Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

jake99

Re: BRU infrastructure: future

Post by jake99 »

Atlantis wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 08:56 Hi Lumumba,

The satellite will never disappear. After some time it will be integrated into the new C pier. Let's say that the Satellite will be more or less the start/beginning point of the C pier
From what i have seen and what i have heard is that some sort of foundation is already build for this C-pier right now ???

They did something strange and what i never have seen before at the tarmac works at the sattelite.
They poured a concrete base,on top of this they added a quite big layer of asfalt,on top of this they adding the new concrete tarmac.The story goes that with this "system" they only need to remove this top layers when the real works begin for the c-pier.

Maybe someone else can clarify this ?

flightlover

Post by flightlover »

jake99 wrote: 22 Aug 2018, 00:24

The satellite will never disappear. After some time it will be integrated into the new C pier. Let's say that the Satellite will be more or less the start/beginning point of the C pier
From what i have seen and what i have heard is that some sort of foundation is already build for this C-pier right now ???

They did something strange and what i never have seen before at the tarmac works at the sattelite.
They poured a concrete base,on top of this they added a quite big layer of asfalt,on top of this they adding the new concrete tarmac.The story goes that with this "system" they only need to remove this top layers when the real works begin for the c-pier.

Did it look anything like in the picture at this link: https://www.colasbelgium.be/nl/realisat ... 2-zaventem?

One might expect an apron capable of carrying the load of a large plane (over 200t) is more than capable to carry the load of almost any airport structure. Though I can imagine they want to get rid of the slightly compressible layer when installing a long term fixed infrastructure like a terminal.

jake99

Post by jake99 »

The first layer of concrete looks like this,but on top of this they added a layer of asfalt,at a time it looked like a big parking lot but is was still way lo low compared to the road next to the sattelite.
The will finish it with another big layer of concrete (as shown in your picture)

Established02

Post by Established02 »

Climb safe! (Kiss & Ride)
Attachments
DSC00593.JPG

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Conti764 wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 15:08 According to an older article I've just read (April 2017), formal decisions about A pier West were to be taken in 2017. Anything concrete has been decided? Any idea when construction might start? BAC estimates it will be necessary as from 2023...
Hi Conti764,

To give you and the other members to latest info regarding A pier West.

This is a project which will be even bigger than the Connector. So imagine how much preparation is needs for that.
Internally they are busy with it but a European tender is not released yet. First is really important to know what exactly we want, how to fill it in, how much gates, what will come into this new extension, etc etc. A lot of preparation first. But they are busy with it ;)

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Hi Jake99,

Nothing strange at all around the Satellite. This is just renewing of the tarmac. After each couple of years it has to be done and this is now exactly in this time.
No foundation for a C pier or making it stronger for bigger planes, not all of this.
Just normal scheduled maintenance of the tarmac

Greetz
Atlantis

Sai

Post by Sai »

Supposedly there would be plans to demolish the current Sheraton hotel over the main terminal. I didn't find any info to support that. Anyone more info by any chance? Thx

jake99

Post by jake99 »

Atlantis wrote: 22 Aug 2018, 19:18

Hi Jake99,

Nothing strange at all around the Satellite. This is just renewing of the tarmac. After each couple of years it has to be done and this is now exactly in this time.
No foundation for a C pier or making it stronger for bigger planes, not all of this.

Greetz
Atlantis
Hi Atlantis,

Thanks for clarification.
I have never seen or noticed this middle asfalt layer before.
Well we learn everyday :-)

rumors rumors and more rumors

*Any news about when B2 will go down?The rumors that i heard is by end of 2019 ?
*Other rumors are that swissport will move to B4 when they take B2 down and a new "B2" will rise on the
same location.
*As soon as the Ex B3 area is ready for parking the opposite parking (dont know the number)will be moved to this new parking,a new parking building will be build where the current parking is.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

jake99 wrote: 23 Aug 2018, 00:30
Atlantis wrote: 22 Aug 2018, 19:18

Hi Jake99,

Greetz
Atlantis
Hi Atlantis,

Thanks for clarification.
I have never seen or noticed this middle asfalt layer before.
Well we learn everyday :-)

rumors rumors and more rumors

*Any news about when B2 will go down?The rumors that i heard is by end of 2019 ?
*Other rumors are that swissport will move to B4 when they take B2 down and a new "B2" will rise on the
same location.
*As soon as the Ex B3 area is ready for parking the opposite parking (dont know the number)will be moved to this new parking,a new parking building will be build where the current parking is.
About the cargo buildings. This is ongoing. You see already from time to time that a very old one is demolished. This all in the short and long term reconversion of Brucargo.
Those former EAT, DHL, Sabena technics will a disappear and will have new state-of-art buildings.
Don't forget that Brucargo is also moving more to the West, just like A pier West. There will be three state-of-art cargo buildings with direct access to the tarmac, air-side.

