TUI fly Belgium in 2017

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

cirrus

Re: TUI fly Belgium in 2017

Post by cirrus »

Such a shame to wet lease planes from such companies. First of all for the belgian crews, then for the customers who think they are going to fly in a Tui plane when they buy their ticket... Not even mentioning their pilots whose English really s....

skumfiduse

Post by skumfiduse »

cirrus wrote: 01 Mar 2017, 19:15 Such a shame to wet lease planes from such companies. First of all for the belgian crews, then for the customers who think they are going to fly in a Tui plane when they buy their ticket... Not even mentioning their pilots whose English really s....
Oh well, I think TUI fly made a wise decision. They're probably short of capacity for the summer months. By adding those four additional planes, they can meet the increased demand of customers.

Do you have access to the contract details? TUI fly could possibly have negotiated to have partly TUI fly cabin crew on board. Who knows?

Oh and by the way, Brussels Airlines does exactly the same with bmi regional jets and previously with the odd German Avro RJ.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

skumfiduse wrote: 01 Mar 2017, 20:52 Do you have access to the contract details? TUI fly could possibly have negotiated to have partly TUI fly cabin crew on board. Who knows?
Even with wet leases, there is always one TUI cabin crew on board (announcements in French and Dutch, answers to questions of passengers in French and Dutch, etc.)
André
ex Sabena #26567

skumfiduse

Post by skumfiduse »

sn26567 wrote: 01 Mar 2017, 23:48
skumfiduse wrote: 01 Mar 2017, 20:52 Do you have access to the contract details? TUI fly could possibly have negotiated to have partly TUI fly cabin crew on board. Who knows?
Even with wet leases, there is always one TUI cabin crew on board (announcements in French and Dutch, answers to questions of passengers in French and Dutch, etc.)
Thanks André. That's exactly what I was thinking of.

Sai

Post by Sai »

According to this article (Dutch) the new 737 MAX of TUI fly will have no inflight screens anymore as opposed to their current fleet. :shock:
As an aviation enthusiast I really liked to fly them because they had inflight screens on (almost) all their flights, not so for movies, but most of all for the moving map and inflight info. I personally believe many passengers love this and I’d hate to see it go…
Some airlines I flew with have an app for your personal device with a moving map via On Board Wi-fi…
so my question as there is no further specific info in the article and maybe someone on the forum has some info:

Will there be Wi-Fi on board and possibilities to charge your device and/or some kind of inflight entertainment on their 737MAX?

Would be a pitty to see the newest multi-million dollar Boeing planes without any IFE imo

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

sn26567 wrote: 01 Mar 2017, 11:18 TUI fly to resume Tunisia flights

Just like Thomas Cook Airlines Belgium, TUI fly (Belgium) has also announced it will resume flights to Tunisia next summer, but hasn't set a firm date for launch.
Today TUI announced it would resume flights to Enfidha, Tunisia on 31 March.
André
ex Sabena #26567

skumfiduse

Post by skumfiduse »

Sai wrote: 02 Mar 2017, 00:33 According to this article (Dutch) the new 737 MAX of TUI fly will have no inflight screens anymore as opposed to their current fleet. :shock:
As an aviation enthusiast I really liked to fly them because they had inflight screens on (almost) all their flights, not so for movies, but most of all for the moving map and inflight info. I personally believe many passengers love this and I’d hate to see it go…
Some airlines I flew with have an app for your personal device with a moving map via On Board Wi-fi…
so my question as there is no further specific info in the article and maybe someone on the forum has some info:

Will there be Wi-Fi on board and possibilities to charge your device and/or some kind of inflight entertainment on their 737MAX?

Would be a pitty to see the newest multi-million dollar Boeing planes without any IFE imo
A sign of the times. Inflight entertainment systems are expensive all the way: installation, configuration, maintenance, weight etc. Why invest money in this old technology when you can make passengers/guests happy with (free) wifi or a mobile site which is as good as an inflight entertainment system?

Airlines can make money by renting tablets, smartphones and selling power banks, cables, headphones etc.

Rest assured you'll still be able to access flight info ;)

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

skumfiduse wrote: 02 Mar 2017, 15:47
Sai wrote: 02 Mar 2017, 00:33 According to this article (Dutch) the new 737 MAX of TUI fly will have no inflight screens anymore as opposed to their current fleet. :shock:

A sign of the times. Inflight entertainment systems are expensive all the way: installation, configuration, maintenance, weight etc. Why invest money in this old technology when you can make passengers/guests happy with (free) wifi or a mobile site which is as good as an inflight entertainment system?

Airlines can make money by renting tablets, smartphones and selling power banks, cables, headphones etc.

