Singapore Airlines??

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

SabenaForever

Singapore Airlines??

Post by SabenaForever »

Can somebody tell me why Singapore airlines (passenger flights) left Brussels? I always wonderd why?!!! :?

luchtzak

Re: Singapore Airlines??

Post by luchtzak »

SabenaForever wrote:Can somebody tell me why Singapore airlines (passenger flights) left Brussels? I always wonderd why?!!! :?
Because Singapore couldn't attract much passengers travelling to and from Brussels Singapore decided to put all passengers on a Brussels-Frankfurt codeshared-flight with Lufthansa. Singapore runs a flight from Frankfurt to Singapore.

Try https://www.aviation24.be/modules.php?name ... ile=search and enter 'Singapore', I am sure you will get some topics with some extra information.

greetz,

Bart
:banana:

Skystef

Re: Singapore Airlines??

Post by Skystef »

SabenaForever wrote:Can somebody tell me why Singapore airlines (passenger flights) left Brussels? I always wonderd why?!!! :?
For services to the Benelux market SIA left EBBR in favor of EHAM and RJA did the same a couple of months later. Its a quite obvious move when U compare both airports and the distance between.
I'm afraid more will follow to do so, only the EU traffic will be left over.

SS

TWA

Post by TWA »

Maybe SQ and RJ moved to AMS because it is less expensive than BRU (landingfees, ....)????

TWA

A318

Post by A318 »

They left because EHAM is a huge euopean hub with a lot of connecting flights for passengers coming from Singapore etc. That's what they prefered from EHAM instead of EBBR in my opinion.

Erwin
A Whole Different Animal

Flybe

Post by Flybe »

They left because EHAM is a huge euopean hub with a lot of connecting flights for passengers coming from Singapore etc.
I agree, but it go me thinking. I guess that most passangers from long haul traffic don't connect to other long haul traffic, but rather to (in this case) EU flights. I don't see why someone who comes from Asia would fly through the EU if he wants to go to the USA or so. Africa might be an execption, for example people from the USA connecting to Africa through BRU. But that i think has more to do with the fact that not so many carriers have succesfull flights to Africa.

So if we look at it like that, why then don't airlines come to Brussels, that has quite a good EU network available? Probably because EHAM has a good EU network AND a good long haul network and some incremental sales are never bad...

Couldn't BRU turn the tide by doing what Paris and Amsterdam do: BRU isn't far from Paris AND Amsterdam, so therefore even cheaper (less groundcrew and so on) if airlines come to BRU and abandon Amsterdam AND Paris... Bt i guess that that won't happen either, because first you need a strong carrier like AF or KLM to attrackt attention to BRU. And the chance of AF and KLM letting BRU and SNBA do that is unexisting, i guess...

It's a shame, BRU offers great possibilities to airlines, i think, but most airlines are to rigid to take the risk... A pity!

Greets,

Pieter

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Good reasoning, Pieter.

I woulld add that more airlines would come to BRU if BIAC made a good marketing (similar to what is done for Schiphol) and if in Belgium all the authorities promoted the country in a more efficient way.

Isn't it an awful dispersion of power to see three different Belgian tourist authorities represented abroad: one for Flanders, another one for Wallonia and a third one for Brussels. Conjugate these forces, and you will have a much more effective marketing for Belgium, and Brussels airport as a consequence.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Captain

Post by Captain »

I looks like things will get worse for Brussels airport.

Their will soon be a high speed train which will connect Antwerp to Schipol. Once complete, it will be faster for people in the North of Belgium and in the Antwerp Area to take a train to Schipol than it would for them to take a train to Brussels.

A person wanting to take a train from Antwerp to Brussels Airport has to change in Brussels and then wait for the airport train.

Schipol might attract even more passengers to it's aiport at the mercy of Brussels airport.

For people living in the South of Beligium and Brussels area, the Thalys offers a efficient service to Paris airport.

BIAC are going to have to do a lot to try and stop passengers and airlines from using alternative airports.

Captain

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

It would have been quite different if our wise (!) government had decided to build a high speed train connection to Brussels airport (the co-called diabolo), with links to Antwerp, Liège and Brussels.
André
ex Sabena #26567

OO-VEX

Post by OO-VEX »

sn26567 wrote:It would have been quite different if our wise (!) government had decided to build a high speed train connection to Brussels airport (the co-called diabolo), with links to Antwerp, Liège and Brussels.
Construction works are going on to connect Brussels Airport with Leuven by train. Once the link is available, people from Hasselt, Liège,... don't have to change trains anymore in Brussels and the travel time will be a lot shorter.
The situation is different for a possible train link to Antwerp. I don't think a decision was made already. So this would take many years before people can travel direct from Antwerp to BRU.

OO-VEX

744rules

Post by 744rules »

I think I read somewhere they are planning a direct (high speed :?: )train link between Antwerp and the airport (in stead of going thru Brussels North/Midi and then connecting with the airport shutlle. The path would be the E19 highway and then disconnect around Vilvoorde. The trains Brussels - Leuven - Liege would go thru the airport as well.

:wink:

oovex, looks you beat me by a minute