Planes that made the news shortly after you saw them

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

SpottairBRU

Planes that made the news shortly after you saw them

Post by SpottairBRU »

Hello fellow Luchtzakkers!

The latest mid-air collision* between a Mustang and a Skyraider makes me think.

I would like to know if you experienced this kind of "event", i.e. seeing a particular plane without knowing it would make the news some days / weeks later...

It happened to me twice this year.

Indeed, I saw that very Skyraider a month ago at the airshow in La Ferté Alais and it feels a bit weird to see pictures of that nice plane with a bit of its wing missing.

Before that one, it was the AF A380 that turned around a CRJ in JFK in April, and that I saw a few days earlier in CDG.

And you, what are your experiences?

* see topic in military aviation
Fabien
Flown: AA5 / A300-310-318-319-320-321-330-340-380 / ATR42 / B717-737-747-757-777 / Bae146 / C130H / CRJ700-900 / Dash8-Q400 / E145-195 / Fokker 50 / HS748 / MD81 / RJ85-100 / Robin DR400

regi

Re: Planes that made the news shortly after you saw them

Post by regi »

I flew the MD-11 of Swissair that crashed
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swissair_Flight_111

And I think also that ex TEA B737 , forgot the details. It was mentioned that one of those ex TEA B737's crashed. ( in Africa?)

And I think I have been flying in this one during my "kaki" colour years:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herculesramp

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

I flew the Turkish Airlines B737-800 that later crashed in Amsterdam : viewtopic.php?t=23506
André
ex Sabena #26567

Devon Rex

Post by Devon Rex »

First time I went to Barcelona for some spotting was in 2008 and I saw EC-HFP for the first time, not knowing that by the time I was editing the picture to try to get it online, the plane was no more since it crashed in Madrid in August that same year.

regi

Post by regi »

Devon Rex wrote:First time I went to Barcelona for some spotting was in 2008 and I saw EC-HFP for the first time, not knowing that by the time I was editing the picture to try to get it online, the plane was no more since it crashed in Madrid in August that same year.
chilling experience.
A friend appeared in the Thai Airways magazine, during a temple visit in Thay Ninh, Vietnam. At the moment that the article appeared, the person had died already. The person who saw his picture was on another trip to Thailand 6 months later, and he had a difficult time to see his dead friend in the magazine.

SilverJET

Post by SilverJET »

On July 21st 2000, I saw the Concorde F-BTSC landing at Paris Charles de Gaulle. Four days later on July 25th 2000, it crashed on take-off from CDG...
Best Regards Raymond

Depretair

Post by Depretair »

Hello,

For me it's about the 747 of Kalitta that crashed in EBBR. I took a picture of the plane landing the day before on the 02. He made a BRU-EWR-BRU before the end of his life.

Cheers,

Oli

mechelsbruggehoofd

Post by mechelsbruggehoofd »

Oostende Air show 26 July 1997
I was happy to have seen Concorde take off,
and was leaving while a small acrobatic "flying lawnmower"
took to the air.
As i was queuing to leave te Ostend airport vicinity,
the stuntplane crashed in the crowd...

Traffic got real difficult from that moment,
and on the way home, we learned from the car radio what had happened.

ATCO ACC

Post by ATCO ACC »

As a radar controller( working in front of a radar screen in our ops-room ), I don't see a lot of traffic ... but I speak everyday with the crews ... Last example : OOMSG that crashed a few weeks ago ... I spoke to this aircraft ( on the FIC frequency ) a few days before the crash ... of course, I don't know if that was the same crew ... What often happens is controlling a traffic, for example an inbound to EBBR, when he enters our airspace via, let's say Luxembourg, making vectoring with him ... and seeing it landing on 25L 15 minutes later when I leave work to go back home ....