Jet Airways out of Brussels

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Atlantis

Re: Jet Airways out of Brussels?

Post by Atlantis »

Passenger wrote:Schiphol Airport calls victory:

http://www.telegraaf.nl/dft/bedrijven/a ... dia__.html

In brief: AMS will be the European hub for Jet Airways flights between India, Europe and the U.S., and there will be dozens of extra flights from Indian cities to AMS.

(edited : I've forgotten "for Jet Airways")
My fear of acouple of years ago on this forum will become true it seems. This will be a huge gap and will not be filled in only a few months.
On the North-America routes I don't see big problems in the near future. I see United, SN and Air Canada (maybe Transat) growing on this. Is good news for SN on those routes.

Of course the routes to India will disappear and LH will not give it to BRU or help SN. They are protecting their own market. I also don't see an other Indian operator coming to BRU.

At the end of this year there will be again a trade mission with Prince Filip to India. I don't know if they will discuss this or maybe other opportunities for the near future, 2 to 3 years.

For BRU it is very bad news with losses in income and the moce of a European hub to a competitor.

LJ

Post by LJ »

crlhub wrote:(in cargo we are doing much better)
Though we see a few new flights, cargo is still bleeding. If I'm not mistaken we're down to 1 weekly KE cargo flight (used to be more), SV cargo doesn't use BRU as often as it used to and CX cargo is gone. The only bright spot is DHL, but they don't have any capacity left at Leipzig, thus growing BRU is thier only option.
crlhub wrote:even if we have solid positive advantages like: the UE,NATO and other international bodies,
Yet they don't create traffic on a global basis. NATO doesn't contain India, China or Brazil, only US and Canada.
crlhub wrote: Very sad to see SN not present in three BRIC markets like China,India and Brazil.Three countries with an incredible population and still a very big export/tourism potential for the decades to come.
BRU does have Hainan, which is the link to China. That makes 2 out of 4 BRIC countries served from BRU.
crlhub wrote:It took too much time after the end of Sabena to retart a new intercontinental network(like Swiss did).12 years after Sabena we are still below the traffic numbers of 2001.
Do you want a profitable SN or a big SN? Remeber that the SN from 12 years ago was loss making and dying. The SN of today is less loss making (and hopefully soon profitable) and seems to be doing OK imgae wise.

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

LJ wrote:Do you want a profitable SN or a big SN?
Actually, we want/need both. So far, the African routes have kept b.air afloat. As I once wrote on luchtzak : 4 aircraft keep 40 aircraft flying. Generally speaking, we see that intercontinental flights are the ones that make money (I don't know why, but that seems to be an established fact now). So, b.air needs to grow in markets with still a reasonable yield. North America is low yield, but LH lets (or encourages) b.air to fly to North America as there still is a potential for these flights to feed the African network. Africa is what b.air does best, so there is a logic to this approach. However, a day will come where yields to Africa will go down because of increased competition, not only from AF (KL or BA), but EK, EY, QR, TK and ET.
In addition, outgoing KLM boss Peter Hartman declared that Africa will become the next growth market for airlines and that KLM always believed in Africa's potential since it invested in Kenya Airways in 1995. (this is a short summary of :
http://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nl-NL/Ar ... groeimarkt
Reading between the lines, this probably means KL will continue to develop its African network, too.

In other words, b.air needs to diversify (and quickly)
crlhub wrote:Very sad to see SN not present in three BRIC markets like China,India and Brazil
I agree. Although I don't see much potential for b.air to India, except perhaps :
b720 wrote:5xweek daily high season to BOM, with a deal with Antwerp diamond couriers for diamond shipments
As to China, Chinese airlines are getting mature with a good safety record in the last ten years and service getting increasingly better. These airlines will be able to offer the lowest fares and might even, pricewise, become a threat to the 3G (three main Gulf carriers). So, I wouldn't bet too much on China to make money.

