2015 Liège Airport (LGG/EBLG) latest news

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sn26567

2015 Liège Airport (LGG/EBLG) latest news

Post by sn26567 »

Niki Terzakis has left TNT Airways on 1 January 2015. He was the CEO of the airline and he was instrumental in moving it from Cologne/Bonn to Liège, where it started with 600 employees on 2 March 1998. The company now employs 2300 persons at the airport.

There are not one, but two successors: Marc Bollinne et Lars Jordahn.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Acid-drop

Re: 2015 Liège Airport (LGG/EBLG) latest news

Post by Acid-drop »

Ethiopian will move 4 flights per week to BRU.
With the move or Qatar cargo, it's a second setback.

The reason is unknown but it's most likely because of belly cargo in BRU.

We have to note that the spin doctor war is on, each airport communicates about being the best to africa and BRU don't hesitate to mention qatar cargo in the belga press release.
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Acid-drop wrote:Ethiopian will move 4 flights per week to BRU.
With the move or Qatar cargo, it's a second setback.

The reason is unknown but it's most likely because of belly cargo in BRU.

We have to note that the spin doctor war is on, each airport communicates about being the best to africa and BRU don't hesitate to mention qatar cargo in the belga press release.
Are those flights flown with their B777? Which routes exactly will be transfered to BRU?

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

No idea...
Apparently the source is flows magazine
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Hm I just saw it too but could only read a small part of it as you have to pay for that article.
What is visible on that small part is that they will use the new B777F ex-BRU

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

560 000 tonnes of cargo in 2014, +5%.
(the final exact number isn't known yet)

As mentioned last year :
We clearly see that LGG had a slowdown in the last few years. Belly cargo is gaining interest, the global fleet of 777 is changing the game.
Very interesting read:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-06-2 ... -jets.html

LGG that is dedicated to full frighters has now a real challenge and we get this communication
http://www.cargoforwarder.eu/2014/10/13 ... -airports/

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,

Seems BMI regional will operate two daily returns to MUC, hub feeder flights...
Timeshedule doesn't offer business dayreturns possibilities...
Codeshare LH?

CXB
New types flown 2022.. A339

cathay belgium

BD introduces LGG-MUC

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,

LGG can welcome a new airliner in 2015, pax !
BD,British Midland Regional, will start up a two daily LGG-Munich flight from 29 march!
Fares starting from 39 euro outward and 69 inward,...
Flights are already bookable on their site!

CXB

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

cathay belgium wrote:Hi,

Seems BMI regional will operate two daily returns to MUC, hub feeder flights...
Timeshedule doesn't offer business dayreturns possibilities...
Codeshare LH?

CXB
MUC-LGG with timings that don't fit business traffic? No doubt it's a LH codeshare, I can't see them launching such a route without a codeshare. Since 2014 BMI started cooperating again with the LH Group (SN and LH) and looking for other opportunities in Europe to deploy their fleet. They found one like that in Scandinavia and maybe more of which I'm not aware, this could be a logic next step if LH wants such a route, but doesn't have the right aircraft to do it themself (or thinks it's way too costly to do it themself).

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,

Still strange in this case that LH doesn't have the small aircraft theirselves... CRJ7 as smallest ?
But let others operate it for them !
Why did they let Augsburgs airways go bankrupt with their fleet of DH8Q4 and E195 ?
In the past they had CRJ2 for these operations.
Is a leased E145/135 that more economic...
It must be but I can't see it ...

CXB

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

cathay belgium wrote:Hi,
Still strange in this case that LH doesn't have the small aircraft theirselves... CRJ7 as smallest ?
But let others operate it for them !
For high cost airlines like LH, it's no longer economical to operate small jets, even when it's by their regional divisions. 50-seaters have become obsolete in Europe, the 70-seaters will be next (in the US the 50-seaters are now also going out). For the few routes that really don't justify aircraft with more than 50 seats and where you can't compromise on frequency, it's better to use wet-lease operations, like SN is doing. Or like more to the north you have Flybe Nordic operating the Embraer fleet of Finnair while that company is only 40% owned by Finnair.
cathay belgium wrote: Why did they let Augsburgs airways go bankrupt with their fleet of DH8Q4 and E195 ?
The E195's were transfered to other parts of Lufthansa Regional, the Q400 fleet was no longer wanted by LH. Augsburg went bankrupt because LH stopt the contract with them (same with Contact Air and I believe it happened longer ago with some other small German regional operators), so obviously LH for some reason didn't need that carrier anymore. Fewer contractors, less low-capacity aircraft, etc. It all makes sense for an airline trying to save costs.

