Brussels Airlines in 2019

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

travellover

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2019

Post by travellover » 25 Jan 2019, 15:05

PttU wrote:
25 Jan 2019, 12:08
JustPlanes wrote:
25 Jan 2019, 06:49
How come airlines like Ethiopian and Turkish can build fantastic fleets or brand new airplanes that fly all over the world and the airline of the center of Europe can only fly old planes to a some places... I don't get it!
Support by government, employee cost,... to keep prices low and make a nice profit and attract more customers. And maybe also not too much competition from neighbouring countries?
No monitoring or state aid in the UE, nor in Belgium, nor for SN.
The history of (SN) Brussels Airlines dates back to 2002 when mother company SN Airholding was created by a group of about 40 investors.
In Ethiopia or Turkey, different story, there is a massive financial support by the government to their flag carriers, reaching success.
These countries not being in the UE, ET and TK are not submitted to the EU's rules on competition that are designed to ensure fair and equal conditions for businesses.
Cheers

convair

Post by convair » 25 Jan 2019, 15:08

I totally agree with the posts above and André's article re SN and EW.
I just want to add that the Star Alliance partners won't be too happy about the changes either imho: will the UA Chicago flight codeshare with SN or EW or both? SN for the pax from Dakar and EW for the pax from Milan?
Why not after all? But it will add to pax confusion. :?
And on the SN Toronto flight, codeshare with EW for the Hanover pax or will the EW feed flight codeshare with SN? :? Will SN be allowed to sell the whole route ticket? :?
The old say: why make it simple when it can be complicated? ;)

As I said many months ago, I have no objection against EW taking over the former TC routes and even a few SN holidays destination but to have the whole european network go to EW is sheer stupidity imho.

PttU

Post by PttU » 25 Jan 2019, 18:04

convair wrote:
25 Jan 2019, 15:08
I totally agree with the posts above and André's article re SN and EW.
I just want to add that the Star Alliance partners won't be too happy about the changes either imho: will the UA Chicago flight codeshare with SN or EW or both? SN for the pax from Dakar and EW for the pax from Milan?
Why not after all? But it will add to pax confusion. :?
And on the SN Toronto flight, codeshare with EW for the Hanover pax or will the EW feed flight codeshare with SN? :? Will SN be allowed to sell the whole route ticket? :?
The old say: why make it simple when it can be complicated? ;)

As I said many months ago, I have no objection against EW taking over the former TC routes and even a few SN holidays destination but to have the whole european network go to EW is sheer stupidity imho.
Last year we made a trip DUS-FRA-SFO and BOS-MUC-DUS. We booked through the Lufthansa-site, and I honestly can't remember if the DUS-FRA and MUC-DUS flights were "Lufthansa operated by Eurowings" or "Eurowings operated by Lufthansa" or "Lufthansa operated by Lufthansa Cityline" or whatever. The experience was good, and the experience on the long haul was the most important one as we spent most time on that flight. (And the experience in the airports was important too).
When I check my booking info again, I can see that I had a Lufthansa Booking Code and a Germanwings/Eurowings Booking code, and our original schedule was DUS-CDG-SFO, with the DUS-CDG operated by Eurowings (and an EW-flight number), and CDG-SFO with an LH-flightnumber operated by United Airlines. This was changed to the route over FRA because of a change in flight time which would make the connection at CDG too tight.
So we changed from EW-UA to LH-LH, without hassle, and that's the most important: being because of an alliance, or because of ownership or brand name doesn't matter.

Average Joe doesn't care who operates his flight, as long as comfort and timing are okay, and a journey with (multiple) stopovers can be booked in one time.

Average Joe probably doesn't even know who is in an alliance with who and what the letters in a flight number mean.

When the plane arrives at the gate, it doesn't matter to Average Joe whether it's a eurowings c/s, or it has the Smurfs painted on it.

