Ethiopian Airlines' expansion

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Homo Aeroportus

Ethiopian Airlines' expansion

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

ET has already 40% in ASKY (Togo) and 49% in Malawian Airlines, but has now embarked in a further expansion on the African continent.
Last Friday 19AUG, it was announced that a new Mozambique Airlines (100% owned by ET) will start operation by end of 2018.

Today, Tewolde Gebremariam (Ethiopian Airlines Group CEO) told AFP that his company has finalised deals giving it a 49 per cent stake in the national airlines of :
* Guinea, which is restarting after being grounded for 15 years,
* Chad, which stopped flying in 2012,

ET also took a 45% in Zambian Airways which went belly up +20 years ago, and has taken over the management of "Equatorial Guinea's airline" although I am not sure as to what this refers to.

A further step in the long way to the SAATM, Single African Air Transport Market.

H.A.

CRJ 900

Re: Ethiopian Airlines Expansion.

Post by CRJ 900 »

Flew with ET this summer to CPT and back. Very positively surprised. Good service, decent IFE, excellent connection times at ADD, new aircraft B787 and B777 They even picked us up directly at the aircraft (late arrival from VIE) to bring us to the next aircraft. Even the luggage made it on time. Well organized.
In the flight magazine, the CEO of ET was also talking about their ambitious masterplan and that they are even moving faster forward as expected.
Only minor point: ADD itself. A bit overcrowded and not so easy airport. Hope they can follow the pace of ET.
Remarkable: at ADD only one non-ET plane noticed when we were there: LH. All the others ET.
Maybe SN should look at some way of cooperation with them (both *A): together they cover almost whole Africa.
Rgds,
CRJ 900

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

In the pas Brussels Airlines was code sharing with them but not anymore apparently!
Hasta la victoria siempre.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

lumumba wrote: 22 Aug 2018, 23:56 In the pas Brussels Airlines was code sharing with them but not anymore apparently!
Brussels Airlines abandoned the ET codeshare because Ethiopian was siphoning SN's customers to its African destinations! The Star Alliance is not always brotherly love!
André
ex Sabena #26567

Darjeeling

Post by Darjeeling »

Dear SN26567,

ET never "siphoned" any SN pax as the codeshare agreement was limited in terms of seats numbers. ET definitely doesn't need SN to have its operations worked out of BRU, believe me. At a given time, when mutual trust was broken between 9W and SN, there was indeed a pax siphonnage issue coming from 9W (via a fare trick).

Nothing personal here, but I tend to think that you are often misled by SN's internal com propaganda (normal, you are more in touch with an home carrier than an Ethiopian one, again it's normal). I understand why they are being nervous towards ET, since yields in Eastern Africa have plummeted recently, cargo belly is there to compensate... --> I'm not sure they feel as "kings of Africa" as they used to be (or pretended to be...).

BTW, ET could send the 789 or A359 to BRU in a mid-term future (with their latest J-class product).

rwandan-flyer

Post by rwandan-flyer »

I'm not sure they feel as "kings of Africa" as they used to be (or pretended to be...).
Well it's the first ever airline in Africa, to get 100 aircraft, thus they have the biggest fleet in Africa. In terms of passengers carried, they are the 4th largest airline in Africa
Brussels Airlines abandoned the ET codeshare because Ethiopian was siphoning SN's customers to its African destinations! The Star Alliance is not always brotherly love!
Airlines based in Europe have always enjoyed (and still enjoying), a monopoly, in Africa, they should be "happy"^^. Africans carriers represent only 20% of Air Traffic (pax), in Africa

Air France works with Kenya Airways, since 10 years, KLM works with Kenya Airways since mid 1990s, Lufthansa works with Ethiopian, since 2007, they have don't any problem.

Air France will add more flights to Nairobi, in 2019, while Kenya Airways added two more weekly flights this summer to Paris and Amstedam.

I guess SN is happy, when a pax flies from Rwanda to Gambia, and makes a stop at Bru, because to fly in Africa, is sometimes a mess (long connecting, expansive fares, huge delays,...)
Rwanda Aviation News (Drones, Air Force, Civil Aviation, Space, Air Balloon): https://www.facebook.com/RwandAn-Flyer-153177931456873

rwandan-flyer

Post by rwandan-flyer »

I have found the right thread! :mrgreen:

Ethiopian Airlines will resume Athens service, from 13 December 2019. ATH is a Star Alliance hub with Aegean Airlines network, in Europe. I don't know if Aegean will add its code on some Ethiopian Airlines flights.

The United Airlines service ATH-New York is operated only in summer.