It suprises me that AF (Hop!) is holding on to the 50-seaters so much while their operations are loss making. Probably too many routes that can't be upgraded to higher capacity aircraft, but having a loss making operation is not helping either.

Stij

Re: BD introduces LGG-MUC

Post by Stij »

Could work if they can codeshare with LH for connections. Just PtP will be a bit thin I think...

But congratulation anyway!!!

Is this the first "real" (as on daily) scheduled flight since Sabena's to London via Crl?

Cheers,

Stij

Stij

Post by Stij »

I'm afraid the reason the schedule is so not business oriented is not connections to LH, but that Liège fills the schedule of the two aircraft they will base in MUC:
Rotterdam: early morning rotation, ..., afternoon rotation, evening rotation
Bern: early morning rotation, late morning rotation, ..., evening rotation
Liège: the rest: late morning rotation, afternoon rotation

The fact that they operate from MUC's terminal 1 what complicates transfers to LH, implies to me that they'll try it PTP, which will be very difficult with that schedule...

Cheers,

Stij

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

super weird ...
we have seen that this kind of route from MST or ANR are failing one after the other...
Munich isn't exactly a tourist destination either ...
A route to Nice, Barcelona or London could live from Liège, but munich...

Munich – Liege Up to 2 daily

Code: Select all

BM1721 MUC1010 – 1130LGG ER3 x7
BM1723 MUC1415 – 1545LGG ER3 x6

BM1722 LGG1155 – 1310MUC ER3 x7
BM1724 LGG1625 – 1745MUC ER3 x6
That is some real stupid schedule.
I bet this route will fail even before it starts, just by lack of bookings.
(unless they find a good trick to fly cargo. 757 combi ? heheh)

ER3 => Embraer ERJ 135 ?

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Acid-drop wrote:super weird ...
we have seen that this kind of route from MST or ANR are failing one after the other...
Very strange choice indeed!
They'd be better off trying to link MUC with LUX or if they dare to go head on with the German airlines in Germany proper, why not DUS, Köln, etc? Aachen isn't that far away, maybe that's what they are hoping for?
Acid-drop wrote:A route to Nice, Barcelona or London could live from Liège, but Munich...
I think much has to do with the fact they have a plane available in MUC anyway like Stij mentioned, and are simply trying to find a good route for it during those couple of quite hours? As such, I can understand what they are doing it, but I just don't see the slightest hint of an unserved market in Liege, really.
I join those who doubt this route will last for very long.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

to be complete, let's mention that Liège-Munich takes 6h with the german high speed train, with only 1 change.

Boeing767copilot

Post by Boeing767copilot »

Basis in München samt Lufthansa-Codeshare
Weitere Strecken, die von BMI Regional ab München neu aufgenommen werden sollen sind: Rotterdam und Liege. Die Regionalfluggesellschaft errichtet damit eine Basis auf dem Franz-Josef-Strauß-Flughafen und wird von dort aus die Destinationen Bern, Bristol, Rotterdam und Liege bedienen. Lufthansa wird den LH-Code auf sämtliche Flüge von BMI Regional ab München legen. Darüberhinaus verfügt der Embraer-Betreiber auch über zahlreiche Interline-Abkommen mit anderen Fluggesellschaften.

http://www.austrianaviation.net/news-re ... al-an.html

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Ah, this explains a lot!
So they are basically going to codeshare with and feed Lufthansa - MUC, similar as to how they are codeshareing and feeding BRU from several of the smaller regional UK destinations.
I still doubt the Liege-Munich route will see much passengers ending their trip in MUC; most will simply continue on the vast Lufthansa (long distance) network then, but al least it does offer the prospect of decent loads now.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

except that it's unlikely anyone type LGG as the starting point in a search engine for a trip to thailand...