Brussels Airlines : pilots strike looming

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

RoMax

Brussels Airlines : pilots strike looming

Post by RoMax »

This time the pilots are complaining again and threatening with actions.

The unions/pilots say Brussels Airlines is not keeping up with the Beyond 2012-2013 agreements, holidays and seasonal contracts for 58+ pilots are the biggest problems.

The SN management said in a reaction that they do keep their promisses and they'll continue to do this. "Thanks to the efforts of all our staff we have been able to increase or competitivity with as a result a positive effect on our commercial results", the management continued. They also said that they are currently talking with their social partners about the pilots which are currently not working full time. It was planned to return all of them back to full time in 2015, SN now wants to do this in early 2014 already.

http://www.nieuwsblad.be/article/detail ... 5_00839837

fcw

Re: Brussels Airlines : pilots strike looming

Post by fcw »

According to RTBF BruAir pilots will strike on monday.
http://www.rtbf.be/info/regions/detail_ ... id=8136811

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,
Strike confirmed by now following newsmedia
CXB
New types flown 2022.. A339

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

Another strike announcement?
I'll believe it when I see it again... in the meanwhile, it's the number one item on the news.
Even if they strike, a few delays or cancellations in the dip of the winter isn't going to hurt them, but if it gets them on the front page, it's free advertising.

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

On the SN website two minutes ago :

Update about potential social actions on Monday 18 November
At this moment we have no official confirmation about a strike of our pilots this Monday 18 November, so currently we expect no impact on our flight operations on Monday. We monitor the situation closely and will update this page, as well as our Facebook and Twitter pages as soon as we have more news.
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

From De Tijd:
http://www.tijd.be/nieuws/ondernemingen ... 7-3085.art

Sounds like it's not a full blown strike, but one of those walk outs during which an 'information session' is organized. The unions are becoming more Germanized at B.air too, because this method is widely known and used in Germany to "strike without striking" as a formal strike needs to be approved by a court of justice first.

The article also contains an interesting guidance as to the financial result for this year, which I haven't seen published anywhere yet. Sounds like the turn around is well under way?

Enjoy.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

The unions are retards, and by extension all pilots that follow them as well. They drove sabena into the ground and are well on their way to so the same now. I hope LH draws it's conclusions.

air belgium

Post by air belgium »

I wish the Brussels Airlines pilots good luck!

Pocahontas

Post by Pocahontas »

Dear Sean1982, who are you calling a retard? Reading your mail, I'd look for a mirror!

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Anyone who foolishly helps to drive their company into the ground for no good reason at all. My mirror is very clean, how's yours??

Pocahontas

Post by Pocahontas »

Wonder what you'd do if your employer pays you at 90%, but let's you fly at 120%, at the same time claiming there are too many pilots? They aren't even able to give us all our holidays we are entitled to in 2013. Get your facts straight before you insult people. How deep would you bend for your job? And if you offend people by calling them retards, please don't do it anonymously. That is a bit too easy.

regards

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

I'm far from anonymous as I use my own name. I would bend pretty far for my job, especially if my airline was in the same position as yours. What do you like best: a job with not so good conditions or no job at all? Make your choice.

If you're not happy at your current place you go and look for greener pastures, instead of screwing everybody else over. That's what I would if I'm honest with myself.
Last edited by sean1982 on 17 Nov 2013, 19:24, edited 1 time in total.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Nobody is right or wrong here I think that the SN model is dead they have to fight againts company's like RAM,TK,ET etc... they are cheaper than SN.
On the other hand you have company's like AF,KL,BA etc...
They have big hub's to bring pax to there flight's.
One solution would be to bring the long haul flight's to a bigger hub like Frankfurt.
Hasta la victoria siempre.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Unacceptable words have been used in this thread. Please refrain from insulting people and keep the discussion civilised. There is no need to resort to insults to make your point of view known.
André
ex Sabena #26567

euroflyer

Post by euroflyer »

of course there is no right or wrong and it is up to everybody to make his/her decision, people are old enough … the only thing I do know: if this will be the "new (old) trend" at SN, LH will withdraw faster than some might imagine … if it is a one-off event, ok, that might still be accepted, but anything more will be the end for the LH "partnership" with SN, LH does not need SN at all, I am not so sure if this can be said the other way round as well ...
Star Alliance Gold / LH Senator
A300 A318 A319 A320 A321 A340 B737 B747 B757 B767 MD81 MD82 MD90 Tu134 IL18 BAe146 RJ85 RJ100 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 ERJ145 E170 E195 F50 F70 F100 ATR42 ATR72 Q300 Q400
http://my.flightmemory.com/euroflyer

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

euroflyer wrote:of course there is no right or wrong and it is up to everybody to make his/her decision, people are old enough … the only thing I do know: if this will be the "new (old) trend" at SN, LH will withdraw faster than some might imagine … if it is a one-off event, ok, that might still be accepted, but anything more will be the end for the LH "partnership" with SN, LH does not need SN at all, I am not so sure if this can be said the other way round as well ...
EXACTLY!! I cannot understand for the world how the pilots do not see that?!?!? Not to mention another batch of passengers that will go and look elsewhere as the cannot rely on the airline?! The economic damage will be huge. I'm getting mad thinking about all other employees that will have to pay for the consequences of these egoists. Things like this make my blood boil.

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

I think that Gustin has finally understood the power of the media as an advertising tool. Very good, that's definitely progress and I'm not trying to be ironic.

Create a story with the unions around 8 pilots, the oldest because they're the closest to management and the unions, they know each other since the Sabena times. Then delay a few flights. Voila, you're in the news for 3 days, on TV, in the papers, online, saving hundreds of thousands in ad costs.

Well at least I hope that it's like that... otherwise the reason for the strike is kind of too far-fetched, especially for the very pro-management unions, while clearly the management is trying to do something good for the majority of the pilots.

FLYAIR10

Post by FLYAIR10 »

Indeed , strike should really be the "weapon" of last resort. In the given diificult aviation environment going on strike by a small part of the workforce, or even only publicly threatening with a strike, is harming SN and belgian aviation in general.

I do hope tomorrow there will be no cancellations ,especially not on the Budapest flights as at least 5-6 of my colleagues will be heading for Hungary (and I recommended to take more expensive SN instead of the LCC's. SN: please,please don't put me in a difficult situation tomorrow at the office :oops: and make sure BUD-flights are flying as scheduled!)Thanks (P.S. same is valid for the day after) ;)

letscruise

Post by letscruise »

Can't agree more
Going on strike strike is actually an incredibly stupid and selfish thing to do in times of hard competition in aviation.
It will affect passengers who are the first source of your income!!
They expect and deserve a minimum sense of responsibility.
If you are unhappy with your conditions think about the hundreds who will be more than happy to take your job with even less wage and worse conditions. Think about the people on the street without a job.

Pocahontas

Post by Pocahontas »

Every ab-initio would do anything for a job, I was no different. But after several years you look at all in a different manner. If you know a pilot of Bru Air in person, ask him/her what we have lost over the last years... Mijn vod is uitgewrongen nu. I am not pro-strike, but our MGMT needs a wake-up call, we need to be treated with respect, something far gone the last years...