TNT Airways/ASL Airlines Belgium news 2016

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sn26567

TNT Airways/ASL Airlines Belgium news 2016

Post by sn26567 »

Great news for Liège: TNT sells its airline TNT Airways to Belgian owned ASL Aviation, which will take over the fleet and the routes from Liège.

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/tnt-air ... perations/
André
ex Sabena #26567

Acid-drop

Re: TNT Airways news 2016

Post by Acid-drop »

...if fedex find a place for them in their plan.
How can this be anything else than gambling ?
Please explain me

What will happen to the current european network of fedex ? Likely to merge with tnt/asl then ?
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Acid-drop wrote:...if fedex find a place for them in their plan.
How can this be anything else than gambling ?
Please explain me

What will happen to the current european network of fedex ? Likely to merge with tnt/asl then ?
What will happen with the activities in LGG of course depends on what FedEx decides to do with their activities overthere, but I assume they gave certain guarantees to ASL Aviation (otherwise indeed it is a huge gamble and TNT Airways is probably not worth that much either, I can't see anyone being interested in TNT Airways without guarantees about the Liege activities at least on the short term).

ASL already operates ATR's for FedEx in Europe, so I assume that in the agreement about the take-over, there are some agreements about the extension of the agreement to make sure the activities of TNT Airways (or ASL Airlines Liege/Belgium or whatever it will be called) remain viable at least on the short and middle long term.

BRU

Post by BRU »

Lets hope for LGG. For sure ASL has been given some guarantees to operate fligths for FedEx in future, but this could be from any airport. Even today, ASL is operating many flights for different operators. They do not need one operational base, but will fly from the base their customers ask them to do. If FedEx keeps on using LGG, they will operate from LGG. If FedEx prefers CGN, the can as easy operate the routes out of CGN. That is a FedEx decision.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Why would FedEx move to CGN a whole operation that works well at LGG? Remember, TNT moved away from CGN to come to Liège: they certainly had good reasons to do so. Have those reasons suddenly disappeared?

OK, FedEx has already operations at CGN and it is certainly interesting to regroup everything in one single location, but not necessarily CGN. And moving such a big operation (after millions of euros of investments) cannot be decided by the rolling the dice.
André
ex Sabena #26567

BRU

Post by BRU »

Agree with you. Will probably take some time. Also seen the fact they recenly finished a big expansion in CDG themselves. But FedEx will not keep 3 hubs in Western Europe. Was just making the statement that the sale does not mean it is confirmed they stay in LGG.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

The size of the hub in LGG is much bigger than CGN
And no curfew. LGG was confirmed in multiple press release.

But for CDG thats another story. LGG could win on short term and lose later.
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

The agreement reached today is quite clear; The buildings in Liège remain property of TNT, which means that operations from Liège will continue for several months, if not years.

Furthermore, ASL Aviation Group (Ireland) entered a multi-year service agreement with TNT Express (Netherlands) to operate flights for the intended FedEx-TNT combination. But, of course, ASL Aviation Group will continue to serve multiple airline customers.
André
ex Sabena #26567

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Maybe also important is that LGG is part of CDG.
Fed Ex can maybe discus a better price like that and CDG keep LGG on track .
Hasta la victoria siempre.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

sn26567 wrote:Furthermore, ASL Aviation Group (Ireland) entered a multi-year service agreement with... ...
Don't focus too much on that "Ireland" André. ASL's major shareholder (51%) is CMB / the Saverys family.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Passenger wrote:
sn26567 wrote:Furthermore, ASL Aviation Group (Ireland) entered a multi-year service agreement with... ...
Don't focus too much on that "Ireland" André. ASL's major shareholder (51%) is CMB / the Saverys family.
And the other shareholder (49%) is 3P Air Freighters in cooperation ("sponsored by") with the Belgian financial institute Petercam. So ASL's ownership as a whole is quite Belgian.

But it's a fact that ASL Airlines Group is an Irish company (though with Belgian ownership) and the biggest division of the group is ASL Airlines Ireland (mainly consisting of the previous Air Contractors), but also divisions in France (the previous Europe Airpost), Hungary, Switserland, etc.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

Will the long haul fleet stay with ASL ?
Seems unlikely no ?
Its important for LGG, i already mentioned the agreement they have with qatar cargo.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Acid-drop wrote:Will the long haul fleet stay with ASL ?
Seems unlikely no ?
Its important for LGG, i already mentioned the agreement they have with qatar cargo.
Why wouldn't they stay as long as they have work for these aircraft?
ASL currently doesn't really have a major/modern long haul or widebody fleet (except 757's of which most operate for Aer Lingus on the trans-Atlantic network, and A300's), but that doesn't mean now that they will not keep the ones of TNT. It's one of the important assets of TNT Airways, so that would a strange decision.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Goodbye TNT, welcome ASL Airlines Belgium (Pictures Liège Airport)

André
ex Sabena #26567

Konus

Post by Konus »

This looks to me a little bit strange.

The aircraft on the pictures is HA-FAY of ASL Airlines Hungary.

Does ASL Belgium already exist as a company ?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Konus wrote:Does ASL Belgium already exist as a company ?
Yes, it does. And it has a webpage http://www.aslairlines.be/ saying that ASL Airlines Belgium was formerly TNT Airways and showing the same Hungarian aircraft next to an orange TNT aircraft.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Konus

Re: TNT Airways/ASL Airlines Belgium news 2016

Post by Konus »

Thank you for the answer.

Rgds

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

That a/c is flying for weeks already, even FR24 is using the asl logo already

Ozzie1969
Location: Brugge, Flanders + Annan, Scotland + Ormoc,Philippines

Post by Ozzie1969 »

I seem to remember that TNT at one time did passenger charter flights. Do they still do that?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Ozzie1969 wrote:I seem to remember that TNT at one time did passenger charter flights. Do they still do that?
No. Their Boeing 737 QC (quick change) aircraft are now full cargo.
André
ex Sabena #26567