Terror attacks: explosions in the departure hall of Brussels Airport!

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sn26567

Re: Terror attacks: explosions in the departure hall of Brussels Airport!

Post by sn26567 »

teach wrote:
sn26567 wrote:Four people wounded in Brussels attacks have died in hospital, bringing total number of victims to 35 (that number includes the three terrorists that blew up themselves and which are not really victims...).
No, that's the number of victims. Including the terrorists, the number is 38.
OK, I had been misled by an earlier report from BBC.

According to Health Minister Maggie De Block, there are still 96 victims in hospitals: 93 in Belgium, 2 in France, 1 en route to the US.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

Regarding SN's short-term liquidity, I wouldn't worry too much.
They came out of 2015 with healthy profits which will definitely help.
Planes that don't fly don't burn fuel even though other operating costs keep running. Staff can be put on economic welfare, and the regional airports are cheaper in taxes and handling cost.
So the daily added cost is probably a couple of millions.
With cancellations, it wouldn't surprise me to see forward payments for booking decreasing SN's treasury by 30 million Euro's. All in all, I don't think that SN will run into a cash problem unless they keep running the reestablished operations at a 50% lower capacity for more than a month from restarting the ops.

The real question is what will become of LH's intended full take-over planned for next month.

In fact, the risk on SN has increased in the past week, as it's unknown how fast BRU will recover and how fast the pax will come back. With or without the LH take-over problem, Brussels and Belgium now have become a dangerous place to visit for many tourists and business people.

On the other hand, SN's staff are presented with a unique opportunity to charm LH. Not only to take them over, but to show that Brussels Airlines can do things that Eurowings can't do in similar circumstances. Don't ask me how they should do it, that's for the CEO and the staff to figure out.

Pocahontas

Post by Pocahontas »

I agree with you, but there have been terrorist attacks almost everywhere now, if not terrorists another loco does horrific things (cfr. Oslo). I think nowadays most of the people cope better and want to show the world these foolish attacks don't make us stay inside!
Some will never fly again, that is true...

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Some more pictures from inside the terminal are shown here, some of them I find upsetting:

http://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf2016032 ... id=5453378

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Inquirer wrote:Some more pictures from inside the terminal are shown here, some of them I find upsetting:
Shocking indeed. I know it's no consolation for the relatives of the victims, but we can only be thankfull that the third bomb didn't explode as planned by them. Apparently it was even more heavy then n° 1 and n° 2.

Apuneger

Post by Apuneger »

Inquirer wrote:Some more pictures from inside the terminal are shown here, some of them I find upsetting:

Quite shocking photos of our beloved airport indeed...
It's not good when it's done, it's done when it's good...
---
Facebook | Twitter | Flickr

mad_fab

Post by mad_fab »

God.. I can't even tell where in the airport was the first photo taken...

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

The cover of Charlie Hebdo is, hum, what could be expected:

André
ex Sabena #26567

b720

Post by b720 »

tasteless.. cheap sensational. but hey, freedom of speech.. although Stromae might not be thrilled to have his
image and song on the cover.. One thing for sure: je NE suis PAS Cahrlie!

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

those guys have always been very gusty and imo funny.
it is ...expected as you say André, they weren't getting so much attention in the past, that's the only difference.
You can laugh of everything but not with everyone (Pierre Desproges)
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

koja78

Post by koja78 »

Ok, this is in Dutch and I don't know how trustworthy the sources are.. but if this is true... then Jambon should take his responsability and go...

http://www.dewereldmorgen.be/artikel/20 ... ter-jambon

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

koja78 wrote:Ok, this is in Dutch and I don't know how trustworthy the sources are.. but if this is true... then Jambon should take his responsability and go...

http://www.dewereldmorgen.be/artikel/20 ... ter-jambon
A left-wing magazine asking for the dismissal of a NVA minister: soooooooo predictable.

(by the way, that story about the G4S agent who's identity badge was withdrawn too late, is very old).

