Lufthansa CEO: "SN could become part of Eurowings"

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

crew1990

Re: Lufthansa CEO: "SN could become part of Eurowings"

Post by crew1990 »

sn26567 wrote:Lufthansa Official: "Brussels Airlines does NOT become Eurowings or Brusselswings. Only co-operation is possible between Brussels Airlines and Eurowings. As is happening now at Austrian Airlines".
But what do they mean by cooperation, why having two company of the same company at the same airport while one is already installed and working?

If this is for another product like for example having a couple of regional aircraft of Eurowing operating on behalve on Brussels Airlines then this is ok, but if it's too offer the same product of SN then I don't understand it unless this is too kill Brussels Airlines and Eurowings/Lufthansa absorbing the whole market out of Brussels.

I really start to think it's time to get out of Lufthansa or at least do not let them going above the 45% of stake.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

sean1982 wrote:That's not what I am reading

http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/942/Economie/a ... ings.dhtml

Brussels airlines possibly changes names to Eurowings
If you read further than the URL, you will see that the title now says "Brussels Airlines verandert niet van naam". Brussels Airlines will not change its name. The article has been updated with the comments that I have written above.
André
ex Sabena #26567

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

crew1990 wrote: I really start to think it's time to get out of Lufthansa or at least do not let them going above the 45% of stake.
This is not possible. The contract runs untill 2017 with an option to purchase the remaining shares every year

Boeing767copilot

Post by Boeing767copilot »

original report: (in German)

http://www.aero.de/news-21972/Spohr-Eur ... offen.html

Reuters:
Lufthansa eyes Eurowings as platform for consolidation

Lufthansa (LHAG.DE) said it wants to use its expanded low-cost brand Eurowings as a platform for European consolidation, and it could potentially take in other Lufthansa units or part-owned stakes such as Brussels Airlines and Air Dolomiti.

The first plane with the new Eurowings branding, aimed at price-sensitive leisure tourists, will take off from Cologne to the Dominican Republic in November. From Jan. 1, it will replace the Germanwings brand.

Lufthansa Chief Executive Carsten Spohr said Europe's airlines needed to consolidate. Lufthansa wants to be a part of that process and sees Eurowings as the ideal platform, he said.

Eurowings is Lufthansa's answer to low-cost carriers such as Ryanair (RYA.I) and easyJet (EZJ.L). It will have an Austrian operating licence and is not bound by the group collective labour agreements at its Lufthansa and Germanwings brands.

Lufthansa owns a 45 percent stake in Brussels Airlines and had agreed that this would only be a first step towards a full takeover. Spohr said however it was not yet clear if and when a complete takeover would happen.

The airline also added it will keep its investment budget to 2.5 billion euros ($2.8 billion) a year until 2020.

Separately, Lufthansa and cabin crew union UFO are holding talks on whether to resume negotiations over pay and pensions in a bid to stave off what could be imminent strikes over the busy summer holiday season.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

I will post later who has launched those names "Brusselswings/Dolomitiwings". Actually it is not Spohr/Lufthansa, as suggested in the first post here...

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

sn26567 wrote:
sean1982 wrote:That's not what I am reading

http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/942/Economie/a ... ings.dhtml

Brussels airlines possibly changes names to Eurowings
If you read further than the URL, you will see that the title now says "Brussels Airlines verandert niet van naam". Brussels Airlines will not change its name. The article has been updated with the comments that I have written above.
That aint the same article I read 15 min ago :/

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

The article on HLN has been updated and reads now "Brussels Airlines will NOT change names"

;-)

Edit: Seems someone saw it already, but the original URL is still working which states the original in the URL itself but not in the article.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

I'm just as outraged as any SN employee probably is (but not entirely surprised ... Consolidation is the way forward. I could even see this happening to FR at some point)

BAAV

Post by BAAV »

It is probably useful to refer back to a German source i.e Handelsblatt (De Tijd of Germany, or FT of UK)
http://www.handelsblatt.com/unternehmen ... 86310.html
There is talk of the following:
1) Eurowings should take over other airlines as consolidation needs to occur in the aviation sector
2) Eurowings could do flights on behalf of other airlines including SN
3) It would appear number 2 can only occur if SN is fully owned by LH. It does not really say that Eurowings is to take over SN
I am happily corrected as to my German knowledge... but that is how I read it
Hence, as to SN it just means to me that the strategy used for LH or Austrian whereby Eurowings does flights for them would be rolled out to SN once it is fully owned by LH. That article does not talk about anything else like Brusselwings, etc

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

^^ It could become interesting if Eurowings could do some (European) flights on behalf of SN, so LH can invest more in the long haul network of SN with more and new planes (B777 like LX and OS for example)

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

http://www.lalibre.be/economie/actualit ... 85850ec79e

Un porte-parole allemand de Lufthansa, qui n'a pas assisté à la conférence de presse, a par la suite nuancé l'information. Si Lufthansa songe à une extension d'Eurowings, cela ne veut pas dire, selon lui, que Brussels Airlines doit entièrement disparaître. On envisagerait par contre de laisser Brussels Airlines opérer des vols à bas coûts depuis Bruxelles sous le nom et avec des appareils d'Eurowings, à côté de l'offre existante de Brussels Airlines.
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

It could be more interesting IMO if SN could do some flights on behalf of Eurowings, as the latest hln.be article mentionning the spokesperson that didn't assist to the press conference, suggests. For instance also some routes like MUC and FRA, where SN can offer more than LH.

