Terror alert in Belgium, consequences for BRU

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Inquirer

Terror alert in Belgium, consequences for BRU

Post by Inquirer »

The Belgian government has put Belgium on high alert after the anti-terror raids of last night.
Can we thus expect increased measures and extra waiting time at the airport?

Sabena320

Re: Terror alert in Belgium, consequences for BRU

Post by Sabena320 »

I don't think they will suddenly solve their security leaks. At best we'll see more visible 'security' so that it at least looks like that they are dealing with it.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

'Security' at airports is about giving the feeling of safety and security anyway. If you actually try, you will have a very hard time finding any airport in the world which is perfectly safe in terms of security (I remember a recent trial at FRA which proved that they didn't even had to try very hard to smuggle weapons etc. through security screening). It's all about taking away as many threats as financially viable and giving the impression of security to the passengers (to keep them calm and make them feel 'safe'/'secure') and people with potential dangerious intentions (to discourage them to take action).
In my opinion it's not smart at all to inform people about failing security at airports, that only brings up bad ideas with certain crazy people (the big guys will not be scared away by it anyway, but I'm talking about the more amateuristic 'terrorists')

Probably there will be more visible security staff at the airport and they might do some additional background screening of people/buildings/goods that pose a high threat.

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

If the terrorists really have as bad intentions as the government claims, any measures would be useless.
But as long as they are supposedly killing 10 people who were their allies more than their friends, I doubt that we need to be worried.

If anything, people could get their mother in laws killed, have the killer shout Allah Uakbar as he escapes, and it would be blamed on IS/Al Qaida/Lybian extremists/Taliban. It would erase all suspicion.

If they really had bad intentions, airports and airlines are sitting ducks anyway.

b720

Post by b720 »

We are all sitting ducks!!! Our governments should have thought twice before supporting terrorists overthrow the official government in Syria.. Anyway, no politics here..
The best security measures are preemtive ones.. As mentioned above, the airport and airliners flying into and out of our airports are soft targets.. the best way to protect is to have an efficient and very active inteligence service that strikes and eliminates terror before it takes place, like what happened yesterday.. time will tell, I hope we shall be spared those horrible attacks.

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

A consequence (perhaps temporary) is that quite a few people now hesitate to book a holiday in a muslim country.
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

JOVAN

Post by JOVAN »

Not very long ago there have been several robberies at the airport, with the purpose of stealing diamonds and other valuables. This actually happened next to the planes.

BRU has shown at this (and other occasions..) that it is not aa safe airport.

Robbers can enter easily, so can terrorists.....

On top of this robbers want to escape, terrorist do not mind about dying....

Bruspotter

Post by Bruspotter »

Hi

JOVAN, all considered even if so ... it's just a simple fact that you can't keep making things more and more strict untill a certain moment it doesn't matter anymore, nothing ever is 100% safe .. and nor will it ever be.
That considered, strengthening certain measures is wise, but to one that knows the ins & outs, it is never been, and never will be a big issue getting in an airport, getting in about anywhere in fact ... especially if you throw all your resources and your own life in it, unfortunatly these things keep happen, how bad it also sounds ...

Just hope and pray it doesn't just happen anytime soon ... and believe me, I've seen these things also ... also having worked on some major international airports so far ... it's strict, but still not watertight .. why ...? Because it's undoable to work there anyway then ...

Greets, ;)

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

What is strict?
I won't propagate any idea's but it's child's play to get into and out of any European airport unnoticed and with a full arsenal to make Rambo jalous. In fact you don't need to get into the airport to do serious damage.

Like I said before, first they wage reckless wars, then they are surprised that the war has come to their own homes.

But if they were that bad, they would have done it a long time ago.
Don't believe everything they say on the news.

If anything, Ebola is a bigger problem.
The total number of reported cases is more than 21,373.

The World Health Organization (WHO) admits the figures are underestimates, given the difficulty collecting the data. WHO officials this week discovered scores of bodies in a remote diamond-mining area of Sierra Leone, raising fears that the scale of the Ebola outbreak may have been underreported.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-28755033