WOW announcing services from BRU !

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

stefanel

WOW announcing services from BRU !

Post by stefanel »

http://www.lalibre.be/economie/libre-en ... 8a9d5b18ec
In French and only the beginning of the interview, but great news : we'll finally have low cost flights to this wonderful island (Iceland, one of my favourite places on earth, Thomas Cook only offered flights during the 2013 summer) and to the States (although the prices have been lowering recently, example, this 286€ promotion BRU to NYC http://www.flynous.com/cheap-flights-to ... k-for-281/).
Wheee!
Last edited by stefanel on 02 Nov 2016, 11:31, edited 1 time in total.

Passenger

Re: WOW announcing services from BRU !

Post by Passenger »

stefanel wrote:http://www.lalibre.be/economie/libre-en ... 8a9d5b18ec
In French and only the beginning of the interview, but great news : we'll finally have low cost flights to this wonderful island (one of my favourite places on earth, Thomas Cook only offered flights during the 2013 summer) and to the States (although the prices have been lowering recently, example, this 286€ promotion BRU to NYC
La Libre: "...Mais derrière ces prix attractifs, se cachent de nombreux suppléments et une escale obligatoire en Islande..."

stefanel

Post by stefanel »

Passenger wrote:
stefanel wrote:http://www.lalibre.be/economie/libre-en ... 8a9d5b18ec
In French and only the beginning of the interview, but great news : we'll finally have low cost flights to this wonderful island (one of my favourite places on earth, Thomas Cook only offered flights during the 2013 summer) and to the States (although the prices have been lowering recently, example, this 286€ promotion BRU to NYC
La Libre: "...Mais derrière ces prix attractifs, se cachent de nombreux suppléments et une escale obligatoire en Islande..."
I was talking about Iceland. I think this is more interesting than the States, as there are plenty of cheap flights to the States now (I wonder if they lowered the huge taxes they implemented further to Sept 11).
I don't need to pay for a checked-in luggage so I don't care about those extras BTW.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

stefanel wrote:I don't need to pay for a checked-in luggage so I don't care about those extras BTW.
But I guess you need to eat and especially drink on such long flights.

These flights remind me the first low cost flights of Loftleidir (the ancestor of Icelandair) between Luxembourg and New York Idlewild (the former name of JFK) in the 1950s-1960s. Loftleidir was not part of the IATA cartel and heavily undercutting the legacy airlines, but at which cost: DC6B aircraft (when legacy airlines were flying the DC7 and later the 707/DC8/Convair880) with stops in Reykjavik (where a hot breakfast was served in the airport building) and Goose Bay, making it a 24 hrs trip. But then everything was included: meals, baggage, service.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

De Tijd has an interesting article on WOW Air (personally, I had never heard of them...)
http://www.tijd.be/ondernemen/luchtvaar ... 1478092270
Sounds like they are another low end alternative for cheap transatlantic travel, but they are not so very WOW anymore as soon as you go beyond just a seat alone, which most people will likely do given the nature of intercontinental travel.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Inquirer wrote:De Tijd has an interesting article on WOW Air (personally, I had never heard of them...)
http://www.tijd.be/ondernemen/luchtvaar ... 1478092270
Sounds like they are another low end alternative for cheap transatlantic travel, but they are not so very WOW anymore as soon as you go beyond just a seat alone, which most people will likely do given the nature of intercontinental travel.
They are in a niche of "ULCC long haul" so to say. Is it attractive for everyone? Definitely not, at least not for trans-Atlantic, a visit from the US to Iceland or Europe to Iceland is quite doable. But it serves a niche of travellers that fly as low budget as possible, don't take lots of baggage, often take their own food etc. For budget travellers with low expectations/needs, WOW Air is a perfect option to cross the Atlantic.

