Warsaw Modlin Aiport

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

The_Dutchman

Warsaw Modlin Aiport

Post by The_Dutchman »

Some low cost carriers have had some problems with Warsaw (okecie) Airport. Not being able to overnight their planes there et cetera.

Warsaw Modlin Airport (30 km from warsaw) sounded like a good alternative, it was a formerly military airport, and is being tranformed to a passenger airport. The idea was that low-cost carriers and charters would use this airport. It was supposed to be opened in the beginning of the summer....

HOWEVER, I have not heard or seen ANY news concerning this new airport. Not from news sites, and not from airlines which published their winter schedule (like wizzair and skyeurope, ryanair)...

Does anyone has any information about Warsaw Modlin airport, like when it is being opened or which airlines will fly there... :)

earthman

Post by earthman »

They should be about finished designing the terminal and about to start building it, which should take a few months. Renovating the runway should take about five weeks. It is thus expected that te airport will be operational somewhere in the autumn.

The LCC's currently operating from Okecie don't appear to feel like moving their operations there, but Ryanair has expressed interest in using it.

The_Dutchman

Post by The_Dutchman »

cool... I hope it will be used soon.

an LCC like Skyeurope cancelled several flights (Nice, Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Manchester) from warsaw in february due to the fact that they couldn't overnight their planes in Warsaw.

Modlin would be not ideal for them, but might be better than nothing at all.... Well, they probably made a well informed decision...
I hope someone starts flying to the netherlands again :)

sn26567

Re: Warsaw Modlin Aiport

Post by sn26567 »

Seven years later, the low-cost Warsaw Modlin airport (WMI-EPMO) is open.

At opening on new Warsaw Modlin Airport, Michael O'Leary was the first to arrive on a special Ryanair flight from Dublin - he was only passenger on board!

Scheduled flights from WMI to CRL starting tomorrow:
  • by Ryanair 4 times a week
  • by Wizz Air daily
André
ex Sabena #26567

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

sn26567 wrote: At opening on new Warsaw Modlin Airport, Michael O'Leary was the first to arrive on a special Ryanair flight from Dublin - he was only passenger on board!
Of course, his big ego was on board, no place anymore for anyone else... :mrgreen:

Anyway, I know RYR and Wizzair will launch several flights (a base?) at Modlin, but are their already other airlines that announced they would be flying from Modlin?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

MR_Boeing wrote:Are there already other airlines that announced they would be flying from Modlin?
Nope!

Modlin is located 35 km North of Warsaw, thus further away than main airport Okecie. Public transport: bus to the railway station of Modlin, where there are trains to Warsaw City continuing to Okecie. In 2014 there will be a direct railway link from Okecie and Warsaw to Modlin.
André
ex Sabena #26567

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

Wizz Air organizes a bus service between Modlin and Warsaw in connection with its flights.
It can be booked together with the flights, the cost is 25 PLN one way (around 6 euros).
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

airazurxtror wrote:Wizz Air organizes a bus service between Modlin and Warsaw in connection with its flights.
It can be booked together with the flights, the cost is 25 PLN one way (around 6 euros).
Indeed, 12 euro both way.
Some time ago I booked a flight Eindhoven-Modlin-Eindhoven (including bus transfer to the center of Warsaw). But since that booking they seem to have changed their shedule for this route (must happened very recently as two weeks ago my booking was stil normal). When I check my booking on their website now it's for Modlin-EIN-Modlin and even both flights on the same day... I have a flexible ticket (if you pay more you can change your flights for free), but I can't change my flight dates (after selecting the flights I want it says the selected route is wrong)... Time to contact Wizzair it seems, unless they contact me themself soon.

Bruspotter

Post by Bruspotter »

Hi

Well Wizzair sure as well actually announced that they should be flying soon from Modlin (and in fact still do), however now that seems to be changed. So far as I know they already started building this airport already quite some time (or read: converting). It should had been operational for the Euro 2012 football cup but they didn't made that deadline so I guess the pressure is a bit off now ;). Despite I do believe most of these carriers will still move there when it's finished (whenever that might actually be).

Loved to fly from Okecie instead,flew in and out there some times before already, it was nice close to the city centre, bus 175 goes the whole night long and it takes only a 30 minute ride to the old city centre and would only cost as much as 1 EUR so ... no complaints about that, easy to reach and not too big to not find your way there. Modlin will be some 30km from Warsaw itself so will be a different story, anyhow will see how it will work out.

Regards, Yannick

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

Modlin has been inaugurated last sunday (15th July 2012); first Ryanair flights yesterday; first Wizz Air flights tomorrow.
http://www.air-journal.fr/2012-07-17-va ... 52630.html
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

Boeing767copilot

Post by Boeing767copilot »

Modlin Airport has troublesome first day

http://www.wbj.pl/article-59810-modlin- ... ml?typ=wbj

andorra-airport

Post by andorra-airport »

airazurxtror wrote:At Warsaw Modlin, the runway is closed "for safety reasons" since yesterday 15.00h.
Ryanair flights are diverted to Warsaw Chopin, until at least 27 december.
The runway is closed by the General Office of Building Control , and shortened from 2,500 to 1,500 meters due to surface problems, which now need to be fixed under warranty by the original developer.

The original runway was "old style" : made from concrete slabs. Putting asphalt on top of it is cheap & quick, but.........

Construction of the airport was rushed, see now the results. No ILS and often fog (close to a river) makes things worse.

earthman

Post by earthman »

The RWY was extended with new concrete parts, 500m on either side, and the old part in the middle is asphalted. It's the concrete parts that are now crumbling. The asphalt part remains operational, but it is only 1500m long.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Good news. Renovation work has been completed. The airport authorities are looking forward to the expertise and analysis of relevant institutions. Meanwhile Wizz Air and Ryanair flights will remain at the main Warsaw airport until 15 January 2013. Flights to/from Modlin from 16 January can be booked from now.

For those who understand Polish, here is their news release: http://spoti.pl/dokument/10006/zakoncze ... towego-lwm
André
ex Sabena #26567

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Modlin is still not open and construction works are still busy. It is unknown when the airport will be open again.
In meantime, Ryanair, postponed already their new flights to Modlin till 22nd Januari.
Wizzair will follow.

http://www.warsawvoice.pl/WVpage/pages/ ... 23390/news

LOT231

Post by LOT231 »

It seems, according to various Polish TV stations, that Modlin will remain closed till Spring at least. wizz has already filed a damage claim to the court in Warsaw to get money back for what they pay extra for fees at Chopin.

CrAzy

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Ryanair is due to stay at Chopin Airport at least until Jan 29, Wizz Air until Jan 31.
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Modlin airport runway repairs to take more time

Ryanair and Wizz Air will continue to operate all of their services originally scheduled to operate from and to Warsaw Modlin (WMI) through Warsaw Fryderyk Chopin (WAW) until further notice as repairs to Modlin airport's runway are taking longer than initially expected with the airport possibly not being able to reopen the full runway until April or May.

At this point the two carriers have suspended operations to Modlin until at least early February with Ryanair quoting February 6 and Wizz Air February 9 as the dates for a resumption of services as scheduled.

The airport's runway has now been partially closed since December 22 due to runway surface safety problems that had been discovered last month.

Source: ch-aviation
André
ex Sabena #26567

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Modlin Airport will not go open for traffic before March or April.

The repair works are not suffisend. The whole runway shows now cracking and flaking on the surface.
The runway needs a whole new top layer.

They analysed today the condition of the runway after repair works were done some weeks ago.