Brussels Airlines' monthly traffic figures

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sn26567

Re: Brussels Airlines' monthly traffic figures

Post by sn26567 »

How can SN's share get lower when its increase in May was 5.3% while BRU increased only by 2.4% ?
André
ex Sabena #26567

DeltaWiskey

Post by DeltaWiskey »

sn26567 wrote: 12 Jun 2018, 21:08 How can SN's share get lower when its increase in May was 5.3% while BRU increased only by 2.4% ?
5.3% is compared to some month 1y ago.
Market share at BRU is compared to last month.

convair

Post by convair »

sn26567 wrote: 12 Jun 2018, 21:08 How can SN's share get lower when its increase in May was 5.3% while BRU increased only by 2.4% ?
I thank you for your question; it is a very good question! :) ;)

SN share decreased compared to April 2018 (39.0% vs 40.9%), but actually increased compared to May 2017 (38.1%).

My mistake. Sorry for the inconvenience. ;)

convair

Post by convair »

SN's pax number in July: +16.4% on July 2017. :o

SN's marketshare at BRU for June and July: 40.1% and 38.3% respectively, compared to 38.0% and 34.2% a year ago.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Again a large difference in August between the increase of SN's pax number (+16.6%) and BRU's pax numbers (a mere +3.4%), showing the continuing increase of SN's market share at BRU, which I'm sure convair will calculate with pleasure.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Stij

Post by Stij »

I calculate 37.37% for August 2018 vs. 33,14% for August 2017.

A few remarks:

Still low compared to LH's 60% at FRA or MUC.
Increasing your market share costs money. For SN and also for Eurowings. But the former gets chastised for it and the latter applauded...

Cheers,

Stij

convair

Post by convair »

Stij wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 11:32 I calculate 37.37% for August 2018 vs. 33,14% for August 2017.

A few remarks:
Still low compared to LH's 60% at FRA or MUC.
Increasing your market share costs money. For SN and also for Eurowings. But the former gets chastised for it and the latter applauded...
Cheers,
Stij
You beat me and your figures are correct and very precise!
sn26567 wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 10:55 Again a large difference in August between the increase of SN's pax number (+16.6%) and BRU's pax numbers (a mere +3.4%), showing the continuing increase of SN's market share at BRU, which I'm sure convair will calculate with pleasure.
Sorry, I'm a bit late André, but one more comment, though: SN's market shares recurrently decrease in July and August; however one should consider that the BRU figures include, besides those of TUI et alia, the many pax (numbers unknown) on SN's charter flights, whilst SN's figures don't.

brabel

Post by brabel »

Why are there still no results of the month of September?
The LH-group already published their results, but no seperate one of SN????

airbuske

Post by airbuske »

SN's pax number in September: + 8.6 %
SLF: + 1,4 %
Best regards,

Airbuske

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

brabel wrote: 11 Oct 2018, 18:31 Why are there still no results of the month of September?
The LH-group already published their results, but no separate one of SN????
In the LH Group report: "Eurowings (including Brussels Airlines)..."

Sic transit gloria mundi...
André
ex Sabena #26567

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

What I don't understand in the Brussels Airport figures is that they mention les transit pax because Brussels Airlines did less flights?!?!
Hasta la victoria siempre.

flightlover

Post by flightlover »

lumumba wrote: 11 Oct 2018, 22:07 What I don't understand in the Brussels Airport figures is that they mention les transit pax because Brussels Airlines did less flights?!?!
Africa and technicals?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

brabel wrote: 11 Oct 2018, 18:31 Why are there still no results of the month of September?
Brussels Airlines no longer issues separate traffic figures :(

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/luft ... c-figures/
André
ex Sabena #26567

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

flightlover wrote: 12 Oct 2018, 03:27
lumumba wrote: 11 Oct 2018, 22:07 What I don't understand in the Brussels Airport figures is that they mention les transit pax because Brussels Airlines did less flights?!?!
Africa and technicals?
Thanks
Hasta la victoria siempre.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

sn26567 wrote: 12 Oct 2018, 08:42

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/luft ... c-figures/
That's a real pitty, because it allowed us to monitor the local performance at Brussels Airport.

If this website has enough punch, it could start an online petition to call upon them to keep releasing seperate figures for the Belgian aviation market. It's our core business, so to say. ;)

Alternatively, it could post the figures themselves, derived from other sources, maybe?
Brussels Airport could provide detailed figures too, at least on headcount (flown seats and distances will be thougher).

But not publishing anything at all is just disrespectful to Brussels and spoiling all the fun for us, IMHO.

What do you think about my idea? Shall we try to see if we can somehow reverse it, or do we just stay in the dark?

Maybe a chalenge for this websitr, but it could even forward this news factfinding and the result of such a petition to our national politicians via mainstream news outlets and ask them for a public reaction?

