Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Airbus A330

Re: BRU infrastructure: future

Post by Airbus A330 »

Atlantis wrote:
Airbus A330 wrote:P. S.: Can someone tell me the current capacity of FP3 :?:
Dear Airbus A330,

At this moment it has a capacity of 2400 car places
Wow! Almost the double in capacity & size then!

Thanks a lot! ;)

teach

Post by teach »

Atlantis wrote:moving stairs ... moving stairs
They're called escalators ;)

teach

Post by teach »

Airbus A330 wrote:2.100 additional parking places looks like a massive extension. :o
How will the car park be extended? By expanding the 6 levels to the West or with additional level(s) on the current surface (or both)?
I believe it'll be an extension to the west. I remember when the original building was announced, it was already mentioned that it was built with this 2100 place extension in mind.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Atlantis wrote:A huge renovation will also be the "lichtstraat" at the B concourse. It will be totally renovated and everything will comes on one single level. You don't need to take moving stairs anymore to go to the restaurant, etc. Everything will be on one level. Upstairs will be only offices of G4S and other related airport services.
Will that leave enough seats for people waiting for their aircraft?
André
ex Sabena #26567

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

sn26567 wrote:
Atlantis wrote:A huge renovation will also be the "lichtstraat" at the B concourse. It will be totally renovated and everything will comes on one single level. You don't need to take moving stairs anymore to go to the restaurant, etc. Everything will be on one level. Upstairs will be only offices of G4S and other related airport services.
The "Lichtstraat" is between the police check and and security check, where you have the shops, restaurants, etc. Not much seats there to wait for your aircraft and most people will not wait there. It will be a very nice new and modern place with all needed accomodation

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

sn26567 wrote:
I doubt that many people waited up there... It was a rather dull area. The only thing I'd be missing is the restaurant. Spent some time drinking coffee there when I worked at the airport ;)

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Atlantis wrote:At the end of the Connector they are constructing the new Beer Café. This will take a huge place where you had the former moving stairs after the security check. It will be a very pleasant area to sit and to drink a real good Belgian beer. At the same place there will come also a real Italian restaurant while the Quick restaurant will be totally refurbished.

A huge renovation will also be the "lichtstraat" at the B concourse. It will be totally renovated and everything will comes on one single level. You don't need to take moving stairs anymore to go to the restaurant, etc. Everything will be on one level. Upstairs will be only offices of G4S and other related airport services.
What will remain of our famous tunnel? A service tunnel? Or competely closed off?

thalenoi

Post by thalenoi »

Landed Sept 08 around 07.30 from DOH, e-gates were in test mode, not working really, many people waiting in chaotic order for "other passports"
I departed BRU Sept 18 to YUL and hated the "new" walk thru the B shopping mall, Jeeez how stupid is that, worse than BKK, can it be?
Landed Oct 1 from YUL around 8.50 and e-gates were a breeze, not many punters left at "other passports"
Leaving 14 Oct again, shaking my head already for that stupid shopping mall.
I don't go shopping to an airport....

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

thalenoi wrote:Landed Sept 08 around 07.30 from DOH, e-gates were in test mode, not working really, many people waiting in chaotic order for "other passports"
I departed BRU Sept 18 to YUL and hated the "new" walk thru the B shopping mall, Jeeez how stupid is that, worse than BKK, can it be?
Landed Oct 1 from YUL around 8.50 and e-gates were a breeze, not many punters left at "other passports"
Leaving 14 Oct again, shaking my head already for that stupid shopping mall.
I don't go shopping to an airport....
That so called "Stupid shopping mall" is only a few meters that you have to go through. It's even not big but a very small one.
If you don't agree with that so called "shopping mall" write your complaint then to the airport itself or is that too much asked? ;) ;)

Don't forget that the profit out of retail, one of the non-related aviation departments, is used to make the airport better. So better for the customer and their needs to make their journey pleasant, acceptable and good.
You are not alone on this airport. It's not build for you but it's build for everyone. Maybe hard words for you, a shock, but it's true.

Complaining and complaining we can read it everywhere, it's like on that very cheap journalism of HLN. But don't worry, the airport is a company who is doing AND working each day very hard to solve the problems and to make the journey pleasant.

