Lufthansa buys the remaining 55% of Brussels Airlines

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Inquirer

Re: Lufthansa buys the remaining 55% of Brussels Airlines

Post by Inquirer »

I don't share your pessimism, Sean.

Without a solvent shareholder, there was no credible chance for them to ever come up with a meaningful project regarding fleet renewal or anything like that, (which is why it got pushed ever further out in time too, IMHO), but now financing is no longer a major problem, so that's a major step forward: as you know all too well I am sure, successfully securing financing is the all important first step from daydream to reality for any project.

By having secured access to meaningful financing for their future growth, the long term sustainability of their operations in Brussels is far better guaranteed of course, which is excellent news not only for the thousands of people working for them, but also for the airport and indeed our country as a whole!

Whatever the name is they operate under in the long term, who cares, frankly?
What matters to me is that there's a sizeable airline willing to operate a nice and ever growing network at BRU, employing thousands of people here directly, all while the airport can benefit from it to support thousands of more jobs indirectly! That's what basically all airlines in the world toot in their PR whenever they base a single new plane somewhere, or open up a few new routes with it, remember?

And the airline doing that is Belgian born, Belgian grown, Belgian anchored and Belgian run, so what's the problem exactly? That its sole shareholder is German? The current set of shareholders doesn't look very Belgian either in fact: 45% German, 15% British, the rest French or Dutch banks and service providers, for the simple reason that when it comes to risk sharing, Belgians are all too often looking the other side when they have the opportunity.

Let's see what the future brings: the opportunities are widespread and they have just become much easier to grasp now, thanks to the money Lufthansa can provide them with if it makes economic sense to do so, so things haven't looked as good for them in a long time, I'd say.
Put yourself 6 months back in time, and think again.

b720

Post by b720 »

Very well said, Inquirer..

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Someone asked for an update on new posts on the homepage about topics that are discussed here. Hence:

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/brussel ... -together/

and

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/lufthan ... irholding/

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Passenger wrote:Someone asked for an update on new posts on the homepage about topics that are discussed here. Hence:

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/brussel ... -together/

and

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/lufthan ... irholding/
And https://www.aviation24.be/subscribe-daily-newsletter/

babolat-blast

Post by babolat-blast »

Gustin is a guest tonight in Ter Zake on Canvas, 8.05pm. Maybe he'll get some tough questions ;)

sn-remember

Post by sn-remember »

I was browsing through airliners.net to find some clues regarding sn's star alliance membership prospects under the (hostile?) EW takeover because this membership is so obviously vital to sn's l/h future operations and Bru future development.
Only post I found on that topic, I want to share with you (from poster blueflyer, currently the last contribution)
"Carsten Spohr seems dedicated to do almost anything to make the new Eurowings, his pet project, succeeds at almost any cost, but I don't think he'd dare to go as far as taking Brussels Airlines, or whatever the new entity's name is, out of Star Alliance. The alliance and the A++ joint venture bring massive benefits by funneling United, Air Canada, and to a lesser extent ANA and Thai passengers onto Brussels Airlines' flights to Africa. Taking away Star Alliance will have an immediate and very detrimental effect on Brussels Airlines' African network. Even Spohr would find it difficult to explain to his board why he gutted one of the most profitable elements of their new acquisition."
From http://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopi ... &t=1343673

b.lufthansa

Post by b.lufthansa »

Blauwe vakbond;

Bijzondere ondernemingsraad Brussels Airlines

Lufthansa / Eurowings Groep zal vanaf 1 januari Brussels Airlines overnemen.

Er is een overeenkomst om de continuïteit van het bedrijf te verzekeren. Tevens zal er vandaag een investeringsplan aangekondigd worden.

Het investeringsplan zal vooral gaan over de vernieuwing en de uitbreiding van de lange afstandsvloot. Op termijn zou Brussel de Afrika-Hub van de groep moeten worden.

Dit is natuurlijk belangrijk voor de tewerkstelling. Het zal de komende de jaren voor een versterking/uitbouw van de werkgelegenheid zorgen.

Toch maken we ons op korte termijn zorgen over de tewerkstelling van de ondersteunende diensten. De komende weken zullen wij als Liberale Vakbond hierover meer duidelijkheid vragen.

Brussels Airlines zou onder de groep Eurowings vallen, maar wel met een overeenkomst dat er het eerste jaar geen aanpassing komt in de manier van werken van Brussels Airlines. Nadien zou dit in onderling overleg gebeuren.

Als Liberale Vakbond beseffen we dat deze overname noodzakelijk is voor de verdere ontwikkeling van het bedrijf. Wij hopen dat Brussels Airlines een volwaardige partner zal worden binnen de Eurowings Groep.

