Brussels Airlines Summer 2016 speculation.

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

crew1990

Brussels Airlines Summer 2016 speculation.

Post by crew1990 »

As the Summer 2016 is already open, I create that special one just to speculate about the futur development of the fleet, network and time table of SN.

My bet will be that the next destination next summer for Brussels Airlines will be

Palma de Mallorca (PMI)
This is to me the next destination to be opened after having open Ibiza this year, it would be a good destination in cooperation of Thomas Cook.

Antalya (AYT)
One of the most important tourist destination for Belgian, SN already operate some charter flight on behalf of Thomas Cook, Club Med and Sunweb.

Thessaloniki (SKG)
This is the second biggest city of Greece, there is no direct flight yet I think, and could be have a code share agreement with Aegean.

Nantes (NTE)
It would be another good addition in the SN network in France.

Genoa (GOA)
Another important city in Italy with great potential and no direct concurrence.

Bremen (BRE) (with night stop)
To fortify the Germany network with a code share agreement with Lufthansa.

For the long haul destination and if a A330 is added to the fleet. I would say

Accra (ACC), Bamako (BKO), Lagos (LOS) if addition in Africa

Montreal (YUL) if addition in North America

OO-ITR

Re: Brussels Airlines Summer 2016 speculation.

Post by OO-ITR »

As for long haul destinations, I would say that BOS is also a valuable option...

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

I dont think Air Canada will transfer the route to SN and don't forget during the summer period there's already Air Transat which flies with the A310. maybe an evening flight to EWR would be interesting from Brussels.

maybe for the summer 2016 there will be no more Thomas Cook and all flights could be operated by SN by that time ..
Citybird
The flying dream

SN501

Post by SN501 »

Good evening,
crew1990 wrote: Thessaloniki (SKG)
This is the second biggest city of Greece, there is no direct flight yet I think, and could be have a code share agreement with Aegean.
This route is already seasonally operated by Aegean and Jetairfly.

rwandan-flyer

Post by rwandan-flyer »

About Accra and Bamako, the airline served these 2 cities, few years ago, but flights were quickly suspended.
Rwanda Aviation News (Drones, Air Force, Civil Aviation, Space, Air Balloon): https://www.facebook.com/RwandAn-Flyer-153177931456873

airbuske

Post by airbuske »

I'm quiet sure that ACC will be soon back ;)
Best regards,

Airbuske

asianlao02

Post by asianlao02 »

In l'echo ( newspaper) Brussels airport said the most wanted destinations are : San Francisco, Houston, Sao Paulo, Johannesburg, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Singapore.
Lax is not interesting?
I can see HKG because CX will focus to open new EU destinations in 2016 with a350. But with the proximity with DUS i don't know.... but ANA made it then everything is possible

theeuropean

Post by theeuropean »

asianlao02 wrote:I can see HKG because CX will focus to open new EU destinations in 2016 with a350.
I read about a year ago an article of Cathay Pacific future A350 destinations BRU was mentioned as well as CPH. I will try and find it and post the link.

asianlao02

Post by asianlao02 »

theeuropean wrote:
asianlao02 wrote:I can see HKG because CX will focus to open new EU destinations in 2016 with a350.
I read about a year ago an article of Cathay Pacific future A350 destinations BRU was mentioned as well as CPH. I will try and find it and post the link.
i readed it in another forum a month ago too. BRU and CPH was mentionned. IMO Tel Aviv will get the a350 first ;)

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

asianlao02 wrote:In l'echo ( newspaper) Brussels airport said the most wanted destinations are : San Francisco, Houston, Sao Paulo, Johannesburg, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Singapore.
Lax is not interesting?
I can see HKG because CX will focus to open new EU destinations in 2016 with a350. But with the proximity with DUS i don't know.... but ANA made it then everything is possible
They would like that United is going to operate the Houston route.
San Francisco is not sure but this would be a route for Brussels Airlines if they have the aircraft for that.

Sao Paulo is a destination that you have to keep an eye on. More at the end of this year that airport will decide which of the 9 or 10 new European destinations they will add. So BRU can be. So keep your eyes open.

Johannesburg is totally unsure at this moment.

Shanghai was/is a route for Hainan but at this moment no potential.

Hong Kong is high on the list but no further details for the moment.

Singapore is also a destination where you have to keep open your eyes. Singapore Airlines is again showing interest in opening a direct route to BRU. They were talking about it a couple of weeks but they have also an other European destination on their list. So keep your eyes open

asianlao02

Post by asianlao02 »

Atlantis wrote:
asianlao02 wrote:In l'echo ( newspaper) Brussels airport said the most wanted destinations are : San Francisco, Houston, Sao Paulo, Johannesburg, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Singapore.
Lax is not interesting?
They would like that United is going to operate the Houston route.
San Francisco is not sure but this would be a route for Brussels Airlines if they have the aircraft for that.

