Brussels Airlines in 2018

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Passenger

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2018

Post by Passenger »

Deejay wrote: 06 Feb 2018, 16:05 As a customer, I do not believe in the so called "hybrid" model = normal price, but low service.
Actually, "Brussels Airlines is a hybrid airline" means they combine the possibility for low cost fares for their short haul flights (= to compete against Ryanair and other low-cost-only carriers) with normal fares for their long haul flights (India, Africa) and for non-competing routes.

Homo Aeroportus

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

Actually hybrid model in short haul, no?

You can buy a ticket for full service in the front cabin and backpackers find what they look for in the back of the cabin.
Isn't this mix, on the same flight, what is referred to as hybrid?

H.A.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Homo Aeroportus wrote: 06 Feb 2018, 16:27 Actually hybrid model in short haul, no?
You can buy a ticket for full service in the front cabin and backpackers find what they look for in the back of the cabin.
Isn't this mix, on the same flight, what is referred to as hybrid?
Yes, but when you talk about "hybrid" as airline concept, you have to include long haul too.

b720

Post by b720 »

SN is already An LCC on the short haul sector.
They have have recently eliminated dedicated catering for C class pax.
They are given the menu card of Lite service instead and offered to choose (without paying).

evyncke

Post by evyncke »

Deejay wrote: 06 Feb 2018, 16:05 Have the people at LH said that there is no place for a belgian based premium carrier, and why can they operate premium carriers in ZRH and VIE, and not possible in the capital of the EU, strange, no ?
Beside the language shared by LH, OS and LX (and possibly mentality and having more than 1 SN domestic airport), this is indeed an obvious question which really puzzles me...

What about Star Alliance ?
And now talking as a Star Alliance Gold (on UA), I really wonder whether Eurowings/Belgium will keep the Gold benefits: miles, lounge access, priority boarding, fast lane, ... this is really important when you travel a lot... And, my experience with Eurowings has been very negative on the above points :-(

Stij

Post by Stij »

Deejay wrote: 06 Feb 2018, 16:05 hello
i am new here, and do not have any professional experience in the airline business. so, sorry if I ask silly questions ....
nevertheless, i am an airline customer, and FTL with M&M...
i acquired this status mainly with LX and OS, and I must tell you that if I have the choice between one of these two and SN, i do not hesitate, I take the first choice.
As a customer, I do not believe in the so called "hybrid" model = normal price, but low service
Why can't SN evolve to something like the two other cousins; and have the low cost side of the hybrid model evolve to EW ?
Have the people at LH said that there is no place for a belgian based premium carrier, and why can they operate premium carriers in ZRH and VIE, and not possible in the capital of the EU, strange, no ?
Welcome to our forum Deejay!!!
I must admit I kind of share your opinion: SN sometimes asks 280€ for a round trip in check and go... as you wrote... normal price... low service...

Stij

FLYAIR10

Post by FLYAIR10 »

What about Eurowings and CARGO ? at first sight I didn't find any trace of Cargo-operations on the Eurowings website...
Are all the EW-flights open for carrying cargo ?
And is the belly space marketed by LH maybe?

If I remember well SN is getting an important part of its revenue from Freight,especially in the Africa operation.
What would be the future for SN 'cargo' in an Eurowings context?

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

FLYAIR10 wrote: 06 Feb 2018, 17:24 What about Eurowings and CARGO ? at first sight I didn't find any trace of Cargo-operations on the Eurowings website...
Are all the EW-flights open for carrying cargo ?
And is the belly space marketed by LH maybe?

If I remember well SN is getting an important part of its revenue from Freight,especially in the Africa operation.
What would be the future for SN 'cargo' in an Eurowings context?
Lufthansa Cargo:

https://lufthansa-cargo.com/-/lufthansa ... -to-market

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

These are my conclusions from last weekend and Monday:

1. total madness from the trade unions, who must have known what was on table, but yet tried to put the house on fire. Only excuse for their stupid behaviour: they wanted to overclass each other.

2. total failure of the main stream media, who believed every single word that the unions told them and who failed with the basic principle of journalism: double check your sources.

3. regarding this forum and this topic: three glory days for a handfull of Brussels Airlines haters, however ending with a unbelievable disappointment for them on Monday evening.

3. what a relief that our travel & aviation journalists countered the unions and the main stream media.

4. Employment in Belgian aviation was saved, once again, by one very senior citizen: 85-year old Etienne Davignon.

RTM

Post by RTM »

Maybe wait with jumping to conclusions till tomorrow...