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Please no politics here. But if it is proven that someone is responsible for a major failure, be it a minister or somebody else, then he should be prosecuted.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

And what about BAC's responsibility? Should the CEO resign as well...?

b-west

Post by b-west »

Sad to say, but this is the result of a commercial company cutting corners on security to maximise its profits. The airport has been turned into a shopping mall where planes happen to arrive.

I can give you an example of another loophole that had been around for 20 years. The only reason I'm giving the example now is because it has finally been solved with the opening of the second part of connector:
How to get on a plane without passing security.
You buy a ticket to any non schengen destination.
Proceed with a bag of explosives to the airport. Dont worry, you won't get checked at the entrance.
You pass the border control, who just checks your passport but not what you have with you.
In stead of going through security, you follow the exit sign and take the passage to the left of security.
Once you're downstairs, in stead of going right to the arrivals border control, you go left and take a casual stroll along the arrival gates of gate B.
When one of the arrival gate doors open en passengers come streaming out, you simply go inside and whenever you feel like it you shout something about god and detonate your bomb.

FOR 20 YEARS this was a loophole! Countless times pointed out to BAC. But nothing was done about it. Only now, with connector open, is it impossible to access the arrivals area like this.

Sabena320

Post by Sabena320 »

b-west wrote:I can give you an example of another loophole that had been around for 20 years. The only reason I'm giving the example now is because it has finally been solved with the opening of the second part of connector
Indeed one of them, sadly enough there are still some left... One of them being so obvious, sent e-mails to BAC, but never received a 'real' answer.

PttU

Post by PttU »

b-west wrote:Proceed with a bag of explosives to the airport. Dont worry, you won't get checked at the entrance.
I understand there need to be some more extensive checks to at least give a secure feeling at the airports after the attacks, but it remains a feeling of security: you'll never be completely safe. I know an airport is important and there are a lot of people present, which makes it a possible target. But there are so many places where you can get in with a backpack or something bigger without being checked: train stations (even trains themselves), hospitals, schools, universities, shopping centres,... So many places where you could make at least a similar amount of victims and at least a similar psychological impact. Should we security-screen everyone at all those locations as well?

b720

Post by b720 »

Interesting loophole, but as you said it has been resolved. Security check outside the airport is only going to move the potential target away from the terminal. If the security check is to protect the terminal, then yes. If it is to protect human life, then no. We will all be lining up outside awaiting to be checked, an even easier target for the terrorists. Checking each and every car upon approach to the airport? Asking each car to stop, open the trunk, open the luggage? It will create a 3 hour traffic jam. Again, the terrorist will line up in his car, and detonate once it is his/her turn at the police check point.One will have to leave for the airport 4 hours before the flight. No one in their right mind will fly out of BRU. The only answer is increased intelligence and surveillance of our problematic neighborhoods, and very close cooperation with our friends and allies.

b-west

Post by b-west »

With sufficient investment, an entry check doesn't need to create a lengthy queue. The departure hall has 4 entrances. The can all be equipped with 2 scanners. But this would require an investment of Brussels Airport that's not aimed at getting more revenue out of the people passing through the airport. As BAC has proven that commercial interests are more important than human life, I doubt they'll be willing to invest in this.

mad_fab

Post by mad_fab »

b-west wrote:As BAC has proven that commercial interests are more important than human life, I doubt they'll be willing to invest in this.
That's a *very* heavy statement.

Come on guys, let's try to avoid the knee-jerk reactions. You can't solve this problem with scanners everywhere. Let's say you manage to fully secure the airport (by X-raying all the cars approaching, why not?), you're just moving the problem elsewhere, as soon has you have a bottleneck there's a danger.
But let's say that you *fully* secure BRU.
Then they will attack the stations, you secure all the stations they will attack the subway, you secure the subway ? they will attack the fast foods, movies, bus, tramways....

And no, I don't want to go trough a X-ray each time I'm taking a bloody tramway. That's the definition of terror.
This is an intelligence problem imho.