Sao Paulo is a destination that you have to keep an eye on. More at the end of this year that airport will decide which of the 9 or 10 new European destinations they will add. So BRU can be. So keep your eyes open.

Singapore is also a destination where you have to keep open your eyes. Singapore Airlines is again showing interest in opening a direct route to BRU. They were talking about it a couple of weeks but they have also an other European destination on their list. So keep your eyes open
Thanks Atlantis for the precious informations.
i agree with you for Shanghai and Johannesburg. no potential for the moment.
If SN want to go to SFO, they'll need atleast 2 planes if they want to fly it daily i think Do you know why SFO (united hub) and not LAX?

Of course time will tell.

Stij

Post by Stij »

asianlao02 wrote:If SN want to go to SFO, they'll need atleast 2 planes if they want to fly it daily i think Do you know why SFO (united hub) and not LAX?
One plane is enough if you "connect" it to for example New York.

It could be something like

BRU 9:15 11:05 SFO
SFO 13:05 8:30 BRU

BRU 10:30 12:50 JFK
JFK 17:50 7:15 BRU

SFO is a major United Star Hub, LAX isn't.

Cheers,

Stij

EDIT: example added

asianlao02

Post by asianlao02 »

thanks a lot for the explanations :-)

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

Atlantis wrote: San Francisco is not sure but this would be a route for Brussels Airlines if they have the aircraft for that.

For San Francisco I doubt that SN will invest so much in a West coast destination, at least not before they are sure that other destination than New york can be succesfull, so San francisco, yes but not in the short term I guess.

Sao Paulo could be a good destination but does SN have the right aircraft for that route as they used to do a stop in DKR for the red devil flight.

Why is Johanesbourg unsure for the moment?

I agree with Shanghai

Hong Kong,great potential but i don't see SN flying there on their own

Singapour is definitely a new destination which will come, but i think that singapour airlines will fly it, not SN

asianlao02

Post by asianlao02 »

If i understanded correctly ( Atlantis post), SN will fly to SFO with SN aircraft and let the others destinations for the future partners ;)

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

And Tehran ?

BRU

Post by BRU »

Despite all the constructive planning options possible, do not think we will soon see a flight / turnaround of more than 24hours in the schedule. All destinations they are looking at for the next years will be in that range: it has to be possible to fly them within 24 hours, including ground times, line maintenance etc.

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

-Regarding Brazil, there is now also a new possibility for the future. I don't know if this is something they have been considering:
ANA coming to BRU opens up the fifth freedom option, with ANA operating the BRU-Brazil sector in codeshare with SN... and offering direct flights between Japan and Brazil, something both NH and JL have been mulling for a long time (via NYC).
This could be significant as Japanese airlines are now reliant on their North American and Brazilian partners to operate the U.S.-Brazil sectors, resulting in lower standards of service and less than ideal connections for their pax. The demand for Japan-Brazil is significant, given the Japanese diaspora of over 1 million people.

The great circle detour NRT-GRU via BRU is just 3.4% and schedule-wise it works out perfectly as the aircraft can come back just on time from GRU to fly on to NRT.

This way they can go for a full-sized B77W or B777-9 on the route, while also benefitting from revenue from the BRU-GRU sector and significant cargo revenue on all sectors.

SQ was considering BRU for a 5th freedom route to GRU, but finally chose BCN and I think that they made a mistake.

-JNB ok but ideally with a stop in FBM. This way they can fly it with A330's and support Korongo at the same time on the FBM-JNB route, creating a real intercontinental hub at FBM.

-SFO: steer clear from this overhyped route. Everybody and their mother are opening flights to SFO, creating an artifial oversupply against the demand. The city itself is living a crazy tech bubble and resulting real estate bubble that will burst at the first sign of an earthquake. There isn't enough business O&D and you need more than an aircraft to fly the route, even if you tag-on from JFK. I think that lessons from JFK and IAD show that the transatlantic is an overcrowded market where it's impossible to make money from secondary cities like BRU or CPH.

Hong Kong: I don't see CX coming to BRU. An A350XWB is already overkill for such a route and there is no feeding on the BRU end. If CX operated combi's I could see this becoming more interesting.
For SN this should work, with partnership from Hainan subsidiary Hong Kong Airlines.
This is one of those routes that you know is going to make money, but you just don't know how much until you actually do it.

Singapore: If SQ operate the route, it will probably be with tag-on 5th freedom to the Americas. I don't see SN venturing on this route just like this.

SN itself IMO should focus on Africa and regional markets in neighboring countries, especially France and U.K., while trying to pull in Air China for PEK and PVG.

asianlao02

Post by asianlao02 »

nobody make money from Bru to USA? They have to stop now then ☺
Cx will open dusseldorf and they will have no feed.
I have to admit I like yours ideas but it's a little strange for me.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

asianlao02 wrote:If i understanded correctly ( Atlantis post), SN will fly to SFO with SN aircraft and let the others destinations for the future partners ;)
Indeed, that's what I mean, only SFO on the radar of Brussels Airlines.