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

RTM wrote: 06 Feb 2018, 18:57 Maybe wait with jumping to conclusions till tomorrow...
Maybe wait for a year or 2 ;)

PS: Its very easy to call people “haters” when they haven’t got the same opinion as you. There’s a wavy haired chicken filet in the USA who uses the same calimero tactic

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

RTM wrote: 06 Feb 2018, 18:57 Maybe wait with jumping to conclusions till tomorrow...
That's just going to be another one of those trade unions shows. Eurowings is not going to disclose their short term and/or their long term business plan.

Tomorrow is an Ondernemingsraad/Conseil d'Entreprise. Een veredelde koffiebreak. Union delegates ask some questions, and management/ownership allways reply with "we don't know" - "we don't know yet" - "we cannot disclose the details" - "this question goes beyond the agenda from this meeting". And immediately after the meeting, the trade union delegates rush to the tv-cameras, to say that they are very disappiointed with / angry about the refusal from the CEO to give straight answers. So they will consider a strike.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

The extraordinary works council is at 0800, but at 0900 Thorsten Dirks will talk to all the employees. That should be the important meeting.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Passenger wrote: 06 Feb 2018, 18:38 These are my conclusions from last weekend and Monday:

1. total madness from the trade unions, who must have known what was on table, but yet tried to put the house on fire. Only excuse for their stupid behaviour: they wanted to overclass each other.

2. total failure of the main stream media, who believed every single word that the unions told them and who failed with the basic principle of journalism: double check your sources.

3. regarding this forum and this topic: three glory days for a handfull of Brussels Airlines haters, however ending with a unbelievable disappointment for them on Monday evening.

3. what a relief that our travel & aviation journalists countered the unions and the main stream media.

4. Employment in Belgian aviation was saved, once again, by one very senior citizen: 85-year old Etienne Davignon.
Who are those haters, exactly?

I like SN and I want it to prosper.

Not Real

Post by Not Real »

Ansett wrote: 06 Feb 2018, 16:19
Poiu wrote: 06 Feb 2018, 15:48
Ansett wrote: 06 Feb 2018, 15:30
The fifty or so Belgian captains of industry who signed a letter of support for Gustin and De Raeymakers should have put money on the table when it was necessary to keep SN Belgian, but nobody was prepared to take the smallest financial risk except LH. They own SN now. It's their property. They can do as they like (even if we don't like it).
They didn’t sign a letter of support for Gustin and De Raeymaker, they signed a letter to support a strong airline with a base in Brussels.
You are right, Poiu. My mistake. However, it does not change anything to the heart ot the matter : where were these captains of Belgian industry, especially the heavy-weights, when SN needed investment to keep SN Belgian or to keep a majority vote in the Board ?
As I know Lufthansa was already owner of some % of Brussels Airlines and they have priority to buy the rest before anyone... :cry:

Klausenburg

Post by Klausenburg »

Maybe VLM and Air Belgium will get investment and trust and will become the new "flag carriers"... Two instead of one... Brussels Airlines will be just a wing of Lufthansa with no character...

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Klausenburg wrote: 06 Feb 2018, 23:26 Maybe VLM and Air Belgium will get investment and trust and will become the new "flag carriers"... Two instead of one... Brussels Airlines will be just a wing of Lufthansa with no character...
The capital of all Belgian airlines is now foreign-owned. But some of them have more independence from their shareholders than others. TUI fly Belgium, for example, does what it wants concerning new routes, even if it has to follow group directives for its purchases of aeroplanes (except perhaps for the smaller E190).
André
ex Sabena #26567

JustPlanes

Post by JustPlanes »

There is a good potential at BRU Airport if its operated properly... LH has every interest in using it and expanding the hub as they can take business away from KL in AMS and AF in PAR. There is room for routes from BRU to a number of cities in North America for example that will not hurt their business in FRA/MUC so unless they've very patriotic and only want to expand the German airports they will expand their entire group in a better way by expanding the BRU hub... not to mention they will piss off many Belgians if they take their airline away and those people will avoid LH/EW whenever they can... so don't be selfish and expand SN just like you're expanding LX and for God's sake order the Belgian airline some new metal... send the old stuff over to EW for low cost ;)

Boeing767copilot

Post by Boeing767copilot »

Passenger wrote: 06 Feb 2018, 18:38 These are my conclusions from last weekend and Monday:

I fully agree with this. A very bad show from the unions and some media. Like this morning on VRT NWS/Deredactie https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/nl/2018/02/06 ... -bedaren-/
Always terrify people. Unbelievable what this guy and self-proclaimed aviation journalist shakes out of his sleeve the last days. :( :shock:

Av24.be

Post by Av24.be »

Eurowings CEO Thorsten Dirks wants Brussels Airlines to become a Long Haul Center of Excellence

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/lufth ... xcellence/