Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 is missing

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

tsv

Re: Malaysia Airlines says it has lost contact with flight M

Post by tsv »

RTM wrote:
sn26567 wrote:A US General believes the plane is in Pakistan. A new theory that you might believe or not, but given the source, I wouldn't give this version too much credit.

http://counterjihadreport.com/2014/03/2 ... day-video/
hmmm... the shadowing theorie again...

Wel, suppose it's true... Can they do that again? I mean, all world leaders are in The Hague next week, Pakistan is within striking distance for a 777. The only problem would be to get into European airspace without being detected. So if they can shadow another flight to for instance Amsterdam... Worrying...
US Generals thought Iraq was full of Nuclear Weapons. They're generally Morons. Does he really think it would be possible to land and hide a 777, which is in News all day every day all around the World, in a Country with a Population of 180 Million without anyone noticing?

I wish a boat would hurry up and find a piece of Debris from the crash site if only because the News Rooms could then leave all the Nutters in peace and let them return to their Special Houses instead of using them to generate ridiculous Headlines.

RTM

Post by RTM »

Well... The "suppose it's true" comment was to indicate it's a hypothasis... I myself also believe it is down in the Indian ocean somewhere. But what if...

And I do believe that if they are hiding it somewhere, Pakistan would be one of the countries that could be a possibility. Together with Iran, China and North Korea, and maybe some former Soviet states.

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

RTM wrote: hmmm... the shadowing theorie again...

Wel, suppose it's true... Can they do that again? I mean, all world leaders are in The Hague next week, Pakistan is within striking distance for a 777. The only problem would be to get into European airspace without being detected. So if they can shadow another flight to for instance Amsterdam... Worrying...
Technically they can do it (again)... While it's technically possible to "hide a plane in plain sight"' by shadowing another plane it's nearly impossible when you do it during the day. To succeed it has to be done during the night when a plane can be virtually invisible when you cut all the lights. During the day, knowing that the EU has the most dense airspace in the world I wouldn't give the plane much chance to even get through airspace.

It may sound far fetched but it's not quite as hard to do as it sounds, wetter the plane will even reach a target is another thing. For the nuclear summit they've taken unseen security measures to be sure that virtually any kind attack is impossible. (and you can actually be sure that security is tightened due the missing plane, while it may be virtually impossible to pull it off, it's certainly one of the things they are taken in consideration).

Now regarding MH370: I can (and hope to) be wrong but I don't think they'll find debris of the plane in the ocean simply because I think it's not in the ocean. I still think it has landed (or maybe crashed) on land and that the northern corridor is far more interesting to search then the southern one. Will they ever find the plane? I don't know, I certainly hope so, not only for the relatives but also for every traveller who takes a plane. It's nearly certain that the plane was hijacked, but the hijacking isn't that special (though rare), the fact that the plane simply vanished is quite astonishing, until today, in modern aviation days, this hasn't happened and it could set a precedent for the future. It's "scary" that a plane in these modern days simply can vanish from earth without leaving a single trail behind. If the plane (or debris) is found in the next weeks/months it could result in extra security measures... Which, I don't know yet, but there will be a change and in these days when we are virtually undressed before boarding it's not a happy thought.

Something else that kept me thinking... I wonder what the Chinese are up to, since the beginning of the search it seems that they are deliberately derailing the search by giving the search teams co-ordinations that are bogus. It seems they are keeping everyone from searching the northern corridor. Today again... After not a single piece of debris has been found and the chances of leaving the southern corridor are increasing a Chinese vessel happens to spot some suspicious debris? Something to think about...

I truly hope they find the plane, I don't care if it's in little pieces or in one piece , south or norht, but it has to be found... Though I truly doubt they'll find it...

RTM

Post by RTM »

I don't think it crashed on land. That would have triggered the ELT. If it is on land, it's in 1 piece, and landed more or less safely.

FlightMate

Post by FlightMate »

Well, if latest " information" about a descent to 12000ft after the turn is correct, that'd comfort my idea of a catastrophy.
pilot trying to get back to an airport and descend because of depressurization.
what next? If pilots died because of malfunction in their oxygen system, the plane could have flown to the input waypoint, then continued straight for 5h, or turned back to the original route. It all depends how it was entered.

pure conjecture, again, of course.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

An Royal Australian Air Force P3 Orion plane has spotted two objects, and a ship is in the southern Indian Ocean to investigate. One object is circular and grey and the other rectangular and orange. The objects could be recovered in the next few hours.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

sn26567 wrote:An Royal Australian Air Force P3 Orion plane has spotted two objects, and a ship is in the southern Indian Ocean to investigate. One object is circular and grey and the other rectangular and orange. The objects could be recovered in the next few hours.
Latest development on AvHerald.com:

"...On May 24th 2014 Malaysia's Prime Minster has called for an unscheduled press conference at 10pm local time (14:00Z). Families of occupants of the aircraft in Beijing have been called in to a short term meeting, and there are reports the families of occupants have been booked onto charter flights to Australia. The Prime Minister's press conference is currently estimated to be slightly delayed and to commence some time between 22:00 to 23:00L..."

