Reopening Brussels Airport after the 22/03/2016 terror attacks

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

teach

Re: Reopening Brussels Airport after the 22/03/2016 terror attacks

Post by teach »

sean1982 wrote:you're short term memory is lacking as YOU were the one who drew up the comparison in the first place. Every person killed is one to many no matter whether it is in BRU or in IST or in any other place in the world for that matter. The conclusions you draw in regards to my statement are wrong, false and completly unacceptable as are half of your posts.
With all due respect Sean, but you clearly have no idea whatsoever what you're talking about.

Here's what happened: Flanker2 made the incredibly nasty and malicious comment that BRU should be ashamed of itself because it took so long to reopen the airport while in IST they reopened much sooner. Passenger responded to that with a clear and concise explanation as to why that was the case. At NO point did Passenger show even any semblance of disrespect to the victims at either airport, and he most certainly at no point said or implied that victims at either airport are more or less valuable than the other. That's just what you appear to have dreamed up in your head, in an attempt to make that ridiculous feud you've got going on with Passenger flare up again. Your posts on this are WAY out of line, Sean. Check yourself.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

My posts? I only made two, none of them that were out of line and none of them that were disrespectful to anyone. My first post was nothing more or nothing less than a reaction to that disrespectful comparison. I have no desire whatsoever to compare victims of terrorist attacks, like I said before every victim is one to many. Thanks for bringing up the feud btw, I wasn't the one stabbing under the belt .... AGAIN

teach

Post by teach »

sean1982 wrote:My first post was nothing more or nothing less than a reaction to that disrespectful comparison.
There is absolutely NOTHING disrespectful about the comparison Passenger made. It is a simple, factual and 100% correct analysis of why IST could reopen much sooner than BRU. If you don't see that and desperately wish to see a lack of respect in that, then you are the one with the problem, not Passenger.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Can we now please stop this useless discussion and concentrate on the topic: reopening of BRU after the terror attacks !

Thanks to all for your future cooperation to this goal!
André
ex Sabena #26567

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

I just past true the airport the diamond is open but when are the shops upstairs opening.
Was this part also damaged?

And the poeple waiting for the pax are still waiting outside will this stay like that?
Hasta la victoria siempre.

Sonho1985

Post by Sonho1985 »

lumumba wrote:
And the poeple waiting for the pax are still waiting outside will this stay like that?
Than I must say those people are not so clever. Everbody is allowed to access the terminal to drop off or pick up relatives or friends, BUT only via departure level (pre-terminal check).

Sometimes people "don't look further then the length of their nose", to say it in Louis Van Gaal-mode.

Freken

Post by Freken »

Sonho1985 wrote:
lumumba wrote:
Than I must say those people are not so clever. Everbody is allowed to access the terminal to drop off or pick up relatives or friends, BUT only via departure level (pre-terminal check).

Sometimes people "don't look further then the length of their nose", to say it in Louis Van Gaal-mode.
To be honest, it's not really well known and not communicated well by BRU. (On purpose?)

I believe lumumba means that family still have to wait on the arrivals curb to pick up their relatives, while they could enter through the departure level and go down through the Diamant.

webstermc

Post by webstermc »

As stated on their website:

It is allowed again to accompany passengers into the departures hall. However, just like passengers, you will first have to go through a pre-screening in the pre-check structures in front of the departures hall.

http://www.brusselsairport.be/en/passng ... axdropoff/

b720

Post by b720 »

making (waiting) people enter through departures?
1. They congest departure security if everyone is being checked
2. if no one is being checked upstairs anyway, why are they not simply allowed to enter at arrivals and await their loved ones and consume at the shops?

