Strikes affecting Belgian airports in 2014-2015

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sn26567

Re: Strikes affecting Belgian airports

Post by sn26567 »

Eurocontrol release:

Operators are advised of possible Industrial action affecting Belgium airports on 15th December:

All Belgium airports might be impacted. Both ATC and Airside operational personnel might participate.

The real impact of the strikes on ATC Operations (all flights to/from Belgium airports, plus all overflights crossing Belgium airspace (below FL245) is unknown at this stage.

More accurate information is expected to be available with 24 hours notice
André
ex Sabena #26567

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

sn26567 wrote:National transportation strike in Italy on 12th Dec 2014:

The planned actions are as follows:

ENAV ATC personnel strike 0900-1700 UTC
NOTAM A7928

Italian Airports personnel strike 0900-1700 UTC

Alitalia personnel (+ pilots) strike 1100-1500 UTC
André, is this still up to date ?
I'll fly LIN-BRU at 17h45 ... i wonder what kind of mess I should expect.
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Acid-drop wrote:
sn26567 wrote:National transportation strike in Italy on 12th Dec 2014:

The planned actions are as follows:

ENAV ATC personnel strike 0900-1700 UTC
NOTAM A7928

Italian Airports personnel strike 0900-1700 UTC

Alitalia personnel (+ pilots) strike 1100-1500 UTC
André, is this still up to date ?
I'll fly LIN-BRU at 17h45 ... i wonder what kind of mess I should expect.
I am not aware of a strike cancellation. But in Italy not all strikes are followed at 100%. Be prepared and good luck.
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

National strike in Belgium on 15 December

So far, 38% of all flights at Brussels Airport have been cancelled due to the national strike this Monday 15 Dec. Contact your airline for more information.

Brussels Airlines will cancel 86 flights (40% of its European offer), but all long-haul flights will be maintained. More here: https://www.aviation24.be/airlines_press_r ... -december/

Jet Airways today announced cancellation of two flights to Newark via Brussels and re-routed two others to Toronto through Paris on December 15 due to a general strike called by all major trade unions in Belgium.

Jetairfly will divert all its flights to airports in neighbouring countries (Maastricht, Lille for short- and medium-haul, Amsterdam/Schiphol for long-haul). Jetairfly will provide coaches for the transportation to/from these airports.
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Reminder: Transport strike in Italy today. Many flights cancelled or delayed. Check with your airline.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Zorba

Post by Zorba »

Belgocontrol, the ATS provider in Belgium, will go on strike as from Sunday 10PM for 24h.
Tot hier en verder

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Zorba wrote:Belgocontrol, the ATS provider in Belgium, will go on strike as from Sunday 10PM for 24h.
To put it exactly, the ACV/CSC-Transcom union of Belgocontrol will go on strike. Therefore it is expected that there will be no air traffic at all in Belgium on 15 December.

A pity! One could have hoped that airspace over Belgium would have remained open, since Charleroi Airport was expected to function normally at 100% and Brussels Airport at perhaps 50% (Liège Airport was going to be closed anyway. I don't know what were the expectations for Ostend and Antwerp).
André
ex Sabena #26567

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

sn26567 wrote:
Zorba wrote:Belgocontrol, the ATS provider in Belgium, will go on strike as from Sunday 10PM for 24h.
To put it exactly, the ACV/CSC-Transcom union of Belgocontrol will go on strike. Therefore it is expected that there will be no air traffic at all in Brelgium on 15 December.
Brolgium ? :)
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

sn26567 wrote:Reminder: Transport strike in Italy today. Many flights cancelled or delayed. Check with your airline.
Lin-bru with sn, no delay
Lin-bru with alitalia, 2h delay

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

National strike in Belgium on 15 December

Operators are advised that NM will be having a teleconference with the surrounding ANSP's this evening. This conference is to discuss the impact of any strike action and the contingency plans if required. After this conference takes place, NM will arrange a conference on Saturday for AO's to explain what has been put in place , with a summary and recording on the NOP.

Operators are advised of a planned national Industrial action affecting all Belgium on 15th December:

All Belgian airports might be impacted. Both ATC and Airside operational personnel might participate.

The real impact of the strikes on ATC Operations (all flights to/from Belgian airports, plus all overflights crossing Belgian airspace (below FL245) is unknown at this stage.