I don't know, if they will be a impact on Brussels Airlines ops to Africa

Edit: ET has already a code share agreement with Aegean Airlines

https://news.gtp.gr/2019/09/26/ethiopia ... -18-years/
Rwanda Aviation News (Drones, Air Force, Civil Aviation, Space, Air Balloon): https://www.facebook.com/RwandAn-Flyer-153177931456873

sn-remember

Post by sn-remember »

I think it's long overdue. I was expecting the ATH service to resume much earlier.
ATH used to be a key destination in ET's network several decades ago.
There is trafic to east and south Africa to grab via ADD.

rwandan-flyer

Post by rwandan-flyer »

Ethiopian grows wet-lease co-operation with ACC -

03 October, 2019 SOURCE: Cirium Dashboard BY: Jonathan Robins London

UK aircraft lessor ACC Aviation and Ethiopian Airlines have expanded a partnership to bring the carrier's charter and wet-lease capacity to North America and Asia.

Under a new agreement, Ethiopian aircraft will become available for wet-lease or charter operation from London Heathrow, Manchester, Frankfurt, Paris Charles de Gaulle, Rome Fiumicino, Milan, Moscow Domodedovo, Houston, Bangkok, Beijing, Shanghai and Chengdu, ACC Aviation says

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... cc-461251/

Maybe a link with this, they don't want to be in the red and they anticipate

Real commitment to #Africa: #Ethiopia|n Airlines (ET) has $100 million stuck in Angola, Sudan, Zimbabwe & Eritrea due to foreign-exchange shortage. But ET wouldn’t pull out of these markets to show its long-term commitment, as a pan-African carrier. Source: ET’s CEO via @business

https://twitter.com/Zemedeneh/status/11 ... 8726463488

sn-remember

Post by sn-remember »

ET have indeed big ambitions regarding the African market as a whole. They invest in every corner of Africa, creating multiple subsidiary airlines, having a finger in every pie, they are becoming ubiquitous on the continent. In the grand scheme of things they will emerge as the only African carrier in town if things continue going their way.
And this is not a healthy situation if you ask me.
They are building on the early starter's advantage and creating void around them.

Yet the continent (and the growing market it represents) should be capable of supporting at least 2 more solid actors..

Indeed we have KQ and SA performing rather poorly lately and in great need of overhauling their operations.
As I see it, those two actors would greatly benefit from a complementary hub in West-Africa, I can imagine Arik joining SAA and the upcoming AirPeace joining KQ? Or the other way round … That would leave Asky as the sole westAfrican arm of ET.
DT as well as WB could jump in a wagon of their choice once the picture takes shape.
--
Now I realize the many pitfalls such a scheme would face. To lure investors in you need plain private ownership (but let's not dream too much) or state ownership exempt of interventionism, as is the case for ET, not quite so for SA unfortunately; KQ being on the verge of nationalisation, let's see how they turn out.…
As for the starting AirPeace, they might think about consolidating operations from the very begining, merging with SA or KQ as I look forward to. But please not ET !
Arik are already a prey of ET but there's always hope things can change.

rwandan-flyer

Post by rwandan-flyer »

Ethiopian Airlines records $260 million profit in FY 2018-19

October 07, 2019: Ethiopian Airlines has earned an operating profit of $260 million for the fiscal year 2018-2019 that ended in June 2019. According to Reuters, the group chief executive officer of the airline Tewolde Gebremariam said in an interview last month that the passenger numbers had increased by 14 percent.

Gebremariam told The Reporter that the 2018-2019 fiscal year was the most challenging year in the history of the 73-year-old airline. “As you know the 2018-2019 was a very challenging year. In fact, we believe that it was the toughest year in our history,” he said.

https://www.logupdateafrica.com/ethiopi ... 9-aviation

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

rwandan-flyer wrote: 07 Oct 2019, 18:28 Ethiopian Airlines records $260 million profit in FY 2018-19
Remarkable achievement after their 737MAX crash.

It looks like they have lost confidence in Boeing, with the impending purchase of 20 A220 aircraft. Their Boeing aircraft were grounded twice (787 and 737MAX) after the airline suffered two accidents/incidents with both of them.
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Re: Ethiopian Airlines' expansion

Post by sn26567 »

Ethiopian Airlines Group would consider buying a stake in South African Airways — should South Africa decide to sell equity in the struggling state carrier.
André
ex Sabena #26567

TLspotting

Re: Ethiopian Airlines' expansion

Post by TLspotting »

Hi. I'm Thibault Lapers. @ThibaultLapers & @TLspotting