Air Belgium in 2018

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sn26567

Re: Air Belgium in 2018

Post by sn26567 »

Air Belgium seeks partnerships and commercial arrangements to operate its planned short-haul routes, and the carrier may wet lease narrowbodies for the routes as well. Air Belgium will initially focus on Asia, followed by the acquisition of A330-900neo or A350 pending current talks with Airbus. Phase three ending 2028 consists of routes to North and South America.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

sn26567 wrote: 08 Mar 2018, 19:16 Air Belgium will initially focus on Asia, followed by the acquisition of A330-900neo or A350 pending current talks with Airbus. Phase three ending 2028 consists of routes to North and South America.
They must have very very very very deep pockets... No AOC yet, not a single commercial flight, not a single seat sold, no commercials, not much movement at all and yet they are talking about acquiring brand new planes? And talking about 10 years from now?

Like said, either their shareholders have tremendous deep pockets or someone has been smoking something very strong :mrgreen:

sn-remember

Post by sn-remember »

Let's summarize :
http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/econ ... arrier-air
I am not sure the A340-300 is the gaz guzzler they say ..
As being mentioned, without feeding flights they might have trouble filling their plane.
Also they don't mention the possible infrastructure issue at crl (insufficient runway length, constrained terminal facilities to accomodate big numbers, suboptimal traveller access by road or train)

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

sn-remember wrote: Also they don't mention the possible infrastructure issue at crl (insufficient runway length, constrained terminal facilities to accomodate big numbers, suboptimal traveller access by road or train)
No need for a fancy terminal for one plane at a time.
Suboptimal access ? At least there is no 45min extra delay for the last 5km. Avoiding the mess, the stress, the security queues, the awful handling of snow , that's pretty clever.
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Acid-drop wrote: 11 Mar 2018, 15:38 Suboptimal access ? At least there is no 45min extra delay for the last 5km.
Passengers coming by car from the north of Brussels also face that 45 minutes extra delay. They just have it during an earlier part of their journey. And passengers from the north don't have a convenient public transport access to CRL (contrary to a direct train to Brussels Airport).
Acid-drop wrote: 11 Mar 2018, 15:38 Avoiding the mess, the stress, the security queues, the awful handling of snow, that's pretty clever.
We'll see what the minimum check-in time will be that Air Belgium will apply.
And we'll see what will happen when winter rules in the south.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Schedule from direct competition:

outgoing from BRU or from AMS:
BRU-HKG CX-338 : dep BRU 13h10 (arr 07h05) (summer schedule)
AMS-HKG CX-270 : dep AMS 12u45 (winter)
AMS-HKG KL-0887 : dep AMS 17u40 (winter)

incoming to BRU or to AMS:
HKB-BRU CX-339 : arr BRU 06h55 (dep 00h35) (summer schedule)
HKG-AMS CX-271 : arr AMS 06h15 (winter)
HKG-AMS KL-0888 : arr AMS 18h55 (winter)

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Passenger wrote: 11 Mar 2018, 17:48 Schedule from direct competition:
You could also add CDG, easier to reach than AMS by direct HST from Brussels.
André
ex Sabena #26567

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

¿ Is a train from Brussels to Paris Airport easier than a train from Brussels to Amsterdam Airport? OK, the TGV/Thalys may be faster, but easier? And the train to AMS will become a bit faster - well, a bit less slow :) - when it begins to use the high speed line, in a couple of weeks.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

sn26567 wrote: 11 Mar 2018, 18:02
Passenger wrote: 11 Mar 2018, 17:48 Schedule from direct competition:
You could also add CDG, easier to reach than AMS by direct HST from Brussels.
Actually, the KLM and CX schedules proof that there won't be a problem for AB, regarding the night curfew at CRL.

And depending on the slots they can get at HKG, a departure early afternoon will make it possible to avoid traffic problems. Though most people don't keep that in mind, when booking.

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

Just for fun, I found these renders of different types of aircraft in Air Belgium colors. Let's dream :)

B787

A350

A321NEO

And oh why not a 747 8-)

Source: https://community.infinite-flight.com/t ... 26683/4514

About the corporate identity (from a graphic design point of view): I hope they ditch the crown element in the logo, it makes it too complex. The AB is enough. The 'simpler' a logo, the better. I also would go for a different font type. For example the 'air canada' titles are more stylish.

About the company: I really hope they'll become a succes. Certainly if SN will evaporate into EW, maybe Air Belgium can become the new flag carrier (and also fly from BRU), with help from the Belgian business world. They all revolted after the news SN would disappear, well now, let's show some action and invest in Air Belgium.

Shonix

Re:

Post by Shonix »

Boavida wrote: 12 Mar 2018, 13:57 About the company: I really hope they'll become a succes. Certainly if SN will evaporate into EW, maybe Air Belgium can become the new flag carrier (and also fly from BRU), with help from the Belgian business world. They all revolted after the news SN would disappear, well now, let's show some action and invest in Air Belgium.
We all hope so. However, let's never underestimate the politics in Belgium. Never... Air Belgium is flagged as a "Walloon project" which doesn't makes things easier when the country is mostly ruled by the "Flemish" at the Federal level.