It must be, both in Europe and in North America, one of the smallest airlines that is so well-known. But as apparent here now, still not as famous as it could be :)

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Flemish newspaper De Morgen did a test: "New York as from 169 Euro" is just a one-way, they say, it's not possible in June 2017 (De Morgen only found a return for 393,38 Euro) and it's excluding luggage. De Morgen even writes the basic fare excludes (hand)luggage. And it excludes seating. DM concludes: with those basis supplements, it's an offer that matches other offers out of Brussels with a stopover.

http://www.demorgen.be/reizen/voor-spot ... -ba35a8a6/

telspace2005

Post by telspace2005 »

I remember Tower Air , one way for 99,00 USD, and Braniff for 129,00 USD (baggages and food included), between JFK and BRU

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

telspace2005 wrote:I remember Tower Air , one way for 99,00 USD, and Braniff for 129,00 USD (baggages and food included), between JFK and BRU
A supplier of mine even flew SFO-BRU for $49.00 on a short-lived Braniff route.
André
ex Sabena #26567

stefanel

Post by stefanel »

Passenger wrote:Flemish newspaper De Morgen did a test: "New York as from 169 Euro" is just a one-way, they say, it's not possible in June 2017 (De Morgen only found a return for 393,38 Euro) and it's excluding luggage. De Morgen even writes the basic fare excludes (hand)luggage. And it excludes seating. DM concludes: with those basis supplements, it's an offer that matches other offers out of Brussels with a stopover.

http://www.demorgen.be/reizen/voor-spot ... -ba35a8a6/
this is exactly what I said, there are plenty of flights from BRU to NYC for 300€ return so I don't see that interesting. The only interesting thing is getting in wonderful Iceland for 60€ (although it's cheaper with wizzair but you have to go to Poland or Budapest.
Actually, I wonder when Ryanair will do Rejkjavik. Anyone?

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

telspace2005 wrote:I remember Tower Air , one way for 99,00 USD, and Braniff for 129,00 USD (baggages and food included), between JFK and BRU
No doubt these were attractive prices in those days, but one shouldn't make the mistake not to escalate fares from decades ago to today's pricing.
What year are we talking about there?
somewhere in the 1980s probably?

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Their campaign "New York as from 169 €" has failed even before it has started: another Flemish newspaper qualifies it as fake:

http://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20161103_02553339

skumfiduse

Post by skumfiduse »

Well, their baseline is 'we promise you that WOW feeling'. I had that WOW-feeling when looking at their schedules & fares. Nice planes though ;)

airbuske

Post by airbuske »

I just read an article that the long-term viability of WOW is in question.

Especially the company lack of fuel hedging would be the problem...

Source:Is Icelandic Aviation Heading Towards A Disaster?
Best regards,

Airbuske

Vic Diesel

Post by Vic Diesel »

airbuske wrote: 24 Oct 2018, 11:22 I just read an article that the long-term viability of WOW is in question.

Well-written and funded article... err, rather not.
Best regards,
Viktor

(Budapest-born, Vienna-raised, Brussels-based)

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Vic Diesel wrote: 25 Oct 2018, 12:43
airbuske wrote: 24 Oct 2018, 11:22 I just read an article that the long-term viability of WOW is in question.

Well-written and funded article... err, rather not.
They also wrote: "Virgin Atlantic and Malaysia Airlines Planes Were Seconds From Colliding Over West London Yesterday!" but that's exaggerated ...

Vic Diesel

Post by Vic Diesel »

luchtzak wrote: 25 Oct 2018, 12:49They also wrote: "Virgin Atlantic and Malaysia Airlines Planes Were Seconds From Colliding Over West London Yesterday!" but that's exaggerated ...
Exactly. Seems to me like that portal is more on the sensationalist than the fact-based side of journalism.
Best regards,
Viktor

(Budapest-born, Vienna-raised, Brussels-based)

sterling

Post by sterling »

Well... it seems that the portal was not wrong... as WOW Air is going to be acquired by Icelandair.
It will give Icelandair the opportunity to get rid off the aging B757 aircraft and rationalize their route network.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Given Wow Air is to be purchased by Iceland Air, how likely is it both airlines will continue to serve BRU in future?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Inquirer wrote: 09 Nov 2018, 14:17 Given Wow Air is to be purchased by Iceland Air, how likely is it both airlines will continue to serve BRU in future?
Icelandair said that in a first step it would keep the two airlines independent. Draw your own conclusions :)
André
ex Sabena #26567