Commercial results from B.air being fudged with those of a foreign airline can potentially signal very major industrial/economic repercussions on Belgian activities later on, so surely they will have an opinion on it, today too? After all, they are politicians, they have an opinion on anything.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Inquirer wrote: 12 Oct 2018, 10:13
sn26567 wrote: 12 Oct 2018, 08:42
brabel wrote: 11 Oct 2018, 18:31 The LH-group already published their results, but no separate one of SN????
Shall we try to see if we can somehow reverse it, or do we just stay in the dark?
Thanks for your comments, Inquirer. I didn't wait for them to already lobby Brussels Airlines Communication Dept in order to get more detailed figures for SN. But I think the situation is hopeless; here is the response of SN

The fact that Swiss and Austrian continue to publish their statistics separately is different. These two companies are members of the Lufthansa group, but at the same time are - together with Lufthansa - full-fledged carriers. Brussels Airlines is part of the Eurowings Group, an integration that is increasingly taking shape and which aims to create two business entities (long-haul competence centre managed by Brussels Airlines and the short-haul competence centre managed by Eurowings).

I think that this site might not be powerful enough to reverse the situation. It should at least go up to Count Davignon to get something moving.

Pity! As I wrote above yesterday "Sic transit gloria mundi".
André
ex Sabena #26567

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

I understand the reasoning behind it from a purely accounting reasoning, knowing that Brussels Airlines figures will -in future- increasingly reflect less the isolated situation within just one commercial entity due to the spin off of cargo operations, the opening of several bases elsewhere (or whatever they call them), as well as the wetleased flying they undertake but still, it's a pitty we will not get a clear oversight of their performance at BRU in future.

If the Lufthansa group really sees Belgium and BRU as one of their important home markets and doesn't want to be seen here as just another foreign company with some local acitivities here like all the rest, the very least they should do is to demonstrate their unique 'localness' by frquently communicating about their activities on this market on a monthly basis as if they were from here, for instance through a new monthly traffic overview of all their Belgian activities. A sort of Lufthansa Group - Belgium statistic, so to say...
It takes just 5 minutes to pull this from SAP and it would be a smart PR move, commercially.

They really don't seem to know how to play a local non-Germanophonic market very well, those Germans: squandering something as commercially interesting as the home feeling at the local customer base is not something you'd see many multinationals do... IAG is certainly smart enough not to touch it at its different brands for instance, yet Germans are notorious for wrongfully thinking they can make the whole of Europe German since the only difference between them and others must be the language spoken. Lack of cultural finesse and understanding has been an everlasting problem with Germans, and is being demonstrated here once more. These montly statistics from Brussels Airlines were regularly used to fill the biz pages of our national newspapers with, often with a picture too: think about all that free publicity lost! MOL gives an arm and a leg to get into the Belgian newspapers with positive news these days!

I'd say: try the petition/poll, and see how far your arm can reach... what does aviation24 have to loose?

convair

Post by convair »

Inquirer wrote: 12 Oct 2018, 14:25 I understand the reasoning behind it from a purely accounting reasoning, knowing that Brussels Airlines figures will -in future- increasingly reflect less the isolated situation within just one commercial entity due to the spin off of cargo operations, the opening of several bases elsewhere (or whatever they call them), as well as the wetleased flying they undertake but still, it's a pitty we will not get a clear oversight of their performance at BRU in future.

If the Lufthansa group really sees Belgium and BRU as one of their important home markets and doesn't want to be seen here as just another foreign company with some local acitivities here like all the rest, the very least they should do is to demonstrate their unique 'localness' by frquently communicating about their activities on this market on a monthly basis as if they were from here, for instance through a new monthly traffic overview of all their Belgian activities. A sort of Lufthansa Group - Belgium statistic, so to say...
It takes just 5 minutes to pull this from SAP and it would be a smart PR move, commercially.

They really don't seem to know how to play a local non-Germanophonic market very well, those Germans: squandering something as commercially interesting as the home feeling at the local customer base is not something you'd see many multinationals do... IAG is certainly smart enough not to touch it at its different brands for instance, yet Germans are notorious for wrongfully thinking they can make the whole of Europe German since the only difference between them and others must be the language spoken. Lack of cultural finesse and understanding has been an everlasting problem with Germans, and is being demonstrated here once more. These montly statistics from Brussels Airlines were regularly used to fill the biz pages of our national newspapers with, often with a picture too: think about all that free publicity lost! MOL gives an arm and a leg to get into the Belgian newspapers with positive news these days!

I'd say: try the petition/poll, and see how far your arm can reach... what does aviation24 have to loose?
I fully agree; it is a completely un-commercial decision; typical show of german "flexibility". 8-) Or do they have some EW figures to hide in a sort of consolidation?

And, by the way, where do the figures hereunder come from?
airbuske wrote: 11 Oct 2018, 19:08 SN's pax number in September: + 8.6 %

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

convair wrote: 12 Oct 2018, 18:49 And, by the way, where do the figures hereunder come from?
airbuske wrote: 11 Oct 2018, 19:08 SN's pax number in September: + 8.6 %
SN still publishes internally its own figures that have to be consolidated with the Eurowings figures for the final publication by Lufthansa. And some people might have access to these figures...
André
ex Sabena #26567

Jetter

Post by Jetter »

sn26567 wrote: 12 Oct 2018, 11:47I think that this site might not be powerful enough to reverse the situation. It should at least go up to Count Davignon to get something moving.
I wouldn't count on him. Every major Beglian company he was involved in (and there are a lot) was sold to a foreign company or even went bankrupt (Fortis, Sabena). He should have his title removed.