Brussels Airlines' monthly traffic figures

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

luchtzak

Re: Brussels Airlines' monthly traffic figures

Post by luchtzak »

In January 2018 Brussels Airport welcomed 1.6 million passengers (+5.7%): that's a new January record for the airport.

https://www.aviation24.be/airports/bruss ... f-january/

Brussels Airlines welcomed 590,329 passengers, 15% more than January 2017

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/lufth ... wth-of-15/

I am terrible in maths, I will leave the honour to the wizards ;-)

DannyVDB

Post by DannyVDB »

36.4%?

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Quite solid growth numbers, especially for such a weak season!

A pity the transatlantic routes didn't follow the general growth trend, but other than that, there's not much negative you can say about these operational figures really, although they seem to admit yield is not where they'd like it to be, which interestingly enough also seems to be the main concern shareholder Lufthansa has, hence their desire to make maximum use of group synergies to further lower overhead costs and thus increase profitability of their Belgian branch, ultimately leading them to change the management team as the previous one was holding on quite strongly to a standalone scenario with only financial backing from Lufthansa whenever needed, rather than also making use of full operational and commercial cooperation.

If they start doing that indeed, I think growth can further accelerate even, especially in markets where they are an almost irrelevant en totally unknown player, like North America and indeed, India: like I've said before, who cares what name the ticket is sold under and the plane to Brussels is filled?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

DannyVDB wrote: 09 Feb 2018, 16:3836.4%?
The market share of SN at BRU in Jan is indeed 36.4%.

This comes as a surprise, if one considers that SN had a 38% market share in 2017. Indeed, SN increased by 15% in January, BRU only by 5.7%. The market share of SN should thus have increased compared to 2017.

But my logic might be wrong and I should only consider the market share in Jan 2018 compared to Jan 2017, and not to the whole of 2017.
André
ex Sabena #26567

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

sn26567 wrote: 10 Feb 2018, 00:10
DannyVDB wrote: 09 Feb 2018, 16:3836.4%?
The market share of SN at BRU in Jan is indeed 36.4%.

This comes as a surprise, if one considers that SN had a 38% market share in 2017. Indeed, SN increased by 15% in January, BRU only by 5.7%. The market share of SN should thus have increased compared to 2017.

But my logic might be wrong and I should only consider the market share in Jan 2018 compared to Jan 2017, and not to the whole of 2017.
Given the seasonality of aviation and tourism, of course we can't compare a month of operation with the whole previous year it's not logical as the load factor hasn't be the same through the year.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

The market share of SN grew by about 3pct points from 33.5% in January 2017 to 36.4% in January 2018. These shares can highly vary per month and over the course of the year so indeed best to compare equal periods.

Btw, with 9.077mio pax for SN on 24.784mio, SN's market share (excluding charter pax) was 36.6% overall in 2017.

DeltaWiskey

Post by DeltaWiskey »

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/lufth ... -february/
https://press.brusselsairlines.com/165- ... n-february

there seems to be an error in it though. If I calculate Cargo RTK/ATK, LF seems to be 76.9% (one year ago: 72.2%), or an increase of 4.7% pts.

In general very solid numbers if you ask me.

convair

Post by convair »

DeltaWiskey wrote: 09 Mar 2018, 14:38 https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/lufth ... -february/

there seems to be an error in it though. If I calculate Cargo RTK/ATK, LF seems to be 76.9% (one year ago: 72.2%), or an increase of 4.7% pts.

You're right. Not unusual; maths is not the department's strong field. ;)

This being said, a very good result indeed!

JustPlanes

Post by JustPlanes »

LH baby LX had no growth last month while SN did 16.5%!
Congrats to SN and wake up LH and invest some money in SN, don't get all new planes for LX and only second hand for SN ; don't just expand intercontinental routes for LX, expand them for SN as well. BRU has big potential being in the center of Europe, possibility to expand the airport etc...I know I'm talking to a wall but whatever... they prefer to focus on expand Eurowings so much that its bound to crack one day!

convair

Post by convair »

convair wrote: 09 Mar 2018, 17:44
DeltaWiskey wrote: 09 Mar 2018, 14:38 https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/lufth ... -february/

You're right. Not unusual; maths is not the department's strong field. ;)

This being said, a very good result indeed!
There seems to be something weird about the way they report cargo LF; their comment is not consistent with the figures they give: RTK increased more than ATK (28.6% vs 20.7%), yet they say "the freight VOLUMES transported" grew by 35% (!!!) but "the cargo capacity however, grew faster".

