Brussels Airlines in 2018

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Poiu

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2018

Post by Poiu » 31 Mar 2018, 13:52

Why don’t they call Air Belgium?
Two A340s ready to go with a couple of hours notice. (I know why, but I will be shot down in flames if I write it down)

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam » 31 Mar 2018, 14:02

RoMax wrote:
31 Mar 2018, 13:45
The age of many of those A330's is showing more and more. To some extent it's normal, but it really seems to become more than normal. But it's not like the management doesn't know, in case you missed it 7 much newer, more reliable and more efficient A333's will join the fleet soon and already this summer as from June OO-SFC will join the fleet so that there is a 'hot spare' on many days of the week (currently there is usually 1 A330 on the ground almost every day, but that's mostly for regular maintenance).
Yes ! I had perfectly noted that 7 new aircrafts were programmed ... well 7 ... one has already gone to Eurowings. ;) Let's go!
So at the time of booking I ask the registration of the aircraft to know if I may be impacted ... More simple: do not book ... book elsewhere and that's what I do and that I regret! :roll:

RoMax

Post by RoMax » 31 Mar 2018, 14:07

Poiu wrote:
31 Mar 2018, 13:52
Two A340s ready to go with a couple of hours notice. (I know why, but I will be shot down in flames if I write it down)
Who says they're ready to go in a couple of hours for SN?!
Do you really think SN is cancelling (or delaying by 24h) long haul flights just because it's too proud to wet-lease from e.g. AB?! Any idea about the costs of this vs. a 1 time wet-lease? I would really expect some realism on this forum instead of those stupid theories.
nordikcam wrote:
31 Mar 2018, 14:02
Yes ! I had perfectly noted that 7 new aircrafts were programmed ... well 7 ... one has already gone to Eurowings. ;) Let's go!
So at the time of booking I ask the registration of the aircraft to know if I may be impacted ... More simple: do not book ... book elsewhere and that's what I do and that I regret! :roll:
The A330 fleet roll-over planning is not impacted by the 10 month wet-lease to EW, several aircraft are simply coming in early vs. the moment they are needed to effectively replace current A330's. Early termination of lease contracts is in most cases not an option at all.
7+1 (SFX is of the same generation) and like with any fleet replacement program, it takes some time. Phasing in 7 new A333's between now and end 2019/early 2020 is a huge amount of work for a small airline like SN (besides all the other work of new A320's entering the fleet, the A340's for EW, etc.).

You'll never exclude AOG's completely even with the newest most reliable fleet around, and with a small fleet like the one of SN it will always cause trouble at some moment and when a last minute wet-lease aircraft is not available...well then this happens.

Besides, do you have the statistical proof that this a much more regular issue at SN than other airlines? It's always easy to judge on an airline (or other company) which you're following much more closely (e.g. because of personal interests, because of what you regularly use yourself, ...). That doesn't mean the grass is that much greener on the other side.

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam » 31 Mar 2018, 14:26

RoMax wrote:
31 Mar 2018, 14:07

Besides, do you have the statistical proof that this a much more regular issue at SN than other airlines? It's always easy to judge on an airline (or other company) which you're following much more closely (e.g. because of personal interests, because of what you regularly use yourself, ...). That doesn't mean the grass is that much greener on the other side.
I obviously do not have official statistics ... but I have mine! In 2017 : 3 YYZ with SN of which 2 canceled.
1 with AC and 1 with LH who were operated on. 6 with AF / KL that were operated too. If the grass is not greener, there is grass!

But it's because I'm attached to SN that I rattle! "Qui bene amat, bene castigat" ! ( Qui aime bien, châtie bien ) ;)

Darjeeling

Post by Darjeeling » 31 Mar 2018, 15:23

The state of some of SN's A330 is just appalling... You should see the mid-galley of OO-SFW (just when you enter via door 2), I'm sure even AFSCA/FAVV would not dare to approve and certificate what I've seen... Last year when I took them to Canada, the contrast with AC Dreamliners was hmm hmm hmm.

Some of these planes almost 25 years of age and on the kneecaps, I think the lavatories are still Air Inter' style. A real shame. I'm not sure Kam Air would want them.

You'll tell me OK, but even Delta flies 25 yrs 767s. OK, but when they retrofit them, it's the whole cabin cell, including lavatories and galleys. And DL keeps receiving A350s and A330s to cover their future needs.

Darjeeling

Post by Darjeeling » 31 Mar 2018, 15:30

Poiu wrote:
Because I think that calling Mont-Saint-Guibert in a "certain" language requires skill and swallowing its own "pride". After all, as they internally keep saying, "they are the kings of Africa"... (sic !).
I think that before becoming center of excellence for the EW A340, they should have fixed their operational/mx issues with their own existing fleet.