But it's still weird how it's clearly written in the Handelsblatt article:
Andererseits lud er andere Gesellschaften ein, sich an Eurowings zu beteiligen oder ihre Flüge von der Lufthansa-Tochter vermarkten zu lassen.
Spohr denkt dabei auch an Brussels Airlines: Die belgische Fluglinie könnte auf diese Weise nach Jahren als Minderheitsbeteiligung komplett bei der Lufthansa landen. Der Vorstandschef nannte zudem die italienische Lufthansa-Regionaltochter Air Dolomiti.
http://www.handelsblatt.com/unternehmen ... 86310.html

Quite literally translated:
On the other hand it opens the door for other airlines to become part of Eurowings or to let their flights be marketed by the Lufthansa subsidiary.
Regarding this, Spohr also thinks about Brussels Airlines: the Belgian airline could in this way, after years as minority stakeholding, become completely part of Lufthansa. The CEO also named the Italian regional subsidiary Air Dolomiti.

According to this article it's quite unambiguous and is totally different from what we read in the updated hln.be report. Either way, we have to ask ourselves: with Eurowings starting longhaul flights, does it still make sense to duplicate everything under parallel brands, parallel back offices?
After all, about everything we hear coming from Germany nowadays is about saving money.
Yes, SN's brand has its own importance, but LH are really obsessed with their Eurowings brand... so if they have to invest, they'll probably be more interested in investing in that brand than in SN.

I really wonder if Tolipanebas and co will still have their jobs, let alone their seniorities...
Eurowings hires German pilots primarily.

Also, Africa out of BRU will start to feel more and more itchy for Eurowings... and some guy at some board meeting will eventually say "what SN can do out of BRU, Eurowings can also do from FRA or MUC, and better."

brusselsairlinesfan

Post by brusselsairlinesfan »

Dear All,

Unbelievable!!! Any further information would be appreciated. However, I don't think the code/name SN/brussels airlines will diseappear. After so many efforts made to enable this brand...

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

I didn't followed the whole story but in my opinion Lufthansa has total lack of respect towards Brussels Airlines and it's employees. We will see what will be, even they will fly only a few flights for Eurowings but where is smoke, there is fire. Also the recent developments on the African market in favor of LH doesn't give me good hope. Ok SN was increasing also the flights but the general developments are not making me optimistic.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Just for information, Lufthansa owns the web addresses "brusselswings.xxx" since over one year.

http://www.tijd.be/ondernemen/luchtvaar ... 1435666921
André
ex Sabena #26567

brusselsairlinesfan

Post by brusselsairlinesfan »

sn26567 wrote:Just for information, Lufthansa owns the web addresses "brusselswings.xxx" since over one year.

http://www.tijd.be/ondernemen/luchtvaar ... 1435666921
Incredible... would be interesting to know if they also own the web addresses austrianwings.xxx & swisswings.xxx ...

Lysexpat

Post by Lysexpat »

Some here seem to forget that SN has been kept artificially alive by state aid and loans/guarantees of LH. The only chance to survive is an integration in LH. LH will dictate the rules for such an integration otherwise there will be no integration at all, but whats in a name?

OO-ITR

Post by OO-ITR »

brusselsairlinesfan wrote:Finally! brussels airlines will keep its name!

http://www.lalibre.be/economie/actualit ... 598ca6457f
oh how embarrassing for those SN bashers. They were already full of joy and excitement based on an article in HLN. A newspaper that would be called unreliable and trash newspaper if they would write a negative article on Ryanair, but now in this case is the Holy Bible...

In Dutch we say : Verkoop de huid van de beer niet vooraleer hij geschoten is... which literally means : don't sell the bear's fur before it has been shot.

And whatever Brussels Airlines its name will be in the future, BrusselsWings, Germanwings, Eurowings, whateverwings... it will at least be 50 times more Belgian than any low costs of this world. Because with SN the vast majority in the BRU hub are actually...Belgian!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by moderator to remove racist remark, please refrain from racism...

epsilon

Post by epsilon »

OO-ITR wrote:
And whatever Brussels Airlines its name will be in the future, BrusselsWings, Germanwings, Eurowings, whateverwings... it will at least be 50 times more Belgian than ... and other low costs of this world. Because with SN the vast majority in the BRU hub are actually...Belgian!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
As Ryanair employee (and Belgian), I'm quite offended by that racist remark...

Edited by moderator to remove said racist remark.