore.
Hi. I'm Thibault Lapers. @ThibaultLapers & @TLspotting

hakan

Post by hakan »

Here is the link of the helicopter ride of THY Boss.

There will be more TK planes coming.

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

In the past 24 hours, Turkish Airlines has moved nearly 100 aircraft from its fleet of over 300 aircraft to the newly build Istanbul Airport. “One of the greatest projects in Turkey’s history towards the new home of the national flag carrier,” the airline proudly announced. Next step: equipment weighing approximately 47,300 tons will be carried to Istanbul Airport from Atatürk Airport.

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/turk ... -45-hours/