Jetter

Post by Jetter » 31 Mar 2018, 16:04

Darjeeling wrote:
31 Mar 2018, 15:23
The state of some of SN's A330 is just appalling... You should see the mid-galley of OO-SFW (just when you enter via door 2), I'm sure even AFSCA/FAVV would not dare to approve and certificate what I've seen...
Amazing how an airline with planes like that can be a 'center of excellence'. :o

crew1990

Post by crew1990 » 31 Mar 2018, 16:14

nordikcam wrote:
31 Mar 2018, 14:26
RoMax wrote:

I obviously do not have official statistics ... but I have mine! In 2017 : 3 YYZ with SN of which 2 canceled.
1 with AC and 1 with LH who were operated on. 6 with AF / KL that were operated too. If the grass is not greener, there is grass!

But it's because I'm attached to SN that I rattle! "Qui bene amat, bene castigat" ! ( Qui aime bien, châtie bien ) ;)
I m a cabin crew for Brussels Airlines, in the hundred of flight (50x2) that I operated last year on long haul, only two was delayed with 24h.

I’m really sorry if 2 of your flight was cancelled, this is what we call bad luck. But still it s really unlikely to have a cancelled flight.

Oh and by the way last week Lufti cancelled a flight to JFK, we had some of the pax on board.

This is aviation...

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam » 31 Mar 2018, 16:36

crew1990 wrote:
31 Mar 2018, 16:14

I m a cabin crew for Brussels Airlines, in the hundred of flight (50x2) that I operated last year on long haul, only two was delayed with 24h.

I’m really sorry if 2 of your flight was cancelled, this is what we call bad luck. But still it s really unlikely to have a cancelled flight.

Oh and by the way last week Lufti cancelled a flight to JFK, we had some of the pax on board.

This is aviation...
Thank you for these remarks. I generally appreciate your comments like those of Romax or others. That said, and if I may, "bad luck" is a "typical" answer ( réponse type ) to a customer "lambda". I do not think that a general management can be satisfied in AG to say "Oohh...bad luck" ... there is a real problem and the passenger who perceives it is a passenger often "lost".

RoMax

Post by RoMax » 31 Mar 2018, 16:55

nordikcam wrote:
31 Mar 2018, 16:36
Thank you for these remarks. I generally appreciate your comments like those of Romax or others. That said, and if I may, "bad luck" is a "typical" answer ( réponse type ) to a customer "lambda". I do not think that a general management can be satisfied in AG to say "Oohh...bad luck" ... there is a real problem and the passenger who perceives it is a passenger often "lost".
And the problem is being solved, but new A330's don't fall out of the sky (no pun intended).

SN's M&E department is doing what it can to keep these old aircraft as reliable as possible and they're doing a very good job (and from what I know Airbus is quite impressed by the way these oldest A333's are kept operational the way they are). But yes the amount of AOG's is too high compared to what should be acceptable, especially as SN cannot absorb this easily with its small fleet.

But the bad luck comment remains valid to a certain extent, it's not because you were very unlucky to have 2 out of 3 flights cancelled, that this is the standard. You could have faced the same issue with another airline.

lumumba

Post by lumumba » 31 Mar 2018, 17:21

nordikcam wrote:
31 Mar 2018, 14:26
RoMax wrote:

Same for me last year one Douala and one Kinshasa cancelled and that's for 12 months...the last 10 years with Air France 0 for the last 10 years with TAP 1 and I never had one cancellation with Lufthansa all my life and that's the airline I fly the most....

But I continue to fly SN because it's my airline also when I fly SN I never ever receive my miles I always have to ask them after ...yes there is a lot of work here!
Hasta la victoria siempre.

Jetter

Post by Jetter » 31 Mar 2018, 17:34

Looked at some facts, the completion factor of SN isn't bad compered with other large European airlines. Their on-time performance is much worse than average though. See: https://www.flightstats.com/company/mon ... /airlines/

Poiu

Post by Poiu » 31 Mar 2018, 18:49

RoMax wrote:
Poiu wrote:
Who says they're ready to go in a couple of hours for SN?!
Do you really think SN is cancelling (or delaying by 24h) long haul flights just because it's too proud to wet-lease from e.g. AB?! Any idea about the costs of this vs. a 1 time wet-lease? I would really expect some realism on this forum instead of those stupid theories.
I can tell you that AB has lots of crew who are eager to fly and have their mobile phones on, hoping they get a call. A daily inspection and the A340s are ready as well. If they don’t fly for SN it’s because SN didn’t call AB.
As you are close to SN, maybe you can ask them why and suggest them to do so in the future.
Shooting the messenger and call his theories stupid is easy but not convincing!

