Brussels Airlines in 2018

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

JustPlanes

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2018

Post by JustPlanes »

Av24.be wrote: 07 Feb 2018, 09:00 Eurowings CEO Thorsten Dirks wants Brussels Airlines to become a Long Haul Center of Excellence

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/lufth ... xcellence/

in Brussels or in Dusseldorf???
They want SN expertise because they are adding 140 long haul flights at DUS
Because SN is the long haul expert.... I guess LH isn't :)

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

So, basically it means that Brussels Airlines will get eventually a bunch of long haul planes on the Belgian register and the Belgian AOC but all painted in the EW colours. This way they can eliminate all other external leases and use the EW AOC for a short haul fleet.

But I still haven't read anything about keeping Brussels Airlines itself. It's one thing to keep a Belgian company named a certain way but it's an all other thing keeping the brand itself.

FLYAIR10

Post by FLYAIR10 »

Av24.be wrote: ↑
07 Feb 2018, 09:00
Eurowings CEO Thorsten Dirks wants Brussels Airlines to become a Long Haul Center of Excellence

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/lufth ... xcellence/

in Brussels or in Dusseldorf???
They want SN expertise because they are adding 140 long haul flights at DUS
Because SN is the long haul expert.... I guess LH isn't
I'm not an accountant nor tax-expert ,but after the recent tax-reforms (reduced taxrates for companies) in Belgium,would it not be more interesting to have the revenue of long-haul operations to be mainly generated in Belgium then? (From that perspective)
When considering from where to serve some new destinations ,IMHO the 'Eurowings-group'
should also consider the tax-impact on their consolidated earnings.It's only a part of the equation in new routing selection,but nevertheless might shift the balance in favour of BRU... or not?

Not Real

Post by Not Real »

Ok, so, they had to fire Gustin to say that they don't have bigger plans for SN right now as they are busy with the herency of AirBerlin? Ok...

ezis_bis

Post by ezis_bis »

travellover wrote: 07 Feb 2018, 10:05 Long Haul Center of Excellence will be based in Brussels.
But what does that mean?
Could still mean it is the HQ of a company flying out of Dusseldorf

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

At VRT De Redactie:

https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/nl/2018/02/07 ... behouden-/

- Brussels Airlines will perform the longhaul flighs of EW, rapid expansion of DUS
- Less night stops (for which a compensation will be found)
- No "Germanisation" of Brussels Airlines, Brussels Airlines remains Belgian (though no real commitment about the brand)
- Brussels Airlines remains part of Star Alliance (guess Star Alliance pushed for that one)

So not much news...

travellover

Post by travellover »

A company focussing on Africa from BRU and mainly on the USA from DUS?
Cheers

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

ezis_bis wrote: 07 Feb 2018, 10:11 But what does that mean?
Could still mean it is the HQ of a company flying out of Dusseldorf
Well, currently EW doesn't fly long haul, they subcontract it to other companies who fly on behalf of EW. This will change in the future by letting SN operate all long haul flights for EW instead, this way the money remains in the group rather than spending it outside the group.

Eventually it could mean that we see OO- registered long haul planes from multiple locations throughout Europe, just like other airlines do it already with short haul (Easyjet, Ryanair,.. all operated planes registered outside of the country they operate from) and even long haul (Norwegian comes to mind).

I guess the Brussels Airlines brand will be kept for Belgium, maybe even indefinitely (or at least for the next 4 to 5 years, remember there's still a new logojet on the horizon) for all kinds of operations, long, mid, short haul but they'll also be marketed as EW flights (slap another codeshare on each flight). This will keep Belgium and Star Alliance happy and yet integrates SN into EW.

Not quite sure yet how they'll handle Africa expansions from outside of Belgium if they want to do so under EW, will they be marketed as SN flights rather than EW flights or are they going to gamble and hope that the EW brand will stick? I guess time will tell.

But what's not quite clear is how many backoffice jobs will be moved.

Not Real

Post by Not Real »

Bralo20 wrote: 07 Feb 2018, 10:16 At VRT De Redactie:

https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/nl/2018/02/07 ... behouden-/

- Brussels Airlines will perform the longhaul flighs of EW, rapid expansion of DUS
- Less night stops (for which a compensation will be found)
- No "Germanisation" of Brussels Airlines, Brussels Airlines remains Belgian (though no real commitment about the brand)
- Brussels Airlines remains part of Star Alliance (guess Star Alliance pushed for that one)

So not much news...
Does Star Alliance really need to ask any company to be its member? I'm afraid it works different, the company has to do its best to be able to become a member and as Eurowings is not a member of this alliance it is obvious they will do everything to keep SN as a member of Star Alliance. That way they can hope they will become Star Alliance member as well.