Rest assured you'll still be able to access flight info ;)
with the difference then that holiday airlines also carry a lot of people (like my grandparents for example) who have never seen a tablet/smartphone from up close. It's a pity that for some people of the older generation this service is disappearing

teddybAIR

Post by teddybAIR »

As a commercial company, the trick is to keep the service people are willing to pay for. If someone tells you it's a pitty to see a part of the service disappearing, the logical question is how much more they are willing to pay for that service. Unfortunately, the answer is often 0€.

I for example would like an Aston Martin. Unfortunately, I don't have the willingness to pay - nor the capacity by the way ;) - to purchase one.

Stij

Post by Stij »

If they compensate with wifi and online content fine... and if the EU network carriers would learn from Delta, we could have acces to their website, including gate and delay information. If your flight is delayed and you re going to miss your connection, you can even rebook yourself. Saves a lot of time and frustration.

Stij

Ozzie1969
Location: Brugge, Flanders + Annan, Scotland + Ormoc,Philippines

Post by Ozzie1969 »

sean1982 wrote: 03 Mar 2017, 12:29with the difference then that holiday airlines also carry a lot of people (like my grandparents for example) who have never seen a tablet/smartphone from up close. It's a pity that for some people of the older generation this service is disappearing
My guess is that your grandparents can survive without tablet/smartphone for the duration of a flight. They won't miss what they've never had.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Ozzie1969 wrote: 03 Mar 2017, 20:45
sean1982 wrote: 03 Mar 2017, 12:29with the difference then that holiday airlines also carry a lot of people (like my grandparents for example) who have never seen a tablet/smartphone from up close. It's a pity that for some people of the older generation this service is disappearing
My guess is that your grandparents can survive without tablet/smartphone for the duration of a flight. They won't miss what they've never had.
What I meant is, they love following the flight info, enjoy a movie and relax. Its part of their holiday, and that gets taken away from them (not just my grandparents, anyone who isnt gadget minded) and that's a pity

Sai

Post by Sai »

I understand your comments...Nevertheless will miss the feature...
I would assume the cost of screens is relatively low in the total price of a brand new aircraft, weight shouldn't be an issue with streaming options nowadays I would think...

Offcourse their main competitors on their home market like SN, FR, etc haven't got screens/moving maps either, so why should they bother to continue to offer this...It indeed doesn't deliver them any profit...
Nevertheless still hope for (free) Wi-fi and an app of some sort then

Ozzie1969
Location: Brugge, Flanders + Annan, Scotland + Ormoc,Philippines

Post by Ozzie1969 »

sean1982 wrote: 03 Mar 2017, 21:47
Ozzie1969 wrote: 03 Mar 2017, 20:45
What I meant is, they love following the flight info, enjoy a movie and relax. Its part of their holiday, and that gets taken away from them (not just my grandparents, anyone who isnt gadget minded) and that's a pity
When I think back far enough to the days when individual screens for every seat didn't even exist, there were always screens suspended from the ceiling at the front of the aisle where they showed the flight plan, sometimes on longer flights even a movie. I guess they won't bring that back.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

I asked the question and got a reply: Passengers will be able to see the moving map and other IFE on their own devices thanks to an on board server.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Sai

Post by Sai »

Thanks for the answer...I can live with that ;-) hopefully also a possibillity to charge your device..

Kapitein

Post by Kapitein »

Apperently TUI received a new ERJ-190 on 30/03 OO-TEA

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

Kapitein wrote: 01 Apr 2017, 19:28 Apperently TUI received a new ERJ-190 on 30/03 OO-TEA
Ex- Montenegro Airlines, build in 2014

Sai

Post by Sai »

According to this article (Dutch), TUI fly will offer Pilot training programme and type rating for 25% of current market price and will invest € 1 000 000 in an own simulator and other training infrastructure.
Can imagine the flight schools won’t be too happy…Could this bring some competition to lower prices for ATPL trainings on the Belgian ‘flight school’ market?

(Edit: Sorry, was already mentioned in the news section of the website too: https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/tui-fly ... -programme )

Poiu

Post by Poiu »

This sounds too nice to be true!
A couple of remarks:
- there is a lot cheaper on the market, especially for MPL courses, so I would say less than half of the going rate but certainly not a quarter.
- will the student be paid a normal salary for their ground duties?
- after completion of the MPL course the pilot can only act as a pilot for TUI, as his licence will be restricted for four (?) years. What will be the working conditions during this period?
In total the student will be working for TUI for 7 years. TUI salaries are below the going market rates, so probably there is no much gain in the end, except training by instructors who are amongst the best one can find.
Conclusion: it is probably too nice to be true unfortunately!