Who Am I ?

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

appel

Re: Who Am I ?

Post by appel »

the next one is the inside of the previous thrust reverser 8-)

the previous picture looks like a very new brake, most of those I have seen were most of the time quit worn.
but nex year i'll probably see many more with our most favorite airline :roll:

Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

Yes, but what is the name of these parts?

Juulke

Post by Juulke »

Blocker doors

Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

Juulke wrote:Blocker doors
Well done Juulke....the blocker doors , driven by the translating sleeve, one of the most difficult thing to rig on an A/C, particularly on the old generation A/C like the 310, where it's a pneumatic motor who drives the translating sleeve, through splitter gearbox, master actuator, slave actuator,RVDT's and flexshaft...
:(

regi

Post by regi »

Desert Rat wrote:
Juulke wrote:Blocker doors
Well done Juulke....the blocker doors , driven by the translating sleeve, one of the most difficult thing to rig on an A/C, particularly on the old generation A/C like the 310, where it's a pneumatic motor who drives the translating sleeve, through splitter gearbox, master actuator, slave actuator,RVDT's and flexshaft...
:(
Just a question: remember the saga of theA310 of the Belgian airforce which was told to be almost unworkable ( especially because of the engine type ) ? Was this one of the reasons?

WC_EEND

Post by WC_EEND »

I remember it in the sense that they appeared to spend more time on the ground than on the air. Not quite sure what the deal with the engine type was though.

Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

@ Khun Regi, probably one of many other reasons, troubleshooting on Airbus WB is not a simple task, you need patience and a very good knowledge of the A/C.

Also the engines being P&W JT9D 7R4, they needed to do a trim during engine run_up after each engine replacement like the old fashion JT8...not that easy...

A 310 needs to fly every day, the BAF low utilisation did not help. The aging of the wiring, harnesses, connectors, plugs, etc...do't forget that the A/C were coming from humid SIA....lot of corrosion,, structural but also in the electrical connections.

I worked on them at the beginning, but then the contract went to LHT.
Last edited by Desert Rat on 19 Feb 2012, 12:30, edited 1 time in total.

WC_EEND

Post by WC_EEND »

At the risk of going offtopic here: What does engine trim do? Is it something similar to stabiliser, rudder and aileron trim?

Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

To trim an engine is in fact to tune it, to make a long story short, the new generations of engine are equipped with a FADEC( electronic fuel injection ) whereas the old fashion engine (like the JT9D)needed to be tunned like a good old carburator, for this, trim motors where installed on the engine connected to a very long harness taped on the fuselage and going to the cockpit trough the sliding window, a test set was drawing graphics on a sheet of paper,and the parameters were adjusted thank to the trim motors with feedback on the test set...note that the A310 fitted with the CF6 or the PW4158 were equipped with FADEC, therefore were more easy to tune. SNT had a very good reputation in engine rigging/tunning and a lot of big airlines(like AF) were sending their licensed engineers to SNT to follow the engine run-up courses.

WC_EEND

Post by WC_EEND »

Thanks for the explanation Desert Rat. I am roughly aware what FADEC does, but I actually had no idea how things worked in the pre-FADEC times (if I recall correctly, Concorde had a rudimentary form of FADEC as well on the RR Olympus engines).

HighInTheSky

Post by HighInTheSky »

I must say that this topic is quite interesting! The question & answer-style is ideal to learn new facts (or refresh our knowledge) about aircraft parts or aircrafts in general.

Keep up the good work Desert Rat and others, we all gain from this in my opnion! ;)

Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

Next one...

Note that you can post pictures as well...
Attachments
IMAG0205.jpg

Juulke

Post by Juulke »

My guess is a fuelfilter assembly?

regi

Post by regi »

a pump?

Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

It's not a fuel filter....but it's a pump.

regi

Post by regi »

okay, here I go:
a hydraulic axial piston pump. ( such as Parker, Vickers, Eaton, Bosch and many others make them )
But I couldn't figure out the installation. You find these attached directly on the engine gearbox. But the picture makes me doubtful, so it could be installed somewhere else. Landing gear?
OK, that is my bet: landing gear hydraulic pump of a ...B737.
Punish me. :)

Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

It's an hydraulic pump fitted on the accessory gearbox of an A330,EDP, (engine driven pump), 3000 psi output pressure,(220 bars),
-top hose;case drain line., lubricate the pump
-middle hose: supply line
-bottom hose:pressure line 3000psi
- wiring goes to the depress solenoid, to switch off the pump, the solenoid has to be energised, meaning the systenm is fail-safe .it's a Eaton pump.

Now, khun Regi, I have one good question for you...you see the fitting on the supply line and on the pressure line?....the one with the little teeth, what type of fitting is this?

...:-)....

regi

Post by regi »

Desert Rat wrote:It's an hydraulic pump fitted on the accessory gearbox of an A330,EDP, (engine driven pump), 3000 psi output pressure,(220 bars),
-top hose;case drain line., lubricate the pump
-middle hose: supply line
-bottom hose:pressure line 3000psi
- wiring goes to the depress solenoid, to switch off the pump, the solenoid has to be energised, meaning the systenm is fail-safe .it's a Eaton pump.

Now, khun Regi, I have one good question for you...you see the fitting on the supply line and on the pressure line?....the one with the little teeth, what type of fitting is this?

...:-)....
Ouch, indeed EDP. Well, I can confort myself that I mentioned Eaton. Probably one of the zillion sub brands of Eaton?
Your question about the fitting, I am not quite sure which one you ask. Is it the small one one the top with the security wiring at both ends and the blue paint ? It looks like a quick coupler, non spill release spring energised connector like from Staubli. So not to be unscrewed, but to be pushed.

Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

I see the one you are looking at it's a MS fitting adapter....and the little thing with the lockwire, it's some kind of special adapter to allow pump interchangeability between pre and post mods pumps...

The one i'm asking are flush with the pump body, they look a little bit like castle nuts, but much smaller....it is a very specific kind of fitting, not very common in aviation...probably designed by the brits though...:-)...

Another question...see the braided harness at the top of the picture....what is it?

regi

Post by regi »

Desert Rat wrote: Another question...see the braided harness at the top of the picture....what is it?
This is just a stainless steel woven flexible, probably with a PTFE lining, welded on 2 SS flanges .
Oops, automatic answer seems to be wrong by closer looking: I see a bayonet fitting, not welded but shrunk on the hose.
So it is a tube that has to be decoupled quite often.
I guess it transports water, not oil, under little pressure.
To a heat exchanger?