Ryanair introduces €2 delays compensation fee

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sn26567

Ryanair introduces €2 delays compensation fee

Post by sn26567 »

No-frills carrier Ryanair plans to start adding a €2 levy on all bookings in an attempt to cover the compensation it must pay out when flights are cancelled or delayed. The additional fee will be added per passenger from April 1, to fund what Ryanair calls “unfair and discriminatory elements of the airline EU261 regulations”.

The European regulations mean airlines must cover the cost of passengers’ accommodation and food if they are delayed for a length of time, denied boarding, or if their flight is cancelled.

Ryanair has long protested against being forced to pay out for passengers that can’t fly due to circumstances outside the airline’s control.

The airline said it paid out €100 million over the past year, arising from “flight cancellations, delays and providing right to care, compensation and legal expenses arising from more than 15,000 flight cancellations and over 2.4 million disrupted passengers”.

Source: ABTN

See also article in Business Traveller
André
ex Sabena #26567

Passenger

Re: Ryanair introduces €2 delays compensation fee

Post by Passenger »

In Belgium, it is illegal to present this as a fee or or levy. It must be included in the ticket price.

Principle: Everything a consumer is forced to pay, must be included in the price which is announced in adverts and before the booking procedure starts. Example for Ryanair: one is not forced to travel with luggage, so a seperate surcharge for a suitcase is allowed.

To cover these expenses as a 2 Euro fee is ridiculous. What's next? 1 Euro for a special fund for pilots who break a leg while skiing? Or 50 cents to cover the unforeseen absence of pregnant crew?

Stij

Post by Stij »

Just an excuse to raise prices and (try to) blame it on someone else. That's all!

Cheers,

Stij

SpottairBRU

Post by SpottairBRU »

Passenger wrote:To cover these expenses as a 2 Euro fee is ridiculous. What's next? 1 Euro for a special fund for pilots who break a leg while skiing? Or 50 cents to cover the unforeseen absence of pregnant crew?
hey, don't give any idea to MOL ;)

More seriously, what bothers me is not really the fact Ryanair wants more money (after all, in other companies, the mandatory compensations of all kinds are a risk taken into account while calculating the fares), but it is again how they present this. Last year, 72 Mio passengers flew with Ryanair. It would mean that by keeping these figures, at 2 EUR per flight per pax, they can get 144Mio EUR in their pocket. They say that last year, these "unfair" compensations cost them 100 Mio EUR. So even if each year it costs them 100 Mio EUR in compensations, they would still make a comfortable profit. And don't forget that last year was particular, with the Icelandic volcano that woke up. I don't think such event will happen every year...

So, this is another way for Ryanair to face growing costs in other sectors (eg. fuel), take an opportunity to gain free publicity and pose itself as a victim (although I've mixed feelings about this particular point of the EU compensations rules): nothing new on the horizon, but still interesting to observe :)

Edit: Stij, you just summed up my point in a very concise way :D
Fabien
Flown: AA5 / A300-310-318-319-320-321-330-340-380 / ATR42 / B717-737-747-757-777 / Bae146 / C130H / CRJ700-900 / Dash8-Q400 / E145-195 / Fokker 50 / HS748 / MD81 / RJ85-100 / Robin DR400

Stij

Post by Stij »

SpottairBRU wrote:Edit: Stij, you just summed up my point in a very concise way :D
Thanks for the compliment! At you service! ;-)

Stij

regi

Post by regi »

Sean, can you give us your view please?

azingrew

Post by azingrew »

Looks very much like an excuse again, but hey, why not. What I don't believe is his 100 million compensation fee, but who's gonna verify. Pure speculation: Ryanair carries around 195.000 passengers a day. There were maybe 20 days of disruption over the year in a very limited number of markets. So, that's, shall we say 400.000 passengers who couldn't travel and had to be reimbursed. At an average of 60 € per passengers, that's 24 Mil. We are far from Mol's figures.

Ryanair, the only airline where a Boeing is an air bus

earthman

Post by earthman »

azingrew wrote:There were maybe 20 days of disruption over the year in a very limited number of markets. So, that's, shall we say 400.000 passengers who couldn't travel and had to be reimbursed. At an average of 60 € per passengers, that's 24 Mil. We are far from Mol's figures.
Don't forget all those cases of whoops-we-just-ran-over-a-deer, technicals, whatnot. As was written in the first post, it was 2.4 million passengers. If it cost them 100 mil, then it's 42 euro per passenger. This includes 600 for a cancelled flight on the longest routes, and small things like oh I don't know a free cup of coffee or so?

What WOULD be nice was if Ryanair actually used those 2 euro to be less hostile towards disgruntled passengers in case the pregnant pilot is suddenly absent because she broke a leg while skiing (does anyone know if that ever happened? - a pregnant female pilot breaking a leg while skiing?).

andorra-airport

Post by andorra-airport »

earthman wrote: What WOULD be nice was if Ryanair actually used those 2 euro to be less hostile towards disgruntled passengers in case the pregnant pilot is suddenly absent because she broke a leg while skiing (does anyone know if that ever happened? - a pregnant female pilot breaking a leg while skiing?).
In that case it's Ryanair's standard procedure , that one of the cabin crew will fly the plane.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

What really keeps on surprising me is that every time Ryanair says something everybody jumps on it like a cat on a bowl of milk. What is it with Ryanair that stirrs so much emotion? It's just an airline that succesfully operates a business. If you don't like it, then don't book it, if you do, good for you, you'll travel cheap (most of the time).

What I think about that fee? I don't agree, but I think the same about the EU compensation system. And with me, a LOT of airline CEO's will agree with ryanair's points of view on this. At least Ryanair honestly tells you where those 2 Euro go to, other airlines just raise the fare and don't say anything, but they do the same thing;

As for pregnant (which are always female by the way) pilots who break a leg skiing, they don't disrupt anything, because pregnant pilots are not allowed to fly during pregnancy ;-)

earthman

Post by earthman »

sean1982 wrote:pregnant (which are always female by the way)
Not always...