Brussels Airlines' monthly traffic figures

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sn26567

Brussels Airlines' monthly traffic figures

Post by sn26567 »

They have done it again: +9.8%, when Brussels Airport shows +2.9% (the first positive figure since the March 22 attacks).

SN: https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/brussel ... -november/
BRU: https://www.aviation24.be/airports/brussel ... rong-15-8/

Brussels Airlines continues to increase its market share at BRU. Mr Spohr, take note please (LH on its side shows negative figures, Mr Spohr!).
André
ex Sabena #26567

Poiu

Re: Brussels Airlines' monthly traffic figures

Post by Poiu »

sn26567 wrote:Brussels Airlines continues to increase its market share at BRU. Mr Spohr, take note please (LH on its side shows negative figures, Mr Spohr!).
Mr Spohr only looks at the bottom line and he knows that the growth is nice, but unsustainable with a 70%LF.
An overcapacity storm is brewing, growing for the sake of growth is a dangerous game. (Air Berlin is a good example).

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

Poiu wrote:
sn26567 wrote:Brussels Airlines continues to increase its market share at BRU. Mr Spohr, take note please (LH on its side shows negative figures, Mr Spohr!).
Mr Spohr only looks at the bottom line and he knows that the growth is nice, but unsustainable with a 70%LF.
An overcapacity storm is brewing, growing for the sake of growth is a dangerous game. (Air Berlin is a good example).
Yes, but for 2015 the average LF was not 70% but 74,4 %. In july 2015 it was near 83%. I guess we are not on overcapacity but on the way, with bigger aircraft, to beter LF.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Good to see that the airport itself is finally able to reconnect with growth figures again for the first time since the attacks from over half a year ago, as well as that Bru.air had its biggest monthly growth since then and continues to push others at BRU back quite spectacularly.

About their LF: I noticed the rest of the Lufthansa group published a group average of 75% for this month; Bru.Air is close to 72% in the same month. Knowing the particularly difficult situation of its home airport, its remarkably similar in fact, so I am positively surprised how they are following up so closely.

We may often see discussions here which focus on them successfully fending off the low cost competition on European flight, but we shouldn't make the mistake to see them as a purely short range operator: they are increasingly expanding their intercontinental reach, so logically their loadfactor is different from that expected in purely regional operations, because those long (and often rather expensive, yet also more scarcely occupied?) flights are having a big impact on the combined average figures: it would be interesting if they gave a break up of their load factor over the network, just as they do with their passengers count too.

other than that: if they can pull off this kind of an operational performance in such a dramatic year, they are much stronger than anyone would have thought, 6 months ago: well done!

brusselsairlinesfan

Post by brusselsairlinesfan »

Dear all,
Happy new year to all luchtzak staff, members and "addicts"! I would like to wish you all the best for 2017!
I guess this year will open a new era in the brussels airlines history... by the way, any news regarding SN '16 december figures?
Vincent, Paris (F)

Boeing767copilot

Post by Boeing767copilot »

Dec 2016 589.913 (+15,2%)
Dec 2015 512.245
LF: 71.1% vs 69,4% (+1,7 pp)

2016: 7.736.791 (+3,2%)
2015: 7.495.145
LF: 74,9% vs 75,7% (-0,9 pp)

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

No idea about their monthly figures, but according to:
http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws/economie/1.2864577
They flew over 7.7M passengers last year (+3.2%) at a LF of 74.9%(-0.9%).
Given their year was shortened by almost 2 weeks due to the complete closure of their hub in the wake of the terror attacks on it and the impact that had on the traffic for the rest of the summer, not bad at all!

I suppose that as from now they will report as a LH group airlines?
How big is the volume for LH group in Belgium, btw?
10M, more or less?

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Boeing767copilot wrote: 12 Jan 2017, 15:22 Dec 2016 589.913 (+15,2%)
Dec 2015 512.245
LF: 71.1% vs 69,4% (+1,7 pp)

2016: 7.736.791 (+3,2%)
2015: 7.495.145
LF: 74,9% vs 75,7% (-0,9 pp)
Looks like our posts crossed each other.
So they must have published a press release then.
Spectacular monthly growth figures once again, I must say: more than 15%!
Maybe somebody can make a new and dedicated thread for the month of December once the release is posted online, such is always easy to refer to later.
With this kind of operational figures, its a safe guess financial figures over 2016 will not be all too dramatic either. Any news on when those will be communicated, possibly by Lufthansa itself for the very first time?

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

De Morgen has an article pretty much stating the same, but it does feature a nice graphical overview of their spectacular monthly growth vs last year, except for the dip around 22/03, which is nicely visible.
http://www.demorgen.be/economie/aanslag ... -ba5c3bce/

brusselsairlinesfan

These december figures are - once again - really impressive! But they truly deserve it...
My last 2016 flights (BRU-PRG-BRU, end december) were on brussels airlines and once again, I enjoyed it.
Especially the crews on both legs... they made it (as usual I you ask me) a great experience for me and my family (especially my little son who is slowly becoming a brussels airlines fan!). I must admit that I like SN far better that "our" AF...
Now that SN is fully owned by LH, I really hope they will be able to save their unique spirit and also their belgian identity.
You Belgians can really proud of your national carrier!

