Air India or Jet Airways, who will join Star Alliance?

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Conti764

Re: Air India: "Jet Airways may join Star Alliance too"

Post by Conti764 »

Stij wrote:
Thomas_C wrote:Can you explain more please?
I guess Conti764 talks about an American Company operating a scissor hub to India instead of an Indian Company operating a scissor hub to the USA...

Cheers,

Stij
Indeed...

Northwest did it for years from AMS (and still have a flight to BOM on their own metal) and if 9W could make it work, why not UA?

There will always be some markets which can have direct flights, but also markets with a substantial Indian American community who cannot guarantee a direct flight.

Now lets take UA's (future) hubs...

Newark (*)
Denver
Chicago
San Francisco
Washington
Houston (*)
Cleveland (*)

(*) Currently CO hubs...

India's biggest cities:

Mumbai
New Delhi
Ahmedabad
Bangalore
Chennai
Kolkata

Some of those cities can be linked with each other point-to-point. But others cannot and for those citypairs a scissor hub can come in handy.

SFO and DEN can be better served from UA's excisting NRT hub. But then there are some citypairs that could be connected via a European scissor hub, and BRU is best positioned for it... If 9W leaves the airport, enough space and slots, excisting infrastructure and experience due to the 9W-cooperation,... and a willing partner to fly intra-Europe.

I am just wondering if such thing could work. I am not saying it might, but it seems viable for me. After all, when the merger is completed, UA will be the world biggest airline with a huge fleet.

fretn

Post by fretn »

UA will never do this. The costs would be too high for them & India is mostly low-yielding.

LJ

Post by LJ »

Conti764 wrote: Northwest did it for years from AMS (and still have a flight to BOM on their own metal) and if 9W could make it work, why not UA?
????? NW only operated Mumbai and Chennai if my recollection is correct (Bangalore never took off due to 9/11). Both destinations are/were served by Nothwest (now Delta) because the Dutch-Indian aviation treaty restricted (and still restricts) KLM from operating Mumbai on its own (next to Delhi). Northwest never operated a scissor hub like 9W.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

LJ wrote:
Conti764 wrote: Northwest did it for years from AMS (and still have a flight to BOM on their own metal) and if 9W could make it work, why not UA?
????? NW only operated Mumbai and Chennai if my recollection is correct (Bangalore never took off due to 9/11). Both destinations are/were served by Nothwest (now Delta) because the Dutch-Indian aviation treaty restricted (and still restricts) KLM from operating Mumbai on its own (next to Delhi). Northwest never operated a scissor hub like 9W.
Could be... I just remember them flying beyond Amsterdam... Didn't know the reason why. But it doesn't actually matter. Could UA pull it off?

Air Ella

Post by Air Ella »

Jet Airways enters into reciprocal Frequent Flyer partnership with BMI. The next step to enter *alliance? ;)

source: http://www.jetairways.com/EN/BE/PressRe ... thBMI.aspx

Mavke

Post by Mavke »

Hi,

can you imagen how much money they throw away if they move to one world or the other alliance ?

i think they move more and more towards *alliance

ken

cnc

Post by cnc »

joining oneworld wouldn't mean they have to stop all codeshare agreements with * members

fretn

Post by fretn »

cnc wrote:joining oneworld wouldn't mean they have to stop all codeshare agreements with * members
Wouldn't it be Skyteam?

cnc

Post by cnc »

skyteam would be more plausible but it doesn't affect my previous post

Boeing767copilot

Post by Boeing767copilot »

Alitalia and Jet Airways sign Memorandum of Understanding. New daily direct services between Milan Malpensa and New Delhi starting from December 5, 2010.

http://corporate.alitalia.com/en/Images ... -39440.pdf

SmilingBoy

Post by SmilingBoy »

If 9W enters *A, I think it would make sense for them to stop flying BRU-North America, and instead add one or two Indian destinations from BRU. Their alliance partners (SN, UA, CO, AC, US) will be able to provide the TATL service more efficiently from their hubs. One-stop "direct" flights are getting less and less common for a reason...

torchus

Post by torchus »

Any updates on this ?

Darjeeling

Post by Darjeeling »

French economic press reports now more and more frequently that talks are very advanced between ST and 9W.

Air France's MD Pierre-Henri Gourgeon has even told (Tour Hebdo) that he is very hopeful to announce a very good news regarding Jet Airways in the coming weeks as the negotiations are now ongoing in India and the outcome could be very positive.

SkyTeam WANTS 9W because they could be a very useful weapon to counteract the gulf carrier's expansion on the main SkyTeam's hubs.

So we could see SV, ME, GA, CI and 9W into SkyTeam soon.

DeltaWiskey

Post by DeltaWiskey »

9W in SkyTeam is idd more logical then in Star, whatever that means for BRU (and SN), sadly enough.

What could/would have happened if Star didn't commit so 'fast' to Air India?

LJ

Post by LJ »

Darjeeling wrote: Air France's MD Pierre-Henri Gourgeon has even told (Tour Hebdo) that he is very hopeful to announce a very good news regarding Jet Airways in the coming weeks as the negotiations are now ongoing in India and the outcome could be very positive.
Unfortunately, we've seen before that optimism results in a failure. Thus I believe it when 9W signs something...
Darjeeling wrote: SkyTeam WANTS 9W because they could be a very useful weapon to counteract the gulf carrier's expansion on the main SkyTeam's hubs.
Isn't it more that Skyteam doesn't want to be left out of an important market (again)? Skyteam itself didn't have India high on their priority list, but the failure in Latin America means that they can't afford to let out of the Indian market aswell..
Darjeeling wrote:So we could see SV, ME, GA, CI and 9W into SkyTeam soon.
Didn't China Airlines already sign a memorandum of understanding with Skyteam? Anyway if everything goes according to the latest rumours we'll see GA as confirmed new member, tomorrow.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

In a recent article about Skyteam and Jet Airways, I read that Skyteam is indeed in advanced negotiations with Skyteam. But Skyteam itself said that they are likely to announce AN Indian airline as future member and this is not necessarilly 9W altough the other important Indian airlines are low cost. AF indeed said that 9W is a good candidate, but 9W itself relativated this and they said that they still want Star because of their coorperation with SN. 9W continous to say that they want to join Star if this is possible, but they keep Skyteam open as their other choice if they can't join Star.

The only question is, will Star continiou with AI and if yes are they going to aggree with 9W to join?

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

Because their cooperation with SN...and because cooperation with UA in the US ! No ? :?

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

nordikcam wrote:Because their cooperation with SN...and because cooperation with UA in the US ! No ? :?
Yes of course every coorperation with every Star member is important, especially these with SN and UA. But I think it was the responsible for France or Europe of 9W, so it's normal that he talks about SN as the codeshare with UA is quite limited trough Europe (except for LHR).

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Star is not longer THE exclusive alliance anymore, because there is not exclusivity. Star became too big and you will see more and more airlines quiting this alliance in favor of an other.

It would be nice to see a fourth alliance and some airlines are thinking of it to start it up.

Jet airways is a very nice airline with a wonderful product. It would be a shame that we could lose this airline. If, and I say very clear IF, we lose this airline it will be not the fault of BRU or SN but due to a third partie.

Other persons with inside info know what I'm talking about. Most of you seen only the top of the iceberg.

LJ

Post by LJ »

MR_Boeing wrote:The only question is, will Star continiou with AI and if yes are they going to aggree with 9W to join?
Dumping AI would be a foolish thing to do as it will harm Star (and certainly LH) in India. AI still has some political backing. Personally I think that the politicians in India will be very important in deciding what will happen with 9W in Star.