And in the case of a strike or delay or other troubles leading to cancellations and rebookings, this is always a bad experience, no matter what company. And in most of the above examples and circumstances, I even think a "diverse" alliance or group (like Lufthansa) has more options than one single big airline like TK or ET.

convair

Post by convair » 25 Jan 2019, 20:36

PttU wrote:
25 Jan 2019, 18:04
Average Joe doesn't care who operates his flight, as long as comfort and timing are okay, and a journey with (multiple) stopovers can be booked in one time.
Average Joe probably doesn't even know who is in an alliance with who and what the letters in a flight number mean.
When the plane arrives at the gate, it doesn't matter to Average Joe whether it's a eurowings c/s, or it has the Smurfs painted on it.

And in the case of a strike or delay or other troubles leading to cancellations and rebookings, this is always a bad experience, no matter what company. And in most of the above examples and circumstances, I even think a "diverse" alliance or group (like Lufthansa) has more options than one single big airline like TK or ET.
I doubt you can be considered as Average Joe. For her/him, fewer players mean less potential confusion.

Of course a group (like LH) has more options, but it's due to being bigger than LH and TK, and provided these options are made available to the traveler which apparently is not the case, as illustrated by André's story (EW not offering him a seat on an SN flight after cancellation of his EW flight).

You can make a case for EW taking over all SN's european flights, but why not start with the LH network then: today, between DUS and MUC (german domestic route!), there were several LH flights AND a couple of EW flights; what's the point? And they are apparently planning to do the same between TXL and FRA!
Also from DUS, 3 EW flights to ZRU (yes Zurich, the sacred hub of Swiss of all places!!!) in competition with a Swiss flight! If that's not inconsistency, I don't know what is. :)

Flyuli

Post by Flyuli » 26 Jan 2019, 12:36

OO-SSA is flying for Swiss today, now to Dublin. (GVA-DUB LX 410)

C96C

Post by C96C » 26 Jan 2019, 12:44

Flyuli wrote:
26 Jan 2019, 12:36
SN is operating this route for several weeks already (on Saturdays only BRU-GVA-DUB-GVA-BRU):

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/lx410

Flyuli

Post by Flyuli » 26 Jan 2019, 12:55

C96C wrote:
26 Jan 2019, 12:44
Flyuli wrote:
26 Jan 2019, 12:36
SN is operating this route for several weeks already (on Saturdays only BRU-GVA-DUB-GVA-BRU):

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/lx410
You're right and i missed this particular feature. Thanks!

Luke777

Post by Luke777 » 26 Jan 2019, 19:01

This was the last decade where we still could speak about belgian pilots, flying belgian planes for a belgian airline, the future will be that our guys become european staff operating european airlines... is this worse ? i don t think so...

Bel33

Post by Bel33 » 29 Jan 2019, 21:45

Sometimes we can dream...
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/airc ... w#1f554ed0
SN flying from Manila and other destinations as far away....to Brussels
Unfortunately, it's only an illusory dream...

Matt

Post by Matt » 30 Jan 2019, 11:56

Maybe already mentioned but:

I saw that the Moscow-Domodedovo flights will be canceled in favor of Sheremetyevo.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 » 30 Jan 2019, 18:28

Matt wrote:
30 Jan 2019, 11:56
Maybe already mentioned but:

I saw that the Moscow-Domodedovo flights will be canceled in favor of Sheremetyevo.
Indeed (published 9 Jan 2019): https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/luft ... remetyovo/
André
ex Sabena #26567

Boavida

Post by Boavida » 09 Feb 2019, 15:06

Luke777 wrote:
26 Jan 2019, 19:01
This was the last decade where we still could speak about belgian pilots, flying belgian planes for a belgian airline, the future will be that our guys become european staff operating european airlines... is this worse ? i don t think so...
European airlines? I still see strong national brands in each European country: British Airways, Air France, KLM Royal Dutch, Swiss, Iberia, TAP Portugal, etc etc.... It still matters.