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

See here the full figures for December and the whole year 2016:

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/brussel ... gers-2016/

brusselsairlinesfan

Thank you very much, as this overview shows how impressive the brussels airlines performance is... despite the hard troubled 2016 year.

brusselsairlinesfan

After the nice Dec.'16 figures, what can we expect for January '17 ?!

Oiseau du Ciel

Post by Oiseau du Ciel »

First trimester 2017

Figures from the official website

January
PAX: 513 062 (+8%)
Passenger Load Factor: 65% (-2.3%)
--> Number of flights increased by 7% resulting in an increased ASK (+16%) wich grew faster than the number of PAX.

February
PAX: 545 869 (+4,2%)
PLF: 72,8% (+2%)
February 2016 had 29 days so according to the company it is a fine result. In april 2016 they started flights to Canada, also explaining the pasenger growth.

March
PAX: 686 299 (+51,4%)
PLF: 74,8 (+9,1%)
The figures are affected by the atttacks on the airport. Yet in March 2015 they had 563 365 PAX with a PLF of 69,1%

So I don't know what happend in Januari '17 but the load factors are growing. Bot I think they will drop a little in the next months due to the replacement of the Avro RJ100 with 97 seats by A319 with 141 seats and A320 with 180 seats.

Yuqu12

Post by Yuqu12 »

I don't agree with your statement on the replacement and the following little decrease of loadfactor. it is true that the RJ100's are replaced, but there are still the 3 Sukhoi's which will be coming as a replacement. However, SN isn't that stupid to keep the number of daily flights when they replace an RJ100 by an A319 or A320. For example, the route BRU-MXP was last summer 4 times a day with 2 319 and 2 RJ100's. Now there are 3 flights with an A319, so the 2 RJ100's are replaced by 1 flight so they won't fly that empty. I wouldn't be suprised if they do the same with other routes.

Oiseau du Ciel

Post by Oiseau du Ciel »

Aha, I see. I was aware of the new Sukhoi's but didn't know how they would adapt the schedueles. I think I'll miss those AVRO's

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Comparing March figures in leisure oriented businesses is traditionally a difficult thing to do as the month is heavily influenced by the presence of eastern holidays (or not).
Not to mention of course this time round it's basically meaningless given the closure of Brussels airport last year even, resulting in a completely distorted monthly growth figure of well over 50%.

But like you've said, compared to 2 years ago, there's a volumetric monthly growth of almost 18% over the same period; about 9% when annualized, so definitely another strong performance of theirs in a market where others, including ryanair, are massively cutting back due to fierce direct competition.

I don't know whether this topic is a good place to do some fact finding in their results like we routinely do here, or whether someone wants to start a separate one for the month of March in particular (in which case this post may be moved there), but a few facts I can't but notice and would like to highlight:

1- load factor stands at just under 75% (74.8% to be exact) vs. 77.2% for the entire Lufthansa group, thus once again showing the often heard comment about their 'unsustainably low loadfactor' is largely hyperbolic: its actually fairly standard within their group, comfortably beating Austrian for instance.

2- with almost 690,000 customers flown last month, Brussels Airlines represent slightly more than 30% of the total traffic volume of Eurowings based on a simple head- or flightcount.

3-Brussels Airlines stands for 40% of the consolidated business even when based on the industry standard ASK.

4- on the intercontinental front alone, Brussels Airlines make up more than 50% of the consolidated business of Eurowings even (hard to find an exact figure as Lufthansa only mentions a rounded 0.2M as consolidated figure there).

OO-ITR

Post by OO-ITR »

Inquirer wrote: 12 Apr 2017, 11:06 Comparing March figures in leisure oriented businesses is traditionally a difficult thing to do as the month is heavily influenced by the presence of eastern holidays (or not).
Not to mention of course this time round it's basically meaningless given the closure of Brussels airport last year even, resulting in a completely distorted monthly growth figure of well over 50%.

But like you've said, compared to 2 years ago, there's a volumetric monthly growth of almost 18% over the same period; about 9% when annualized, so definitely another strong performance of theirs in a market where others, including ryanair, are massively cutting back due to fierce direct competition.

I don't know whether this topic is a good place to do some fact finding in their results like we routinely do here, or whether someone wants to start a separate one for the month of March in particular (in which case this post may be moved there), but a few facts I can't but notice and would like to highlight:

1- load factor stands at just under 75% (74.8% to be exact) vs. 77.2% for the entire Lufthansa group, thus once again showing the often heard comment about their 'unsustainably low loadfactor' is largely hyperbolic: its actually fairly standard within their group, comfortably beating Austrian for instance.

2- with almost 690,000 customers flown last month, Brussels Airlines represent slightly more than 30% of the total traffic volume of Eurowings based on a simple head- or flightcount.

3-Brussels Airlines stands for 40% of the consolidated business even when based on the industry standard ASK.

4- on the intercontinental front alone, Brussels Airlines make up more than 50% of the consolidated business of Eurowings even (hard to find an exact figure as Lufthansa only mentions a rounded 0.2M as consolidated figure there).
Also I wonder what will happen once the flights for Thomas Cook will be integrated. As now the pax for charter flights are not counted into the total amount of pax. It depends if these flights will be scheduled flights or continue as charter flights...