I checked a couple of other cargo LF and their figures don't exactly match the RTK/ATK ratio either.
This means that they could be taking into account other parameters such as VOLUME: the available capacity is different if you carry steel or flowers. ;)

Maybe an expert could shed some light on this and put an end to my unbearable anxiety. :lol:

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Brussels Airport received more than 1.6 million travellers in February 2018, an increase of 5.4% compared to the same month the previous year and a continuation of the growth in the last months of 2017. Cargo traffic at Brussels Airport has also increased. Indeed, flown and trucked cargo grew by 0.8% against the same month last year.

https://www.aviation24.be/airports/bruss ... assengers/

Please calculate market share ;-)

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

luchtzak wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 13:42 Brussels Airport received more than 1.6 million travellers in February 2018, an increase of 5.4% compared to the same month the previous year and a continuation of the growth in the last months of 2017. Cargo traffic at Brussels Airport has also increased. Indeed, flown and trucked cargo grew by 0.8% against the same month last year.

https://www.aviation24.be/airports/bruss ... assengers/

Please calculate market share ;-)
Surely you are just pretending not to be able to do this yourself, aren't you? ;)

Market share for FEB18 stood at 38.6%.

What is most remarkable however is not so much the growth of their market share vs last year, but versus last month: + 2,2% of growth in one month?! Anybody who has a good explanation for this sudden upswing?
Competitors massively axing extra flights in FEB, whereas they had operated them in JAN?
The start up of further additional routes and frequencies by Brussels Airlines in FEB?
Any other sudden phenomenon?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Inquirer wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 14:45 Market share for FEB18 stood at 38.6%.

What is most remarkable however is not so much the growth of their market share vs last year, but versus last month: + 2,2% of growth in one month?! Anybody who has a good explanation for this sudden upswing?
Competitors massively axing extra flights in FEB, whereas they had operated them in JAN?
The start up of further additional routes and frequencies by Brussels Airlines in FEB?
Any other sudden phenomenon?
Market share month by month is not really representative. From a statistical point of view, it would be much better to show the market share based on a 12-month rolling average, but few airlines and airports publish this figure. Wizz Air does, but I don't know other examples.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

This website contains all the quantitive data to do so; maybe something to consider doing?

Anyway: the trend is obvious and quite positive: it's significantly upwards.

convair

Post by convair »

I assume SN figures for March 2018 will soon appear in this thread. Fyi, SN share at BRU was 39.7%. :)

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

convair wrote: 11 Apr 2018, 19:40 I assume SN figures for March 2018 will soon appear in this thread. Fyi, SN share at BRU was 39.7%. :)
Brussels Airlines welcomed 13.4% more passengers in March and increases its market share at BRU

brusselsairlinesfan

Post by brusselsairlinesfan »

brussels Airlines market share @ Brussels Airport does reach 40% now (if I am not mistaken)!
Next step : 50% market share!

DannyVDB

Post by DannyVDB »

39,7% :D

brusselsairlinesfan

Post by brusselsairlinesfan »

DannyVDB wrote: 12 Apr 2018, 08:4839,7% :D
Once again, congrats to all SN staff... and warm salute to M. Bernard GUSTIN who just left, for its great job as CEO !
Compared to their market share at the begining of SN Brussels Airlines back in 2002 after SABENA demise, this is definitely what we can call a great success.
Don’t forget that they succeed against FR, U2 and VY major threats at BRU!
Btw, they will soon beat the SABENA figures (at least...). I can’t remember the PAX flown figures in 2000 however...

convair

Post by convair »

For May, y/y increase of pax was 5.3%. Despite ASK higher by 3.9%, RPK rose by 9.1%, resulting in a pax lf of 80.3%.
Due to 2 days of strike, SN share at BRU retreated to 39%.