Established02

Post by Established02 »

Atlantis wrote: 23 Aug 2018, 17:36Brucargo is also moving more to the West, just like A pier West. There will be three state-of-art cargo buildings with direct access to the tarmac, air-side.
Direct access yes, but that is without additional aircraft parking positions in front of them, I assume.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Established02 wrote: 23 Aug 2018, 18:13
Atlantis wrote: 23 Aug 2018, 17:36Brucargo is also moving more to the West, just like A pier West. There will be three state-of-art cargo buildings with direct access to the tarmac, air-side.
Direct access yes, but that is without additional aircraft parking positions in front of them, I assume.
No, with additional aircraft parking bcs the DHL aircraft will move up also more to the West.
To attract also more cargo carriers, more parking is needed for them.

Established02

Post by Established02 »

What is the future of the LH Technik hangar?

The place looks rather empty now and the wooden patchwork seems to indicate a reluctance to invest in a renovation of this building.

I had picked up a rumour that DHL would take over this site, as they have a need for more space.

If the LHT hangar is about to go, what is the destiny of the HiFly maintenance operations at BRU? Actually I haven't seen any HiFly or other aircraft in front of the hangar in recent weeks. Are they already gone?
Attachments
DSC09837.JPG

KriVa

Post by KriVa »

More than a few aircraft pass by the LHT hangar on a regular basis. Not only HiFly.
Recent visitors include Iberia, Air Canada, Level, WOW, and a few more I can’t remember.
Thomas

BRUflyer

Post by BRUflyer »

I left on a trip Friday morning. There was an enormous queue of non eu passengers waiting for border control stretching the length of the connector. The electronic gates were operating and there was no queue there, so I quickly passed though there. I noticed that all 10 border control posts were staffed, yet there was still such a big queue. Did the airport not foresee enough border control positions? The connector is barely two years old, but apparently already can’t cope with the number of pax... maybe that huge taxfree shop right after border control could’ve been made a bit smaller so more positions for the border control could’ve been installed?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

BRUflyer wrote: 26 Aug 2018, 00:04 I left on a trip Friday morning. There was an enormous queue of non eu passengers waiting for border control stretching the length of the connector. The electronic gates were operating and there was no queue there, so I quickly passed though there. I noticed that all 10 border control posts were staffed, yet there was still such a big queue. Did the airport not foresee enough border control positions? The connector is barely two years old, but apparently already can’t cope with the number of pax... maybe that huge taxfree shop right after border control could’ve been made a bit smaller so more positions for the border control could’ve been installed?
The queue might have been long, but moving fast thanks to the number of positions? The problem is not the length of the queue, but the waiting time before passing passport control.
André
ex Sabena #26567

BRUflyer

Post by BRUflyer »

I don’t think it was moving very fast, though I didn’t hang around the area to check. A friend at EY told me they had a 1.5 hour delay because of it. And I noticed a lot of pax running to get to their gate while I was in the B terminal.

convair

Post by convair »

sn26567 wrote: 26 Aug 2018, 00:11
BRUflyer wrote: 26 Aug 2018, 00:04 I left on a trip Friday morning. There was an enormous queue of non eu passengers waiting for border control stretching the length of the connector. The electronic gates were operating and there was no queue there, so I quickly passed though there. I noticed that all 10 border control posts were staffed, yet there was still such a big queue. Did the airport not foresee enough border control positions? The connector is barely two years old, but apparently already can’t cope with the number of pax... maybe that huge taxfree shop right after border control could’ve been made a bit smaller so more positions for the border control could’ve been installed?
The queue might have been long, but moving fast thanks to the number of positions? The problem is not the length of the queue, but the waiting time before passing passport control.
If there was a long queue, it means controls must have been very slow at some point in time. Maybe they had just opened more positions when BRUflyer saw them.

Matthias

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Post by Matthias »

Interesting news today:

https://www.tijd.be/ondernemen/luchtvaa ... t/10045231 (Dutch only)

According to De Tijd, the flemish government wants to buy the shares of Macquarie. Any thoughts?

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Matthias wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 11:03 Interesting news today:

According to De Tijd, the flemish government wants to buy the shares of Macquarie. Any thoughts?
I think this is a good idea for obvious reasons.
Hasta la victoria siempre.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Matthias wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 11:03 Interesting news today:

According to De Tijd, the Flemish government wants to buy the shares of Macquarie. Any thoughts?
I think that, since BRU is a national airport, it would be better that the Federal Government (which owns already 25% of the shares + 1) buys any shares that become available. But the airport is also a private enterprise, and it is not in the mandate of public authorities to own private enterprises, hence my preference goes to any private company.

And, by the way, it is not "Dutch only", since it is also available in the French counterpart of De Tijd, i.e. L'Echo: https://www.lecho.be/entreprises/aviati ... 45149.html
André
ex Sabena #26567