Brussels Airlines in 2018

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Didymus

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2018

Post by Didymus »

De Tijd reports that the Lufthansa board intends to replace Brussels Airlines CEO Bernard Gustin because of he opposes the introduction of a pure low cost model and the integration of SN into Eurowings.

source: https://www.tijd.be/ondernemen/luchtvaa ... es/9978243 (paywall and in Dutch)

In English: https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/lufth ... t-the-top/

DeltaWiskey

Post by DeltaWiskey »

From what I inderstand, the main reasons the pilots are ‘striking’ are pensions, tcab integration, unclarity about the DUS project and crew meals (and lack of willingness from management to solve these issues quickly).
I don’t really get the whole point about pensions, we are not in the Sabena-era any more where pilots were treated differently than everyone else. The government changed the rules a few years ago, but I don’t see how this can or should be solved by SN.

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

Didymus wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 07:34 De Tijd reports that the Lufthansa board intends to replace Brussels Airlines CEO Bernard Gustin because of he opposes the introduction of a pure low cost model and the integration of SN into Eurowings.

source: https://www.tijd.be/ondernemen/luchtvaa ... es/9978243 (paywall and in Dutch)
Indeed, Gustin suggested in a board meeting in November to introduce the hybrid business, he wants to move Eurowings towards it but he was cut of by Carsten Spohr who doesn't want to know about it.

Monday in the next board meeting the issue will be presented again and there's a chance that Brussels Airlines has to adapt the LCC model of Eurowings and that Gustin will be fired because he doesn't want SN to become EW.

One thing is positive though, it's nice to see that Gustin is fighting for SN but I doubt it will be successful since the Germans can now decide everything without having to take the Belgian ideas into consideration.

So it could become a sad day for SN next week...

Yuqu12

Post by Yuqu12 »

Indeed nice to see Gustin fight, but as we all know Spohr does everything to make EW succeed. If this has to be by firing someone, he won't care... If Gustin will bee fired (and probably a German replacement will come), it will not take long before the brand SN will be gone.

airbuske

Post by airbuske »

For me EW is moving more towards SN with the introduction of C class on EW longhaul,Not pure P2P model, not the lowest prices,...
So why don't Carsten want the hybrid model of SN?
Best regards,

Airbuske

ezis_bis

Post by ezis_bis »

airbuske wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 09:11 So why don't Carsten want the hybrid model of SN?
I don't see the advantage of SN becoming EW
What about;
- *A
- Transatlantic JV
- Africa flights?
- Routes now operated by bmi/CityJet

If it means just a name change and all stays the same, it's no big deal
If they drop all of the above, it would be quite a loss and I wonder what for...

Didymus

Post by Didymus »

I guess Spohr has been mainly looking at the competition: which European full service airline groups have not yet launched a low cost, low service subsidiary?

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

airbuske wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 09:11 So why don't Carsten want the hybrid model of SN?
One simple answer, it wasn't his idea, it wasn't part of his pet project... It's basically his way or the high way it seems.

travellover

Post by travellover »

RoMax wrote: 10 Jan 2018, 21:39
airbuske wrote: 10 Jan 2018, 20:42
Duke wrote: 10 Jan 2018, 20:27

In the same article, Bernard Gustin mentions "new aircraft interiors, with better seats.."(sorry, I don't remember the exact wordings, I just read the article quickly).
Does this mean the "new" (ex SQ and CX) A330's will have a completely new aircraft interior, different from the actual seats in the A330's?
Regards,

Duke
Yes , the A330 will have a complete new interior.
Indeed, the introduction of the all new cabin (new seats and design in all classes and the introduction of a real Premium Economy class) will kick-off at the end of 2018. Although there will not be many to get the interior this year, 2019 will be the exciting year on that level ;)
What about Check&Go, Light&Relax, Flex&Fast
and Biz&Class ?
Does EW get the same real Premium Economy Class on their A330/A340 ?
Cheers

DeltaWiskey

Post by DeltaWiskey »

Both EW and SN will get a true C/Y+/Y lay out.

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

DeltaWiskey wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 11:19 Both EW and SN will get a true C/Y+/Y lay out.
For Long haul, but what about Short/medium haul?

DeltaWiskey

Post by DeltaWiskey »

The short haul hard product will not change within the next couple of years. It is possible (I would even dare to say : very likely) that the concept / soft product will change within the next 2-3 years, but that is still being studied.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Bralo20 wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 10:08
One simple answer, it wasn't his idea, it wasn't part of his pet project... It's basically his way or the high way it seems.
I think the issue is not so much the strategy, but who can execute it and claim credit for it in future.

As has been mentioned before, Eurowings has morphed into a de factor hybrid airline very similar to Brussels Airlines over the past year or so, but it absolutely may not be called such for some weird reason; meanwhile the management team in BRU engaged in a fight to save predominantly their own job, knowing a full back office and overhead integration would likely make a lot of sense given the extreme similarity of the 2 airlines as of today and the expected cost saving that can be generated from it.

It might be high time for somebody with a fresh look on the future to step in and take over, because clearly both sides have historic reasons not to be able to go for what makes most sense?

b.lufthansa

Post by b.lufthansa »

Lalibre.be: Lufthansa veut virer les deux patrons belges de Brussels Airlines Bernard Gustin et Jan de Raeymaeker.

Google translate: Lufthansa wants to fire the two Belgian bosses of Brussels Airlines Bernard Gustin and Jan de Raeymaeker.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

b.lufthansa wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 15:02 Lalibre.be: Lufthansa veut virer les deux patrons belges de Brussels Airlines Bernard Gustin et Jan de Raeymaeker.

Google translate: Lufthansa wants to fire the two Belgian bosses of Brussels Airlines Bernard Gustin and Jan de Raeymaeker.
Our article has been adapted to take these new elements into account.

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/lufth ... t-the-top/
André
ex Sabena #26567

Bel33

Post by Bel33 »

The exact title is: The 2 Belgian Directors (CEO and CFO) have received a letter of dismissal! That means Bernard Gustin is no longer CEO and... part of SN! It's shocking!
Again our poor country seems to be ridiculous...
Low Country... Low cost Airlines....
I am really disappointed... :(

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Maybe I should merge this thread into "Eurowings in 2018" ? :(
André
ex Sabena #26567

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

Looks like the worst case scenario is becoming reality: LH is simply gonna kill Brussels Airlines, the national carrier of Belgium. It's nothing less than a scandal.

I really hope that the Belgian population will BOYCOT Eurowings as much as possible: why should Belgians fly with a lousy low cost company with no identity that has killed 'our' SN ? In that case, I'll fly with Ryanair, Easyjet or Vueling!

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

teach

Post by teach »

Boavida wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 16:06 Looks like the worst case scenario is becoming reality: LH is simply gonna kill Brussels Airlines, the national carrier of Belgium. It's nothing less than a scandal.

I really hope that the Belgian population will BOYCOT Eurowings as much as possible: why should Belgians fly with a lousy low cost company with no identity that has killed 'our' SN ? In that case, I'll fly with Ryanair, Easyjet or Vueling!

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Yes, let's wildly exaggerate and jump to conclusions. That always works.

FLYAIR10

Post by FLYAIR10 »

Please also consider flying VLM and Air Belgium instead and have them grow their marketshare on the BE-NL market. e.g. when going to Zurich, you could maybe go for booking VLM from Anwerp .MUCH cheaper than with the LH-group! (200-300 EUR with VLM vs +1000 Eur for a return ticket with LH-group!)

Let's allow VLM and Air Belgium (+ TUIfly-B) to grow and have them start to build a ounterweight to the LH monopoly on some routes.