De Liberale Vakbond ziet in dit verhaal kansen tot groei, zeker in combinatie met het project van de luchthaven 2040.

Deze plannen hebben wel pas kans op slagen als er ook een lange termijn visie komt van de verschillende regeringen.

Sinds de verhuis van de DHL-Hub zijn wij als Liberale Vakbond vragende partij voor dergelijke lange termijn visie.

Het uitblijven van deze visie heeft immers op Brussels Airport al heel wat jobs gekost.

b.lufthansa

Post by b.lufthansa »

Conseil d'entreprise exceptionnel de Brussels Airlines

Lufthansa / Eurowings Group acquiert totalement Brussels Airlines à partir du 1er janvier

Il y a un accord pour assurer la pérennité de l'entreprise. Voilà pourquoi un plan d'investissement a était dévoilé aujourd'hui.

L'investissement se concentrera sur le renouvellement et l'expansion de la flotte long-courrier. Et a long terme Bruxelles deviendra le Hub africain du groupe.

Ceci est évidemment important pour renforcer garantir et fournir de l'emploi pour les prochaines années.

Pourtant, nous nous inquiétons à court terme sur le maintien de l'emploi dans certains services. Dans les semaines à venir, nous en tant que Syndicat libéral demanderons plus se clarté par rapport a cela.

Brussels Airlines sera une entité d'Eurowings, mais avec un accord pour que la première année, aucuns changements prédominant ne viendrais affecté la manière de travailler de Brussels Airlines. Ensuite, cela se pourrait se produire.

Comme Syndicat libéral, nous nous rendons compte que cette acquisition est nécessaire pour le développement futur de la société. Nous espérons que Brussels Airlines deviendra un partenaire fort et à part entière du groupe dans l'entité Eurowings.

Votre Syndicat libéral voit dans ce rachat des opportunités de croissance, en particulier en combinaison avec le projet de développement de l'aéroport a l'horizon de 2040.

Cette vision a long terme ne pourra toutefois réussir que s'il y a une réelle volonté des différents gouvernements.

Depuis la délocalisation du Hub de DHL, nous, en tant que Syndicat libéral demandons une telle projection pour le futur.

Malheureusement le manque de vision a long termes venant de certaines institutions a déjà coûté beaucoup d'emplois a l'aéroport de Bruxelles

Matthias

Post by Matthias »

b.lufthansa wrote: Er is een overeenkomst om de continuïteit van het bedrijf te verzekeren. Tevens zal er vandaag een investeringsplan aangekondigd worden.

Het investeringsplan zal vooral gaan over de vernieuwing en de uitbreiding van de lange afstandsvloot. Op termijn zou Brussel de Afrika-Hub van de groep moeten worden.
Is there already something known about the investment plan?

Greetings,
Matthias

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

About the name:
I read several interviews with Gustin and the "problem" with the name Brussels Airlines that it is not recognizable enough outside Belgium and Africa. The name will stay Brussels Airlines, unless they find 'a better one' - including a Belgian link. This sounds to me they are really looking for a new name. Time will tell I guess...

About the fleet:
Carsten Spohr said that the LH Group orders about 50 new aircraft a year. Can we expect (finally) some factory new aircraft for SN ?

DeltaWiskey

Post by DeltaWiskey »

The avro's were factory new when delivered to SN/DAT :mrgreen:

Wasn't it already mentioned that they will invest 600million in new long haul aircraft? That sort of money buys you new planes. Then, the SSJs will also be factory new. ;)

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

DeltaWiskey wrote:Wasn't it already mentioned that they will invest 600million in new long haul aircraft?
Davignon started the press conference with a firm statement that this "600m investment" was a false rumour.

DeltaWiskey

Post by DeltaWiskey »

As the aircraft will be leased, there is no real investment, so, yes you are correct. Anyway, from what I gathered, the new long haul aircraft will indeed be factory new. It should be announced no later than March.

sn-remember

Post by sn-remember »

Of course they will not transfer SAfrica to bru. It is in the hands of sn's management to prove sAfrica is doable ALSO from bru. And other markets too !
But some silences are deafening ... Not a single word was mentioned about the Star alliance membership. I wonder what Gustin and Davignon were up to ... Even in my worst case scenarios, I was assuming this membership would be guaranteed FROM THE START.
Those who cared to read my scarce contributions on this thread know that my 'worst case scenario' was the possibility of a full EW merger, however I was expecting that EW would subsequently apply for a full *A membership (same as AC-Rouge). Depriving SN (hatever the name) from the *A membership is a definite sign of a hostile take over. It's UNACCEPTABLE.
Lastly I don't understand the stance to renew only 7 l/h planes (i.e the A330's). This is a severe shrink from present operations and does NOT forebodes well. Or did I miss something ?

