What to do if my Lufthansa flight is cancelled ?

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
mike777

What to do if my Lufthansa flight is cancelled ?

Post by mike777 »

Hey !

During October 2018, we leave from Brussels for Orlando via Francfort.
What happens if the BRU-FRA flight (LH1007) is cancelled (as it was the case two days ago)? We miss the next flight (LH464) ...

What to do if this situation arises ? :?
Last edited by mike777 on 13 Oct 2018, 08:27, edited 1 time in total.

luchtzak

Re: In case of flight cancellation ?

Post by luchtzak »

Then you will have to go to the service center at Brussels Airport, they will check for availability on the next available flight or rebook you on another airline.

It's also possible that the airline will contact you via mail or phone, but most likely you will have to go to that service center.

jan_olieslagers

Re: What to do if my Lufthansa flight is canceled ?

Post by jan_olieslagers »

Perhaps relevant to state/decide priorities: get to destination as soon as possible, at whatever cost? Get a maximum refund, if the original schedule can't work out anyway?

From a purely practical point of view: be aware there are more ways to get to Frankfurt Airport than planes - there is a service called ICE train, too... Might be useful if a (hypothetical!) cancellation is announced sufficiently early.

MathijsH

Post by MathijsH »

jan_olieslagers wrote: 22 Sep 2018, 15:06 From a purely practical point of view: be aware there are more ways to get to Frankfurt Airport than planes - there is a service called ICE train, too... Might be useful if a (hypothetical!) cancellation is announced sufficiently early.
I think you have to be careful to go to Frankfurt by own transport then; I believe if you have booked both legs through Lufthansa, you will need to look for a solution together with Lufthansa. Otherwise if you want to check in at Frankfurt, they could theoretically turn you away.

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

Ah, I cannot exclude that, apologies if I sent people up the garden path!

mike777

Re: What to do if my Lufthansa flight is cancelled ?

Post by mike777 »

It's the 3rd day in a row that my flight (LH1007 : BRU -> FRA) is canceled... I start to stress a little ! We take off tuesday (3 days).
Should I call Lufthansa as a precaution ?

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

mike777 wrote: 13 Oct 2018, 08:21 It's the 3rd day in a row that my flight (LH1007 : BRU -> FRA) is canceled... I start to stress a little ! We take off tuesday (3 days).
Should I call Lufthansa as a precaution ?
Indeed, that flight has been cancelled for 3 consecutive days. I would suggest to contact the service center and ask for a rebooking on the earlier flights (if they don't suggest it themselves one day up front).

mike777

Post by mike777 »

luchtzak wrote: 13 Oct 2018, 09:32Indeed, that flight has been cancelled for 3 consecutive days. I would suggest to contact the service center and ask for a rebooking on the earlier flights (if they don't suggest it themselves one day up front).
We just called Lufthansa Belgium and the person on the phone simply said "you'll be notified tuesday morning in case of cancelation". He added that we'll have to recall for a rebooking on the next flight (if there are still seats).

But your idea, Luchtzak, is interesting ! We will think about it ;)

EDIT : By the way, do you think there will be additional cost if we decide a rebooking on the earlier flight (LH1005) ?

mike777

Post by mike777 »

I've edited my above message !

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

mike777 wrote: 13 Oct 2018, 09:56
EDIT : By the way, do you think there will be additional cost if we decide a rebooking on the earlier flight (LH1005) ?
Looking at the history of the flight cancellations, looking at the fact that you - and your family - are booked on a long-haul flight, looking at the fact that Lufthansa is really helping out and taking into account that in case you miss your flight you will get an indemnity of €600 per person I am quite sure they will book you on the earlier flight, just to avoid you being stuck.

MHG

Post by MHG »

As a follow up - how did it turn out ?
Everything went smoothe ?
If not we´re happy to get a report how things went ...