Any Commercial Impact on MC21 due to MAX issues

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

tsv

Any Commercial Impact on MC21 due to MAX issues

Post by tsv »

Just wondering what UAC Management in Russia are making of the 737 MAX issues? IMO the biggest disincentive to buying Russian Aircraft is the poor after sales support and service. But a secondary reason is that Russian Aircraft are perceived to be less safe than Boeing and Airbus. A third problem is that the Russian Industry does not have capacity to supply a lot of Aircraft.

But the MAX issues changes things a bit. Boeing's reputation for supplying great quality products has taken a big hit. They'll fix the Aircraft soon enough but many feel the way they have handled the issue has been inadequate, with covering their butt seemingly given more priority than addressing the issue. Will it affect MAX Sales?

It also seems increasingly likely Boeing will have to apply some sort of fix to the Aircraft before it is allowed to fly again. The question is how long will this take and how long will it delay deliveries of existing orders? If an Airline decides it needs to order Aircraft of that size when could Boeing deliver them? And when could Airbus or UAC deliver them? Will anybody cancel existing MAX orders?

My point is the A/B duopoly is going to have a hard time supplying the market if the MAX delivery schedule suffers significant delays and/or Airlines turn their back on the MAX. Of course the MC 21 entry into service has itself been delayed until 2021. But the 175 orders they have are all from Russian Airlines and I believe UAC could (and would) make early delivery slots available for any Foreign Airlines if they wish to order. If they can imrpove their after Sales Support surely some Airlines will take a close look at the MC21.

Interested to hear other's perspective.

sn26567

Re: Any Commercial Impact on MC21 due to MAX issues

Post by sn26567 »

I agree with you that Russian aircraft have a poor reputation. In my view, the first beneficiary of the 737 MAX problems will be the Airbus A320neo. Already two airlines are considering a cancellation of their 737 MAX orders: Malaysia Airlines and Lion Air. Others could follow.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Poiu

Post by Poiu »

Almost two years after the first flight of the MC21 and only two more prototypes came out of the factory, this is a strong indication of serious problems.

tsv

Post by tsv »

Poiu wrote: 17 Mar 2019, 12:36 Almost two years after the first flight of the MC21 and only two more prototypes came out of the factory, this is a strong indication of serious problems
I'm not sure if you are suggesting problems with the production rate or with the Aircraft? As far as I am aware the delivery of the 4 Aircraft for the test schedule is more or less on track. Granted it's not a very ambitious delivery schedule but, unlike some other recent programs, they are where they expected to be.

Also there have been no significant issues published in the media about any problems - other than US sanctions delaying the procurement of Carbon Fibre materials. To the contrary all indicators are that this may be a very good Aircraft. And the fact that the US decided to wave their Sanction Wand in the direction of the MC-21 suggests to me that they don't particularly want competition from this Aircraft, i.e the threat to Boing MAX Sales outweighs benefits from Sales of US Components from the Aircraft.
Last edited by sn26567 on 18 Mar 2019, 15:31, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected BBCode

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

I think there is a problem with quotes in this topic, please read viewtopic.php?t=11254 and edit your posts. Please report if your message needs to be removed.