I don't want to start a debate about Walloons vs Flemish but unfortunately, this parameter has to be taken into account.

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

jan_olieslagers wrote: 11 Mar 2018, 18:28 ¿ Is a train from Brussels to Paris Airport easier than a train from Brussels to Amsterdam Airport?
Yess, for sure ! I never fly Long haul from BRU( SN does not fly where I have to go : West Coast Canada and USA and Carribbean places or South East of Asia ). So, I take this train 2 times a week more or less. Just back from LAX today where someone asked me if there was an airport in Brussels !!!!!!!!!!!!!
But at ZYR you have a luggage service offered by AF from BRU that KL not offers for AMS...TGV is faster for true and Terminal 2E gates K,L and M very well organised @ CDG I guess.
With what it's happening to SN by LH and the possible tranfsert of long haul flights to DUS, FRA or MUC I guess I'll forget BRU definitely ! Sad !

Boavida

Re: Re:

Post by Boavida »

Shonix wrote: 12 Mar 2018, 16:29
Boavida wrote: 12 Mar 2018, 13:57 About the company: I really hope they'll become a succes. Certainly if SN will evaporate into EW, maybe Air Belgium can become the new flag carrier (and also fly from BRU), with help from the Belgian business world. They all revolted after the news SN would disappear, well now, let's show some action and invest in Air Belgium.
We all hope so. However, let's never underestimate the politics in Belgium. Never... Air Belgium is flagged as a "Walloon project" which doesn't makes things easier when the country is mostly ruled by the "Flemish" at the Federal level.

I don't want to start a debate about Walloons vs Flemish but unfortunately, this parameter has to be taken into account.
Well, they could have made it a real 'Belgian' project by choosing BRU (the NATIONAL airport) as hub. But sadly, sadly they chose CRL. This reinforces the 'Walloon' perception of the project.

I hope I'm wrong but I think this was a BIG mistake.

convair

Post by convair »

Boavida wrote: 12 Mar 2018, 17:08

Well, they could have made it a real 'Belgian' project by choosing BRU (the NATIONAL airport) as hub. But sadly, sadly they chose CRL. This reinforces the 'Walloon' perception of the project.

If (biiiig IF) they start operating one day :?: :?: :?: , I wouldn't be surprised to see them move to BRU in a year or 2.

quixoticguide

Post by quixoticguide »

convair wrote: 12 Mar 2018, 17:17
Boavida wrote: 12 Mar 2018, 17:08

If (biiiig IF) they start operating one day :?: :?: :?: , I wouldn't be surprised to see them move to BRU in a year or 2.
Move to BRU and go back to CRL when the runway is long enough.
Visit my flights on: http://www.quixoticguide.com

quixoticguide

Post by quixoticguide »

Or maybe they can sell Air Belgium to QR like Air Italy :p
Visit my flights on: http://www.quixoticguide.com

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Belgium's State Gazette (Belgisch Staatsblad - Moniteur belge) 09th March 2018:

http://www.ejustice.just.fgov.be/tsv_pd ... 043415.pdf

DeltaWiskey

Post by DeltaWiskey »

Shonix wrote: 12 Mar 2018, 16:29 We all hope so. However, let's never underestimate the politics in Belgium. Never... Air Belgium is flagged as a "Walloon project" which doesn't makes things easier when the country is mostly ruled by the "Flemish" at the Federal level.

That is just a ridiculous statement. I guess you have never dealt with our Aviation Authorities yourself, they are just as "hard" for everyone, be it Flemish, Walloon,... They don't have a preference for one part of the country, quite some of them don't even speak Dutch, which is ok by me, as long as they do their job in a decent manner.

If VLM is not getting their AOC in a reasonable timeframe, everyone on this forum blames politics and Walloon politicians influencing of the BCAA for not letting this "Flemish" project taking off. If it's Air Belgium not getting its AOC in a reasonable time, it's exactly the opposite. (Apparently it has never crossed anyone's mind that both of them might have submitted a file that was subpar? The BCAA are not a bunch of aviation enthousiast that want to see every project succeed, they have to check that companies operate in accordance with all applicable legislation)

If you say you don't want to start a debate Flanders vs Wallonia, then just don't do it. Is it really that hard?!
Last edited by DeltaWiskey on 12 Mar 2018, 21:07, edited 1 time in total.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Passenger wrote: 12 Mar 2018, 19:47 Belgium's State Gazette (Belgisch Staatsblad - Moniteur belge) 09th March 2018:
http://www.ejustice.just.fgov.be/tsv_pd ... 043415.pdf
With the SIRW now investing in Air Belgium via Sparaxis, it's almost impossible for AB to move operations to BRU. But at the same time, AB will profit from business lounges at CRL at a minimum cost. And a free runway extension of course.
http://www.actionnariatwallon.be/organi ... axis-19172

And for those who don't know who the new administrator Mikko Rautio is: google him with "Finnair China"...

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Passenger wrote: 12 Mar 2018, 22:17 With the SIRW now investing in Air Belgium via Sparaxis, it's almost impossible for AB to move operations to BRU.
Why not? SRIW also invested in SN Brussels Airlines (or rather in SN Airholding), operating exclusively out of BRU in Belgium.
André
ex Sabena #26567