Tintin Logo Jet Brussels Airlines (Kuifje)

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sdbelgium

Re: Tintin Logo Jet Brussels Airlines (Kuifje)

Post by sdbelgium »

OO-SNB landed @BRU at 20.07LT.

maynd

Post by maynd »

The Airbus A 320-214 of the Belgian company Brussels Airlines, registration OO-SNB, aircraft painted with the theme of the adventures of TINTIN, took off from Brussels bound to Lisbon on a flight scheduled air transpor with 144 passengers and 6 crew members on board.

On arrival in Lisbon the meteorology featured one day with clear skies, wind from 360º with 15 Kts gust of 25 Kts of intensity, temperature of 17º C and a QNH 1016 hPa.

The aircraft landed at Lisbon Int. Airport runway 03, having received instructions from the ATC (Air Traffic Controller) to taxi and parking at stand 114.

Entrance into the parking stand was carried out with the aid of Marshalling, the parking stand is equipped with an automatic guidance system, known as APIS (Aircraft Positioning and Information System), a laser-based technology, which identifies and guides the aircraft to stop in the correct point corresponding to its type, to disembark the passengers through the bridge. The APIS system did not identify the aircraft, not giving information to the pilot stop in position corresponding to the type of aircraft A320.
The aircraft stopped a few meters ahead having struck with the nacelle of the engine # 1 air inlet in the bridge that was in its parking position.

The passengers and crew were disembarked by the rear of the aircraft's rear stairs, not having
recorded any wound in passengers and crew members, resulting from the event.

Source: GPIAA http://www.gpiaa.gov.pt/upload/membro.i ... 006570.pdf

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Thank you for these clear explanations and welcome to Luchtzak, maynd!
André
ex Sabena #26567

Homo Aeroportus

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

Thank you Maynd.

Could it be that the "APIS" (nothing to do with the Advanced Passenger Info System", here the Visual Docking Guidance System) had again a difficulty to identify an aircraft wearing dark colours?

The same make of VDGS was in service at B Pier in BRU and had problems with some like CityBird dark green ....

But when it fails to identify the A/C type a message is displayed such as ERR or ESTOP for Emergency Stop and you do not enter the stand, waiting for a marshaller.
I don't understand either why continue going forward when you passed abeam the boarding bridge so long before.

Also if the bridge was well in its parked position as the Notice of Incident says, something is sub-optimal in the design of that stand as the bridge was way too close. The distance between the engine axis and the fuselage is only 3.75m.
The red line on the layout below is the "Stand Safety Line" and nothing may infringe it before the aircraft has come to a full stop.....
Airbus-AC_A320_01_May_2015.jpg
Looking forward to further interesting reading from GPIAA.

H.A.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Homo Aeroportus wrote: But when it fails to identify the A/C type a message is displayed such as ERR or ESTOP for Emergency Stop and you do not enter the stand, waiting for a marshaller.
I don't understand either why continue going forward when you passed abeam the boarding bridge so long before.
From what I heard that is what happened with the Tintin aircraft at some airport such as GVA, but in LIS the system just said to proceed forwards.

Lysexpat

Post by Lysexpat »

Whilst doing walkarounds I often see aircraft docking, I am amazed that the majority of pilots is just looking in front of them without checking the wing clearance.
As HA said: when you pass the airbridge its time to stop, whatever the marshaller or apis say!

Homo Aeroportus

RoMax wrote:
Homo Aeroportus wrote: But when it fails to identify the A/C type a message is displayed such as ERR or ESTOP for Emergency Stop and you do not enter the stand, waiting for a marshaller.
From what I heard that is what happened with the Tintin aircraft at some airport such as GVA, but in LIS the system just said to proceed forwards.
Interesting info. Thanks.

"Normally", the VDGS shows the aircraft type (introduced usually via the AODB, sometimes manually) and it is the Pilot's duty to cross-check.
See below Jepp for LIS. Out of date but the content is still OK.
VDGS at LPPT.jpg
Gnd could have introduced A321 (for SN ;) ) but if it did not appear to the Pilot it is more likely that the VDGS went banana. In this case it must then declare itself u/s (by displaying the ERR message as it may have been the case in GVA), but instead gave wrong distance information at LIS.

I really think it is worth checking this issue of dark colour livery.
The manufacturer may not spontaneously offer this explanation but airports should exchange their experiences better.

H.A.

Kapitein

Post by Kapitein »

Homo Aeroportus wrote:
The same make of VDGS was in service at B Pier in BRU and had problems with some like CityBird dark green ....
Indeed the ADGS systeem at the B-pier had this trouble also with some special livery's. Citybird, Royal Jordanian and from time to time the old American Airlines gave some troubles.

Here in BRU every arrival of OO-SNB will have a marshaller in standby at both A and B-pier to avoid such problems as in LIS

simulator

Post by simulator »

"Have a marshaller on standby on every arrival of OO-SNB in BRU"....

As mentioned in previous posts majority of pilots are 'fixated' on the guidance display, I wonder if the marshaller will have time to intervene / get attention of the pilots to make them stop in time should any situation out of the normal occur...
Wouldn't it be better to instruct the redcaps to push the STOP button in the airbridge should they notice any anomaly? This STOP information is then within a split second shown on the guidance system, prompting probably a faster reaction from the pilots....

my 2cts worth...

Freken

Post by Freken »

Next to Tintin, the second logo jet featuring Magritte and his famous "Oiseau De Ciel" will be unveiled in the coming months. And let's not forget the Red Devils plane shall we!

For some more information and a little preview, I'd like to redirect you to the Facebook page of SN. ;)

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Hello Freken. Welcome to Luchtzak and thanks for your first post.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Homo Aeroportus

I heard OO-SNB got a coat of special reflective paint on the nose to improve it being "seen" by radar-type VDGS.
Maybe still on trial as I flew back with her a couple of days ago and upon return to BRU A-Pier a marshaller was on stby (i.e. not in front but off-centreline as I could see him from my position).

H.A.

flightlover

Post by flightlover »

Homo Aeroportus wrote:I heard OO-SNB got a coat of special reflective paint on the nose to improve it being "seen" by radar-type VDGS.
Maybe still on trial as I flew back with her a couple of days ago and upon return to BRU A-Pier a marshaller was on stby (i.e. not in front but off-centreline as I could see him from my position).

H.A.
This is standard operation on dark coloured planes after they noticed the system isn't picking them up as it should. It will take some successful automated docking before that is changed.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

A question related to these logo jets from Brussels:
Any news on when their next project -the red devils jet- will be shown?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

The next project is Magritte, to be revealed on 21 March. The Red Devils plane will come later.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

sn26567 wrote:The next project is Magritte, to be revealed on 21 March. The Red Devils plane will come later.
I assume before Euro 2016...?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

The Tintin livery has been revealed as one of the 10 best airline liveries in the world:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/trave ... ealed.html
André
ex Sabena #26567