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

sn-remember wrote: Lastly I don't understand the stance to renew only 7 l/h planes (i.e the A330's). This is a severe shrink from present operations and does NOT forebodes well. Or did I miss something ?
This number of planes was only mentioned in the (false) reports of 600 million which were contested by Davignon.

From the current 9 active (and 10th upcoming) only SFX is a fairly young birth being only 7 years old, the next "youngest" plane is 16,5 years old while Foxtrot Mike, the oldest one is over 23 years old and the 3rd oldest A330 still in active service.

I'm pretty sure all old planes will be replaced with Foxtrot X-Ray being the odd birth in the fleet, not only is she the youngest one but also the only one with RR engines. But if they decide to go with the A330NEO then all birds will be RR powered as the NEO will be exclusively RR powered.

teach

Post by teach »

DeltaWiskey wrote:As the aircraft will be leased, there is no real investment, so, yes you are correct. Anyway, from what I gathered, the new long haul aircraft will indeed be factory new. It should be announced no later than March.
Very interesting news. That pretty much rules out current generation A330s, as apparently the planes will be leased, and not a single lessor still has outstanding unplaced orders with Airbus.

IMO, that puts the A330NEO in pole position: ideal replacement for the current A330s, and available in the timeframe SN needs them, with plenty of frames available from three different lessors. SN could actually become one of the first airlines in the world to operate the NEO...

teach

Post by teach »

sn-remember wrote:Of course they will not transfer SAfrica to bru. It is in the hands of sn's management to prove sAfrica is doable ALSO from bru. And other markets too !
But some silences are deafening ... Not a single word was mentioned about the Star alliance membership. I wonder what Gustin and Davignon were up to ... Even in my worst case scenarios, I was assuming this membership would be guaranteed FROM THE START.
Those who cared to read my scarce contributions on this thread know that my 'worst case scenario' was the possibility of a full EW merger, however I was expecting that EW would subsequently apply for a full *A membership (same as AC-Rouge). Depriving SN (hatever the name) from the *A membership is a definite sign of a hostile take over. It's UNACCEPTABLE.
It's interesting to try to follow your panicky train of thought here: so because membership of an alliance they've been a member of for years wasn't explicitly mentioned in the press conference, you're somehow assuming they will be dropped from it? That's one HELL of an assumption you're making. The hostile takeover thing is also ridiculous: why on earth would LH intentionally hurt a company they're 100% owner of, unless they're somehow desperate to shoot themselves in the foot?
Lastly I don't understand the stance to renew only 7 l/h planes (i.e the A330's). This is a severe shrink from present operations and does NOT forebodes well. Or did I miss something ?
There is no such stance. Again, you're jumping to conclusions based on very little, and very thin evidence. In this case a claim that was denied by SN at the press conference. And even that claim never mentioned that the long haul fleet would be shrunk, just that LH would finance 7 new long haul planes. That could just as easily mean those planes would be used to replace the oldest five A330-300s (all between 21 and 23 years old) and expand the fleet by two frames. OR it could mean LH would finance 7 planes, while SN themselves will finance the rest.

Lots of possibilities, no need to immediately assume the sky is falling.

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

teach wrote:
DeltaWiskey wrote:As the aircraft will be leased, there is no real investment, so, yes you are correct. Anyway, from what I gathered, the new long haul aircraft will indeed be factory new. It should be announced no later than March.
Very interesting news. That pretty much rules out current generation A330s, as apparently the planes will be leased, and not a single lessor still has outstanding unplaced orders with Airbus.

IMO, that puts the A330NEO in pole position: ideal replacement for the current A330s, and available in the timeframe SN needs them, with plenty of frames available from three different lessors. SN could actually become one of the first airlines in the world to operate the NEO...
Could be. Are there any chances for the A350? LH ordered 25 if I'm not mistaken.

teach

Post by teach »

Boavida wrote:
Could be. Are there any chances for the A350? LH ordered 25 if I'm not mistaken.
I highly doubt it. The ones LH ordered are for LH itself, and the A350 is probably 'too much airplane' for what SN needs.

sn-remember

Post by sn-remember »

@bralo20 Thank you for your informative response on my last point. Indeed, it would not make sense to fix a rigid investment plan of that sort from the start. BTW I suppose you mean SFX would be the "odd bird" (ie more recent and RR powered) ?
@teach Sorry to disagree, when your company is forcefully merged into another one which happens NOT to be *A full member as you are, it IS legitimate to ask yourself what the future holds regarding this VITAL point. And I AM surprised this obvious question was NOT raised publicly.
Also, I don't see HOW SN on it's own could finance additional aircrat to the ones LH is willing to finance. SN would NOT have that freedom I am afraid ..