flightradar24 feeder

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

Acid-drop

flightradar24 feeder

Post by Acid-drop »

Hi Guys,

I just bought the necessary hardware to start feeding FR24.
The goal is to improve the low altitude coverage around LGG. (the high altitude coverage is already pretty good)

I wonder if anyone here has some experience with this already ? I got a few questions :)
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

KriVa

Re: flightradar24 feeder

Post by KriVa »

I do have some experience, I'm running an SBS-3 setup close to ANR ;)
Thomas

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

Apparently I never had to give my location, it only knows i'm "somewhere close to LGG".
Is that normal/expected ?
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

KriVa

Post by KriVa »

I guess that would depend on the software you use, and the hardware involved.
However, I did have to provide my coordinates to FR24. I distinctly remember this because I have had to update them earlier this week.
Thomas

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

ok ...
i'm using the windows feeder for now
A raspberry is on its way.

More info on the next episode then.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

It seems we have already 78 (!) radar in Belgium.
https://www.flightradar24.com/share-statistics
(filter on the country)

F-EBLG1 (that's not me) became recently on of the top radar of the country, I'd be very interested to discuss the antenna choice with the owner. This guy can see up to Paris almost ...
Out of 78 people, i would not be surprised to see more than a few on this forum.
Please identify yourself

KriVa

Post by KriVa »

I am on the list (T-EBOS21), but have been rather quiet the last month. My setup recently moved from EBOS to EBAW, and is rather low end, apart from the receiver itself.
While I'd like to get a decent antenna, I'm afraid installing it is not an option where the setup is located.
Thomas

Predixs

Post by Predixs »

Acid-drop wrote:It seems we have already 78 (!) radar in Belgium.
https://www.flightradar24.com/share-statistics
(filter on the country)

F-EBLG1 (that's not me) became recently on of the top radar of the country, I'd be very interested to discuss the antenna choice with the owner. This guy can see up to Paris almost ...
Out of 78 people, i would not be surprised to see more than a few on this forum.
Please identify yourself

Guilty ;)
Wouter C.

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

I suppose I might be suspect, as an avid user of Rpi's and other "open" and low cost IT systems - but I am not active in this area. My house near the EBBR 25 finals, I feel I could add little worthwhile data.

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

As for the chap near Liège who receives data from near Paris: from what altitudes is that? I'd not be surprised if the antenna applies vertical and/or horizontal limits.

KriVa

Post by KriVa »

To give you an idea:
My setup used to be located at the seaside, about 20-25 meters AMSL. With a clear view towards the North Sea, from Ostend, I used to be able to pick up aircraft flying as far as Manchester, from time to time. (FL320-FL400)
I was also able to receive most aircraft in the holding patterns for LHR.
Since then, my setup has moved away from that location, though.
Thomas

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

jan_olieslagers wrote:As for the chap near Liège who receives data from near Paris: from what altitudes is that? I'd not be surprised if the antenna applies vertical and/or horizontal limits.
The city of Liège goes from 58 (Meuse/Maas) to 238m altitude (near the University), quite a variation.
LGG is at 201m altitude, but that's the highest point, the track isn't flat.

I suspect F-EBLG1 has a decent altidude indeed. The higher you are, the best you can beat the curve of the earth.
My home is at 180m altitude, I have high expectation but I need a decent antenna. It's all about the antenna and the altitude of this antenna.
but maybe F-EBLG1 is even higher... who knows.

Thing is, I'm not so much interested by the range. I'm interested to pick low altitude flights around LGG and (maybe, but i doubt it) CRL. So I might just pick a very directional antenna for the job. But first I need to make sure I have a clear Line Of Sight to the airport, it's not that easy.
My house near the EBBR 25 finals, I feel I could add little worthwhile data.
It seems the air coverage is already quite good, but if you are really close it's nice to pick ground trafic.
Just buy this, it's cheap enough :)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201338088784

Predixs

Post by Predixs »

Acid-drop wrote:
My house near the EBBR 25 finals, I feel I could add little worthwhile data.
It seems the air coverage is already quite good, but if you are really close it's nice to pick ground trafic.
Just buy this, it's cheap enough :)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201338088784
I have that cheap antenna, really nice and amazingly cheap for premium FR24 ;)
And your helping the coverage a bit ;)
Wouter C.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

Scheiße.
It looks like I have some "little obstacles" in the way :/
http://www.fabrice-muller.be/divers/ter ... errils.jpg

Stij

Post by Stij »

You live above the Cointe tunnel?

Cheers,

Stij

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

no that's just "a picture".
I live in the north east.
But my LOS has to pass between 2 of those ... could work ... or not. Hard to say.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

T-EBLG13 is now running 24/7 on a raspberry pi.
Low altitude coverage is pretty bad as I still use the internal antenna...

I'm still thinking if I should buy this
http://shop.jetvision.de/epages/6480790 ... ucts/67120
the wife isn't motivated by having a big pole on the side of the house :p

Stij

Post by Stij »

Acid-drop wrote:http://shop.jetvision.de/epages/6480790 ... ucts/67120
the wife isn't motivated by having a big pole on the side of the house :p
I would receive a letter from my wife's attorney...
And the key to the house wouldn't work anymore...'

Cheers,

Stij

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

F-EBBR2 is now capable of picking some (not much) ground traffic from LGG.
I wonder what has changed.... Weather ? Different antenna ?

Hail Cyrilin

Post by Hail Cyrilin »

T-EBBR13 here ;).
Currently running raspberry pi with an indoor antenna. But going to a outdoor antenna soon !