B-pier and connector : is the first pier (stand) definitely out of use ?

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

yannicksairbus

B-pier and connector : is the first pier (stand) definitely out of use ?

Post by yannicksairbus »

Can this pier ever be used now they have marked the new road on the apron?
Yannicksairbus
Attachments
connector (1).jpg
Last edited by yannicksairbus on 29 Jan 2015, 11:35, edited 1 time in total.
no-one can resist the desire to escape to paradise but is seems like there's nothing else to do than dream and fantasize...

RoMax

Re: B-pier and connector : is the first pier definitely out of use ?

Post by RoMax »

I'm not sure I understand your question, they closed down one of the stands/gates of Pier B yes (maybe more, out of sight?), but that doesn't mean they closed Pier B. BRU wouldn't be able to handle all the traffic without that pier as they don't have enough other non-Schengen facilities (except for zone T which is only for SN long haul departures).

yannicksairbus

Post by yannicksairbus »

No , if just want to know if they can still use this pier in the picture now the road is so close to the pier. Is it still possible to park a plane here ?
no-one can resist the desire to escape to paradise but is seems like there's nothing else to do than dream and fantasize...

airbuske

Post by airbuske »

The B04 is out of use for one year. You see they marked the new road and a new construction zone.
They need to built a new building for passengers going from B to A via the connector.

In the first phase the connector will be only for local passengers , passengers going from B to A will still need
to use the tunnel under the tarmac.

Opening of the connector , will be for april 2015.
Best regards,

Airbuske

yannicksairbus

Post by yannicksairbus »

thanks.
Yannicksairbus

b-west

Post by b-west »

airbuske wrote:The B04 is out of use for one year. You see they marked the new road and a new construction zone.
They need to built a new building for passengers going from B to A via the connector.

In the first phase the connector will be only for local passengers , passengers going from B to A will still need
to use the tunnel under the tarmac.

Opening of the connector , will be for april 2015.
Thanks! I was wondering what was going on at B04. Seemed a bit strange to put a gate out of use at the B-terminal who's overcrowded in the morning, even if it could only be used for narrow bodies.

BA must be miffed that they lost their regular gate. A couple of weeks ago I saw them over at B38 even, I was wondering what they did to upset the airport :lol:

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

yannicksairbus wrote:No , if just want to know if they can still use this pier in the picture now the road is so close to the pier. Is it still possible to park a plane here ?
Well yes, as I said, they closed down one stand, but that doesn't mean they can't use the pier anymore. There is a difference between one stand and a whole pier. I think you mean it well, but phrase it a bit weird. ;)
But meanwhile Airbuske specified it with the exact number and the reason why (phase 2 of the Connector).

To Airbuske, when is phase 2 of the Connector (so for B Pier bound pax) planned to open? I think I read earlier that it would be sometime in Q3 of 2015, but in that case isn't the close of B04 of 1 year not a bit long?

Atlantis

Re: B-pier and connector : is the first pier (stand) definitely out of use ?

Post by Atlantis »

The construction of that "extra" building is called "The Cathedral". It will be build on that excisting building who you can see next or in front of the Connector. That's why you can see in front on the Connector those white panels.
That's to transfer the pax from the A pier to the B pier and vs.

Stij

Post by Stij »

Atlantis wrote:The construction of that "extra" building is called "The Cathedral".
Sounds nice!

Any renderings?

Cheers,

Stij

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

No rendering available

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

I guess (hope) they make it like the section across at the Topaaz building...

yannicksairbus

Post by yannicksairbus »

and what about the view from WingTips restaurant ? Do you look at the roof of Connector or is it even worse ?

KriVa

Post by KriVa »

The view from the Wingtips restaurant is obstructed significantly. You can still see all the movements between the A and B-pier, but the view on the DHL Apron is rather obstructed, unless you move all the way to the left in the restaurant.
Thomas

flightlover

Post by flightlover »

Idd, and that will not improve by te final phase of the connector. Unless they are going to make the roof a terrace.

The vieuw to DHL is obstructed, not only at the restaurant but also at the connector. The whole side of the building is cladded with wired mesh plating. Just good to let the sunlight in and obstruct the vieuw to the, for the general public, less attractive cargo and DHL platforms.

Btw: Are they planning on resurfacing the survice drives any time soon? It gets killing for the back when driving on them with handling equipement. Which, in general, have no suspension what so ever.

mad_fab

Post by mad_fab »

airbuske wrote:The B04 is out of use for one year. You see they marked the new road and a new construction zone.
Are you sure? Because there was a notam that expired in 10/2014 saying "STANDS 204 206 208 AVAILABLE VIA BYPAS FROM TWY R4"

"EUECYIYN A1954/14 N EBBU QMPXX IV M A 000 999 5054N00429E005 EBBR 1409261200 1410241400 STANDS 204 206 208 AVAILABLE VIA BYPAS FROM TWY R4
"

flightlover

Post by flightlover »

B04 is out off use as a gate due to thee temporary service drive, but the unused part is heavily used to store ground equipement.

In a way it is an improvement to the preparation zone on the stands in use.