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

Not Real wrote: 07 Feb 2018, 10:29 Does Star Alliance really need to ask any company to be its member? I'm afraid it works different, the company has to do its best to be able to become a member and as Eurowings is not a member of this alliance it is obvious they will do everything to keep SN as a member of Star Alliance. That way they can hope they will become Star Alliance member as well.
Of course not, but I didn't wrote that *A "asked" that SN remains a member, I wrote that *A probably pushed Lufthansa a bit to keep SN as a *A member since they know that SN has a value to *A (mostly in the Africa region).

Not sure if Eurowings will become a *A member in the future, afaik there isn't a LCC member of any alliance yet (but things can change, maybe EW will become an example of that).

What I'm curious about is if the SN flights outside of Belgium will also be marketed as SN flights thus being able to have the *A benefits for those flights as well.

Boeing767copilot

Post by Boeing767copilot »

Bralo20 wrote: 07 Feb 2018, 10:39
Not Real wrote: 07 Feb 2018, 10:29 Does Star Alliance really need to ask any company to be its member? I'm afraid it works different, the company has to do its best to be able to become a member and as Eurowings is not a member of this alliance it is obvious they will do everything to keep SN as a member of Star Alliance. That way they can hope they will become Star Alliance member as well.
Of course not, but I didn't wrote that *A "asked" that SN remains a member, I wrote that *A probably pushed Lufthansa a bit to keep SN as a *A member since they know that SN has a value to *A (mostly in the Africa region).

Not sure if Eurowings will become a *A member in the future, afaik there isn't a LCC member of any alliance yet (but things can change, maybe EW will become an example of that).

What I'm curious about is if the SN flights outside of Belgium will also be marketed as SN flights thus being able to have the *A benefits for those flights as well.

SINGAPORE — Star Alliance, the global partnership of airlines ranging from Singapore Airlines to United Continental Holdings, is looking to include low-cost units of its members as partners as more and more people flock to budget carriers lured by cheaper fares.

https://www.todayonline.com/star-allian ... s-partners

:)

Not Real

Post by Not Real »

Ayayay

Did he say something about wet-lease contracts? Will they stop them, continue or no idea yet?

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

Guess I missed that one :mrgreen:

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

Ok, let's dare to be optimistic for once:

It looks like Brussels Airlines will become a more long-haul airline, with (probably) a new brandname with a 'Belgian touch', while - I guess - many European flights will be done by Eurowings.

About the name: as they still don't say they will keep the Brussels Airlines brand, it looks like they really want a name change. Maybe its good to have an outsiders perspective here: while for us Brussels Airlines is a known brand, it apparently isn't for lots of people outside Belgium. We need to accept this.

Like I said before, a new (more recognisable) name with a 'Belgian touch' can only be one: Sabena. 8-)

ZavCity

Post by ZavCity »

Eurowings Belgium sounds good!
paul

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

^^ No, it does not.

JustPlanes

Post by JustPlanes »

Bruhansa
Eurobrussels
Belgiumwings
Sabena
but keep the SN colors pleassssseeeeee... the LH and EW liveries look like they've been designed in a funeral parlor and a sausage company! hahaha

travellover

Post by travellover »

Belgian touch will be kept.
So maybe more belgian icons will follow ? Why not on an A330 ?
Cheers

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

This morning, Lufthansa and Eurowings didn't tell the Ondernemingsraad/Conseil d'Entreprise what their real plans are. And Eurowings-CEO Dirks dind't give too much details to the united staff neither. The Germans have an expression for that necessary silence: "Freund hört mitt". Translated from that expression: within 15 minutes, our competitors know our plans because 1% of the people present here will send sms'es to the press, and the journo's will put it online immediately. Hence: sorry for the 99% others, but I can't explain how we will realize our plans.

So all that Amsterdam, Dublin, London and Paris know for sure now, is that Brussels Airlines will become the groups' "long haul experience center". Good luck to them to translate that to their sales departments and yield managers...