I am sick and tired of reading and witnessing the pathetic situation at BRU. Again, the current set up will not prevent future attacks. Current policy is simply to abuse PAX using the airport, and to fulfill the egos of security and other instances that clearly failed miserably before the attacks. There is no other explanation. And yes, in comparison to IST, BRU is shamed and shamed when we compare the aftermath of the attacks.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

I understand for the arrivals and for the shops upstairs when are they opening again somebody nows?
Hasta la victoria siempre.

teach

Post by teach »

webstermc wrote:As stated on their website:

It is allowed again to accompany passengers into the departures hall. However, just like passengers, you will first have to go through a pre-screening in the pre-check structures in front of the departures hall.

http://www.brusselsairport.be/en/passng ... axdropoff/
A statement on the website simply isn't enough, the majority of people don't check the website before they go to the airport to pick someone up.

They should post clear signs in the parking towers, telling people who are picking someone up to go through departures and then take the escalator down to arrivals.
Sonho1985 wrote:Than I must say those people are not so clever. Everbody is allowed to access the terminal to drop off or pick up relatives or friends, BUT only via departure level (pre-terminal check).

Nothing to do with people 'not being clever'. If it's not clearly signposted in the parking buildings most people won't know, and will simply do what they see others doing, i.e. wait outside. If the majority of people don't find their way to some place, then it's not becaus they're dumb, it's because you didn't inform them enough.

Put signs up, and you will RAPIDLY see the number of people waiting outside decline, and businesses in the arrivals area which are now suffering badly will equally rapidly see their revenue stream liven up again. No idea what's keeping BRU management so long to do this while those businesses are losing money hand over fist.

b720

Post by b720 »

People are not "not clever" at all... Their only fault is that they still use this pathetic excuse of an airport!!! The clever ones are those who came up with those regulations, and implemented them... Police, military, those issuing orders, those running the airport. they are very very clever.

convair

Post by convair »

teach wrote:
They should post clear signs in the parking towers, telling people who are picking someone up to go through departures and then take the escalator down to arrivals.
You're absolutely right. And, at the same time, it would highlight the absurdity of the current measures!

Do we live in a "Banana republic"? I'm really starting to wonder...

SN22667

Post by SN22667 »

:idea: Went several times in the past few days to pick up arrival passengers. Found a "no return" sign on the corridor to the Delhaize shop in the arrival hall. Why not place this after the Delhaize Shop ? This would certainly boost their business.
Other question : why keep the VIP Parking closed ?

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

SN22667 wrote::idea: Went several times in the past few days to pick up arrival passengers. Found a "no return" sign on the corridor to the Delhaize shop in the arrival hall. Why not place this after the Delhaize Shop ? This would certainly boost their business.
Other question : why keep the VIP Parking closed ?
Because they want to keep the Delhaize opened for everyone.

brabel

Post by brabel »

Brussels Airport June 2016: 2,050,148 passengers
-6.8% compared to June 2015

https://www.aviation24.be/airports/brussel ... port-june/

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

brabel wrote:Brussels Airport June 2016: 2,050,148 passengers
impact of the 22/03 attacks on traffic to and through Brussels Airport

impact of the 22/03 attacks on travel to Belgium

impact of Jet Airways' move to AMS

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

Not too bad
April ( January > April ) - 18%
Mai ( January > May ) - 15,6 %
June ( January > June ) - 13,8%

I wonder if we will finish this year around ZERO meaning 2016 = 2015 ! It could be a challenge ! And maybe a good result ! ;)

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Inquirer wrote:Just 2% growth in June, first full month where BRU was operational again (albeit still capacity restricted)?
That sounds very low for a low cost airport: any explanation given for this stagnation?
I think Brussels will have done better (based on previous months' figures), so CRL are loosing market share in Belgium!
Almost a 7% decline was to be expected. The above statement about CRL was clearly extremely over-optimistic and shows that CRL is re-covering at a better pace than BRU

convair

Post by convair »

nordikcam wrote:
Not too bad
April ( January > April ) - 18%
Mai ( January > May ) - 15,6 %
June ( January > June ) - 13,8%

I wonder if we will finish this year around ZERO meaning 2016 = 2015 ! It could be a challenge ! And maybe a good result ! ;)
SN's figures for the month will be very interesting too. They're a bit slow in publishing them nowadays.