lumumba

Post by lumumba » 31 Mar 2018, 18:58

Jetter wrote:
31 Mar 2018, 17:34
Looked at some facts, the completion factor of SN isn't bad compered with other large European airlines. Their on-time performance is much worse than average though. See: https://www.flightstats.com/company/mon ... /airlines/
Believe I'm not lying and for me it's obvious that SN has more cancellation than the others or in the past flying in an old Tri Star etc...my experience is based on years flying 300.000 miles a year.

No a better option is to react and find solutions.
Last edited by lumumba on 31 Mar 2018, 19:32, edited 1 time in total.
Hasta la victoria siempre.

RoMax

Post by RoMax » 31 Mar 2018, 19:19

Poiu wrote:
31 Mar 2018, 18:49
I can tell you that AB has lots of crew who are eager to fly and have their mobile phones on, hoping they get a call. A daily inspection and the A340s are ready as well. If they don’t fly for SN it’s because SN didn’t call AB.
A yes let's call the crew and Sabena Aerospace (or is it LHT for them?) and it'll be alright for tomorrow. :roll:

Again, think about the cost of a 24h delay or a cancellation of 1-2 long haul flights, whoever could fly, they would take it.

convair

Post by convair » 31 Mar 2018, 20:38

The current problem seems to be due to SFM that should have been back from mx several days ago (was scheduled for YYZ on the 25th!) but is still in Hahn (almost 5 weeks now).
They should have seen it coming.

I agree with RoMax that SN would do anything possible in order to avoid a cancellation, ...except call on Air Belgium. That would be a crime of "lèse-majesté", equivalent to "high treason". ;)
Last edited by convair on 01 Apr 2018, 19:51, edited 1 time in total.

Ansett

Post by Ansett » 31 Mar 2018, 20:40

Jetter wrote:
31 Mar 2018, 16:04
Darjeeling wrote:
31 Mar 2018, 15:23
The state of some of SN's A330 is just appalling... You should see the mid-galley of OO-SFW (just when you enter via door 2), I'm sure even AFSCA/FAVV would not dare to approve and certificate what I've seen...
Amazing how an airline with planes like that can be a 'center of excellence'. :o
As I have said, I will believe it when I see it, this centre of excellence in Brussels.

But let's see thinks as they are today and let's say that SN is doing an excellent job with what LH is prepared to give them.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 » 01 Apr 2018, 01:35

convair wrote:
31 Mar 2018, 20:38
The current problem seems to be due to SFM that should have been back from mx several days ago (was scheduled for YYZ on the 25th!) but is still in Malta (almost 5 weeks now).

I agree with RoMax that SN would do anything possible in order to avoid a cancellation, ...except call on Air Belgium. That would be a crime of "lèse-majesté", equivalent to "high treason". ;)
That's old SN (Sabena/(SN) Brussels Airlines) maybe. But I can't imagine LH would just accept its daughter company to cancel flights when two perfectly flyable A343's are standing idle at BRU because of mere pride... Remember, it's Africa tjey're cancelling. Not some N-American destination where there are plenty of rerouting options...

JustPlanes

Post by JustPlanes » 01 Apr 2018, 07:18

convair wrote:
31 Mar 2018, 20:38
The current problem seems to be due to SFM that should have been back from mx several days ago (was scheduled for YYZ on the 25th!) but is still in Malta (almost 5 weeks now).

Air Belgium is not a competing airline at all with SN... and if it means helping their pax vs stranding them its the right thing to do... not to mention they would get a better deal than chartering any other airline because the planes are right in BRU.

I still cannot believe that SN owned by LH which has so many new planes on order doesn't have a single new plane bound for SN... just old stuff others don't want anymore... if that isn't sad... nice to see TUI flying new dreamliners and 737 MAX aircraft... I wonder what the people at SN think of this situation!

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam » 01 Apr 2018, 10:30

nordikcam wrote:
31 Mar 2018, 12:56
And we left for a New Festival of SN l/h cancellations ... today Accra and Lomé moved to tomorrow ... tomorrow Toronto moved or not ... scary! The new CEO does not just have the work to do ( pain sur la planche ) , but the whole bakery!-+
Ouch ! It's not only the YYZ flight to be cancelled. The JFK too ! 25% of SN l/h flights cancelled today ! Welcome Mrs the new CEO...maybe is it a joke beacause 1 of April ?? :roll: