A further deterioration of the Brussels Airport website

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

convair

A further deterioration of the Brussels Airport website

Post by convair »

BRU has now confirmed it is above all a shopping center: you can find a lot of information on their shops, but try to find info on a flight to or from Dakar, Douala or Freetown, you get...nothing!!!

Incredible!!!
They have not been able to provide a system that shows more than the final destination or "first" origin of the flights!!!
Or maybe, it is well hidden? :roll:

Back to the old "panels" please...

ZavCity

Re: BRU website

Post by ZavCity »

Concerning the "info", we can not find anymore the type of aircraft operating amongst other changes except for cargo flights..
gtz
paul

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

The timetables have also gone down the drain... :cry:
André
ex Sabena #26567

Established02

Re: A further deterioration of the Brussels Airport website

Post by Established02 »

I have picked up only reactions of disappointment about this new website.

Maybe Aviation24.be can address this issue with BAC.

I'm looking forward to read their response.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Established02 wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 12:04 I have picked up only reactions of disappointment about this new website.
I read that some people considered the change as long overdue. The old site looked like 20 years old.
Established02 wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 12:04 Maybe Aviation24.be can address this issue with BAC.
This has been done weeks ago, almost immediately after the new site was put online.
Established02 wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 12:04 I'm looking forward to read their response.
The remarks are taken into account and will be integrated into a future update of the site.
André
ex Sabena #26567

convair

Post by convair »

sn26567 wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 12:45 ..........some people considered the change as long overdue. The old site looked like 20 years old.
Yes it did, and was working satisfactorily...

In every organization, there are people who know nothing but find it urgent to change things, particularly those that work well, as you need to spend your budget in order to establish or consolidate your fiefdom.

But the good old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" still applies for me. :)

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

all needed info is removed, timetables, even their jobs page ... guess the most important thing is shopping rather than flights
Citybird
The flying dream

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

Maybe you should watch this one
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

They call it Thatcherism, don't they?

flightlover

Post by flightlover »

CTBke wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 14:41 all needed info is removed, timetables, even their jobs page ... guess the most important thing is shopping rather than flights
Some parts of the old site are gathered under a link "Other sites" that is found at the top right, next to the language selection. I do admit, it is not that obvious as it is in smaller print and somewhat out of visual focus points.

I'm glad they at least kept the cargo arrival and departure site. It's a handy tool, while being at work, to keep an eye on the next plane coming in or nearing it's departure time.

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Waybackmachine shows how the site developed over the years, do you remember this one?
Brussels Airport website 2000.png
June 2000

https://web.archive.org/web/20050315000 ... airport.be

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

;) Yes
Hasta la victoria siempre.

Boavida

Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Post by Boavida »

Can I just throw this in: the new website www.brusselsairport.be is superb. The difference is like day and night with the (horrible) previous one. When you click on a flight, you got very detailed information about where to go, what to do, where to check in, on which belt to pick up luggage, etc.

It all feels intuitive and aesthetically pleasing. And it looks great on mobile devices. Finally a 21st century website.

Job well done !

nordikcam

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Post by nordikcam »

Boavida wrote: 27 Sep 2018, 12:44 Can I just throw this in: the new website www.brusselsairport.be is superb. The difference is like day and night with the (horrible) previous one. When you click on a flight, you got very detailed information about where to go, what to do, where to check in, on which belt to pick up luggage, etc.

It all feels intuitive and aesthetically pleasing. And it looks great on mobile devices. Finally a 21st century website.

Job well done !
But...when you check the arrival flight from Montego Bay you have to write Varadero...and when you check on what time is your flight to Varadero you have to write Montego Bay because on the outbound flight Varadero does not exist and on the inbound flight Montego Bay does not exist. I guess it's the same for African flight ! It's stupid...this new website is beautiful but does not work ! Again : STUPID !

Answer of Brussels Airport : Sorry work in progress...
Brussels Airport a commenté votre publication.
Brussels Airport
26 septembre, 08:15

Bonjour Eric François, c'est le vol TB305 qui part à 11h40. Notre site web est encore en developpement, ces informations seront disponibles bientôt. Bien à vous, *Stefan

convair

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Post by convair »

Boavida wrote: 27 Sep 2018, 12:44 Can I just throw this in: the new website www.brusselsairport.be is superb. The difference is like day and night with the (horrible) previous one. When you click on a flight, you got very detailed information about where to go, what to do, where to check in, on which belt to pick up luggage, etc.
Job well done !
Superb, maybe, but not giving the needed information. Typical of the "change for the sake of change" philosophy very popular nowadays.
convair wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 05:25 Incredible!!!
They have not been able to provide a system that shows more than the final destination or "first" origin of the flights!!! :roll:

Back to the old "panels" please...

evyncke

Post by evyncke »

At least, the web site is using the correct IP version (IPv6) and using Akamai as the CDN.

:-)

OK, I am a geek... and found of IPv6 which is the latest Internet Protocol version and Belgium is secretly the leading the deployment of IPv6 with more than 55% of Belgian Internet subscribers using it without knowing :-)

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

IPV4 vs. IPV6 is a communications/internet protocol, Mr (haha) geek. Nothing to do with the content of the website. And that is the subject matter of this thread.

And (if we may go off-topic) what do you mean by "CDN"? Using codes and acronyms may make you seem a geek to some - others prefer simple facts and plain terminology.
Typical of the "change for the sake of change" philosophy very popular nowadays.
Precisely. Content and factual info become ever more secondary, "looks" and "user experience" are prime. And must be on the change permanently, for fear of loosing attention. Reminds one of adolescents in their first romantic relationships... ;)

pitrixplanespotting

Post by pitrixplanespotting »

ZavCity wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 10:19 Concerning the "info", we can not find anymore the type of aircraft operating amongst other changes except for cargo flights..
gtz
paul
You can now find this when you click on the flight or 'details' and then somewhere on the right! :)

convair

Post by convair »

pitrixplanespotting wrote: 27 Sep 2018, 21:06
ZavCity wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 10:19 Concerning the "info", we can not find anymore the type of aircraft operating amongst other changes except for cargo flights..
gtz
paul
You can now find this when you click on the flight or 'details' and then somewhere on the right! :)
Sorry, but this is not enough! If you look for the flight to Banjul tomorrow (flight SN203 at 11:30 am), click on "details", you find nowhere the information that the flight also stops at Dakar. Only final destinations/first origins are given!
And since Dakar is an intermediate stop on both outbound and inbound flights, there is NO trace of Dakar on the WHOLE site! And that is valid for all "triangular flights: no Douala, no Freetown, no Abidjan on the Lomé flights, and no Ouagadougou on the Abidjan flights...
Besides these small details, the new (under development! :lol: ) site is "Superb". :twisted: :lol:
I suggest they go back to the old, developed site, until the new one is ready to correctly inform the pax.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

convair wrote: 27 Sep 2018, 21:42 I suggest they go back to the old, developed site, until the new one is ready to correctly inform the pax.
There you have a valid point. A new site should not be put online unless it has at least as much information as the old one. It's not a trial and error game.

@BrusselsAirport: Develop a new presentation, have it thoroughly tested by a number of daily users and avgeeks, listen to their remarks, and then only put it online.
André
ex Sabena #26567