Leaves us with Brazil. I won't repeat what I wrote already a couple of times on luchtzak about Brazil (but will not mind repeating it if a member asks me to). TAM leaving Star Alliance. Nobody knowing what's going to happen with TAP. Aerolineas Argentinas joining Skyteam. Fortunately, Star has Avianca Taca and Copa, but that's more Central America (perhaps with Avianca as a gateway to Andean countries), but none of these airlines fly to BRU.

In summary : b.air needs to diversify (and faster than adding one long-haul aircraft per year to its network).
In favor of quality air travel.

brusselsairlinesfan

Post by brusselsairlinesfan »

A bad hit for Brussels Airport... Wasn't 9W satisfied about the service provided? What about their BRU ops profitabilty? Which arguments in favor of AMS vs BRU?
Regarding brussels airlines, a loss a connecting PAX for sure (btw, any idea about the figures/impact?)... but also a source of new opportunities esp. in USA/Canada bur why not to DEL or BOM?

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

brusselsairlinesfan wrote:A bad hit for Brussels Airport...
I guess the single worst hit will be for their handler at BRU as Jetairways must mean a lot of productivity.
Who's handling them? is it still Swissport?
brusselsairlinesfan wrote:also a source of new opportunities esp. in USA/Canada bur why not to DEL or BOM?
Because maybe not that many people are boarding the different Jetairways planes to India in BRU?
Are there any figures available about their local influx at Belgium, per destination?
And how much of those passengers really terminate at BOM or DEL, iso having a connection elsewhere?
Whatever this second figure is, it's a good estimate of what a Belgian airline can count on as O/D traffic.
As many others above, I too doubt it will be enough to support an Indian route with?

air belgium

Post by air belgium »

Maybe a chance for a new belgian company to start flights from Brussels to India. (Mumbai, Delhi, Madras etc)
You never know.

quixoticguide

Post by quixoticguide »

air belgium wrote:Maybe a chance for a new belgian company to start flights from Brussels to India. (Mumbai, Delhi, Madras etc)
You never know.
Sure keep dreaming
Visit my flights on: http://www.quixoticguide.com

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,

Indeed guess not any chance..
Now... guess if there will be connections to India it will be Quatar,Etihad and maybe Emirates who will fill the gap.. if not Turkish..
Sad.. but true...
Altough a touchdown of Air India would be nice but very unlikely... :)

CXB
New types flown 2022.. A339

cnc

Post by cnc »

Inquirer wrote: I guess the single worst hit will be for their handler at BRU as Jetairways must mean a lot of productivity.
yes swissport.
cathay belgium wrote: Altough a touchdown of Air India would be nice but very unlikely... :)
not so unlikely as you might think but time will tell

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

cnc wrote:
Inquirer wrote: I guess the single worst hit will be for their handler at BRU as Jetairways must mean a lot of productivity.
yes swissport.
So they loose two of their biggest clients in one year (Jet and JAF) and they had a massive strike getting everyone else angry as well...

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

FWIW- SN seeks for over €4M in financial compensations from Swissport over the strike....
A huge amount, but just figure how tens of thousand of pieces of luggage had to be home delivered to passengers all over Europe, the USA and Africa and how for almost a week their load factor took a noticable hit as high yielding last minute passengers avoided to book SN.
LH/LX -which were forced to cancel all of their flights since none of their long haul connecting passengers could take any luggage- are not amused either and are also going to hand Swissport a multi million euro bill.
Last edited by tolipanebas on 08 Jun 2013, 11:47, edited 1 time in total.

cnc

Post by cnc »

RoMax wrote:
cnc wrote:
yes swissport.
So they loose two of their biggest clients in one year (Jet and JAF) and they had a massive strike getting everyone else angry as well...
yes but they got UA.
anyway now they can go on strike because there's not enough work and they fall back to 75% months :roll:

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

not so unlikely as you might think but time will tell
What do we have to read about Air India between those words ? Thx
Last edited by sn26567 on 08 Jun 2013, 23:41, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected BBCode

cnc

Post by cnc »

nordikcam wrote:not so unlikely as you might think but time will tell
What do we have to read about Air India between those words ? Thx
nothing special, the future is open and AI is unstable so it could go both ways but they are looking at new destinations in europe so BRU as star hub and no competition from 9W... who knows :)
Last edited by sn26567 on 08 Jun 2013, 23:42, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected BBCode

LJ

Post by LJ »

Air Key West wrote:Africa is what b.air does best, so there is a logic to this approach. However, a day will come where yields to Africa will go down because of increased competition, not only from AF (KL or BA), but EK, EY, QR, TK and ET.
Thus it should focus on this market. Yields to Brazil, India and China are alos not great and even worse Brazil and China seem to be cooling down. Do you really want to deploy resources to a such market whilst you quote the KLM CEO saying that Africa is the next growth market? Defend your current share and not waste resources in the Indian market or another Europe - Shanghai/Beijing connection. I would guess that LH doesn't need another LX, it needs an ailrine which is a niche player, in this case for Africa.

Moreover, in order to support flights you need the O&D (hence why KL never invested in India). Yet, Belgium is not the gateway to Europe for India (UK), China (Germany and The Netherlands) and Brazil (Portugal and France). Thus you end up going after low yield connecting traffic.
brusselsairlinesfan wrote:A bad hit for Brussels Airport... Wasn't 9W satisfied about the service provided? What about their BRU ops profitabilty? Which arguments in favor of AMS vs BRU?
9W will leave if their new future minority owner (EY) says so (just like SN does what LH tells them to do). EY leans a lot towards Skyteam, thus a move to AMS wouldn't be so strange (if it happens as there hasn't been any formal confirmation from 9W nor is it visible in GDS, I reckon the AMS slot request will shed some light on what 9W will be doing at AMS). Finally, I reckon that the DL/AF/KL/AZ offer to become part ofd the joint venture is still on the table, something LH would never offered 9W.

sn-remember

Post by sn-remember »

SN should focuse on AFI
Routes (all dailies with A332/333)
bru-acc-coo,bru-abj-lfw,bru-dkr-bjl,bru-cky-fna/rob,bru-dla-nsi,bru-fih,bru-ebb-nbo,bru-kgl-bjm,bru-fbm-lun(4)+bru-llw-lun(3)
Acc = TOP priority NOW since Virgin Suspends Accra From 23SEP (act quick)
NA dailies to jfk,ewr,iad,bos
Pek and sfo expected
Later : jnb and pvg
To study : nrt or hnd
Pass the word to lh/Sn mgt asap, it's good stuff
imho ;-)

sn-remember

Post by sn-remember »

They must act quick or they are dead ..

HighInTheSky

Post by HighInTheSky »

sn-remember wrote:SN should focuse on AFI
Routes (all dailies with A332/333)
bru-acc-coo,bru-abj-lfw,bru-dkr-bjl,bru-cky-fna/rob,bru-dla-nsi,bru-fih,bru-ebb-nbo,bru-kgl-bjm,bru-fbm-lun(4)+bru-llw-lun(3)
Acc = TOP priority NOW since Virgin Suspends Accra From 23SEP (act quick)
NA dailies to jfk,ewr,iad,bos
Pek and sfo expected
Later : jnb and pvg
To study : nrt or hnd
Pass the word to lh/Sn mgt asap, it's good stuff
imho ;-)
Ehmz, ACC was tried before, and didn't work out.

About the rest: keep on dreaming... ;)

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Even LH only flies a B738 to ACC

Unilitha2

Post by Unilitha2 »

Any idea of the leave date ? As 9W keeps promoting flights from Brussels on the web (in addition to ad campaing "Win a car") so I guess it won't be before the end of the summer ?