Ryanair in 2013

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Inquirer

Re: Ryanair in 2013

Post by Inquirer »

I regularly flew to Birmingham last year for a project we had at work and throughout winter I saw half the apron full of parked ryanair planes.

When you have a strategic review of your working methods, you have to live with choices from the past and one of those choices are for instance planes on order. When they now talk about a pause in their growth, it can very well mean they will park even more planes this winter than first planned.

Not saying this is what is going to happen, but just pointing out one of the many options open to your management to adapt to a rapidly changing environment.

Once again, you should keep in mind that past performances and decisions do not constitute any guarantee for future results, only an analytical performance evaluation and subsequently the extrapolated financial guidance are indicative of what the future will bring and it's undeniable there's some rough weather ahead for ryanair, given they had to issue a profit warning twice over such a short time span, something which is as good as unseen, really.

PS: straight from De Tijd's livestream:
14.54 uur: Ryanair (5,36 euro, -12,1%) is na zijn nieuwe zware koersval vandaag niet langer de meest waardevolle luchtvaartgroep van Europa. De marktwaarde van de grootste lagekostenmaatschappij van het continent is de voorbije maanden met een kwart gedaald en bedraagt nu nog 7,51 miljard euro. IAG, de holding boven British Airways en Iberia, is nu 7,1 miljard pond of 8,39 miljard euro waard. Lufthansa komt op de derde plaats (6,59 miljard) en Easyjet (5,83 miljard euro) op de vierde.
Does this help to carry the realistic message across that the near future for ryanair may be pretty bleak indeed?

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

We all knew that winter 13/14 was gonna be though .... in the long term we'll see what will happen. The scene on this forum and in the press reminds me of a movie a saw yesterday with a guy standing on a ledge and 500 people looking onwards from below shouting ... JUMP JUMP JUMP!! The airline a lot of people want to see fail, but a lot of water needs to flow to the sea before that will happen.

Reg E S Potter

Post by Reg E S Potter »

It now expects to make a profit of between 500m euros (£423m; $674m) and 520m euros for the financial year ending in March, down from its previous projection of 570m euros.
source BBC website

Not usually feel the need to comment on Ryanair stories but for context it should be noted the forecast profit figures still show them making a net profit of 1.3 MILLION Euros every DAY! There are many airlines all over the world who would love to make that in a YEAR (I wonder what MOL could do for Alitalia?)

Reg

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

sean1982 wrote:the airline a lot of people want to see fail, but a lot of water needs to flow to the sea before that will happen.
I would like to highlight I do not wish for failure of Ryanair at all.

It seems that it has become a typical behaviour that any remark regarding Ryanair is immediately given a PRO or CONTRA label and is then extrapolated to either a wish for outright failure, or alternatively total annihilation of all of its competitors, both of which are pretty pathetic attitudes to live with, IMHO.

appel

Post by appel »

There will indeed be a pause in the expansion of Ryanair.
http://irishaviationresearchinstitute.b ... 7-8as.html
It will depend on the yeas wide fleet utilization but i can't see how they will be able to to the same flights they did this summer with 10 aircraft less (305 before this summer and according the link above 195 by October 2014)
There will be growth for sure with the order they have (and the rumored order for some -MAX's by years end) but i don't see it happen in 2014

I do think it's a great move towards allocated seating. I think that the cabin crew will be delighted they don't have to say 50x per flight that passengers can't sit in the first few rows

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

The crew is very happy indeed :) we're also looking forward to new uniforms that should be introduced next year :) a breath of fresh air is blowing through FR at the moment :)

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Nice to hear the crew is happy. But tourism professional Jan Peeters (travel360.be) thinks that there is more behind the recent wave of so called good news. "Ryanair is in trouble" he writes.

Peeters says that Ryanair is forced to change it's policy for three reasons:

1. lack of growth, both in number of pax and in number of airports willing and/or able to pay what Ryanair wants;

2. fierce competition from EasyJet, operating from classical airports, with a friendly and less aggressive approach and with an wider sales structure, example through open distribution and GDS;

3. Ryanair crossed the tolerance limit. Passengers don't want to be humiliated anymore by the CEO with his ongoing remarks about "stupid behaviour". Actually, it's the beginning of the end for O'Leary, Jan Peeters writes.

This is just a brief summary of a long article by Jan Peeters. It can be read without login, password or subscription:
http://www.travel360.be/nieuws/visie/de ... ry-periode

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Passenger wrote:Nice to hear the crew is happy. But tourism professional Jan Peeters (travel360.be) thinks that there is more behind the recent wave of so called good news. "Ryanair is in trouble" he writes.
Indeed, I don't think it is difficult to see that Ryanair HAS to do this from a commercial point of view and not simply because they want to serve their passengers in a better way.
Increased pressure from competitors, passengers and media forced Ryanair in this position. Good thing for FR, they reacted relative fast, before their finances really started to feel it.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

The financial turbulences ryanair is heading for are starting to cause social unrest at the airline:
http://www.tijd.be/nieuws/ondernemingen ... 1-3085.art

summary:
ryanair pilots are beginning to worry about their salaries and even their job, a day after ryanair was forced to issue a second profit warning in as many months and announced to halt its growth plans as it tries to get to grips with their rapidly deteriorating financial performance first.
Pilots fear ryanair will now make use of a clause in their contracts which stipulates their salaries shall be reviewed and their employment can be terminated in the wake of dissappointing financial performance.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

An airline with 175 airplanes on order is not going to dismiss pilots :roll: This is just the RPG trying to stirr the pot.

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

The Ryanair profit warning is :

Full year profits will be lower than previously guided (€570m to €600m). We now expect the
full year outturn to be between €500m to €520m.

I am sure quite a few other airlines would be happy to be able to post such a warning ... I know of at least one that would be very happy with a zero loss/profit !
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

cnc

Post by cnc »

airazurxtror wrote:The Ryanair profit warning is :

Full year profits will be lower than previously guided (€570m to €600m). We now expect the
full year outturn to be between €500m to €520m.

I am sure quite a few other airlines would be happy to be able to post such a warning ... I know of at least one that would be very happy with a zero loss/profit !
yes they still have a huge profit but we don't know what they do with that money. maybe they have a short but high loan to pay for the aircraft

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

What about new Ryanair flights out of OST with this aircraft? :)

Ryanair's flying boat 1989
André
ex Sabena #26567

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Did it actually ever operate flights for ryanair? Or was it promotional?

andorra-airport

Post by andorra-airport »

As a proposed sponsorship link with the Foynes Flying Boat Museum, it was doing promo flights. It never worked out.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

A Transavia banner appearing incongruously on the new Ryanair website?

André
ex Sabena #26567

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,

Check your cookies !
Luckily not Sexy Polish Girls or so :) LOL
CXB
New types flown 2022.. A339

quixoticguide

Post by quixoticguide »

:p

They removed the (google) ad from the ryanair website.
Visit my flights on: http://www.quixoticguide.com

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2013/11 ... ir-russia/

Ryanair has been granted permission to fly to destinations in Russia from March next year by the country’s aviation authority.

The Federal Air Transport Agency, known as Rosaviatsia, will allow the airline to start regular flights on routes from Dublin to Moscow and St Petersburg.

Ryanair is in “exploratory” talks with a number of airports as potential destinations, according to the carrier’s spokesman Robin Kiely
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

cnc

Post by cnc »

cool if they would offer flights from CRL it would be my first time i'd use FR