If you don't like that, then I can offer you the VIP service, which you have to pay for, via the protocol. Then you will be dropped at the protocol, they take care about your passport and baggage, you only have some very excellent resting rooms, no "stupid shopping mall" and on top of that, they will bring you with a limo to the aircraft. So this airport is giving you options. The airport takes care about it's customers.

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

Atlantis wrote: That so called "Stupid shopping mall" is only a few meters that you have to go through. It's even not big but a very small one.
If you don't agree with that so called "shopping mall" write your complaint then to the airport itself or is that too much asked? ;) ;)
Wel said ! I take a flight every week at BRU and I can compare now this airport with ZRH or BCN ! It's really beter than before !
Hope they will open soon the new future access to B pier and decide the future West A Pier !
Waiting !

dna

Post by dna »

I arrived from PEK on Sep 1, used the e-gates and was through in 20 seconds! Long queues though for those who couldn't use the e-gates.

thalenoi

Post by thalenoi »

Atlantis wrote: That so called "Stupid shopping mall" is only a few meters that you have to go through. It's even not big but a very small one.
I first need to complain to AC for the misery of their self check in kiosk at YUL last week.
I did a web check in, printed my boarding card but could not drop my bags, had to go through kiosk check in scanning boarding card, answering questions and being rejected after passport scan, directed to info check in desk where no AC staff was to been seen, I spare you further details of the proceedings.

I I want to buy something in an airport shopping mall I will walk in a shop and buy whatever I want, but having to walk through a shop to go to a gate???

I am leaving BRU next week, you will hear me from the shopping mall, be assured :shock:

teach

Post by teach »

thalenoi wrote:I am leaving BRU next week, you will hear me from the shopping mall, be assured :shock:
LOL! What? He'll 'hear you from the shopping mall' (i.e. the one store you can walk through in one or two minutes)? What are you going to do? Yell at people? Throw a hissy fit?

BAAV

Post by BAAV »

I think one should look at this in its totality
The connector has brought in my opinion much more comfort and above all time gain including when passing through the shopping area. It is not ideal but a small sacrifice when comparing to these overall benefits

PS can somebody tell me what works are going on (since a while) once you passed the Kuifje space ship and area where you can buy water. It has been sealed off since a while and from the the Loft I can only see a large art piece?

Stij

Post by Stij »

BAAV wrote:
PS can somebody tell me what works are going on (since a while) once you passed the Kuifje space ship and area where you can buy water. It has been sealed off since a while and from the the Loft I can only see a large art piece?
A big Belgian Beer Cafe!

Cheers,

Stij

DannyVDB

Post by DannyVDB »

Yes indeed, there is a picture with a simulation of how it will look like on one of those seals ...

Regarding the shopping mall. Although I am usually not doing shopping either, the lay-out of it is very similar to what you find in other big airports in the world.

I even think sometimes it is the same company that develops these kind of airport zones (everywhere it is samen material, lay-out almost identical). I am sure the studied the effect on the sales and therefore they implement it everywhere :D

I don't bother, as long as the sales people do not try 'sell' actively, i.e. annoying me personally, it is fine for me.

So far, every development has been an improvement. There is a clear plan and balance between different things an airport should/can offers (pax and cargo, parkings, offices, shopping, ...).

Just my 2 cents,
Danny

b-west

Post by b-west »

The shop is a necessary evil I suppose, more and more airports are having this approach. The Brussels one is still rather small and you can get through it rather fast.

Connector is an improvement to be sure, there's just one bottleneck remaining for schengen pax: the corridor connecting topaas to terminal A . It is rather narrow and dark, especially as it is now in between two bright spots, corridor and terminal A. During rush hours it gets very cramped there, as both arriving and departing passengers all have to squeeze through.

Established02

Post by Established02 »

What is the purpose of this new tarmac?
Attachments
IMG_5532-2.jpg

Airbus A330

Post by Airbus A330 »

Established02 wrote:What is the purpose of this new tarmac?
Probably a 2nd tarmac for Abelag (for reducing or eliminating the need to park (heavy) VIP aircraft on the DHL apron)?

Stij

Post by Stij »

When you look at it with Google Earth and select the last areal taken, you see it's not really tarmac...

Cheers,

Stij