It seems rather strange to me that they organize an unscheduled press conference and a meeting for relatives, just to tell them that this lead is also false.

fretn

Post by fretn »

press conference starting in minutes (check bbc). theyve probably identified it.

In a nutshell, further INMARSAT sattelite transmissions concluded that the last position showed that the plane was last spotted west of Perth, presumably crashed.

Treeper

Post by Treeper »

"Malaysia prime minister: Based on new analysis, MH370 flew along the southern corridor; its last position was in the middle of the Indian Ocean, west of Pert, Australia. This is a remote location"

breakingnews.com
(live from the press conference)

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

That's very sad news.

Why take such a calculated risk to go all the way down South to crash the aircraft and its occupants in the sea?
Why does it take more than 2 weeks to figure out through Inmarsat that the aircraft went South? Is it a reliable analysis? I would think that this would be extremely difficult math, one that could be wrong very fast.
Why was there no ELT signal and why haven't they discovered any reliable signs of a wreckage?

Still too many questions remain unanswered.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Complete statement of the Malaysian Prime Minister on the conclusion that MH370 has been lost.

At least now we know that he plane has been lost, but there is still no wreckage, and we still don't know why it flew so far away from its intended route.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

it's true that the disastrous communication continues ... this new statement gives more questions than answers ...

2 weeks to collect data and admit basic facts, and still no wreckage ... ow...
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Acid-drop wrote:it's true that the disastrous communication continues ... this new statement gives more questions than answers ...

2 weeks to collect data and admit basic facts, and still no wreckage ... ow...
Just give the Aussies a few days, and they will find it.

SN539

Post by SN539 »

I see two options ... (but I'm not an aviation expert)

A sudden and total electrical loss (but is it really technically possible ?). They tried to go back to a near airport (in Malaisia), but without any instruments and at night, they flew over Malaisia (quite narrow at this place). They continued over Indian Ocean, were completely lost (always at night and without any instrument) and finally after 6 or 7 they crashed into ocean short of fuel. Maybe a bit science-fiction ...?

Or, the aircraft has been intentionaly crashed int ocean at a very remote place hoping it could never be found (or at least the black boxes). But why ? "A qui profite le crime ?"

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

Apparently the latest statement is only based on calculation from data they must have from the first day. :shock:
I hope that such a demonstration of human incompetence will be the first and the last.
Plus you must have some guts telling the familly all lives are lost when you have no freaking idea of where the bodies are. Even if it may be very likely its a shame.
Some latest interesting read about the "new technique" of analysing data : http://edition.cnn.com/2014/03/24/world ... ?hpt=hp_t1
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

Shear incompetence from Malaysia?

It strucks me as really weird to say that the aircraft crashed into the Malaysian waters with no possible survivors, when they have found no debris yet pointing to a complete destruction of the aircraft.
Who's to say that they haven't ditched and some survivors are surviving on the last bags of water on rafts as we speak?

Inmarsat can't tell us what happened to the aircraft after its last ping, regardless of whether it went north or south.

I'm reading that AAIB/Inmarsat worked out the Southern route based on comparisons with other flights as well as doppler principle applied to the movements of the satellite itself. IMO, this means that they compared the frequencies of the emitted waves as the aircraft moved towards its final destination.
It could be reliable but then again it may not be, as it will depend on the onboard equipment, weather factors and datum references used. If you're a bit off on that, it could distort the picture enough to lead you in the wrong direction.

But again, the AAIB is a reliable and reputed accident investigation branch, so I doubt that they would release such info without being pretty sure.

Another day, another pile of debris which turns out to be garbage, still no sign of MH370.
Another day of lost hope.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Inmarsat doesn't deserve the hard critics, shown here.

Inmarsat senior vice-president Chris McLaughlin said the firm had studied electronic "pings" - or bursts of data - which the plane had sent to one of its satellites.He told the BBC: "We've been trying to help an investigation based on a single signal once an hour from an aircraft that didn't include any GPS data, any time and distance information."

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-26720772

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

Who's to say that they haven't ditched and some survivors are surviving on the last bags of water on rafts as we speak?
I am very annoyed by this also. They show no intention to rush. 2 weeks are lost already and now their message is pretty much "yeah you know, finding a black box in a 2000km radius by 3500m deap ocean is gonna take 3 years, so let's all say they are all dead so I can go to the beach this WE."
Must be some pleasant "sound" (in fact an SMS, wtf...) for the famillies.
Some journalist are already saying that a good procedure in justice may just kill malaysia airlines for good.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

I don't think it is possible to survive 2 weeks or more in ocean water, not even hanging on to something?
And even sitting dry on a raft, I don't see what they'd live off: do these rafts come with fresh water destilators? If they do, surely they'll also come with some sort of satellite transmitters then?
But where is their SOS signal? Disabled as well, like all the rest?
They're all dead, IMHO, and let's hope right on impact (or sooner even).