The CityJet Sukhoi SSJ100-95 saga is hurting Brussels Airlines

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Poiu

Re: The CityJet Sukhoi SSJ100-95 saga is hurting Brussels Airlines

Post by Poiu »

saratoga wrote: 22 Oct 2018, 08:55 Flew recently with the sukhoi as well.
Sorry to be pedantic, only pilots fly “with” an aircraft, passengers fly “in” or ‘on” an aircraft.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

saratoga wrote: 22 Oct 2018, 08:55Got also the information that the sukhois will be replaced with the crj’s. No idea if cityjet will get off them permanently.
CityJet might keep the SSJ100s for its charter and ACMI business.

And since Air Nostrum and CityJet joined forces, there is not even a change of operator!
André
ex Sabena #26567

Vic Diesel

Post by Vic Diesel »

I can understand that the company is looking for a more reliable plane on the lower end of aircraft sizes. On the other hand, the change from the SSJ to CRJ will be dreadful for passengers: crampy cabin, no space for hand luggage, no boarding via jetbridge... because apart from the somewhat higher noise level, the SSJ was a formidable plane to fly with! I heard also CC (comfortable workspace in both galleys) and pilots (quite similar to fly like smaller Airbuses) liked flying it.

I will be very careful in the future when booking with SN as to avoid the "crampy tube" CRJ... :evil:
Best regards,
Viktor

(Budapest-born, Vienna-raised, Brussels-based)

AIRMARSHAL

Post by AIRMARSHAL »

I am sorry to hear this, the CRJ-900 is one of my favourites.

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

Quick translation of the essentials - no guarantees, this translation is worth as much as was paid for it:
* first CRJ to start BRU-Nantes service November 1st
* last Sukhoi to leave by March 1st (I hope and trust that means 2019 :) )

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

jan_olieslagers wrote: 02 Nov 2018, 14:53 Quick translation of the essentials - no guarantees, this translation is worth as much as was paid for it:
* first CRJ to start BRU-Nantes service November 1st
* last Sukhoi to leave by March 1st (I hope and trust that means 2019 :) )
Already did the 1st SN flight on 30/10
Citybird
The flying dream

convair

Post by convair »

Vic Diesel wrote: 22 Oct 2018, 12:23 I can understand that the company is looking for a more reliable plane on the lower end of aircraft sizes. On the other hand, the change from the SSJ to CRJ will be dreadful for passengers: crampy cabin, no space for hand luggage, no boarding via jetbridge... because apart from the somewhat higher noise level, the SSJ was a formidable plane to fly with! I heard also CC (comfortable workspace in both galleys) and pilots (quite similar to fly like smaller Airbuses) liked flying it.

I will be very careful in the future when booking with SN as to avoid the "crampy tube" CRJ... :evil:
I tend to agree. I'm not so sure it was a good idea to change now that the SSJ seems to be getting more reliable. And, with experience, more critical spare parts becoming available more quickly and an occasional standby aircraft, the situation could only be improving. It's a nice plane and I read many favorable comments from pax.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

convair wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 13:05
Vic Diesel wrote: 22 Oct 2018, 12:23 I can understand that the company is looking for a more reliable plane on the lower end of aircraft sizes. On the other hand, the change from the SSJ to CRJ will be dreadful for passengers: crampy cabin, no space for hand luggage, no boarding via jetbridge... because apart from the somewhat higher noise level, the SSJ was a formidable plane to fly with! I heard also CC (comfortable workspace in both galleys) and pilots (quite similar to fly like smaller Airbuses) liked flying it.

I tend to agree. I'm not so sure it was a good idea to change now that the SSJ seems to be getting more reliable. And, with experience, more critical spare parts becoming available more quickly and an occasional standby aircraft, the situation could only be improving. It's a nice plane and I read many favorable comments from pax.
I agree, the SSJ’s are getting more reliable and pax love them (when they fly). I still feel they should have gone for the (now) A220’s.

As for the crj, for me the worst cramped uncomfortable flight I have ever had :/

Aerofool

Post by Aerofool »

I've got the impression it's only a temporary solution? There should be a new operator in March, to succeed CityJet?
This is how it was described in L'Echo (in French): " Le 1er mars, tous les Sukhoi devraient avoir disparu, avec l’entrée en vigueur du nouveau contrat qui succédera à l’accord signé avec CityJet. Une adjudication est en cours."

Wayfarer515

Post by Wayfarer515 »

Oddly enough, it seems Air Nostrum, and not Cityjet, will be participating in the next tender. To make matters more interesting, apparently they have included the SSJ-100 in their product offering, wtf? BTW, the tender also includes larger narrowbodies as well, I guess we are seeing the last throws of Brussels Airlines.

ZavCity

Post by ZavCity »

Cityjet and Air Nostrum are one group now!
gtz
paul

Wayfarer515

Post by Wayfarer515 »

I think it was mentioned by someone else that the main issue of the SSJ100 was with the engines, or maybe I was the one who did it. Well, it seems SAFRAN has failed miseraby to Sukhoi, please use google translate:

https://www.vedomosti.ru/business/artic ... alo-letaet

DIBO

Post by DIBO »

It certainly seems to be a serious (structural) engine issue which will negatively impact future operational availability & cost, so wise decision to dump them. But this specific engine problem seems to arise only after 1000-2000 hrs of operation, so it cannot be an explanation for the problems which started already in the first few months of SN operations. These could be more entry-in-service teething problems with a new aircraft type & manufacturer for western Europe.

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

EI-FWE stored at Dublin Airport.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Despite all the problems with its SSJ100s, CityJet has been named" Regional Airline of the Year" at the CAPA Summit in Berlin. Says its CEO Pat Byrne: “it is the time of consolidation and the time of opportunity”.

André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

According to a Tass Agency report, Sukhoi Civil Aircraft and Irish carrier Cityjet may break up cooperation in 2019...

http://tass.com/economy/1037436
André
ex Sabena #26567

thisguy

Post by thisguy »

Apparently the next time i have to fly BRU-BHX in March it says ''Flight is operated by Air Nostrum L.A.M.S.A.'' and equipment just says ''CRK'' , never heard of either so should be interesting.

And also a little bit scary cause the whole Cityjet and SSJ100 stuff was just going smoothly again apart from a couple of late landings/departures the last 2 months, but no where near as bad as in the summer.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

thisguy wrote: 24 Dec 2018, 21:58 Apparently the next time i have to fly BRU-BHX in March it says ''Flight is operated by Air Nostrum L.A.M.S.A.'' and equipment just says ''CRK'' , never heard of either so should be interesting.
Air Nostrum is a Spanish company that recently merged operations with CityJet. CRK is the Bombardier CRJ1000, the big brother of the CRJ-700 and -900. Not the most comfortable plane (a very long narrow tube), but OK for short trips.
André
ex Sabena #26567

thisguy

Post by thisguy »

Thx for the explanation :) didn't know neither so will be interesting, i don't really care who does the flight and with what plane as long as it runs on time without any major issues like the CityJet SSJ had during the summer with cancelled flights.