More accurate information is expected to be available with 24 hours notice.

(Source: Eurocontrol)
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

The Association of European Airlines (AEA) strongly condemns the strike of Belgian ATC next Monday. Passengers and cargo will be hijacked for a non aviation related social agenda.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

So, what's the final decision now for tomorrow?
We know that Belgian airlines have decided to basically cancel all their flights and/or move abroad for the day, but how about foreign airlines operating to Belgium?
Is there an oversight already what they are doing?

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

15 Déc - Grève Nationale - Belgique
Nous avons le regret d’informer les passagers qu’à cause d’une une grève nationale en Belgique le 15 Décembre Ryanair a été contraint d'annuler les vols ci-dessous.
Cette grève nationale pouvant également affecter les vols survolant Belgique, nous nous attendons à de nouveaux retards et annulations de vols.
Les clients voyageant le 15 Décembre seront mis à jour sur l'état de leur vol par e-mail et / ou le numéro de téléphone mobile fourni lors de la réservation. Vous pouvez également suivre le statut de votre vol en ligne.

Liste des vols annulés:
http://www.ryanair.com/fr-be/info-voyage/
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Inquirer wrote:We know that Belgian airlines have decided to basically cancel all their flights and/or move abroad for the day, but how about foreign airlines operating to Belgium?
Most airlines have cancelled their flights. Jet Airways has cancelled two flights and re-routed two other flights through Paris CDG (and not Amsterdam!).
André
ex Sabena #26567

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

Jetairfly will divert all its flights to and from Belgian airports to alternative airports beyond the Belgian frontier : Maastricht (Netherlands), Lille (France) and for the long haul flights Amsterdam/Schiphol (Netherlands). The involved passengers will be informed in advance of the timing and meeting point for their alternative flight. Jetairfly organises coach transfers to and from the alternative airports.
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

LJ

Post by LJ »

Inquirer wrote:So, what's the final decision now for tomorrow?
We know that Belgian airlines have decided to basically cancel all their flights and/or move abroad for the day, but how about foreign airlines operating to Belgium?
Is there an oversight already what they are doing?
Ryanair has diverted 2 flights bound for BRU and 3 for CRL to CGN and 2 will go to Weeze.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Seems Etihad's EY056 to Abu Dhabi was the last one to depart today

(ETD 21h10, dep at 21h50)

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

LJ wrote:Ryanair has diverted 2 flights bound for BRU and 3 for CRL to CGN and 2 will go to Weeze.
And what about the passengers? Will Ryanair provide buses to bring them to their destination? If you ask me, it's irresponsible to start a flight to BRU or CRL, knowing that the Belgian air space will be closed at the ETA.

It's even more irresponsible (and utterly damaging to the Belgian economy) to close the Belgian air space for 24 hours, but that's another debate...
André
ex Sabena #26567

sdbelgium

Post by sdbelgium »

As far as I know, all pax and cabin crew were bused from NRN and CGN back to CRL and arrived around 2.00am. Flight crew overnighting to bring the aircraft back tonight.
Last edited by sdbelgium on 15 Dec 2014, 11:56, edited 1 time in total.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

No idea about their handling of foreseeable diversions, but their handling of foreseeable cancelations is quite questionable, to say the least.

Here's the story:
One of my "I don't fly contract, I will fly Ryanair" consultants tried to outsmart us all at work last week when he self-booked a Ryanair ticket for a joint trip and on Friday was convinced his flight would still operate because contrary to us, he didn't get a call to reschedule to the best of his convenience and yesterday he even joked on FB about going alone as he could check in for his flight of today still, but off course, a couple of hours before the departure this morning, he was informed by text about the "unforeseen" cancelation of his flight.

Of course, no more convenient rescheduling options available with them, no alternative rerouting provided either and availability on the new flight/date to which we have all been rebooked Friday afternoon all zeroed out as well by now elsewhere, except in C class, so guess who's going to bust his budget big time here, or miss out on the year's end round up meeting???

Why not proactively cancel all flights of today once the announcement was made Friday afternoon (but rather wait till a couple of hours before)? Strange that they really expected to be able to operate, whereas all the others were already taking care of rebooking their passengers on flights on other dates.

Pretty amateurish contingency planning and very wasteful of the time/money of their passengers.