Flybmi ceases operations - Loganair takes over in part

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

luchtzak

Re: Flybmi ceases operations

Post by luchtzak »

jan_olieslagers wrote: 16 Feb 2019, 22:03 Impact on "sister airline" Loganair?
Loganair quickly released a statement on flybmi's bankruptcy: "no impact on Loganair's financial and operational situation"

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/loga ... situation/

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Ryanair to recruit ex-flybmi staff

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Eastern Airways UK Twitter @EasternAirways

Our Flybe franchise Norwich/Aberdeen service will operate as normal despite the sad news of Flybmi (not Flybe) ceasing operations who had been providing the aircraft. Alternate arrangements are already in place so please check in as normal.

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Flybe: "We are very sorry to hear about the situation with the competing British regional airline Flybmi and our thoughts are with their employees during these difficult times. Flybe has nothing to do with Flybmi and our flights continue to operate as normal."

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Ryanair has launched special rescue fares on UK domestic routes (Belfast - London Stansted) from £9.99 and European routes (Milan Bergamo & Nuremberg) from £14.99 for FlyBmi customers affected by FlyBmi filing for administration.

convair

Post by convair »

Very sad for all people concerned.
But not too surprising if you look at the figures they gave in the press release: 522.000 pax on 29.000 flights means an average of exactly 18 pax per flight!
Even if some of the non-profitable flights were paid for by their contractors (SN, LH, AF, Turkish,...) it must have been very hard to offset all of them.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

And once again, just like VLM did, these guys give passengers false hope:
Customers who have travel insurance should contact their travel insurance provider to understand if they are eligible to claim for cancelled flights and the procedure for doing so.
https://www.flybmi.com/
There is no travel insurance for cancelled flights due to bankruptcy. BMI knows this.

What is EU Regulation 261/2004?
•This regulation establishes the common rules on compensation and assistance to passengers in the event of denied boarding and of cancellation or long delay of certain flights within the EU.
•If Customers have booked through a code share partner or a booking agent you should contact them directly regarding an alternative flight.
•Our code share partners are Lufthansa, Brussels Airlines, Turkish Airlines, Loganair, Air France and Air Dolomiti.
•If your flight has been cancelled you may have a statutory right to make a claim for compensation under this regulation.
There is no 261/2004 compensation when an airline goes bankrupt. BMI knows this. The only that is true from the above, is that airlines (LH, SN, TK, ...) must assist passengers and rebook them.

DannyVDB

Post by DannyVDB »

What could this mean for LH and SN flights?

I recently noticed that Adria Airways and Air Dolomiti are doing more and more 'regional' flights for LH (e.g. often the flight MUC-BRU is with the latter).

Would we see them also flying for SN?

Danny

DannyVDB

Post by DannyVDB »

Or taking over some of the aircraft and crew?

D

Cupofcoffee

Post by Cupofcoffee »

Hi all,

I am new here. Well i am one of the unlucky pilots who got yesterday the bad news. It is also hard to believe one has no income anymore from one day to the other. There will be hard timings ahead of us.

I would like to react on the official announcement. This is absolutely crap. All bmi insiders know this. It was just a pre planned set up by the higher managment (the owners). They were just waiting for the right momentum to switch the “OFF” button. It was the last couple of years a “come and go” of ppl, pilots, cabin crew but also managment. There was never a vision, never was there a plan for a brexit scenario, never the intention to renew the fleet etc. You have no idea how much money was literally thrown away. We saw things which we could simply not believe. All the embrear aircraft with lowest hours and cycles went already months ago to Loganair. BMI was staying with the crap. All the maintanance assets were switched over to.....Loganair....also many months ago. Rumour or not, i dont know, but apparentely loganair embraer pilots got their typerating paid by......BMI!!! Cadets even had to pay 30k for a embraer rating, i dont wanna be one of them at the moment. And i can go on. But it is over now.

I always enjoyed flying for bmi. The people i met there were simply amazing. I had a really good time and i would like to thank all of them.

Back to my desk now and looking for ANY job. I need to pay my rent and having bread on the table....tomorow already.
Last edited by Cupofcoffee on 17 Feb 2019, 12:08, edited 1 time in total.

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

Welcome to this place, @CupofCoffe. And all my sympathy!
Do you see any hope in the overtures from RyanAir?

Cupofcoffee

Post by Cupofcoffee »

Hello Jan,

Depends, if i have to pay the rating, i dont think so. Well it is still all overwhelming and i have to get over it. Step by step, i am not sure if there is still an outlook for me in aviation anymore. Not because of my qualifications but just because rotten mentality in aviation.

Thank you for your symphaty.

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Good luck Cupofcoffee, hope you will find a job above the clouds very soon!

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

According to Brussels Airlines, the flights from Brussels to Hanover and to Turin scheduled for Sunday will not take place. "We have already made contact with the passengers we have contact information," said Brussels Airlines spokeswoman Wencke Lemmes who ensures that a solution will be found for them.

In addition, Brussels Airlines operated code-share flights with flybmi to Bristol. Flights were scheduled Monday. "We will, as soon as possible, determine what are the alternatives for these passengers as well," said the spokeswoman.
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Loganair takes over the following routes from 4th March:

Aberdeen-Bristol
Aberdeen-Oslo
Aberdeen-Esbjerg

They remain in the same group, and this sheds some additional light on the above testimony of #Cupofcoffee: Flybmi was plundered for the profit of Loganair.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Boeing767copilot

Post by Boeing767copilot »

sn26567 wrote: 17 Feb 2019, 16:02 Loganair takes over the following routes from 4th March:

Aberdeen-Bristol
Aberdeen-Oslo
Aberdeen-Esbjerg

They remain in the same group, and this sheds some additional light on the above testimony of #Cupofcoffee: Flybmi was plundered for the profit of Loganair.
Loganair receives a lot of financial support from local authorities for their flights to remote areas ans islands.

Comet

Post by Comet »

Passenger wrote: 16 Feb 2019, 23:46
Customers who have travel insurance should contact their travel insurance provider to understand if they are eligible to claim for cancelled flights and the procedure for doing so.
There is no travel insurance for cancelled flights due to bankruptcy. BMI knows this.
Yes there is on some cover available in Britain. You can claim if your airline fails before you travel or while you are away. https://www.bootstravelinsurance.com/si ... er-levels/ That is one, there are others.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

ezis_bis

Post by ezis_bis »

sn26567 wrote: 17 Feb 2019, 15:15 According to Brussels Airlines, the flights from Brussels to Hanover and to Turin scheduled for Sunday will not take place. "We have already made contact with the passengers we have contact information," said Brussels Airlines spokeswoman Wencke Lemmes who ensures that a solution will be found for them.

In addition, Brussels Airlines operated code-share flights with flybmi to Bristol. Flights were scheduled Monday. "We will, as soon as possible, determine what are the alternatives for these passengers as well," said the spokeswoman.
Is there any idea if SN might take avor Brussels-Newcastle/Nuremberg flights?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

ezis_bis wrote: 17 Feb 2019, 17:53 Is there any idea if SN might take over Brussels-Newcastle/Nuremberg flights?
Not immediately: all flights to both destinations are cancelled. I guess that the people who booked codeshared flights on SN website will be re-routed through LHR and FRA or MUC.
André
ex Sabena #26567

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Ashley Quint via twitter

Newcastle to Brussels and Stavanger are to be taken over by @FlyLoganair from March 25