Btw: did anyone notice Brussels Airlines is rolling out a new website? You can have a preview here: https://booking.brusselsairlines.com/en

Significant detail: the name 'brussels airlines' is no longer on the website! It's just the b-logo in this childish cloud design. Another preparation for the disappearance of the brand :cry:

sn26567

Post by sn26567 » 09 Feb 2019, 17:10

Boavida wrote:
09 Feb 2019, 15:06
[Significant detail: the name 'brussels airlines' is no longer on the website! It's just the b-logo in this childish cloud design. Another preparation for the disappearance of the brand :cry:
Initially, the name Brussels Airlines is visible, but indeed it quickly changes into the b logo.

According to a Brussels Airlines spokesperson, this is probably an error due to the alert message about the strike of 13 February above the logo.
André
ex Sabena #26567

KriVa

Post by KriVa » 10 Feb 2019, 09:26

On mobile the “brussels airlines” text remains visible.
Thomas

737MAX

Post by 737MAX » 10 Feb 2019, 11:20

sn26567 wrote:
09 Feb 2019, 17:10
Boavida wrote:
09 Feb 2019, 15:06
[Significant detail: the name 'brussels airlines' is no longer on the website! It's just the b-logo in this childish cloud design. Another preparation for the disappearance of the brand :cry:
Initially, the name Brussels Airlines is visible, but indeed it quickly changes into the b logo.

According to a Brussels Airlines spokesperson, this is probably an error due to the alert message about the strike of 13 February above the logo.
Did you expect them to tell you... "oh yeah, we removed our name as we are rebranding to Eurowings but we forgot to tell everybody about it"? :lol:

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis » 10 Feb 2019, 15:14

LH is extremely happy with very good cargo results in Africa due to the integration of Brussels Airlines Cargo in LH Cargo.
So, LH has the benefits but is still refusing in helping SN when they have difficulties with the A330 or even no new airplanes for them. Swiss Air story......

https://www.cargoforwarder.eu/2019/01/2 ... in-africa/

Ansett

Post by Ansett » 11 Feb 2019, 00:43

Finally, people realize/admit that with LH, we have been for some time already in a Sabena/Swissair scenario exposed by some forum members already a while ago.

Luke777

Post by Luke777 » 11 Feb 2019, 07:40

Atlantis wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 15:14
LH is extremely happy with very good cargo results in Africa due to the integration of Brussels Airlines Cargo in LH Cargo.
So, LH has the benefits but is still refusing in helping SN when they have difficulties with the A330 or even no new airplanes for them. Swiss Air story......

https://www.cargoforwarder.eu/2019/01/2 ... in-africa/
This is the hard side of business: only pick the best parts, the remains go to scrap...

sterling

Post by sterling » 11 Feb 2019, 09:32

It is interesting to see how LH's senior management old school believes that they need a low-cost carrier (Eurowings). Look at Air France-KLM decided to reduce different (low-cost) brand names and harmonize everything, it is just cheaper to have one brand. AF-KLM came to the senses that Joon/HOP! confusing branding is actually costing more money in the long run. Even Delta Airlines tried it with the failed low-cost SONG Airline.
Eurowings project is a example of a living in a denial.

Stij

Post by Stij » 11 Feb 2019, 09:45

sterling wrote:
11 Feb 2019, 09:32
It is interesting to see how LH's senior management old school believes that they need a low-cost carrier (Eurowings). Look at Air France-KLM decided to reduce different (low-cost) brand names and harmonize everything, it is just cheaper to have one brand. AF-KLM came to the senses that Joon/HOP! confusing branding is actually costing more money in the long run. Even Delta Airlines tried it with the failed low-cost SONG Airline.
Eurowings project is a example of a living in a denial.
I agree!
Low Cost long haul is at least very difficult, so why try???
EW will never beat Wizzair's cost structure.
I think SN's Hybrid model is the future. BTW when you look at it: it's just a copy of a mainline US carrier...

Cheers,

Stij